Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the real ESO please stand-up?

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Iselin

What do you think?

I think your post only holds up if there can be only 2 possible types of people. Which there isnt. Shocking eh?

I am both #1 and #2 and THAT is the reason why I dont think this game has to be the way it is. There have been MMORPGs more like TES than this game is. The only reason they are making it this way is due to their OWN limitations as programmers.

I dont want an MMORPG like TES because I am a TES player more than an MMO player. I want an MMO like TES because MMORPGs that are not made wrapped in a tiny little box are far more fun to play and actually FIT the IP. There was no point in their using it other than to use its popularity to try to bring back a game design so few care about they couldnt get any funding to make a sequal to it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jtcgs

What do you think?

I think your post only holds up if there can be only 2 possible types of people. Which there isnt. Shocking eh?

I am both #1 and #2 and THAT is the reason why I dont think this game has to be the way it is. There have been MMORPGs more like TES than this game is. The only reason they are making it this way is due to their OWN limitations as programmers.

I dont want an MMORPG like TES because I am a TES player more than an MMO player. I want an MMO like TES because MMORPGs that are not made wrapped in a tiny little box are far more fun to play and actually FIT the IP. There was no point in their using it other than to use its popularity to try to bring back a game design so few care about they couldnt get any funding to make a sequal to it.

Actually 1 + 2 was choice number 3 image

I get it...it's just a game to you. One made by programmers of limited ability. Too bad it's not being made by the gods of programming... btw, who are the gods of programming and which MMO have they made recently?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by pokrak

I will play it for pvp as many others and if they break it at some point they will loose half of their population...

Lets play the numbers game (unable to verify sales of TES games, just numbers found from a few sources, might be wrong but you get the point)...

DAOC subscribers/players roughly 250,000.

TES subscribers/players over 7 million (Oblivion 3mil and Skyrim 4mil).

If you were making a game to make a profit who would you want to piss off less?

Subscribers/Players... I lol'd. Cuz those are the same thing, right? Also, DAoC had 250k AT PEAK... Over the course of the last 11 yeaars, DAOC has had MLLIONS upon MILLIONS of players... I'm sick of the Single-player RPG crowd hearingt this one statistic and thinking that it's the total number of RvR fans in the world, rofl. Please. RvR has been in-demand for YEARS now, and by millions of players willing to pay $15/month. Good luck getting $15 a month from the SPRPG crowd once they've blown thru all your content...

At least he brought up a link to show some proof where is your proof of claiming those millions because I dont realy hear much about daoc especially since its subs are in the millions, if it was in the millions people would be talking about it as much as they talk about WoW in almost every website that hs to do with video games.  Also PvE mmorpgs have more subscribers than any of the RvR mmorpgs.  And even if they are able to get 1/4 of the player fanbase of the elder scrolls series it would still be in the millions which is a lot more than 250k as that posters stats show.  And what makes you think they will go the P2P with 15 a month after seeing mmos with IPs like Star Wars and GW2 and pretty much all mmos this generation going the B2P or F2P with in game shops and finding more success out of it considering most of the ES IP fans are on consoles that are more used to microtransactions in games and majority are against monthly subs.  There are still more people demanding more PvE than there are people who demand RvR.  All you seem to do is insult others and their post and make immature comments but I dont find that surprising from a PvPers.  You guys have become so predictable with your whole carebear namecalling thing that doesnt realy hurt no ones feelings.  People who loves using the term carebear is prolly a punk in real life.

We get it. Your crowd is bigger than our crowd and you're going to beat us over the head with your consoles.

Can you not come up with a better argument than game design by mob rule? 

Ummm do you know how bussiness is made by big game companys...because a lot of the design is based on marketing statistics.  Are you new to mmorpgs?  Doesnt it make sense to make a game that majority will enjoy than a minority and that makes them more money to improve the game further.

What do you think?

I get it...it's just a game to you. One made by programmers of limited ability. Too bad it's not being made by the gods of programming... btw, who are the gods of programming and which MMO have they made recently?

Then doesnt that make you yet another choice, one who doesnt actually care about the IP just as long you get a chance to relive your MMO past because you look backwards with rosecolored glasses at one single MMO.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

What do you think?

Then doesnt that make you yet another choice, one who doesnt actually care about the IP just as long you get a chance to relive your MMO past because you look backwards with rosecolored glasses at one single MMO.

Hmm... I've played at least 15 MMOs since DAoC. And I don't wear glasses. The genre has advanced, things have moved on. It's only you and people like you who seem to think this will be exactly like DAoC. My imagination is not that limited. I can imagine something that says 2013 and is much better. But then, I'm not assuming programmers with limitations, you are.

Good try though.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Hmm... I've played at least 15 MMOs since DAoC. And I don't wear glasses. The genre has advanced, things have moved on. It's only you and people like you who seem to think this will be exactly like DAoC. My imagination is not that limited. I can imagine something that says 2013 and is much better. But then, I'm not assuming programmers with limitations, you are.

Good try though.

Its ok, I love you dispite your flaws.

See, there are MMOrpgs, then there are mmoRPGs.

DaoC, WoW, Warhammer and their ilk are MMOrpgs.

UO, EQ1&2, AC1, SWG....they are mmoRPGs. Far less hand holding, funneling and being needed to be told how to have "pride"...

