Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super Adventure Box!

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Anet are hands down amazing. If anyone had any doubts about GW2 this bashes them all down into mud.

<>I can t stand Super Adventure Box. I understand it s a mini game, but man it feels so non MMO to me.

I think that's exactly the point.  Sure, not everyone's the same, but one of the best things about GW2 for a great many players has been how fresh and unique the game has felt compared to so many other MMOs we've played.  I can't even count the number of moments on my fingers and toes anymore where I had ot pause for a second in awe and mutter outloud, "Is this really an MMO I'm playing?  This is insane!"

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Anet are hands down amazing. If anyone had any doubts about GW2 this bashes them all down into mud.

Whoa there, soldier.  No one content patch should make anyone completely ignore a game's flaws.  If they added this to FF14, would FF14 magically have been good all of the sudden?  

I think you can read into it within the context of the game's philosophy and take it for what it is.  They're going for continual, consistent changes to the game world that provide players with a timeline of events and stories.  Each of these additions add to that for you, provided it's content you wish to participate in. 

It also shows Anet's willingness to address some of the flaws of the game, such as lack of challenging group content and progression goals.  This update provides some semi-challenging content of a different variety and offers new goals to work toward for its duration (new cool weapon skins.)  But when it's over, or once players have gotten everything they can out of this dungeon, those issues may re-emerge.  

So take it for what it is, one awesome point (among many others) in favor of the GW2, while there undoubtedly also remain points against it. 

Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by samuraislyr4
    They said this will be in for the whole month of april, plus I bet since they are getting very good feedback on this, they  will add more to it next year. The map shows far more to explore then we actually go to. I don't doubt they'll add more, perhaps even make something beyond the 8-bit map parts. A more contemporary nod to current games maybe or something. That's a whole year for some of the team to come up with stuff. If they left it in, honestly people will stop caring by next month anyway., 

That's what I'm thinking as well.  You barely cover 1/8 of the total map.  I was assuming there were 10-15 levels, but apparently there are only 3 for now.  There's no reason they couldn't add more next year, and then more the year after that.  It leaves the same room for indefinite expansion that Fractals leaves.  

And I completely agree that players wouldn't care about the content nearly as much if it were left in permanently, no matter how awesome it is.  3 months from now, almost nobody would be doing it compared to right now.  Skins would be acquired.  The novelty of the gameplay would be worn off.  Unless the content is so hard that it takes months and months for most groups to progress through, or unless there's a perpetual progression incentive a la the cliché gear treadmill, the content will get "consumed" rather quickly.  

Done this way, this specific content always remains fresh.  And like we said, there's infinite room to add on to it each year, which is something I've never seen in an MMO before.  Moreover, as long as we keep getting something new like this nearly every month, you get absorbed in the all new hustle and bustle all over again and spend less time worrying about the loss of last month's cool event.  I'd even say it gives people who may have missed out on parts of temporary events something to look forward to for next year's release.  

If they added more and more mini-games, simply offering it as one of the options for completing the daily/monthly would be enough to maintain a steady tide.

However, I do agree. The novelty would wear off. They really need to have one of these sorts of mini games each month (or every other month).

WHERE'S MY POLYMOCK AND ARCHERY?!?!

I'm really really looking forward to Polymock as well.  I hope it has a lot of depth and progression behind it and gives real meaning to collecting pets.  This is another area I feel GW2 is currently lacking.  There's a lack of sustainable goals to work toward.  For as much shit as WoW haters give the new "pokemon" system (which I haven't played because I haven't played wow in several years), based on several accounts of people who are actually into that sort of thing, it has managed to give them something long term to work towards (gotta catch em all!)  It also gives some meaning to an otherwise complete vanity aspect of the game.  

Really, it's just like Rift's Dimension's housying system.  Though they seem very different in what they are, they serve the same MMO function.  They both offer a type of perpetual progression external to the standard MMO character progression.  It's something that creates incentive to keep playing all aspects of the game, which is vital in keeping the game's content healthy.  

