Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there not more hype about this game?

lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108

Sounds like your average mmo but on steroids.. isnt that what we've all been waiting for? I know this site has a big "immersion" crowd, or whatever, who want to play skyrim online, good luck with that.

But I'm talking about the MMO crowd, HELLA end game, a more dynamic action combat style (not your basic wow/swtor), leveling that doesn't suck and gives you options (paths). PvP that resembles GvG, I've heard about arena as well and battlegrounds, this game is my absolute dream, matter of fact I'm about to uninstall my mmos/games so I can focus on school the next couple months before this one comes out or untill I can get into beta, because I KNOW I won't be letting this one pass.

Comments

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Most people are not waiting for your average mmo on steriods, they are either waiting for the next comming of wow or something totally unique.  There wont be another wow style mmo that gets as big as wow, so its next comming wont happen.

This game does look fun, its your standard mmorpg though...and i know few people who cant wait for another game thats the same recipe they have been playing since 2004.

I think the game will have a decent fanbase, like Rift, but wont make any big waves.  Also i think lack of hype is a good thing, huge hype results in about 90% of those who are hyped turing into rabid haters who take their eventual and inevitable experience of growing bored or burned out on a game super personally and with a lot of emotional baggage.  The less people you get hyped up like this the less devoted haters who try to turn off any and all players from the game...a phenomina i cant stand these days...dont like the game anymore so move on like an adult ect.

I should point out that the look of the game being wow-esque is going to do some major damage as well, a lot of people look skin deep on games and think graphical prowress is a sign of a good game.  While its nice to have a good looking game, and i dont care about or really care for cartoon artwork..i think choosing this route will hurt them.

Some of Wildstars features do have amazing potential, im just nervous that faction locked guilds will ruin any amount of decent guild vs guild base stomping fun...a type of endgame activity typically reserved for sandboxes (and why i love sandboxes so much more than themeparks).  If they go the sandbox route and allow cross faction guilds the game will have immense replayabiltiy...if they go themepark and lock the community to a faction for the entierty of the game its guild vs guild aspect will be a snooze fest. 

Game has potential, lack of hype is good for a healtyh fanbase (imo) and barring they go for the themepark faction lock i think the games going to keep me busy for quite a long time.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I have never liked that WoW cartoony look.  If it launches with all these great features, maybe I will give it a try, but not sure I can  get past the look of the game.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Some of Wildstars features do have amazing potential, im just nervous that faction locked guilds will ruin any amount of decent guild vs guild base stomping fun...a type of endgame activity typically reserved for sandboxes (and why i love sandboxes so much more than themeparks).  If they go the sandbox route and allow cross faction guilds the game will have immense replayabiltiy...if they go themepark and lock the community to a faction for the entierty of the game its guild vs guild aspect will be a snooze fest. 

Game has potential, lack of hype is good for a healtyh fanbase (imo) and barring they go for the themepark faction lock i think the games going to keep me busy for quite a long time.

With Warplots, an aspect based on multiple person/guild creation of a base and fighting other bases, the faction lock shouldn't matter as much.  While they didn't give a definate answer, they said at present warplot battles can happen against the same faction.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by lolunatic

Sounds like your average mmo but on steroids.. isnt that what we've all been waiting for? I know this site has a big "immersion" crowd, or whatever, who want to play skyrim online, good luck with that.

But I'm talking about the MMO crowd, HELLA end game, a more dynamic action combat style (not your basic wow/swtor), leveling that doesn't suck and gives you options (paths). PvP that resembles GvG, I've heard about arena as well and battlegrounds, this game is my absolute dream, matter of fact I'm about to uninstall my mmos/games so I can focus on school the next couple months before this one comes out or untill I can get into beta, because I KNOW I won't be letting this one pass.

nah... looks like another attempt to a WoW model mmorpg "bigger and better!" 

