Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger switches back to Unity and Forums get Removed!

Comments

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by mmoski
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Probably removed the forums because it's not actually a real game in development.  It's just some random guy's pet project with no real chance at going anywhere.

It's amateur vaporware.

Yeah, unless a developer has a lot of clout and experience backing them then the term "real development" is opinionated, that's not to say that "pet projects" won't be successful though, some of the best games that push the industry have come from pet projects.

Those rely on talent, experience, and or dedication. The team behind Greed Monger hasn't displayed any of these traits so I doubt it will fall into that category lol. 

Yeah I couldn't agree more, chance are that it will, it's quite common to see in development forums, even with many released games as well, they either don't do well or lack promotion, something's just get a graphical overhaul and are an instant hit (angry birds anyone ? hold on isn't that...0.o ).

• ShadowhellzShadowhellz Member Posts: 16
    Is it odd that the forums pulled up fine for me?
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

The forums weren't really being used were they?

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by taus01

Why did the Greed Monger Forums get removed? <snip>

Hmm, posted on 4/01/13.....

Anyway, the forums and in fact the whole website with it's updates and pre alpha preview video work just fine for me.

• ImmortalWatcherImmortalWatcher Member Posts: 3
    I believe the topic is about the forum getting removed from MMORPG. It doesn't appear in the gameslist, I assume its to prevent more ppl to buy into the idea of a mmo made from an inexperienced developer for 90k
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by ImmortalWatcher
    I believe the topic is about the forum getting removed from MMORPG. It doesn't appear in the gameslist, I assume its to prevent more ppl to buy into the idea of a mmo made from an inexperienced developer for 90k

At least that makes more sense though it had seemed to me that GM was being lambasted for it, especially given the continued bashing in this thread.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    There are far more promising projects on the horizon than this garbage, anyway.  I feel bad for the people who backed this on kickstarter, though.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by redcapp

There are far more promising projects on the horizon than this garbage, anyway.  I feel bad for the people who backed this on kickstarter, though.

I don't. Until "backers" are more sensible with their money, crap like this will happen. And this won't be the last time, either.
  • waffleyonewaffleyone Member Posts: 29

This whole fiasco is pretty funny, I played a bit of a role in it, although it wasn't going to take long before somebody/something made their official forums declare martial law. I saw the game, was fairly interested, but held out giving them my money because they had no credibility. When I saw the deception and rage exhibited by the lead upon others drawing attention to his lack of qualifications before the kickstarter ended (so people could save their money), the whole forum went on 'anti-troll' heavily moderated lockdown, with others participating and being actually shunned as jealous. It was pretty stupid.

Essentially you've got a fellow with very little direction leading around a mostly inexperienced team with almost no chance to go anywhere at all. And thats before either middleware swap. I'm not too surpised the mmorpg.com greed monger section was removed, though I am curious who decided to do it.

Edit: Regarding 'feeling bad for the backers'... I did, for a little while, until I realized how clearly risky the project was, and that if you're going to take your money and light it on fire, you deserve the wallet full of ashes.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

To be fair, at least the name of the game gives you a clue that he's just going to take your money.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Appleton requested that the forum here be removed due to all the negativity.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Well, so much for Kickstarter being the biggest new thang evah.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by redcapp

I don't. Until "backers" are more sensible with their money, crap like this will happen. And this won't be the last time, either.

me neither.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/253/198/33274fe9d780313f00789f71eb1cb560_large.jpg?1352483589

Let's internet

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Appleton requested that the forum here be removed due to all the negativity.

You know what's worse than people talking negatively about your game? Nobody talking about it at all.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    This whole project just screamed "massive failure" from the start.

Unprofessional conduct by a lead dev is never a good sign, and this guy is just over the top with his inflated ego and personal attacks on critics.

Add lack of experience, shady business antics and overall lack of direction and credibility, and you've got wholesale disaster.

People stupid enough to give this guy their money deserve to feel cheated. I wish gamers were less willing to buy into these fake-ass indie "devs" promising to make great sandbox games
    out of nothing. MO, DF, ER, Xsyon, Salem... We really should know better by now.

But some people are just way too naive and hungry for something new, and willingly throw money at anyone with a "vision".

Kickstarter has made this tendency even more apparent, but I think a backlash is coming as more and more people feel scammed by fake "devs" promising the moon. Embers of Caerus will probably be the next KS disaster; those guys are also amateurs painting a grand picture of a revolutionary MMO based on nothing but words and concept art, and some people are buying it without asking any questions. It will not end well either.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    I am rarely surprised when I hear a new 'Greed Monger' story.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Biskop
    This whole project just screamed "massive failure" from the start.

Unprofessional conduct by a lead dev is never a good sign, and this guy is just over the top with his inflated ego and personal attacks on critics.

Add lack of experience, shady business antics and overall lack of direction and credibility, and you've got wholesale disaster.

People stupid enough to give this guy their money deserve to feel cheated. I wish gamers were less willing to buy into these fake-ass indie "devs" promising to make great sandbox games
    out of nothing. MO, DF, ER, Xsyon, Salem... We really should know better by now.

But some people are just way too naive and hungry for something new, and willingly throw money at anyone with a "vision".

Kickstarter has made this tendency even more apparent, but I think a backlash is coming as more and more people feel scammed by fake "devs" promising the moon. Embers of Caerus will probably be the next KS disaster; those guys are also amateurs painting a grand picture of a revolutionary MMO based on nothing but words and concept art, and some people are buying it without asking any questions. It will not end well either.