The best thing about them is that not everyone is going to be interested in either system--or any system, for that matter.  But they're completely non-intrusive.  Players who aren't into them never even have to encounter them. It manages to be a major pro for many players while not being a con for anyone (except people who just like to bitch and moan regardless.)  

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    GW2 is GW2 not the type of MMO most of us are accustomed to, its more of a play ground for kids on sugar overdose, and spoilt brats who get everything they want without the need to do anything to get it.

Where has one sees that?

Having fun free of hassle?

Man that should be forbidden!

If you want 5 minutes of fun you should have to go bash your head against that wall for a few dozen hours first.

Now, that is how fun should be done!

All proper, for real adults!

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Here is my newest gameplay for the Super Adventure Box! Enjoy :)

This event is awesome!

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

They have already ruined the game's art direction, so getting uptight over super adventure box is moot at this point. They were already pushing it with unicorn rainbow long bows and 70s disco weapons, but the additional items and skins added to the game already says they dont take the setting, lore and art direction seriously.

At this point its just a whatever they want kind of game, no visual immersion needed. The user experience they want to give now is more of a joke and cheap gameplay mechanics than anything else.

I feel bad for the writers and artist that actually took the game and its setting seriously.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

They have already ruined the game's art direction, so getting uptight over super adventure box is moot at this point. They were already pushing it with unicorn rainbow long bows and 70s disco weapons, but the additional items and skins added to the game already says they dont take the setting, lore and art direction seriously.

At this point its just a whatever they want kind of game, no visual immersion needed. The user experience they want to give now is more of a joke and cheap gameplay mechanics than anything else.

I feel bad for the writers and artist that actually took the game and its setting seriously.

Oh silly me... and here i thought April Fool's Day was a super serious holiday for worship.

Originally posted by observer

Oh silly me... and here i thought April Fool's Day was a super serious holiday for worship.

Oh silly you indeed.

I dont recall talking strictly about whats going on during the month of april. Perhaps you think the skins will expire after april? Your whole retort, including your choice of wording (worship) tells me you just havent understood a thing I typed and who its responding to.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I don't know, the super weapon skins to me look exactly like the kind of things Asuras would do, personally I see them as fitting the current lore of the game more than the moot (the disco ball mace), for example, or the dreamer (the unicorn bow).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

I don't know, the super weapon skins to me look exactly like the kind of things Asuras would do, personally I see them as fitting the current lore of the game more than the moot (the disco ball mace), for example, or the dreamer (the unicorn bow).

^ agreed the unicorn bow leaves rainbow trails when people run :P silly things like this have been in the game for a good while.. and those crazy asura could easily come up with weapons like the ones put in for this event

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Thats why I pointed out that any complaint over super adventure box is kind of moot at this point.

Also its not just skins, but in the world the enemies from the game are in the actual GW2 world itself. So far i have been attacked by "8bit" monkeys, snakes and rabits while running around some Charr zones.

I'm used to seeing a lot of people complain about WoW or insult it for that matter when it comes to over the top armor and weapons which glow. Honestly GW2 beat them in that department and now any skin and armor piece is not really restricted by the art direction. The universe has been dumbed out to the extent where "fun" and gag graphics are part of the game world. It leaves the impression anything can happen.

Who knows whats next...Sailor Moon outfits and space ships. At this point any care they had for crafting the universe has been destroyed in favor of image saturation and gags. Which is fine if thats what they wanted to turn their game into, but its hard to take it seriously at this point. Usually it just gets worse from there.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Thats why I pointed out that any complaint over super adventure box is kind of moot at this point.

Also its not just skins, but in the world the enemies from the game are in the actual GW2 world itself. So far i have been attacked by "8bit" monkeys, snakes and rabits while running around some Charr zones.