who knows though it looks like there is a market for it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I like the humor and the cool ideas but just can't get past the cartoons.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    People have some notion that pretty graphics will make a game great...roflmao...I wonder why it is that all the "Great" MMOs had horrible graphics...coincidence?
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    It has plenty of hype. Especially considering it's not bringing a lot of new ideas. I do plan to play it though, as long as it's not subscription based.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

this is only mmorpg i am curently looking forward, well there is Arche Age which i want to try, but this one is above that

all those " next thing " failures with zero content and flavor in them is thing of a past for me and i really couldnt give a shit about 90% of currently hyped mmorpgs , something like wildstart that focuses on hardcore players , even if I aint one anymore, ill prefer that over random casual 1 month cotent mmorpgs we keep getting

might never have time to go back to raiding but it gets me hyped atleast

if they droped preorders with beta acces i would get that instantly  ( and it been very long time since i put down money on game release for mmorpgs )

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Ultimately a question of graphics is a personal taste.  LIke some of the above posters, the cartoon look is not appealing to me and hard to get past.   If the cartoon look of the game doesnt bother you, then maybe you should give this game a try.  Most likely I will pass.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    And the next MMO to hype in the list is.......!!WildStar!!!. Didnt you learn anything after gw2?. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I like the humor shown in Wildstar so far.  Never cared for the humor in WoW, so that's a personal plus.  The graphics sit just fine with me.  As long as they are well done, I don't care that much about whether it's cartoony or not.  

While I understand that certain things in a game may be personally anathema, but if it's really good in every other feature.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by lolunatic

the fact that MMO has taken on the meaning of "on rails themepark" for so many people makes me beyond sad. this just further proves that there has been little to no innovation since WoW came out, because for the vast majority of players, WoW was their intro into the MMO landscape.

time for something new, designers and devs. or god help us all.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    This is my most anticipated game. I love the cartoon look as it makes it look fun and interesting. But that is just personal taste. It wont hurt it's success if success is measured by numbers. It can bring more people... many who dont play MMOs. It may not get many people here though...
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Many MMO hipsters here thinking they're too cool for "cartoon" graphics regardless of features or performance. For that reason some will never give it the time of day.

It's the main title I'm looking forward to most honestly.  The path system, player housing with large interactive plots of land, warplots, action combat, 40 mans and all in a humorous Futurama-style sci-fi setting.   It's just my kind of game. image

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I will be playing this one with my 8 year old but I doubt it is one I would play without him.  It is made by former WoW designers, it looks like WoW and seems to raid like WoW.  I dont want to play WoW with guns, I already played a hunter in the original.  The graphics dont bother me, the housing is a great addition and the warplots could be interesting but I am not holding out too much hope until I actually play it.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I believe that NC soft has been holding off on the marketing budget because Guild wars two. On the other hand I was a little lost and turned off by the first video I had seen. Because the video was thrown out there with  only the background story of one fraction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2FhB3iYv4Ng But after doing a little research and reading I became very excited about this game. Not only does  It seem to address all of  my current requirements for an MMORPG it surpasses them. And with this most recent video what is Wildstar  this really solidified it for me and that this is the game I have been looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_4_riSI7Ydg I've been really  bouncing back and forth between Wildstar  and Elder scrolls online. As it stands right now most likely I will gladly purchase both, but I am concerned with Elder scrolls online combat and that it does not address hard-core raiding.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Seems like decent hype to me, only 0.02 or 0.03 dif from the other game on the meter - for judging that.

This game has moving dynamic quest givers who travel zones, that's pretty cool in my book. Also, all sorts of adventure/dynamic events going on in game.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Wildstar comes off as a lesser version of Aion.  Aion has more realistic art styles than Wildstar, the character creater is one of the best I've seen in Aion.

I picked Aion for comparison because both games have the usual themepark, dungeons, raids, and housing.  Except only basic housing in Aion is instanced - the higher quality houses exist in real zones, where other players can walk around the neighborhoods, go inside others houses uninvited, and such.

While Wildstar definitely has quirky humor (which I like), I was really turned off when housing was going to be fully instanced.  Nothing huge really separates this game from other games.

Telegraphing is also something I really don't like (those red shapes constantly on the ground for every fight, holding your hand & showing you where not to stand).

So why is Wildstar not getting hype?  It's kind of more of the same everyone is already used to.  NPC slaughter anyone?  If Wildstar plays like every other game, why is it worth my time?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It looked like a WoW clone to me at first.  In addition, I had a bad first experience of it back at Gamescon or whatever whereby they obnoxiously filled an entire area with chants that stuck with me for an entire year of being completely anti-wildstar.

But the more I look at it and actually learn about the systems, the more I see that it is anything but a WoW clone.

