Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a difference a day makes

grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Hmm.. well it's not April 1st, so I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the game again for the first time. lol  It's not perfect and I'm taking a break right now to try some other games with a good friend, but GW2 has never been a disappointment to me.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Hmm.. well it's not April 1st, so I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the game again for the first time. lol  It's not perfect and I'm taking a break right now to try some other games with a good friend, but GW2 has never been a disappointment to me.

its april first in the east. still this post reaked of wtfery, not really quite sure of the point the op was trying to make or if he was even asking a question.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Eir_S

feels very much like an april fools joke to me:P lol if not glad you are having fun OP i know we have had plenty of arguments in the past:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Didn't even think of the April fool's angle.

True and honest post.

Basically, I was just trying to say if a game doesn't work for you the first time around, don't necessarily write it off.

Additionally, thanking the community.  If it wasn't for you guys, I'm not sure if I would have come around so quickly.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Arise.  Henseforth, you shall be known as Darth Grimal. image

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by grimal

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had a very similar experience with GW2.

I posted my thoughts here.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/379861/Worth-a-2nd-look.html

Although since this post, I've changed from Guardian to Mesmer. I love this class.

To me, it's on par with the overall enjoyment level I had when I played a Bureaucrat in Anarchy Online. (Actually, there are a few similarites in their class concepts)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    If they keep updating the live world and adding content thats as creative as April fools. I dont think GW2 will do just fine. Still needs some work but its going in the right direction. Dungeons need some real work, sick of the zerg tatics and training through trash mobs.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    If they keep updating the live world and adding content thats as creative as April fools. I dont think GW2 will do just fine. Still needs some work but its going in the right direction. Dungeons need some real work, sick of the zerg tatics and training through trash mobs.

You can't zerg dungeons anymore.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Zergs in dungeons were fixed in January - don't know what dungeons you have been running.......

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by botrytis

Zergs in dungeons were fixed in January - don't know what dungeons you have been running.......

Well... you can zerg Citadel of Fire path 1... but thats it. did Arath path 1 this weekend and that was far from zergy.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Well... you can zerg Citadel of Fire path 1... but thats it. did Arath path 1 this weekend and that was far from zergy.

Yes, there are still speed runs and "preferred" comps. But I think this poster was referring to the early issues where players would make continuous suicide runs against the bosses and quickly rez before the boss reset.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yes, there are still speed runs and "preferred" comps. But I think this poster was referring to the early issues where players would make continuous suicide runs against the bosses and quickly rez before the boss reset.

I stopped playing because of culling and dungeon zergs. I only came back a few weeks ago when I read culling was done. If dungeon zergs are fixed then I will start doing dungeon runs again =-) Thats good news.

EDIT: How did they fix that? 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I stopped playing because of culling and dungeon zergs. I only came back a few weeks ago when I read culling was done. If dungeon zergs are fixed then I will start doing dungeon runs again =-) Thats good news.

Patch notes are your friend......

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  

Yeah, it's called addiction. Probably your brain gave up refusing to do pointless repetitive tasks and decided to spill some endorphines to ease the pain.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I played GW2 at launch, tried 5 different professions, got frustrated and put it aside, ostensibly for good.  Oddly enough, a debate here on the merits of tab-targeting vs. action combat led me to dust off the game and give it a shot, now that I had discovered the joys of actiony gameplay (thanks to DCUO).  I went with Guardian, set a goal of not worrying about perfect builds and simply learning the game through trial and error, and I've been having a lot of fun.  it's not perfect and I still believe GW2's greatest contribution to the genre will be its business model and rewarding cooperation rather than competition in PvE.  However, for the first time in a long time of playing fantasy MMOs, I really do feel like I'm embarking on an adventure after logging in, rather than concerning myself with finding loot, clearing my questlog, and waiting to level.

(((eye roll))) world is full of rude people. How dare I ask a question on a forum, the nerve lol. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

(((eye roll))) world is full of rude people. How dare I ask a question on a forum, the nerve lol. 

You cannot respawn while teammates are still in combat.

So you either have to rez teammates or wipe.  There is no more "die and rush back to the fight."

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

you can no longer path to a waypoint while your party is engaged in combat.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Thanks for the info =-) Cant wait to do some dungeons!!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had a very similar experience with GW2.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/379861/Worth-a-2nd-look.html

Although since this post, I've changed from Guardian to Mesmer. I love this class.

To me, it's on par with the overall enjoyment level I had when I played a Bureaucrat in Anarchy Online. (Actually, there are a few similarites in their class concepts)

mesmer is a great class.. currently working on a new build been doing shatter build for to long.. might go for a phantasm build or maybe matra focused haven't really dabbled in those much.. although i do need to level my thief heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

mesmer is a great class.. currently working on a new build been doing shatter build for to long.. might go for a phantasm build or maybe matra focused haven't really dabbled in those much.. although i do need to level my thief heh

Currently a full zerker Shatter built, but I really want to explore other options. As it is now, if I even fart, I generate a clone so I got plenty of UP IN YER FACE boom-fodder. But I'd really like to try a phantasm build.  My interest piqued when I was doing the Svanir Dome event and had my Sword/Pistol combo up and for the most part all I did was maintain 3 pistol Phantasms at as much range as I could from the Champ. I'd let them do their thing while I ran around rezing everyone. When one would drop, I'd spawn a new one. But in that fight I rarely used my F keys.
     But that was as a young'n. I've since been almost exclusively GS. Occasionally, I'll use Sword/Focus for the RS buff.

I want to try something different. But. Wow, what survivability for a berserker geared clothie.

Basically, I was just trying to say if a game doesn't work for you the first time around, don't necessarily write it off.

Now this is true, any day of the year.  I've trashed games on these very forums and then found out later that they're actually pretty fun.  Maybe they didn't last me forever, but anyone can come around if they leave their mind open for enjoyment instead of "feature lists".

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

What made me come back to GW2 after hitting level 80 and quiting was realising that this is less of a theme park mmorpg,here you really need to choos your own goals,and if you look at it like that ther is so much to do.....

Complete the huge maps!!

Costimize your gear!

WvW

Save up for legenderys

Complete all of the doungones!

And much more.... Anyways the point its that ther is life after level 80.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

Originally posted by rensta

there is life after level 80.

I want this as a bumper sticker, haha.  Or for MMO's in general, "There is life after max level".

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by rensta

What made me come back to GW2 after hitting level 80 and quiting was realising that this is less of a theme park mmorpg,here you really need to choos your own goals,and if you look at it like that ther is so much to do.....

Complete the huge maps!!

Costimize your gear!

WvW

Save up for legenderys

Complete all of the doungones!

And much more.... Anyways the point its that ther is life after level 80.

Completing the whole map doesn't take all that long. A month or two tops. Customize your gear...as a goal? *sighs* WvW is pvp, not everyone likes pvp. Legendaries just a stupid grind for money/items, nothing legendary about that. Completing all dungeons again, can be done very very shortly there's only like 6 dungeons. And no, there isn't much more to GW2 than that.

There isn't much life after level 80, that is why so many people stopped playing once they hit 80.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!