Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger switches back to Unity and Forums get Removed!

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

-So how many people has this idiot threatened now?

Jason, you seriously are one of a kind... Quite frankly, a little bitch. I hope your backers sue the HELL out of you.

• kamenriderkamenrider Member Posts: 41
    Although GM sounds like a great idea, I simply decided not to back the project because I thought he didn't have enough experience in game development.  I didn't have much else to say about it except that I wish them well.  Some people feel a need to launch a crusade to save the world though lol.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    This thread is a perfect example of why some people should hire someone else to do their PR. So many things that should have never been said.
  • AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Mogus

Bill,

I have to say that I'm saddened by your postings here.

#1. I made it clear in my email to you that I had no intentions of taking legal action against mmorpg.com but I did present clear cases of slander and defamation suits that this website is known for harboring. I understand that such things are great for page views and thus advertising revenue, but the intention of my email was to simply remove the slandering and defaming posts from this site that the people who created them continued to post in other mediums.

One of these cases I presented in that email was this one:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-10-internet-defamation-case_x.htm

Another such case is this one: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jury-awards-13-million-texas-defamation-suit-anonymous/story?id=16194071#.UV2SyVeReSo

The fact is, slander and defamation are a big deal. You simply can't run around hiding behind anonymous usernames while spreading lies and falshoods about people in efforts to damage their reputation and or business. There is a difference between saying "His game is awful!" to "hes a liar and a scammer taking your money and running!"

Now, contrary to what some may say, I've made many efforts to make ammends with those who have slandered and or defamed me with no basis whatsoever but that didnt work. I talked to a lawyer about it and he simply said, take screenshots of everything, ask for it to be removed, (which it all was) and then if people persist in their actions, we go from there. I don't want to have to resort to legal action against anyone, but from what I've seen, people really think that their geographic location or anonyminity will protect them.

I wrote a letter the other day that my community manager is preparing to publish today applauding mmorpg.com for their quick reaction to my requests, but to find these posts from you Bill, I have to say I'm dissappointed. As a primary medium for MMORPG gaming, I'd like to think that this site would be more interested in taking an active stance against slander and defamation instead of defending it and encouraging it.

I am not a faceless corporation. I am a man, developing a game with others and have been attacked, lied about, slandered and defamed personally by members of this site. I also have a day job in finance and a family of 5 that depend on me and my livlihood to support them. Personal attacks on my honesty, integrity and the like cause more damage than just swaying people to not support my game. It's damaging to me personally and financially with my day job as well. This is the difference between trolling me, an independent developer and a corporation. It's not about "having thick skin" or "sucking it up with trolls". It's about feeding my children and paying my mortage and not having to worry about some anonymous people on the internet spreading terrible lies about me to serve themselves.

The message is clear from here on, I simply can't and won't sit idle and let this activity continue. Say whatever you like about the game. Hate it, love it, whatever, but when it comes to me and members of my team who are all working very hard on this game, keep to the facts.

That's all I have to say about this.

Thank you.

LMFAO. You sure think a lot of yourself. The link you posted about a defamation lawsuit was in regards to a couple that lost millions of dollars in assets because they were falsely accused of, and tried for rape. They went through REAL anguish. What you are complaining about isn't even in the same universe my friend.

Get a grip on reality, stop posting contradicting information, and give backers what you promised. You do that, and there wont be so much deserved criticism.

Oh ya, and the best way to piss of the interwebz is to feed us bullshit and call it cake. Trying to pretend you are not threating suit is just insulting to the intelligence of even the most meager troll. You are obvious sir, and you scare no one.

Originally posted by Abdiell

Bill,

I have to say that I'm saddened by your postings here.

#1. I made it clear in my email to you that I had no intentions of taking legal action against mmorpg.com but I did present clear cases of slander and defamation suits that this website is known for harboring. I understand that such things are great for page views and thus advertising revenue, but the intention of my email was to simply remove the slandering and defaming posts from this site that the people who created them continued to post in other mediums.

One of these cases I presented in that email was this one:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-10-internet-defamation-case_x.htm

Another such case is this one: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jury-awards-13-million-texas-defamation-suit-anonymous/story?id=16194071#.UV2SyVeReSo

The fact is, slander and defamation are a big deal. You simply can't run around hiding behind anonymous usernames while spreading lies and falshoods about people in efforts to damage their reputation and or business. There is a difference between saying "His game is awful!" to "hes a liar and a scammer taking your money and running!"