I'm used to seeing a lot of people complain about WoW or insult it for that matter when it comes to over the top armor and weapons which glow. Honestly GW2 beat them in that department and now any skin and armor piece is not really restricted by the art direction. The universe has been dumbed out to the extent where "fun" and gag graphics are part of the game world. It leaves the impression anything can happen.

Who knows whats next...Sailor Moon outfits and space ships. At this point any care they had for crafting the universe has been destroyed in favor of image saturation and gags. Which is fine if thats what they wanted to turn their game into, but its hard to take it seriously at this point. Usually it just gets worse from there.

So, adding silly things for EVENTS to around 10% of the game "ruined the game's art direction"? Have you met the asura yet btw?

Originally posted by Kuppa

So, adding silly things for EVENTS to around 10% of the game "ruined the game's art direction"? Have you met the asura yet btw?

What part of my post is confusing you?

I am not strictly talking about the super adventure box meta event, I thought this was made clear twice already.

Personally I love the Super Adventure Box satire event, but thats besides the point.

Speaking as a CG artist, the moment you add over the top gags which clearly have no place in the universe, tone of the universe, art direction and concept, the effect is ruined. Any immersive state, visually, which ties together with the said concept is tossed out the window, especially when you the viewer/player readily becomes aware of said assets conflicting with the tone of the original design.

I would be curious to see if the DD (design document) and lore included such gags in them originally.

Anyways, think of it like this. Imagine going to a horror noir film, a tone is set and half way through the flick one of the actresses turns into a bright and colorful anime character which shoots rainbows out of their ears and flys around on magical cupcakes. The viewer is giving two conflicting tones, by this act immersion is lost as the viewer becomes aware of it, creating a form of alienation. The viewer can still be entertained, but the tone of the film is ruined and immersion via emotional response has to come from something else after the come to terms with this visual change.

The whole epic theme and tone, especially via the concept art, has been forgotten in favor of image saturation, gag and satire items, and inconsistent universal content. Again this is FINE, but the player then has to acknowledge that the tone of the game changes entirely.

I am not strictly talking about the super adventure box meta event, I thought this was made clear twice already. It's respectful to other posters to exhibit some form of reading comprehension as opposed to confirmation bias.

Personally I love the Super Adventure Box satire event, but thats besides the point.

Speaking as a CG artist, the moment you add over the top gags which clearly have no place in the universe, tone of the universe, art direction and concept, the effect is ruined. Any immersive state, visually, which ties together with the said concept is tossed out the window, especially when you the viewer/player readily becomes aware of said assets conflicting with the tone of the original design.

I would be curious to see if the DD (design document) and lore included such gags in them originally.

Anyways, think of it like this. Imagine going to a horror noir film, a tone is set and half way through the flick one of the actresses turns into a bright and colorful anime character which shoots rainbows out of their ears and flys around on magical cupcakes. The viewer is giving two conflicting tones, by this act immersion is lost as the viewer becomes aware of it, creating a form of alienation. The viewer can still be entertained, but the tone of the film is ruined and immersion via emotional response has to come from something else after the come to terms with this visual change.

The whole epic theme and tone, especially via the concept art, has been forgotten in favor of image saturation, gag and satire items, and inconsistent universal content. Again this is FINE, but the player then has to acknowledge that the tone of the game changes entirely.

I understand your complaints, but you're nitpicking here.  You claim it destroys the tone, but you fail to realize that it's for one month out of the year.  These 8 bit creatures won't be in the world all year long.  Your complaints about the weapon skins are trivial too.  They actually fit the tone of asura's art, so it's a stretch to claim that weapon skins also ruin the tone.  Let's take the super shield skin as an example.  It has an in-game "alphabet" on it, conforming to the tone you think is ruined.

Your analogy to a film doesn't work either, because a film isn't an interactive medium, whereas a video game is, especially an MMO, where things are always changing in real time.

I am not strictly talking about the super adventure box meta event, I thought this was made clear twice already. It's respectful to other posters to exhibit some form of reading comprehension as opposed to confirmation bias.

