Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy GW2?

1235»

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by BirdzThaWord
    Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

this :)

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by crabdog
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Well if your a casual gamer who likes a game so mindnumbly easy you can literally play the whole game from 1 to 80 using only 5 skills then go ahead. The game is in no way challangin, WvWvW is a zerging mess, sPvP, is a wasteland with very little people participating and even fewer people watching (the sPVP scene is dead, averages out at like 150 viewers on twitch tv, laughable for an esport).

I bought it with 20 so other players, not a single one plays today. I played it for the month got extremely bored, took a month and a half break (You will be taking lots of breaks from this game as it's a game that will only keep you entertained in small casual doses) came back in November when to check out the new things, got bored again within the first day. Came back in January, saw  the game had turned into Daily Wars 2 where you do your dailys which had now become required. Then just uninstalled it and haven't played since. 

Out of those 20ish people, 15 of them quit in October and 4 made it to Dec and quit and me to January. 

The game is a typical themepark on it's lowest setting, satifying people who play games to simply relax in every meaning of the word, players who play to be challanged will not engjoy GW2.

Was this one of any of your friends? VIDEO This is from several nights ago when I was playing WvWvW. You make your comment sound as if no one is playing, and/or should not like it. There are literally thousands of people playing this game and enjoying it for what it is. It is different and that is why I believe folks are turned away. Those that can adapt to change enjoy new things like this imho. /shrug 

The game has many many challenges, some are extremely hard to achieve. ie legendary and dungeon gear sets. Some folks don't even take the time to get exalted gear which in itself is a lower goal but fairly necessary in WvWvW if you want to stay alive. Dungeons are harder than any I have encountered in any AAA game. 

It's not different and that's one of the big problems. It's more of the same but it falls short in many ways. If you have little or no previous experience with this kind of game it would probably be a blast but for those of us who have played the other games it's very easy to see the lack of anything new here and thus we have no motivation to grind through it. Leveling up doesn't even feel like an achievement, it just passes with you hardly even noticing.

Can t argue with this. Especially the leveling, it doesn t feel like an achievement at all.

Don't play it to level then. Adventure and explore, if you level on the way it is a bonus. Folks are so caught up with the leveling portion of any games they forget what rpg is. 

I undersatnd what you re saying, but I enjoy leveling as an accomplishment. I like my game taking a long time to achieve things. I can t stand things coming so easy. This is GW2 to me. I won t say it s easy as in dieing or not, but the game itself just doesn t pose any challenge to me, and when I don t even notice the levels, it becomes boring, extremely fast.

I understand games are changing, but I guess thats why I wish games had more of a old DAOC/L2/FFXI feel to them as far as pve goes.

Of course this is my opinion, but the foundation of what GW2 isn t going to change.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Don't play it to level then. Adventure and explore, if you level on the way it is a bonus. Folks are so caught up with the leveling portion of any games they forget what rpg is. 

I undersatnd what you re saying, but I enjoy leveling as an accomplishment. I like my game taking a long time to achieve things. I can t stand things coming so easy. This is GW2 to me. I won t say it s easy as in dieing or not, but the game itself just doesn t pose any challenge to me, and when I don t even notice the levels, it becomes boring, extremely fast.

I understand games are changing, but I guess thats why I wish games had more of a old DAOC/L2/FFXI feel to them as far as pve goes.

Of course this is my opinion, but the foundation of what GW2 isn t going to change.

I totally respect what you are saying! I know it's not for everyone and I'm not trying to sell it. I didn't get into any of the games you listed and you probably couldn't change my mind either! :)

There is more to leveling in a game then putting a number above your avatar. Try leveling your crafting to 400, set a goal to buy bank and character slots by making your own gold, or even make yourself a complete set of exalted gear. Once you hit 80 it is far from over, you still get skill points every time you level again. You can use the points at the Mystic Forge. These are just suggestions. I have shown this before, but I will link it again. Maybe it will give you a second thought about the game. 

edit: snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would recommend you buy the game. if you are having trouble picking a class, I would recommend:

* Elementalist or Mesmer for high utility in PvE and WvW. Mesmers are a bit easier to learn and are very good in PvP scenarios. Elementalists are harder to learn, but can be devestating in PvP with bunker builds and dagger/dagger builds

* Thieves for WvW and PvP. They excel in fights with real players

* Warriors for pure damage in PvE. They also have some decent builds for WvW

* Guardians (one of my all around favorite classes) have amazing support. If you liked tanking or healing (or both at the same time!) this is the one to go with

* I like my engineer for PvE. They aren't too good in PvP, and have HIGH learning curve for WvW.

* Necromancers are OK in PvE and offer unique support roles in WvW (wall pulls, marks as traps, minions for extra targets)

* Rangers have the highest learning curve, imo. It's not because they are amazing; it's because half your damage is done by your pet and pet AI is very lacking atm.

As for things to do:

-PvE-

Exploration: 25 large areas, each with unique environments. I'd say there are about 8 or 9 over-riding themes for the environments of GW2.

Open World Boss farming: Taking down dragon lieutenants, wurms, Svanir, destroyers, etc. for their boss chests (guarunteed rare once a day)

Dungeons: 8 dungeons with 3 paths each (Arah has 4). With the exception of one, dungeons paths take 20-40 minutes and can be used to earn top tier armor.

Fractals: for those who wanted gear progession...here it is. 3-4 paths are chosen at random from a total of 8 possibilities

Dailies/Monthlies: for those who only have 30mins or less a day to spare, just do these

-WvW-

Jumping Puzzle: Best way of earning badges

WvW Ranking: Rank up by killing players are completing events to unlock perks for WvW

Run with the Zerg

Become a Commander: if you REALLY like WvW, this should be a goal.