Now, contrary to what some may say, I've made many efforts to make ammends with those who have slandered and or defamed me with no basis whatsoever but that didnt work. I talked to a lawyer about it and he simply said, take screenshots of everything, ask for it to be removed, (which it all was) and then if people persist in their actions, we go from there. I don't want to have to resort to legal action against anyone, but from what I've seen, people really think that their geographic location or anonyminity will protect them.

I wrote a letter the other day that my community manager is preparing to publish today applauding mmorpg.com for their quick reaction to my requests, but to find these posts from you Bill, I have to say I'm dissappointed. As a primary medium for MMORPG gaming, I'd like to think that this site would be more interested in taking an active stance against slander and defamation instead of defending it and encouraging it.

I am not a faceless corporation. I am a man, developing a game with others and have been attacked, lied about, slandered and defamed personally by members of this site. I also have a day job in finance and a family of 5 that depend on me and my livlihood to support them. Personal attacks on my honesty, integrity and the like cause more damage than just swaying people to not support my game. It's damaging to me personally and financially with my day job as well. This is the difference between trolling me, an independent developer and a corporation. It's not about "having thick skin" or "sucking it up with trolls". It's about feeding my children and paying my mortage and not having to worry about some anonymous people on the internet spreading terrible lies about me to serve themselves.

The message is clear from here on, I simply can't and won't sit idle and let this activity continue. Say whatever you like about the game. Hate it, love it, whatever, but when it comes to me and members of my team who are all working very hard on this game, keep to the facts.

That's all I have to say about this.

Thank you.

LMFAO. You sure think a lot of yourself. The link you posted about a defamation lawsuit was in regards to a couple that lost millions of dollars in assets because they were falsely accused of, and tried for rape. They went through REAL anguish. What you are complaining about isn't even in the same universe my friend.

Get a grip on reality, stop posting contradicting information, and give backers what you promised. You do that, and there wont be so much deserved criticism.

Oh ya, and the best way to piss of the interwebz is to feed us bullshit and call it cake. Trying to pretend you are not threating suit is just insulting to the intelligence of even the most meager troll. You are obvious sir, and you scare no one.

The best part is where he says "I was going to have my community manager write a glowing statement about MMORPG's handling of this , blah...blah...blah"

Well MMORPG- You fucked up BIG TIME. No glowing letter for you. 

LOLOLOLOLOL

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

(...)

So you would rather want him to gamble and hope that defamation does not affect his real life income severely? Because there is no point in trying to prevent a car crash before it actually happens, right?

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

So in other words, you think the site could and maybe should be sued for slander, and have talked to a lawyer about it and told this site so, but you're not actually directly threatening to sue the site just yet?  Yeah, that clarifies things.  < /sarcasm>

If you wanted to make it clear that you weren't threatening to sue, then you'd have said something to the effect that under no circumstances would you sue mmorpg.com for what random forum members say.  But you didn't, and that speaks volumes.

I won't go into further details on this matter publicly. Assume whatever you'd like. I've made my point.

Thanks.

Slander in the US requires you to prove the person is purposely telling lies about you.  I can say anything I want as long as I believe it. Its on you to prove I dont believe,   not on me to prove I do.  Your lawyer will probably not go any further than a few threats and then consider it not worth his time to pursue.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

The really sad part about all this is that it's just not the way to handle it.

One can't make themselves seem likea great company or make it so that their product is perceived as great simply by trying to stifle any dissenting opinions.

The way to change opinions is to simply be clear, concise and even more... be great.

Act great. Figure out what you need to do to get the message across that you ARE great.

If someone accuses you or your company of something that is not true then address their concern, show evidence and if that doesn't work then indicate that "you have tried to present examples that show that their accusations are not correct but clearly don't have sufficient examples to assuage any fears therefore they will be put on a special mailing list so that when additional information is made available they will be among the first to know."

If it's  a group then invite them to a special presentation addressing their concerrns with examples.

It's not possible to pleas everyone but it is possible to be straightforward and honest and lead by example.

ONe of the things I believe in, especially in my job and in my "other vocation" is that I don't ask anyone to do anything that I don't do myself.

