Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the real ESO please stand-up?

Comments

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Again everyone is missing the concept.

Sure have 3 factions the player can choose.  Make it a permanent choice.

But that's the POINT....its' a freakin CHOICE.

If I want my toon to stay pve only I can remain neutral and do all the exploring, questing, raiding etc that I want.

The pvp folks get their 3 faction warfare without faction flips.  Make your choice of house...permanent.

Everyone gets what they want.

Why does everyone on here believe only 1 side can win...again it's mind boggling.

Everyone can have everything they are asking for...easily.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by GreenWidow

Boggles my mind why everyone refuses to see the obvious solution.

Even the OP missed the whole point of the majority of what they call group 1.

Most people I've spoken to that agree with me this is NOT a TES game in anything other than name say the same thing.

They want EVERYTHING group 1 wants AND EVERYTHING group 2 wants.

AND THEY COULD DO THIS!!!!!!

They have chosen NOT to.

3 faction warfare...based on houses not race.

No land locks.  No classes, skill based advancement just like the games.

NO restriction on content level based or otherwise.

Make the game with everything everyone wants.  This is not hard to do...the moronic DaoC jerkoff in charge just refuses to accept that it COULD be done.

And the above game would be much more satisfying to everyone in groups 1 and 2 than what they are making now.  As of now nobody is really happy.  That's what most games I've seen in the past decade have done...and failed because of.

WoW is the only acception and the reasons why have been beaten to death WITH a dead horse on these forums.

Let's say they did all this...why is this better than what they're doing?

If they allow the players to choose race and then faction, there wouldn't be a need for them to add the lvl cap faction unlocks. Players could then choose the race they want and still be able to play with their freinds who choose a different race.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

... btw, who are the gods of programming and which MMO have they made recently?
    They faded away because nobody believed they existed anymore :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Someone has been playing one of the greatest RTS of all time "Baldur's Gate 2"  If it isn't that statement its got to be your avatar! :P

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Cochran1
    Originally posted by Sentnl

Most people I've spoken to that agree with me this is NOT a TES game in anything other than name say the same thing.

They have chosen NOT to.

Make the game with everything everyone wants.  This is not hard to do...the moronic DaoC jerkoff in charge just refuses to accept that it COULD be done.

And the above game would be much more satisfying to everyone in groups 1 and 2 than what they are making now.  As of now nobody is really happy.  That's what most games I've seen in the past decade have done...and failed because of.

WoW is the only acception and the reasons why have been beaten to death WITH a dead horse on these forums.

The only thing I would want different is the warfare, make it multi-faction warfare based on allegiance which players can choose. If you decide not to choose a faction then you can merc yourself to any faction anytime you want.

I guess you didn't play gw2, where titan alliance on HoD made a player allegiance and destroyed the wvw scene, forced hundreds if not thousands of transfers and potentially ruined the game...

If you let players make cross faction allegiances... you would end up with a huge blob that just murdered the tiny minority.

Stop being a moron, just get all your friends on one faction.

Once again someone doesn't agree so they resort to condescention and name calling.

I'm talking about multiple hard coded fations in the game in which people get to initially choose and stick with, not cross faction alliegences where players use vent to coordinate and exploit the game mechanics.

If I understand what you mean... You're main gripe is that your favourite race isnt in your favourite faction? But then.. who cares? Why can't you just play the race you want nonetheless... or is it because your friends want a different race? In the end, what does it matter.

I highly doubt the amount of fun you have will be decided by the race you are, or where you start in the world...

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by hammarus

Someone has been playing one of the greatest RTS of all time "Baldur's Gate 2"  If it isn't that statement its got to be your avatar! :P

Funny you should mention that... Steam had a sale on the revamped BG last WE and I picked it up. Clunky but oh so much fun...the memories :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

They have chosen NOT to.

The only thing I would want different is the warfare, make it multi-faction warfare based on allegiance which players can choose. If you decide not to choose a faction then you can merc yourself to any faction anytime you want.

I guess you didn't play gw2, where titan alliance on HoD made a player allegiance and destroyed the wvw scene, forced hundreds if not thousands of transfers and potentially ruined the game...

