Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What if WOW goes Free To Play?

renstarensta Bat-YamPosts: 275Member Uncommon

As we all know there is a new trend for games that used to cost money to go Free To Play, usually it worked out really well, for example tera,aion,lineage2 etc... 

What if WOW went Free To Play? What do you think,the numbers will go rocket hige? or for some reasone people will leave the game? maybe ther will be no change at all?

I would love to hear your opinion  :)

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
Add Multi-Quote

Comments

• Branko2307Branko2307 PancevoPosts: 254Member Uncommon
    2 bilion $ a year why on earth would they go f2p looool

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,060Member Uncommon

Its to late now. WoW is old news. Really far away from todays standards.

It has it fans still. But it wouldnt really grow in revenue

• Branko2307Branko2307 PancevoPosts: 254Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Cool story bro. Wow is the standard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• neve1272neve1272 danville, ILPosts: 43Member Uncommon

personaly  i have given all the time and money i ever will to blizzard and wont support them ever again

however i can not ever see them redesigning their game for a F2P model

there just isnt any reason

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,575Member Uncommon

Only a matter of time it might take another 5+ years but WoW will go F2P at *some* point. It is inevitable.

It won't matter much as the genre will have progressed to where wow will be an obsolete type of game.

• renstarensta Bat-YamPosts: 275Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Only a matter of time it might take another 5+ years but WoW will go F2P at *some* point. It is inevitable.

It won't matter much as the genre will have progressed to where wow will be an obsolete type of game.

Looks like the most likely scenerio,altho it will be intersting if they do a huge game mechanic change in the future,like changing the game into an action combat game...... altho it does not seem possible.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member
    Originally posted by Branko2307

For 4 billion $ a year.

• GreenHellGreenHell ludlow, MAPosts: 1,322Member Uncommon

This

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 LondonPosts: 77Member

...and yet vastly more enjoyable than the newer news such as GW2 and TSW.

• expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon
    If WoW went F2P the internet would melt under the load of people trying to log in, think D3's Error 37 was bad well get ready for Error 666.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Kingmob23

Yeah.. well Cata screwed that one for me.  Worst expansion ever.

• GreenHellGreenHell ludlow, MAPosts: 1,322Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S

why do feel that way about Cata?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon

Cataclysm was a good x-pac the only thing that made it soo bad was the long dry spell of no content till MoP. The starting of this x-pac was great heroics were tough, raids were fun.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,296Member Uncommon

it makes perfect sense if you take into account that although WoW is old news, the standards of most of todays MMO's are far below that of WoW's, thats not to say that there arent some quality MMO's out there, its just it seems to be that some of the older MMO's have something that newer ones don't. Perhaps Richard Garriot was correct in his estimation of current MMO developers image

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,060Member Uncommon

No bashing wow , but lets face it - who wanted to play , played it.

Its old news

F2P attracts people that are unsure about playing title (aka its new or not that good) and dont want to pay sub.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 657Member Uncommon
    History has shown that going free to play is a good way to revitalise a fading game. I don't see why it would be any different for WoW. It's been on a downward slide for some time now and most of these huge player numbers fans like to quote actually come from the much lower profit areas in Asia. The numbers of people from North America and Europe who like the game enough to pay a monthly sub have fallen drastically even over the past year. Sooner or later I'm sure WoW will have to follow the money and change to some kind of F2P or B2P model the same as most other games have already.
    Originally posted by GreenHell

A few reasons.

Story was boring compared to Wotlk.  The whole dragons disguised as humans thing never really took off for me, Deathwing's story was subpar, and Garrosh was pretty painful too.

Zones were a chore.  The only good one was Deepholm.  Vash'jr was so awful I wanted to poke my eyes out...

Raids were dull compared to the excitement of ICC and its more memorable bosses, or even Sunwell for that matter.

It just felt "tacked on" and I imagine a lot of it was probably because of Ghostcrawler not being good at his job (hell, he even admits a lot of it didn't work out).  Most people I've talked to agree that it was the worst xpac, but opinions vary obviously.  I know it was the one that saw a huge loss of players compared to the previous xpacs.

For the sake of those remaining in the game, I hope MoP is better.