I essentially believe in living by example. This way no one can ever accuse you of not walking the walk.

I think more developers need to stop talking and let those who can talk to the public take over.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    What a load of hot garbage.  This is like Jay and Silent Bob going on their crusade to stop other people from saying bad things about them on the internet.  Not one poster on this forums is any threat to this guy.  His ego is damaged.  That's about it.  
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour 

Edit: Reading the links, the entities being sued where the actual posters, never the forums.  So MMORPG.com could at best imagine themselves being sued as some form of accessory. 

I didnt see anything in those readings where the hosting company of the blogs or any forum owners were even mentioned in the suits.  I understand Jason getting mad about a POSTER making false statements and asking for it to be removed but to think that he has any legal position against MMORPG is idiotic at best and just reinforces the public opinion that he is emotionally immature and has issues controlling his temper, much like a small child.  This can be seen again and again in his postings, I want to be governor, I am selling sex pills, I want to make a MMO, I want to use Unity because it is the bomb, Unity is bad so now I want Hero, Hero is bad now I want Unity, I need kickstarter to raise money but I didnt plan well and now I need to go back for more money, the game will be free, the game will be sub-based.  Lets be honest and admit that he makes decisions very rashly and without much thought or research. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Sovrath

One can't make themselves seem likea great company or make it so that their product is perceived as great simply by trying to stifle any dissenting opinions.

The way to change opinions is to simply be clear, concise and even more... be great.

Act great. Figure out what you need to do to get the message across that you ARE great.

If someone accuses you or your company of something that is not true then address their concern, show evidence and if that doesn't work then indicate that "you have tried to present examples that show that their accusations are not correct but clearly don't have sufficient examples to assuage any fears therefore they will be put on a special mailing list so that when additional information is made available they will be among the first to know."

If it's  a group then invite them to a special presentation addressing their concerrns with examples.

It's not possible to pleas everyone but it is possible to be straightforward and honest and lead by example.

ONe of the things I believe in, especially in my job and in my "other vocation" is that I don't ask anyone to do anything that I don't do myself.

I essentially believe in living by example. This way no one can ever accuse you of not walking the walk.

I think more developers need to stop talking and let those who can talk to the public take over.

Except that takes time and it doesn't make defamation okay in the first place. 

Originally posted by gotha

So in other words, you think the site could and maybe should be sued for slander, and have talked to a lawyer about it and told this site so, but you're not actually directly threatening to sue the site just yet?  Yeah, that clarifies things.  < /sarcasm>

If you wanted to make it clear that you weren't threatening to sue, then you'd have said something to the effect that under no circumstances would you sue mmorpg.com for what random forum members say.  But you didn't, and that speaks volumes.

I won't go into further details on this matter publicly. Assume whatever you'd like. I've made my point.

Thanks.

Slander in the US requires you to prove the person is purposely telling lies about you.  I can say anything I want as long as I believe it. Its on you to prove I dont believe,   not on me to prove I do.  Your lawyer will probably not go any further than a few threats and then consider it not worth his time to pursue.  

THIS-

Not to mention once you become a "Public Figure" things chaamnge as well- Look at all the posts about Obama (and before him Bush)- About the Koch Brothers, actors, actresses and CEOs of every company.

-Slander and defamation requires intentional lies which hurt ones income/reputation... I.e. Someone who would say "Jaxalope was charged with the crime of X in 2009" - The I will SUE YOU!!!!!

This dude goes around threatening everyone. If he ever did win that bid for Governer he would have the national Guard attacking News Outlets for reporting the news...Ususally people like this (who threaten legal action at every turn) really are fraudsters and shady individuals.

The funny thing is, he sat here and ARGUED with people - saying that by changing Engines he "Kew what he was doing and it wasnt wasting time nor money" and NOW he switches back (the people he was arguing with were 100% right and called it)

Originally posted by Talonsin

Edit: Reading the links, the entities being sued where the actual posters, never the forums.  So MMORPG.com could at best imagine themselves being sued as some form of accessory. 