I really enjoy the whole "Settler / Explorer / Soldier / Etc." angle where you have different tasks in addition to the main story.  As a settler you can actually manipulate the world, set down buildings, and add stuff to NPC towns that other people are able to use.  Explorer you gain tasks exploring new areas and even have access to an underground system that has rich minerals that are rare above, and you can invite anyone else to join you for quick passage around the world or collecting these minerals.  Soldier is also interesting in the same way (there are other types as well, but they elude me).  It really gives that sort of vibe that it's trying to get people to work together and help each other even though it's not wholely mandatory.

The housing system looks great and has a lot of good ideas; the flow of each area looks like they know what they're doing.  The new combat system makes it stand more apart from the old one they showed back in the day that was basically WoW in itself.  

I daresay that this has become my most hyped game after actually looking into it and doing some research.  When I played Archage I just kept on wishing it was Ultima Online and couldn't get into it at all when I visited a friend who let me play for a few days.  But Wildstar seems to nail everything on the head from what I've seen, the developers that have talked about it , and the over all feeling of the game.  They were even talking about rewarding addon makers that improve their UI in some way.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Karteli

Wildstar comes off as a lesser version of Aion.  Aion has more realistic art styles than Wildstar, the character creater is one of the best I've seen in Aion.

I picked Aion for comparison because both games have the usual themepark, dungeons, raids, and housing.  Except only basic housing in Aion is instanced - the higher quality houses exist in real zones, where other players can walk around the neighborhoods, go inside others houses uninvited, and such.

So why is Wildstar not getting hype?  It's kind of more of the same everyone is already used to.  NPC slaughter anyone?  If Wildstar plays like every other game, why is it worth my time?

one of Wildstars paths is the explorer - where emphasis is NOT on slaughter

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/01/the-nexus-telegraph-walking-the-wildstar-path/

Explorer content is all about getting a handful of beacons directing you off to certain places and just going off to find one. If you come across a location where you can do a quest you didn't know about, you will just get a radio call directing you to do that quest. And you can do or not do that quest as you feel. There's a sense of freedom in pursuing the sort of content you want at any given moment. The point is asking how you want a given character to play.

If you're just going to play one character, this is actually easier. Do you like jumping puzzles and searching? Then you want to be an explorer. You aren't missing out on some desperately fun content by doing so because the other paths are meant for people who find other activities more fun than going off to explore.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

It looked like a WoW clone to me at first.  In addition, I had a bad first experience of it back at Gamescon or whatever whereby they obnoxiously filled an entire area with chants that stuck with me for an entire year of being completely anti-wildstar.

But the more I look at it and actually learn about the systems, the more I see that it is anything but a WoW clone.

I really enjoy the whole "Settler / Explorer / Soldier / Etc." angle where you have different tasks in addition to the main story.  As a settler you can actually manipulate the world, set down buildings, and add stuff to NPC towns that other people are able to use.  Explorer you gain tasks exploring new areas and even have access to an underground system that has rich minerals that are rare above, and you can invite anyone else to join you for quick passage around the world or collecting these minerals.  Soldier is also interesting in the same way (there are other types as well, but they elude me).  It really gives that sort of vibe that it's trying to get people to work together and help each other even though it's not wholely mandatory.

The housing system looks great and has a lot of good ideas; the flow of each area looks like they know what they're doing.  The new combat system makes it stand more apart from the old one they showed back in the day that was basically WoW in itself.  

I daresay that this has become my most hyped game after actually looking into it and doing some research.  When I played Archage I just kept on wishing it was Ultima Online and couldn't get into it at all when I visited a friend who let me play for a few days.  But Wildstar seems to nail everything on the head from what I've seen, the developers that have talked about it , and the over all feeling of the game.  They were even talking about rewarding addon makers that improve their UI in some way.

One thing to keep in mind when you compare WS to WoW is the devs at Carbine are the core devs that created WoW and left in 2005 to form Carbine.  The reasons the games artwork looks a lot like WoW is they are the same artists. The vision to form Carbine and make WS was to make a game for hardcore players not the casuals that modern day MMOS only cater to.