I am with you on this, i see a huge "fallout" of failed kickstarter projects in the near future. All these Projects that got funded on a few concept pictures and wild promises. Some of the big names that have recently risen from the grave of old school game developers are no exception to this, they can fail too.

Not including the ones that are quite obviously scams like the Millionair lady that wants money to send her little daughter to a game developer camp to make an RPG.

No one makes a sandbox MMORPG in less than 6 months with only $90,000

from: "Unity is cool, how do i import all these assets i bought?" ~ Jason Appleton

to: "We change Engines twice but are ready with an Alpha release early April" ~ Jason Appleton

Let this be a warning to everyone not to buy into any hype. A lesson can be learned here.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

I'm not going to address the things I've read in this thread for reasons I won't go into... All I am going to say though is that inspite of what the thoughts are concerning Greed Monger we ARE moving forward with Development. We will be into Alpha nearly on schedule. We already have people running around with the world. Our Server Side Seamless tech will be online shortly and our Server Cluster continues to expand as needed. Our Team continues to expand which now includes some World Builders who have worked in the industry for a while including on games such as Crysis 1 and 2. Our Q&A Department is up and running and includes 1 Windows Tester, 1 Mac Tester, and Soon a 3rd tester who uses both Windows and Mac so we can ensure equal playability on the range of supported Platforms. 

Here's a link to our latest video:

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• DaveBelcherDaveBelcher Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Embers of Caerus will probably be the next KS disaster; those guys are also amateurs painting a grand picture of a revolutionary MMO based on nothing but words and concept art, and some people are buying it without asking any questions. It will not end well either.

Actually, we are very, very far from disaster, but thank you for the mention! :)

I did question the Greedmonger claims of having almost limitless customisation in an MMO setting (having to battle that challenge ourselves, we know how hard that acutally is even to manage limited customisation in an MMO setting without major networking/storage/memory issues), but I guess given our own project I'm more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. The information shared in this thread is very interesting though...

It really is a crying shame that people seek to abuse and exploit the awesome vehicle for helping indie devs that kickstarter is. That goes, in my mind, for large studios that don't need the money almost as much as for devs who just can't deliver. Projects like The Repopulation show exactly what kickstarter SHOULD be for, and without kickstarter we wouldn't be where WE are as a studio, so anything that damages kickstarter and the good will for it in the community makes me a sad puppy :(

Dave

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Why did the Greed Monger Forums get removed? Was this a request from Jason Appleton to remove the negative information posted about the game?

In case this hasn't been answered yet, yes.  He emailed me directly and asked us to remove the negative posts about the game.  He also hinted at taking legal action if we didn't remove the posts of our users, and we decided we didn't need a baseless lawsuit.  

If you want to blame someone for the removal of the game listing and forums, blame Jason Appleton.  But when someone threatens us with legal action, we can either a.) ignore it or b.) react with what we think is appropriate.  In Greed Monger's case, it's probably just better to igore its existence as a website.  

I wish the Greed Monger devs well, but I'm not too thrilled with how they handled the negativity our forum users tossed their way.  If they can't take the criticism and claims of trolls, they're in for a rude awakening in this industry.  

Maybe one day we'll re-add the game to our list, but that depends on whether or not our users are allowed to post about it without the site being under threat of legal recourse.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Why did the Greed Monger Forums get removed? Was this a request from Jason Appleton to remove the negative information posted about the game?

In case this hasn't been answered yet, yes.  He emailed me directly and asked us to remove the negative posts about the game.  He also hinted at taking legal action if we didn't remove the posts of our users, and we decided we didn't need a baseless lawsuit.  

If you want to blame someone for the removal of the game listing and forums, blame Jason Appleton.  But when someone threatens us with legal action, we can either a.) ignore it or b.) react with what we think is appropriate.  In Greed Monger's case, it's probably just better to igore its existence as a website.  

I wish the Greed Monger devs well, but I'm not too thrilled with how they handled the negativity our forum users tossed their way.  If they can't take the criticism and claims of trolls, they're in for a rude awakening in this industry.  

Maybe one day we'll re-add the game to our list, but that depends on whether or not our users are allowed to post about it without the site being under threat of legal recourse.

Wow, so that guy thinks he can stifle free speech on the internet. You guys did the right thing by removing the forum for their "game". It seems his goal is to kill his little project before it even really starts. If that  truly is his goal, well, at least he'll succeed at something.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Woah, that's pathetic (of him, not you, no one wants to get sued even if it's a bullshit case that'll get thrown out). Anyone supporting this game at this point must have a screw loose or three.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well even last month they where posting screenshots up on their facebook page like this one

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=490308534369506&set=a.421418307925196.94807.416222818444745&type=1&theater

quite clearly the default hero engine Character model.. so the move back must have been recent or they where posting old pics.

Even if this guy have now managed to get a decent team togeather he has still gone about things totally wrong and other than a few loyal followers i dont think many would risk spending money on this game..

Good luck to them tho.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hehehe.

I'd like to thank whoever it was that warned us about the status of the project... or lackthereof.

Cheers! 

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    He threatened to sue mmorpg.com because of some negative comments? Wow, this dude really is something...

But I guess that was to be expected from a lead dev who actively engages in flame wars and baiting.
This discussion has been closed.