If you let players make cross faction allegiances... you would end up with a huge blob that just murdered the tiny minority.

Once again someone doesn't agree so they resort to condescention and name calling.

I'm talking about multiple hard coded fations in the game in which people get to initially choose and stick with, not cross faction alliegences where players use vent to coordinate and exploit the game mechanics.

If I understand what you mean... You're main gripe is that your favourite race isnt in your favourite faction? But then.. who cares? Why can't you just play the race you want nonetheless... or is it because your friends want a different race? In the end, what does it matter.

I highly doubt the amount of fun you have will be decided by the race you are, or where you start in the world...

For an RPer it does matter, and of course for many community determines the longevity and fun factor of the game. My biggest gripe with the way it's set up is that it puts up boundaries for those of us who prefer PvE for the sake of PvP. Which is the case with many of these games. I don't know how many times in these games I've had to relearn my chosen role because of drastic combat changes meant to rebalance PvP. This game will take that mentality a step further by limiting where I can go with my chosen character.

They have chosen NOT to.

If they allow the players to choose race and then faction, there wouldn't be a need for them to add the lvl cap faction unlocks. Players could then choose the race they want and still be able to play with their freinds who choose a different race.

I understand what you're saying but I think that would be worse...a confusing mess that lacks design integrity.

What would be the back story that allows this to make sense? That people who otherwise like each other, chat with each other and dungeon crawl with each other...become bitter enemies when they set foot in Cyrodiil? Sounds like football or soccer to me not a believable fantasy world. But like I said right at the very beginning, if you don't care about the world, the immersion, playing the role or artistric integrity because, after all, it's just a game then sure you can do that.

All these contrivances for the sake of a group of friends not being able to make a decission together. Has it really come to the point where TES racial preference is more important than making compromises to be with your friends? That just seems weird to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

They have chosen NOT to.

I understand what you're saying but I think that would be worse...a confusing mess that lacks design integrity.

What would be the back story that allows this to make sense? That people who otherwise like each other, chat with each other and dungeon crawl with each other...become bitter enemies when they set foot in Cyrodiil? Sounds like football or soccer to me not a believable fantasy world. But like I said right at the very beginning, if you don't care about the world, the immersion, playing the role or artistric integrity because, after all, it's just a game then sure you can do that.

All these contrivances for the sake of a group of friends not being able to make a decission together. Has it really come to the point where TES racial preference is more important than making compromises to be with your friends? That just seems weird to me.

So you think there should be no room for role playing in this game, a character's backstory has always been his/hers to create in an RPG as is his/her entire story. These atifical boundaries are only being put in place so they can simplify PvP a bit.

Lets take WoW for instance you have 2 main warring factions, but as you traverse the world you find that there are places where trolls, dwarves, and many other races are hanging out together. Mind you they are NPCs, but it shows you that there are instances in the story where these races that supposedly hate each other get along instead.

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

They have chosen NOT to.

For an RPer it does matter, and of course for many community determines the longevity and fun factor of the game. My biggest gripe with the way it's set up is that it puts up boundaries for those of us who prefer PvE for the sake of PvP. Which is the case with many of these games. I don't know how many times in these games I've had to relearn my chosen role because of drastic combat changes meant to rebalance PvP. This game will take that mentality a step further by limiting where I can go with my chosen character.

Then I want to take a stab at your ability to roleplay, because this is set 1000 years before whatever was last, and these factions/alliances have come together to fight over cryodiil... So if you were a true roleplayer, you would adopt the scenario you've been given, you would accept that the developer, and the game itself is the rule master or whatever, and play your role from there.

I agree, not being able to freely go to the other two realms is annoying, but I think if we were able to go there, it should be hostile territory, because these factions are at war, they're physicall warring against each other... So I would say they should open up the other zones from level1, but outsiders should be hostile to the natives, while the natives would be immune unless they engage.

As for pvp rebalances, there's already evidence that they balance seperately for pvp/pve, look at CC for that evidence.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

The thing with compromises is that they need to be acceptable to both sides to work. Some find the compromises acceptable, some don't.

