Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy GW2?

Hello, I came to you guys for help regarding whether or not I should join you all in GW2 or wait for a better game. I guess I'll give you what I look for in a game and see if you guys think this is the game for me or not. I enjoy fast paced mmo's where the gameplay is very interactive. I've played many mmos and I disliked many of them and the most recent being WoW and Tera. The gameplay that I've enjoyed the concept of was Vindictus which had a very interactive gameplay and had a lot of potential but it wasn't really there. And i guess I should mention that I have in fact played GW2 before on a free weekend and beta in which I played Engineer and it was one of the most boring mmo experiences I've ever had. I come to you guys though wondering if it was just the class that was not meant for me because I see thief gameplay which looks pretty interesting, or if I should wait for a game like Black Desert to come out. Thank you.

Comments

• DevilS2DevilS2 Member Posts: 1

Yes , You should buy it, i bought it 1 months ago I played it 2 days and I would sell it to you for half price if your are interested :)

I uninstaled all my games i spend my time with 3d programing now like Maya and Vue , tell me your e-mail i will really sell the game for half price.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

the dude is looking to sell his copy of gw2 cause it is that boring. once the 'new-game-factor' wears off, the game is bland as hell. i admit it was fun leveling, but around the 50s it got boring. and the allure wore off very quickly.

this game is a pass.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

You will find other activities -- like scooping your eyes out with a spoon -- far more interesting.

GW2 is a lackluster game with easy-mode, predictable combat and a mind-numbingly boring story.

Pass.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F8jpD06wL0o

this april fools event is worth the box price alone imho! :P but everyone has differn't values in games so no one can really say for sure if you will like or not like this game...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's your typical themepark game. If you like easy mode, extremely casual friendly themepark questing, then go for it. If not, save your money, it gets boring fast.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well I'd recommend buying GW2 but not quite for the same reasons the poster trying to sell his copy above is.  I've gotten more than my money's worth.  Yeah, Vindictus' problem for me wasn't the combat (though it was pretty damn simple), it was the lack of an open world to explore.  GW2 does that very well, much better than TERA for example.  If you want to jump to a lower ledge or jump over an obstacle, you can.  There are very few invisible walls.  Some people are bothered by the loading screens, but they last like 2 seconds and the zones are so huge you rarely ever see them.

Plus I believe it's on sale until tomorrow.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    If you are buying it for the PvE, you will get your money's worth. The personal stories are extremely cliche and bland, but there are some pretty neat events. Just make sure you take the time and listen to the people. You will eventually get to the point where there isn't much reason to do anything like the people above said. You will have more than likely gotten your money's worth by then. If you are buying it for PvP, then I would have to say no. The PvP is subpar at best. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

If you're an extreme casual pve'er you'll like this game is what the above posts meant.

If you spend most of your free time playing games and want an mmo to fill that free time slot, this is not the game for you.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

the dude is looking to sell his copy of gw2 cause it is that boring. once the 'new-game-factor' wears off, the game is bland as hell. i admit it was fun leveling, but around the 50s it got boring. and the allure wore off very quickly.

this game is a pass.

I'll second that.  GW2 what a major let down.  Level 10 or level 40 for the most part you look the same.  The lack of character progression and no dedicated healer class gave it a swift death for me.

I'll sell mine at 1/3 the price.  Message me!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    By the way, most people seem to think the Engineer is the worst class in the game, or at least the most poorly optimized.  That might have been part of your weekend experience.  I played mine to level 10 and stopped.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not certain what you mean by interactive gameplay.   There are huge open areas to explore.  I find WvW lots of fun and spend hours in there.  Ive been playing MMOs since about 2004 and this is one of the most enjoyable experiences Ive had.  But you say you have played the beta and did try the engineer and didnt like it, so Im not sure this would be the game for you. 
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

gw2 was a let down for me. i was a big fan of gw1 and was expecting years for gw2, but tbh i wanted to be more. much more.

anyway despite this, i would say that its a good buy, especially if you are a bit casual. the non sub b2p model is fine and even if you dont get excite with the game you always can come back and play whenever you like it.

maybe its not of my taste, but its a quality game

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I passed on this game until a few weeks ago. I have been playing non-stop, joined a guild, and am really enjoying it. Rolled a Warrior and an Mesmer. The game looks nice on max graphics and the art direction is well done. I find asking around 80's in my guild that there is lots to do and I'm sure there will be more.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Manolios

gw2 was a let down for me. i was a big fan of gw1 and was expecting years for gw2, but tbh i wanted to be more. much more.

anyway despite this, i would say that its a good buy, especially if you are a bit casual. the non sub b2p model is fine and even if you dont get excite with the game you always can come back and play whenever you like it.

maybe its not of my taste, but its a quality game

LOL, Im actually just the opposite.  I picked up GW1 becaue friends were playing it and could never really get into it.   Different strokes for different folks.......I would agree GW2 satisfies the more casual type player , which I guess is me.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I would say no. I enjoyed it at first, but quickly realized it will become boring fast. That it did, I find it was a waste of money at full price. $20 I would say it was worth it for that.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Its pretty much a steal at the price its getting sold and all the stuff it has and the updates you get for free.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    It is an "okay" game. Excels in some areas and falls flat in others. I do think it is worth a purchase though especially since it is B2P. Should get at least a few months enoyment out of it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

its a good game until you run out of things to do. i started playing again recently to check out the wvw changes but it seems to have gotten worse. there are people that love it that have played since release, and more power to them.

I would recommend getting it as it is fairly cheap now I think, and the art work is amazing, and the leveling was fun for the first character. I just got very bored with it after that. the dungeons are terrible imo and the pvp is pretty mindless. it's basically 100% about the number of people around you. if you are in a big guild I guess it can be fun, but it's basically just about being in a huge ass zerg.

a good huge ass zerg is better than a pug huge ass zerg .. but that's like saying cat pee is better than dog pee, imo.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    It's good for about a month of casual play.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    NO
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    OP, is this a trick question? I mean you write that you have already played the game and did not have fun. It seems to me that you have answered your own question. The classes have differing abilities and strengths but the basics of play remain the same. I'd tell you to consider giving Tera a try (it's F2P now I think) based on what you wrote. GW2 is what it is and that won't change.
  • BirdzThaWordBirdzThaWord Member Posts: 2
    No it's not a trick question. I had heard that engineer was bad so maybe that was all but I wanted to know if I should get it or if you guys think a better game is coming. I also did try Tera but I hated how you can't move while attacking.
  • phobossionphobossion Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by DevilS2

Yes , You should buy it, i bought it 1 months ago I played it 2 days and I would sell it to you for half price if your are interested :)

I uninstaled all my games i spend my time with 3d programing now like Maya and Vue , tell me your e-mail i will really sell the game for half price.

Same here, just send an email and you have it for half the price :)

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    anything else you want me to tell you to buy while im at it?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Imagine an MMO designed for the Facebook audience.  You know, people used to mindlessly planting a few hundred crops while they watch TV or avoid work.  If you think you're part of that audience, then you might like the game.  If not, then you might get a solid month of casual out of it.

You make me like charity