I understand your complaints, but you're nitpicking here.  You claim it destroys the tone, but you fail to realize that it's for one month out of the year.  These 8 bit creatures won't be in the world all year long.  Your complaints about the weapon skins are trivial too.  They actually fit the tone of asura's art, so it's a stretch to claim that weapon skins also ruin the tone.  Let's take the super shield skin as an example.  It has an in-game "alphabet" on it, conforming to the tone you think is ruined.

Your analogy to a film doesn't work either, because a film isn't an interactive medium, whereas a video game is, especially an MMO, where things are always changing in real time.

Again I think you are not reading or comprehending my post. I am NOT complaining about super adventure box. I love it.

I did NOT say the inclusion of it alone is ruining the games art direction, but that they chose to fill their game with image saturated "skins" and assets outside of the direction and tone of the game. Thus complaining about super adventure box at this point is moot. Do you understand what that means? They have done worse already so it doesnt matter at this point. They chose to fill their game with image saturation and gag content over the concept and art direction.

Stating it lasts only for a month is also moot. Why? Ask yourself if the skins will exist after the 30 day period? They will, thus it doesnt leave the game.

Personally I think if they are going to go this direction, gagging out the game and being silly about it...then they should just keep all content open, whether it be holloween dungeons or super adventure box portals...at least this way theres more time sink based "content" to pick from at any given point in time.

Also my film analogy works, because tone and setting exist in both film and interactive entertainment. Because a game state can change doesnt mean the art direction and tone changes. In film, illustrators and concept artist have to go through much of the same process as game developers in preoduction, it is the foundation for what follows.

WoW has remained consistent for the most part with the visual themes and setting the made for themselves, granted they changed a bit of the story from the warcraft rts lore, but each addition generally fits int othe game and any meta events for holidays generally dont have any lasting value or seem entirely out of place. The point again is interactive entertainment, even mmorpgs, are not exempt from the same aspect of consistency.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I think it's truly legendary what the devs did here.

It's fun

It's an homage to the first console game generations

It's completely unexpected

It's nostalgic

It's just there, do it or don't do it. A little gift.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by jazz.be

I think it's truly legendary what the devs did here.

It's fun

It's an homage to the first console game generations

It's completely unexpected

It's nostalgic

It's just there, do it or don't do it. A little gift.

I Absolutely agree. Im not a great fan of holiday events (borderline hate em), but this is the best by far I have every played in any game ever, its genious, fun and replayable.  Anet should get some recognition or award for this - the game is free to play lol, it shows their commitment to the goals they set, most impressive.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I am not strictly talking about the super adventure box meta event, I thought this was made clear twice already.

I actually agree with you to a point. Personally I can't stand when games add anachronistic elements as a regular part of game play. Also, most people aren't really familiar with the idea of design and keeping some sort of inetgrity within a work. Many times a player will say "well it's fun so 'why not'" as far as adding "permanent" additions to a game.

However, I think your movie example, in the case of this event, can be tweaked by saying "imagine you go to a horror noir film and after the credits rolled the audience was privy to a "gag reel/blooper reel" where the actresses turn into a bright colorful anime character... etc etc"

for an event, in my opinion, it's ok to bend the world a bit as it provides a good humored bit of jest and the design can be put aside without really damaging the effect of the world in the long run.

I mean, look at how GW2 is designed. Those who made this game world are detail oriented. I can't help but think they are sensitive to not over using this type of thing.

Another thing, in music or art or theater, heck, movies (let's throw it all in) there is a definitive start and end to a work. A piece of music starts and stops, a play has a beginning and an end, a painting exists within whatever defines its borders.

but an mmo, no matter how detailed, is sort of "lived in". And people need to have their surroundings challenged a bit. How many times have you hear people say "oh man, I just want winter to end so summer can be here". But when a huge beautiful Snow storm happens, it's really appreciated for the small time its effects can be felt. Same with rain. No one seems to like rain but so much has been written about it, photos taken, paintings painted, etc. That's why I think small events that challenge the space an mmo resides in helps the players reset, to experience a different mood. Much like that snow storm.