The game does sound like a dream as a raider it sounds amazing with paths, hardcore challening raiding, all the layers, housing and even the warplots.  Moving away from the pervailing MMO philosophy of every wins no matter how bad they play to rewarding the best players is so nice to hear,  I am not a pvp player but the idea that you can build up a warplot and then lose it if you lose the warplot fight is amazing.  MMOs have moved so far ffrom risk and reward.  It is nice to see it coming back.

But I just want to add that we should all temper our expectations.  It is nice to hear all these wonderful things but often we have been dissaponted in the past.  WS has givrn me hope we may actually get a challenging MMO made for real players rather than the fast food MMOs we have been fed the last few years that are only made for masses. 

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Lol since when does realistic mean better? Art style is 100% opinion based.

Aion has paths that deal with things other than killing npcs? How many games allow you to build a fortress (warplot) for pvp? Some do similiar things, but it is hardly the norm. How many games allow you to spawn raid bosses that you have beat previously to attack your enemies?

While Wildstar definitely has quirky humor (which I like), I was really turned off when housing was going to be fully instanced.  Nothing huge really separates this game from other games.

Housing may be instanced, but the social aspect is still alive and strong. People can come and go as they please (or however much you restrict them) from your housing area. They can take advantage of anything you have in your housing area whether you are logged on or not.

Telegraphing is also something I really don't like (those red shapes constantly on the ground for every fight, holding your hand & showing you where not to stand).

Telegraphing can be turned off. Not everyone is a pro MMO player and they enjoy a little help. Personally, I don't and will turn them off. 

I mentioned several other easy points to prove this point wrong. Also, semi action based combat is not the norm just yet so that is another area where it stands out from 95% of other games out there save for a few.

Very poor points imo. Also, while innovation is great, if you are looking for all of these game changer mechanics to be added to MMOs then you are not a fan of the genre anymore and you should stick to something else. Do you know what the definition of genre is? It is a way to categorize a particular kind, style and/or type of game.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Waldoe

Lol since when does realistic mean better? Art style is 100% opinion based.

Comment was made to compare games.  Wildstar's character creator is abyssmal .. although better than SWTOR, which isn't saying much.

Aion has paths that deal with things other than killing npcs? How many games allow you to build a fortress (warplot) for pvp? Some do similiar things, but it is hardly the norm. How many games allow you to spawn raid bosses that you have beat previously to attack your enemies?

Warplot's are instanced too, so Whooptie Doo?  Since it's all instanced, the raid boss inclusion also falls into the Whooptie Doo category.  Instanced, instanced, instanced ...

Housing may be instanced, but the social aspect is still alive and strong. People can come and go as they please (or however much you restrict them) from your housing area. They can take advantage of anything you have in your housing area whether you are logged on or not.

Like every other game, which was my point.  Again, nothing innovative.

Telegraphing can be turned off. Not everyone is a pro MMO player and they enjoy a little help. Personally, I don't and will turn them off. 

So everyone will be at a disadvantage when they turn it off.  Having it in the first place is shitty.  That's what burns me.  Your comment is about as useful as ESO fans saying people who want to use 1st person can, but everyone else will be doing 3rd person.  Not everyone will be on the same ground, and having the option will drag the game down to the lowest common denominator - Telegraphing ON, 1st person perspective OFF, for instance.

Argue that one till the cows come home, but you add a feature to make gameplay simpler and people will use it.  It's not necessarily what keeps them around, however.  Good features won't ever want to be turned off.

I mentioned several other easy points to prove this point wrong. Also, semi action based combat is not the norm just yet so that is another area where it stands out from 95% of other games out there save for a few.

Oh 95%.  Source please!

Action based combat .. Ok then .. you said a mouth full, didn't you?

Very poor points imo. Also, while innovation is great, if you are looking for all of these game changer mechanics to be added to MMOs then you are not a fan of the genre anymore and you should stick to something else. Do you know what the definition of genre is? It is a way to categorize a particular kind, style and/or type of game.

Very poor rebuttal, IMO.  Innovation isn't great.  If you think more of the same makes for a great game, then you might want to try other games.  Well, if you think a highly instanced game makes for a quality MMORPG, then you might want to rethink your strategy for fan criticism.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

I hope it isn't hyped. It looks like a good game with lots of potential. Hate to see it ruined by the HATERS that love to HATE a hyped game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    because NCSoft used their marketing budget on GW2.