-PvP-

Play Conquest

(structured PvP needs the most work, imo)

-LONG TERM ACHIEVEMENTS-

-Been There, Done That Title

-Guild Mission unlocks

-WvW ranks

-Legendary

-Various Mystic Forge Weapons

All this excludes unique events that we've been getting every month (Halloween, Lost Shores, Wintersday, Living Story Arch, Super Adventure Box)

TL;DR: the game is worth it. I would recommend downloading the combat mode mod as well.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Well if your a casual gamer who likes a game so mindnumbly easy you can literally play the whole game from 1 to 80 using only 5 skills then go ahead. The game is in no way challangin, WvWvW is a zerging mess, sPvP, is a wasteland with very little people participating and even fewer people watching (the sPVP scene is dead, averages out at like 150 viewers on twitch tv, laughable for an esport).

I bought it with 20 so other players, not a single one plays today. I played it for the month got extremely bored, took a month and a half break (You will be taking lots of breaks from this game as it's a game that will only keep you entertained in small casual doses) came back in November when to check out the new things, got bored again within the first day. Came back in January, saw  the game had turned into Daily Wars 2 where you do your dailys which had now become required. Then just uninstalled it and haven't played since. 

Out of those 20ish people, 15 of them quit in October and 4 made it to Dec and quit and me to January. 

The game is a typical themepark on it's lowest setting, satifying people who play games to simply relax in every meaning of the word, players who play to be challanged will not engjoy GW2.

Was this one of any of your friends? VIDEO This is from several nights ago when I was playing WvWvW. You make your comment sound as if no one is playing, and/or should not like it. There are literally thousands of people playing this game and enjoying it for what it is. It is different and that is why I believe folks are turned away. Those that can adapt to change enjoy new things like this imho. /shrug 

The game has many many challenges, some are extremely hard to achieve. ie legendary and dungeon gear sets. Some folks don't even take the time to get exalted gear which in itself is a lower goal but fairly necessary in WvWvW if you want to stay alive. Dungeons are harder than any I have encountered in any AAA game. 

Sorry I took so long to respond :) And no i do not know that person. 

I wasn't saying that no one plays it, just talking about my own experience you know, I'm kind of allowed to do that. 

Also you just proved my point, about there being no challanege in the game. 1) Lengendaries aren't challanging at all, they revovle around either farming gold to buy re cursors or playing RNG with the mystic forge neither of those things are challanging.  Also that people can buy their legendaries off the auction house further proves my point. If you enjoy farming gold and grinding dungeons for gold you will be able to afford a legendary. 

Dungeons are so easy and dungeons sets are so easy to get that it isnt even considered an achievenment among most people. There is nothing challaning about getting 4 warriors and a mesmer and farming COF path 1 to get the COF set.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    If you're like me then you pretty much buy every mmorpg that comes out just for the hell of it. Good thing about GW2 is that after you buy it it's free to play so u can play whenever you feel like it.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by botrytis

People on this board like to complain for the sake of complaining. Some people call it complaining, I call it whining.

It is a good game, does it have faults - YES it does. Every game does have it's issues, I happen to like the game. And compared to games that I have recently, beta tested - Neverwinter, it is hands above that piece of tripe. GW2 was designed a speciic way and people on this particular board find it either: 1. too easy. 2. too hard. 3. not enough hand holding. 4. Too much hand holding. 5. no Tirinity. 6. not enough variation from the trinity. 7. Too much like WoW. 8. Not enough like WoW. I could go on with all the complaints I have seen. and usually the same person condricts himself just to be negative. Take people who are negative about the game with a huge grain of salt, especially on this board.

GW2, is a game you get out, what you put in. Plain and simple. It is worth the money. They also keep on putting out patches and new content also.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Yep, I ve learned to just ignore what botrytis says.

Would you like me to actually pull out the threads where all this is said? Not hard to do.

I have learned to usually ignore the negative Nancy's on this board but so many of them just continually post, sometimes you have to answer them.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by BirdzThaWord
    Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

this :)

Guess what will be written on his tombstone (and yours).

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Sorry I took so long to respond :) And no i do not know that person. 

I wasn't saying that no one plays it, just talking about my own experience you know, I'm kind of allowed to do that. 

Also you just proved my point, about there being no challanege in the game. 1) Lengendaries aren't challanging at all, they revovle around either farming gold to buy re cursors or playing RNG with the mystic forge neither of those things are challanging.  Also that people can buy their legendaries off the auction house further proves my point. If you enjoy farming gold and grinding dungeons for gold you will be able to afford a legendary. 

Dungeons are so easy and dungeons sets are so easy to get that it isnt even considered an achievenment among most people. There is nothing challaning about getting 4 warriors and a mesmer and farming COF path 1 to get the COF set.

Your and my "challenges" are different then I guess. /shrug Some of us aren't elite players and the game was never developed or advertised as that type, it is a casual game for those who can't afford spending hours and hours grinding gear. That doesn't mean there are no challenging or elite elements in the game, you just get to choose when you want to encounter them.

So, as I have posted before to others, what game is it you are playing that is more challenging.  It too can be picked apart I'm sure. There isn't a perfect game for everyone. But I assure, whatever it is you will not see me on that forum degrading it. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    To OP: I guess you are not planning to buy game you will play for next 30-50 years. :-) So my answer would be: definitively buy, is great game, especially worth because P2P. Could easily be sub based. But I always look for something new. I will - as it looks so far - returning to Wow and Swtor for next few decades :-), but I will always try new games.