But yeah for the month of April, the tone is changed. It could be too long but I suspect they want everyone to have a chance at the event. My thought is 1 week, possibly 2, would be long enough.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I feel bad for people who take games seriously in general.  *cough*

lol cant resist, what did blizzard do with April Fools day this year, bet it was amazing considering the hundreds of millions they get in subs... :P

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    lol cant resist, what did blizzard do with April Fools day this year, bet it was amazing considering the hundreds of millions they get in subs... :P

They did this:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/blizzkidzz/

I know you're being sarcastic, but it needs to be pointed out that Blizzard's April Fools Day jokes, while somewhat amusing, are nothing compared to the effort ANet puts in.  Half the time, it's just something on battle.net.  In fact, I don't know if they've ever done anything in-game.  Certainly not created an entire 80's-esque commercial and an old school style dungeon, complete with weapon skins.  Shame on you, Blizzard.  Then again, since Ghostcrawler took over, the entire game seems lazier in general.

The zerg's freaking out was pretty funny though.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I know you're being sarcastic, but it needs to be pointed out that Blizzard's April Fools Day jokes, while somewhat amusing, are nothing compared to the effort ANet puts in.  Half the time, it's just something on battle.net.  In fact, I don't know if they've ever done anything in-game.  Certainly not created an entire 80's-esque commercial and an old school style dungeon, complete with weapon skins.  Shame on you, Blizzard.  Then again, since Ghostcrawler took over, the entire game seems lazier in general.

The zerg's freaking out was pretty funny though.

When was the last time you played WoW? Just curious?

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

When was the last time you played WoW? Just curious?

It's been about a year now, I think?  A little less.

anet have shown what a real dev team can do when not shackled by greedy profitmongering.  real devs in blizzard will be jeleous of the freedom anet devs have, the rest will be working on the ever present balancing hell/mess wow has got itself into.

Again I think you are not reading or comprehending my post. I am NOT complaining about super adventure box. I love it.

I did NOT say the inclusion of it alone is ruining the games art direction, but that they chose to fill their game with image saturated "skins" and assets outside of the direction and tone of the game. Thus complaining about super adventure box at this point is moot. Do you understand what that means? They have done worse already so it doesnt matter at this point. They chose to fill their game with image saturation and gag content over the concept and art direction.

Stating it lasts only for a month is also moot. Why? Ask yourself if the skins will exist after the 30 day period? They will, thus it doesnt leave the game.

Personally I think if they are going to go this direction, gagging out the game and being silly about it...then they should just keep all content open, whether it be holloween dungeons or super adventure box portals...at least this way theres more time sink based "content" to pick from at any given point in time.

Also my film analogy works, because tone and setting exist in both film and interactive entertainment. Because a game state can change doesnt mean the art direction and tone changes. In film, illustrators and concept artist have to go through much of the same process as game developers in preoduction, it is the foundation for what follows.

WoW has remained consistent for the most part with the visual themes and setting the made for themselves, granted they changed a bit of the story from the warcraft rts lore, but each addition generally fits int othe game and any meta events for holidays generally dont have any lasting value or seem entirely out of place. The point again is interactive entertainment, even mmorpgs, are not exempt from the same aspect of consistency.

I understand exactly what you mean.  You're just failing to see how inconsequential your complaints are.  The halloween and christmas events did fit the tone and setting of the game world.  The bosses and events were named appropriately within the game world's lore, as well as the items and gear.  I understand how this April Fool's event irritates you, but you are overreacting.

The actual reasoning for the super adventure box is an Asuran invention, which surprisingly, is primitive technology they have developed.  If you read the NPC dialogue, he says "I've had reports of sprites manifesting outside my Box, all over Tyria..." etc.  So, here we have this technology created by an Asuran, with "sprites" escaping it.

In conclusion.. never trust an Asuran.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

image...*Leaves earth.*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.