Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ridicilous F2P limitation

I seen lot of F2P limitations, but SWTOR wins all : Free accounts dont have enough space on toolbars to put all skills

LOL , talking about making it completely pain to play for free...

Well played EA ....

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Yes SWTOR F2P is crap..they should just call it a free trial because that is what it is.

However, what i find more ridiculous than SWTOR F2P limitations is that you decided to play SWTOR....again! even though you knew about the crappy limitations. 

You just declared last week that SWTOR has worst class skills and combat in last 10 years so all i want to know is are you a masochist? why you love punishing yourself week after week. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    There is no such thing as a free lunch!

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Isn't that aged old news? Talking about beating a dead horse...Its F2P model is still the worst though.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by lufiaz
    Isn't that aged old news? Talking about beating a dead horse...Its F2P model is still the worst though.

Eh...I don't know. EQ2 is really awful unless they changed it any.

Anyways, gotta agree with Doogie here in relation to the OP. Why would you even bother OP considering you think so little of the gameplay? It is one thing to say there are problem areas but quite another to say it has the worst gameplay you've seen in ten years.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by tinuelle

The more ppl come to realise that the less upset they will be.

God forbid every game was F2P with no limits, no cash shops etc, because there would not be a single AAA MMO ever made again, why would you when your not going to have any money coming in to pay anyone with.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by tinuelle

The more ppl come to realise that the less upset they will be.

God forbid every game was F2P with no limits, no cash shops etc, because there would not be a single AAA MMO ever made again, why would you when your not going to have any money coming in to pay anyone with.

I fail to see how those that griped about the skill bar limitation means they expect no limits, cash shops, etc. That is a pretty severe one compared to many other f2p games.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    If 4 skill bars are not enough, you are just not skilled enough

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by FromHell

2 skill bars. And I am talking all skill bars. Including ones in rotation.

In same time you are given huge number of pointless skills that do mostly the same thing.

Kind of ironic :P

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Yes SWTOR F2P is crap..they should just call it a free trial because that is what it is.

However, what i find more ridiculous than SWTOR F2P limitations is that you decided to play SWTOR....again! even though you knew about the crappy limitations. 

You just declared last week that SWTOR has worst class skills and combat in last 10 years so all i want to know is are you a masochist? why you love punishing yourself week after week. 

Its horrible. Isnt it.

I guess I do it because of story thats still after all solid bioware stuff.

And getting over "register email" bug was kind of a challenge.

But now i am definetly done with it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    If you enjoy the story, you could just pay the sub fee right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

this

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

In same time you are given huge number of pointless skills that do mostly the same thing.

why do I have 4 skill bars then? I didn´t pay anything since August. I think I´m "preferred status".

I play flashpoints and warzones, some class story, all without a dime.

I don´t care for cosmetic stuff so F2P is completely sufficient for me

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Manolios

this

The F2P model here seriously shoves new players into the subscription model or the cartel market. The game is so shallow that Bioware even had to resort to hanging a price tag on basic features (UI elements, Helmet on/off, etc) that are normally free in other  F2P/Freemium MMO's.

I would suggest to any gamer interested in SWTOR to just pony up the $15 sub to check SWTOR and play it the way it should play and spare themselves the frustation of the F2P restrictions. Going through the class story/stories is worth it, then when you are done,  you are done. Participation in end game content will require purchase of the expansion when it releases in a couple of weeks because the level cap rises to 55.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

why do I have 4 skill bars then? I didn´t pay anything since August. I think I´m "preferred status".

ehmmm...how many flashpoints and warzones per week? i think only 3 right?

and btw i dont want to let you down, but they dont sell only cosmetics :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Yes they sell xp boosts too what else is there? they certainly don't sell better stats for cash.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

You answered your own question :) Preferred has 4 bars, free has 2.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I seen lot of F2P limitations, but SWTOR wins all : Free accounts dont have enough space on toolbars to put all skills

Well played EA ....