I didnt see anything in those readings where the hosting company of the blogs or any forum owners were even mentioned in the suits.  I understand Jason getting mad about a POSTER making false statements and asking for it to be removed but to think that he has any legal position against MMORPG is idiotic at best and just reinforces the public opinion that he is emotionally immature and has issues controlling his temper, much like a small child.  This can be seen again and again in his postings, I want to be governor, I am selling sex pills, I want to make a MMO, I want to use Unity because it is the bomb, Unity is bad so now I want Hero, Hero is bad now I want Unity, I need kickstarter to raise money but I didnt plan well and now I need to go back for more money, the game will be free, the game will be sub-based.  Lets be honest and admit that he makes decisions very rashly and without much thought or research. 

Jason stated that he never intended to take legal action against MMORPG.com. So you are actually angry over something Jason claimed he didn't do. 

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by gotha

Thanks.

I think you should read the details of those cases.

You are mistaken. Accusations without proof will get you into trouble.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Except that takes time and it doesn't make defamation okay in the first place. 

Of course it takes time. Marketing isn't just throwing up a few ads saying "look we have a game".

It's dealing with public opinion, it's creating proper presentation. They need to get their community managers on this stuff.

It's not hard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Jason stated that he never intended to take legal action against MMORPG.com. So you are actually angry over something Jason claimed he didn't do. 

Its an implies threat.

Jason "says" alot- But read his wording.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

With respect, your interpretation of a written passage is not the be all end all. If someone reads what he wrote and finds it to be threatening or that it angers them, who're you to contest it?

It's all well and good posting about being open-minded. Just practice what you preach, eh?

Hi

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Its an implies threat.

No threat is implied if MMORPG took time to read the articles. So you are either assuming that Jason is assuming that MMORPG is stupid or you are assuming that MMORPG is stupid. 

(...)

So you would rather want him to gamble and hope that defamation does not affect his real life income severely? Because there is no point in trying to prevent a car crash before it actually happens, right?

Its not defamation if it is true, or if it is believed to be true. The only gamble he is taking is hoping he can act in the manner that he has, and actually have a player base that supports the project. He is alienating any potential support there might ever have been for the game. The car crashed the second he threated a lawsuit, and thought so little of the mmorpg community that he thought a jedi mind trick would work. "This is not the lawsuit you're looking for."

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

Look, it's really simple.

There are some specific members of this site whom I have a very open and close case against if I were to pursue it. It's not rocket science to summize the length at which some have gone to spread false accusations and rumors about me publicly.

I could simply file suit and let it sort itself out.

I have been attempting to spare myself and those in ffocus of further turmoil that is compleley unecessary and protect mmorpg from any future liability as well.

Anyone else would just be trying to cash on on the oppottunity. I simply want it to end.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Its an implies threat.

So you are either assuming that Jason is assuming that MMORPG is stupid.

I think this is the obvious answers. He assumes we are stupid, and then wonders why he has page after page of negative criticism.

I think you should read the details of those cases.

You are mistaken. Accusations without proof will get you into trouble.

I don't know why you fan flames and complain about the burns.

Hi

There are some specific members of this site whom I have a very open and close case against if I were to pursue it. It's not rocket science to summize the length at which some have gone to spread false accusations and rumors about me publicly.

I have been attempting to spare myself and those in ffocus of further turmoil that is compleley unecessary and protect mmorpg from any future liability as well.

Anyone else would just be trying to cash on on the oppottunity. I simply want it to end.

I wish you good luck on trying to convince a jury that some 13 year old forum trolls defamed you with the intent to cause your or your business harm. You have to prove they did it knowingly, and prove how it has cost you money. Since you do not yet even have a marketable product, it seems to me that this is a whole lot of bluster.

You are only hurting yourself, and your games credibility. You are wrong on this one, sir.

I wouldn't put it past a lawyer that associates with clients like yourself to be above overselling case prospects. 

Good luck with the law suits though buddy, I'm sure it will make your life a lot better.

Hi

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Seems simple to me developer instead of behaving responsibly and either ignoring negative posts on internet forums like say 99% of the entire population fo the earth or providing proof for countering said posts,acts at a Tasos level of immaturity  and requests an independent site censor posts they don't agree with coz their feelings are hurt.

I really don't care if there was a tacit threat of legal action or not,obviously fanbois won't see it and haters well you know the usual story.I don't think MMORPG should of caved to pressure though Ic an understadn them nto wanting to waste time and effort.

Bottom lien this gaem that I was interested in no longer does and doesn't deserve any publicity this forums may of provided including this thread and my post  8)

This discussion has been closed.