EDIT: If there was one thing I DID really enjoy about Cata, it was the Undead starting zone.  From lvl 1 to nearly 25, the new story was great and easily the most fun I had post-Wotlk.

• XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,609Member Uncommon

Originally posted by reaperuk
    History has shown that going free to play is a good way to revitalise a fading game. I don't see why it would be any different for WoW. It's been on a downward slide for some time now and most of these huge player numbers fans like to quote actually come from the much lower profit areas in Asia. The numbers of people from North America and Europe who like the game enough to pay a monthly sub have fallen drastically even over the past year. Sooner or later I'm sure WoW will have to follow the money and change to some kind of F2P or B2P model the same as most other games have already.
    Most of WoWs subscriber losses have been in Asia.

The big loss after the bump from MoP was pretty much all China.

So ...yeah. Anything else?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon

My thoughts as well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,296Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GreenHell

A few reasons.

Story was boring compared to Wotlk.  The whole dragons disguised as humans thing never really took off for me, Deathwing's story was subpar, and Garrosh was pretty painful too.

Zones were a chore.  The only good one was Deepholm.  Vash'jr was so awful I wanted to poke my eyes out...

Raids were dull compared to the excitement of ICC and its more memorable bosses, or even Sunwell for that matter.

It just felt "tacked on" and I imagine a lot of it was probably because of Ghostcrawler not being good at his job.  Most people I've talked to agree that it was the worst xpac, but opinions vary obviously.  I know it was the one that saw a huge loss of players compared to the previous xpacs.

For the sake of those remaining in the game, I hope MoP is better.

i think Cataclysm and MoP had something in common, some of the zones it was more a case of enduring rather than enjoying, and i tend to agree about Deepholm and Vash'jr neither one imo had any redeeming features, but you missed out 2 very crucial fails, that both expansions added to the game, one added the worgen, and the other panda's both imo were close to epic fails, i still think the game is worth playing, but, on a personal note, the game wasnt really improved that much by either expansion, MoP if anything had a touch of desperation about it, perhaps thats why i never actually levelled all my toons up, i did have fun in MoP but not enough to stay the course, i'll probably go back to it in a month or three, or six, but currently im busy in other games, like Asherons Call, on frostfell server image

Originally posted by Phry

you missed out 2 very crucial fails, that both expansions added to the game, one added the worgen, and the other panda's both imo were close to epic fails

Holy crap, you're right.  Well I can't say much about the pandas since I don't know their lore, I just know the female ones look ridiculous.  But the worgens were a MASSIVE disappointment for me.  See, when I first heard they were going to be a playable race, I was excited.  Then instead of the cool, bloodthirsty looking worgen from vanilla, we got some furry fan art and cheesy voice acting.  And the females looked even worse than the female pandas......

........to say nothing of the constant sniffing when someone went AFK.

Maybe I'm just bitter that they didn't add a playable Tuskar race. :p

• ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,232Member Uncommon

what if they gave you a porsche for free, would you drive it. 

even tho you would have to pay for fuel, taxes and so on?!

it's silly question time!

blizz wont go f2p, why should they.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common
    Of course it would make WoW's player base bigger.  But a) the community is already bad enough without the f2p crowd and more importantly b) it would likely hurt Blizzard's revenue.
  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Originally posted by Thane

what if they gave you a porsche for free, would you drive it. 

even tho you would have to pay for fuel, taxes and so on?!

it's silly question time!

blizz wont go f2p, why should they.

Actually no, I would not drive it.

I would sell it and buy a car I actually like.

Its only a silly question to those that arent actually thinking about it...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TehTicTehTic Colorado Springs, COPosts: 34Member
    Wow players are very loyal and at present there is not a game out there that can touch the rating  experience wow  offers. I would not expect this game to go free to play until blizzard actually releases their next generation MMO. Though we have a couple great titles on the horizon such as Elder scrolls online and WildStar, I honestly do not believe as it stands that either one can be the next King of MMO's. Though I really hope that one of these can at least be competitive in the rating experience. Because Wow's  mechanics and graphics are quite outdated and I really could use a new home. On the other hand blizzard has done extremely well because of their intuitive raid content  which keeps  hard-core players and tight niche groups paying their $15. Which inspires average players to attempt to get top end gear, in turn paying their $15.