Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Westernizing" the game.

2»

Comments

• shantibashantiba Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I think adding new faces as mentioned above does not imply the removal of faces currently available.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    you guys know this isnt just an "American/Western" thing,  they also "Asianize" games going from west to east. You have to take language and cultural standards in to account
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Westernizing usualy can detail changes in the art (clothing and all) and some dialog changes. Sadly tends to dumb down a lot of games as well at times to trivialize the 'progression' which unfortunately most western games are about instant gratification over satisfying rewards. 

Truthfully, we won't see what happens till its released. Trion is a great company at the least so they will take good care of it, though if they dumb it down to much we have yet to see. Hopefully its mostly just translation work.

• SheanixSheanix Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Karteli

There was this bit from a recent Q&A

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/03/archeage-interview-with-trion-worlds-for-upcoming-epic-title/

In this interview, I will be looking to ask Trion Worlds some brief questions, such as why choose ArcheAge, the possible challenges and how the company is going to ramp up its services for this MMORPG epic.

Q: Are there plans to “change” any part of ArcheAge’s content during localization? Or is “westernization” a more appropriate word to use?

A: There’s a lot of conversation going on between Trion and XLGAMES on what makes sense to change. We don’t want to change the essence of the game, but we definitely want to give the Western audiences a game that is more … well .. Western

We’ve found out that XLGAMES had many of the same thoughts as us, so many of the changes will be game wide, not just for the West. We are also working with XLGAMES on some Western-specific changes, such as character creation options, which our players are expecting.

They say they aren't changing the essence of the game, which is a big plus.

I do like the sound of not changing the essence of the game. Gives a little relief but what still worries me here is when the person says "XLGAMES had many of the same thoughts as us, so many of the changes will be game wide". Great, from the sounds of it. But it doesn't say they agreed to all the changes, so some things XL GAMES did not like or did not think would fit. 

Of course, we'll have to wait to really see what changes have been made. Hopefully they are smart enough to understand what got this game hyped up to begin with.

I'll still most likely buy the game because there are a lot of things they would have to screw up for it to be worse than our current MMO's (my opinion) and , I mean, what are the odds? Lol..

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by colddog04

Probably mostly translation and the UI. Even though there is a substantial difference between the way western and eastern audiences view things, I doubt they are going to change the structure of the game significantly.

It already works and is a game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that nonsense.

Pretty much this. 

As long as I can do crazy shit like this, i'll be happy.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Probably mostly translation and the UI. Even though there is a substantial difference between the way western and eastern audiences view things, I doubt they are going to change the structure of the game significantly.

It already works and is a game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that nonsense.

Pretty much this. 

Death from above nows thats something i havent seen in mmos before

• SheanixSheanix Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Pretty much this. 

I saw this video a couple days ago. Amazing to see all aspects of pvp in one long battle haha. I simply cannot wait for this game.