Would you be happy with a 3 faction compromise where players could choose their faction besides which race to play with the caveat that they can travel anywhere at anytime and be with any other player no matter the racial differences?

For me, that is an acceptable compromise because I don't care one whit about AvAvA, so not much of a compromise for me. For you, who likes the AvAvA set-up, I bet it would be a tough compromise to swallow. I could be wrong. I often am :)

The compromise of travel to faction based instances of other faction areas at level 50 only, with no PvE interaction with other faction players is not much of a compromise in your eyes, I would gather. For some, myself included, it is not enough. For others who want to explore and experience other areas, it is a fine compromise.

It is a tough call, for sure. The first step is understanding what each side desires.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

They have chosen NOT to.

Then I want to take a stab at your ability to roleplay, because this is set 1000 years before whatever was last, and these factions/alliances have come together to fight over cryodiil... So if you were a true roleplayer, you would adopt the scenario you've been given, you would accept that the developer, and the game itself is the rule master or whatever, and play your role from there.

I agree, not being able to freely go to the other two realms is annoying, but I think if we were able to go there, it should be hostile territory, because these factions are at war, they're physicall warring against each other... So I would say they should open up the other zones from level1, but outsiders should be hostile to the natives, while the natives would be immune unless they engage.

As for pvp rebalances, there's already evidence that they balance seperately for pvp/pve, look at CC for that evidence.

Trust me I already know that it won't change a thing, because the core of the game is already fleshed out and they aren't going to drastically deviate from the plan they already have in place. That's just going to be a determining factor in wether or not I'll play it.

Of course if I decide to play this game I'll make do with what they give me, but it won't stop me from expressing my likes/dislikes before the game is ready for release.

They have chosen NOT to.

So you think there should be no room for role playing in this game, a character's backstory has always been his/hers to create in an RPG as is his/her entire story. These atifical boundaries are only being put in place so they can simplify PvP a bit.

Lets take WoW for instance you have 2 main warring factions, but as you traverse the world you find that there are places where trolls, dwarves, and many other races are hanging out together. Mind you they are NPCs, but it shows you that there are instances in the story where these races that supposedly hate each other get along instead.

I played in an RP server, Guinnevere, in DAoC for years. We seemed to manage despite being realm locked. Maybe we were just that good image

Yeah WOW... they went all fluffy and away from the original faction rivalries with several expansions. Now they've realized their mistake and with each new patch they are trying to go back to the original emnity. Too late in my opinion... WOW jumped the shark--lorewise--a long time ago... right around the time they hired Mr. T to do ads for them.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

The thing with compromises is that they need to be acceptable to both sides to work. Some find the compromises acceptable, some don't.

Would you be happy with a 3 faction compromise where players could choose their faction besides which race to play with the caveat that they can travel anywhere at anytime and be with any other player no matter the racial differences?

For me, that is an acceptable compromise because I don't care one whit about AvAvA, so not much of a compromise for me. For you, who likes the AvAvA set-up, I bet it would be a tough compromise to swallow. I could be wrong. I often am :)

The compromise of travel to faction based instances of other faction areas at level 50 only, with no PvE interaction with other faction players is not much of a compromise in your eyes, I would gather. For some, myself included, it is not enough. For others who want to explore and experience other areas, it is a fine compromise.

It is a tough call, for sure. The first step is understanding what each side desires.

That's all you really need to say. This is an AvAvA game and you don't care a whit about it.

And the post-fifty travel to a fake instance of the other areas? No, not acceptable to me. It's just a PR bone--a kludge. Going to the real other area and fighting the enemy there? That would be an acceptable compromise.... unnecesary but I could live with that.

The game is designed around a 3-sided war. Wars are not nice. They are brutal and bloody. Do you think in WW2 a Londoner could go to Berlin on holidays to visit friends? Having friendly PvE visist is just totally inconsistent with their core design.

If they had chosen to make a PvE  MMO with the usual e-sport PvE stuff? Sure, no problem. Problem for you and those who don't lile this design is that they did it this way.