Get preferred status and upgrade from 2 to 4 bars I never use any more than 4 bars as it is.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121204

If you want more quickbars subscribe or buy extra quickbars if not just quit crying about it.  Free 2 Play does not mean Free 2 Play.  No MMO can survive without cash to keep paying operation cost and developers to continue to develop content. 

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

They don’t sell level 50 raid gear if that’s what you are trying to say.  They do sell ship components, XP boost, cargo bay slots, and all kinds of connivance items.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Does it really matter because when you realise the game isn't worth playing and you quit, it isn't an issue anymore ;)
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Scummyman

Does it really matter because when you realise the game isn't worth playing and you quit, it isn't an issue anymore ;)

Some people are gluttons for punishment. They hate it so much, and yet they continue to play it, and then come here and cry about how much they suffer. 

P.S. Nothing's free in waterworld

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Well played EA ....

I guess I'm missing something here... a pain to play... for free?

I came back and played the f2p for a few weeks and I was happy with it. I mean.. you're not paying anything.. what is it exactly that you want? Honestly, you don't need every skill or ability on a toolbar. Take buffs for instance; You really need an hour long buff on a toolbar? Just open your skills and click it. Same with the recall and whatnot. 

As I was paying nothing, I guess I just didn't expect as much as some of you. I took the game for what it was and was happy that I could play it for free while determining if I want to sub again. Which I did. There are plenty of people playing the game right now and enjoying themselves under the f2p settings. I see them all over. 

There is a big mentallity lately not just with games that everything should be free. People torrent movies and games etc. I just can't get down with that thinking. If I enjoy a game, I have no problem paying for people's time and effort. Whether it's movies, music, games.. anything. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Originally posted by Scummyman

Some people are gluttons for punishment. They hate it so much, and yet they continue to play it, and then come here and cry about how much they suffer. 

P.S. Nothing's free in waterworld

Yeah... also, there are the folks who actually enjoy it. Like me.. you do know we exist correct?

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Eh...I don't know. EQ2 is really awful unless they changed it any.

Anyways, gotta agree with Doogie here in relation to the OP. Why would you even bother OP considering you think so little of the gameplay? It is one thing to say there are problem areas but quite another to say it has the worst gameplay you've seen in ten years.

EQ2 apparently learned from some of its mistakes and has loosened up some of their previous F2P restrictions.  Whether it's enticing or not is still a matter of debate.  Overall, I think some of these companies with their F2P models are groping in the dark to figure out what works.  I know these new sub (or subless) models are new but I'd have to think businesses are smart enough and attuned to their customers enough to know the score.  If their aim is to revive a title that couldn't thrive on subs in the past, it seems like common sense would dictate that a F2P model designed around getting freemium players to sub would also be moribund.

I know I'm bound to be flamed for saying it, nevertheless, here's my thought:  Eastern F/B2P models and games (even with all of their lurking P2W schemes, lottery boxes, and shovelware titles sprinkled in) are far more forward thinking and less risk averse than practically anything we have in the West.  All else being equal, I believe the mostly Western business practice of making potential customers so uncomfortable that they must "pay or quit" will lose to the model that offers the game for free and relies on selling convenience, presige, and even power in a cash shop, lootbox setup.  It won't be long until we'll be able to see proof of the veracity of this belief, as the recent crop of games like GW2 and TERA progress alongside games like SWTOR and LOTRO.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

Well played EA ....

I would have to say SWTOR is is a joke, god i miss swg.....

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Well played EA ....

did we run out of topics to cry about so we are starting with the old ones again now?

uh and btw, SWG was a fucking joke in the end too :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Free to play is a scam i don't care who makes it.  They put in road blocks like this, so you will (a) sub up, or (b) pay for unlockers.  

There really is no such thing as a free lunch, and I always get a kick out of folks thinking they are going to get something for nothing.  There is always going to be something they do to make money. 

It is why I hate the free to play model, it should really be called you pay to play eventually.