But at any rate you know the compromise I was talking about. It's a guild, a group of friends...whatever, making a decission about which one of 3 factions to have their group in. I guess those group decissions have gotten increasingly difficult to make in this "I want it all and I want it now" age.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Thing is they aren't trying anything different, they're copying a game that a handful of them helped make over 12 years ago. If they actually wanted to do something different why not actually take, not what made the IP a great single player game, but what made it a great RPG and integrate it into a MMO. With all of the posts about wanting something different and new, it's hard to understand why people still get excited when we see devs rehashing the same old mechanics from a decade ago.

This is the problem with speaking before playing, for all we know they could be doing just that, with different systems than the travel anywhere at anytime philosophy of TES.

As for equating people who post about wanting something different with those excited about this title, have you done a check to see if the two camps house the same posters?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    As long as all that RvR stuff is in the cyrodil zone and the rest of the game is dedicated to PvE as in exploring the rest of the world im good with it.  And ill do cyrodil when I feel like it.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Why should we have to make compromises?  There are more than enough games out there, is making an mmo that tells players, if you want to be with your friends learn to like one of the 3 choices you have a good idea?

I don't care for role play. I like to play the race I like.  I'll play one I don't much care for, but it does add one more mark to the why don't we go play another game column.

Lots of people enjoy playing some races over others, some like playing the op or min/max choice.  The race lock won't ruin the game I don't think, but why place a hurdle for players right at the start?

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

is making an mmo that tells players, if you want to be with your friends learn to like one of the 3 choices you have a good idea?

Yea, it is.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

is making an mmo that tells players, if you want to be with your friends learn to like one of the 3 choices you have a good idea?

Yea, it is.

No, it is not.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Xarko

Yea, it is.

No, it is not.

actually yes it is, for far too long devs have been caving in to you know it all opinionated gamers and creating these vast worlds of crap.

at the start of this genre, devs stated what was going to happen and if you liked it you played it, if not you didnt. period.

look what we have now, tons of mmos that have no direction, no innovations, why? because devs repeatedly listen to opinionated armchair devs, who, if they really were what they say they are, go fund and develope their game with their vision, instead of sitting on the couch flaming everything they can.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by killahh

Yea, it is.
    No, it is not.
    actually yes it is, for far too long devs have been caving in to you know it all opinionated gamers and creating these vast worlds of crap.at the start of this genre, devs stated what was going to happen and if you liked it you played it, if not you didnt. period.look what we have now, tons of mmos that have no direction, no innovations, why? because devs repeatedly listen to opinionated armchair devs, who, if they really were what they say they are, go fund and develope their game with their vision, instead of sitting on the couch flaming everything they can.
    So they decide to make this MMO with your favored forced faction choice in an IP renowned for the freedom of choice players have. I must say, sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Brilliant!

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

look what we have now, tons of mmos that have no direction, no innovations, why? because devs repeatedly listen to opinionated armchair devs, who, if they really were what they say they are, go fund and develope their game with their vision, instead of sitting on the couch flaming everything they can.

That's the silliest notion I've ever heard.  You have a distored view of reality if you think that game devs are magical creatures that make no mistakes and the entire MMO genre is ruined by a mysterious group of designers with the sole purpose of taking your cookie.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Yea, it is.
    No, it is not.
    actually yes it is, for far too long devs have been caving in to you know it all opinionated gamers and creating these vast worlds of crap.

at the start of this genre, devs stated what was going to happen and if you liked it you played it, if not you didnt. period.

So they decide to make this MMO with your favored forced faction choice in an IP renowned for the freedom of choice players have. I must say, sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Brilliant!

Thing is, nobody should be expecting the freedom of choice that is available in a single player RPG, to exist in an MMORPG.

So yes, reducing the choice's available is, in some ways, brilliant.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Yea, it is.
    No, it is not.

rumour has it that Auto Assault was a brilliant idea too, funny how a game is supposedly more popular if you take away even more things, and freedom of choice is vastly overrated anyway, people prefer to be told what to do and when to do it, everyone knows that image

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    WoW effectively killed the MMORPG genre by taking Everquest and expanding upon it with its good parts. Everyone is looking for the next universally played MMO in majority. I still think WoW is a good game in its current state, but everyones expectations are "I want to be addictted and play it for years" with every new MMO that comes out.