TES is a RPG, it should be made into an mmoRPG where people are free to be WHO they want and HOW they want to play, not have their hand held, not be told who they are, how they are going to play, where they can fight...not be limited.

I fully understand that the staple MMO player NEEDS to be told where to go and what to do, need that carrot hanging in front of their faces...and thats fine...just dont bastardize an exsisting IP made for people that DONT NEED it...and the genre sure as hell doesnt need another MMOrpg overrun with themepark so much even its PvP is themepark.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    The only thing on your side that I have an issue with is that you think chatting with the enemy makes no sense in design model #2.  I like to be able to talk with my enemies.  Sure it may turn into arguments sometimes but thats what /ignore is for.  You might say but then people will be spies and give out battle plans and such.  That's fine, if there are spies there are spies, thats just another dimension to the game.  I don't see why the game has to be hard coded so opposing factions are never able to understand each others words.  But that's just me I suppose, the majority must not mind so much because I believe WoW is still like that.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Cochran1
    Thing is they aren't trying anything different, they're copying a game that a handful of them helped make over 12 years ago. If they actually wanted to do something different why not actually take, not what made the IP a great single player game, but what made it a great RPG and integrate it into a MMO. With all of the posts about wanting something different and new, it's hard to understand why people still get excited when we see devs rehashing the same old mechanics from a decade ago.

How do you know? Have you actually AvA'd in this game already? It could be very, very different from all you know.

Three faction RvR doesn't sound even remotely familiar to you, because it does to me. They're trying to capture the "glory days" of their development career, because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone. I've said it before, the fact that Bethesda wants nothing to do with this game speaks volumes about what Zenimax wanted to do with the IP in the first place.

The only reason they're calling it AvA is because RvR is copywritten. Other than that it's the same core mechanic in a zonewide conflict.

Thing is they aren't trying anything different, they're copying a game that a handful of them helped make over 12 years ago. If they actually wanted to do something different why not actually take, not what made the IP a great single player game, but what made it a great RPG and integrate it into a MMO. With all of the posts about wanting something different and new, it's hard to understand why people still get excited when we see devs rehashing the same old mechanics from a decade ago.

How do you know? Have you actually AvA'd in this game already? It could be very, very different from all you know.

Three faction RvR doesn't sound even remotely familiar to you, because it does to me. They're trying to capture the "glory days" of their development career, because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone. I've said it before, the fact that Bethesda wants nothing to do with this game speaks volumes about what Zenimax wanted to do with the IP in the first place.

The only reason they're calling it AvA is because RvR is copywritten. Other than that it's the same core mechanic in a zonewide conflict.

+1 internets

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone? No, it's because people have been demanding a good RvR game every since ToA came out... but, you probably don't know what I mean by that. If that's the case, then please don't talk about a subject you don't know a athing about...

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Because they don't want to step out of their comfort zone? No, it's because people have been demanding a good RvR game every since ToA came out... but, you probably don't know what I mean by that. If that's the case, then please don't talk about a subject you don't know a athing about...

Except ToA did not really hurt Daoc sub numbers, and in fact their subs peaked well after it.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Good try though.

UO, EQ1&2, AC1, SWG....they are mmoRPGs. Far less hand holding, funneling and being needed to be told how to have "pride"...

TES is a RPG, it should be made into an mmoRPG where people are free to be WHO they want and HOW they want to play, not have their hand held, not be told who they are, how they are going to play, where they can fight...not be limited.

I fully understand that the staple MMO player NEEDS to be told where to go and what to do, need that carrot hanging in front of their faces...and thats fine...just dont bastardize an exsisting IP made for people that DONT NEED it...and the genre sure as hell doesnt need another MMOrpg overrun with themepark so much even its PvP is themepark.

What TES games are you playing to think they warrant more of a UO/SWG feel? TES games feel way more like themepark games than sandbox.

Deep TES games died long ago, after Bethesda themselves 'bastardised' the IP with Redguard.

Ok, so why didn't they just make an RvR game rather than turning an IP not even known for PvP into it. They couldn't get Bethesda to sign on to develop an actual ES game so decided to stick to what they know, but they wanted the ES IP to do half of the marketing for them.

Mark Jacobs is trying to work on a RvR game, but he's not doing it to an IP that's known for it's PvE. Atleast if CU fails it won't have dragged a well known IP down with it.

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Member Posts: 28

As an TES fan I was SUPER excited when ESO was announced.

I'm also a fan of the timesink that is PVP/RvR (minus the low-level gankathon).

After reading this entire thread and a similar one trending, I can honestly say, I'm no longer excited.

No one cares, but I thought it necessary to say for myself.

I think I understand the OPs logic and layout of the (3) and find myself agreeing or belonging to all. I guess the real answer lies with the final product and where it will be after 3 months.

I think I'll wait for the free trial.

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

Good try though.

UO...1997... didn't want anything to do with it. I'd had it with His Lordship by then

EQ... 1999 ... wasn't intersted because I already had AC

AC1... 1999... loved it. Played the shit out of it...too bad they screwed up AC2..

SWG... 20003... meh... talk about rose colored glasses lol, Building houses and interior decorating...not my cup of tea. I was still enjoying DAoC then.

So... all these masterpieces from the past... I notice a conspicuous lack of mmoRPGs (lol I like your spin) these days. Where have they all gone?

And yeah... DaoC...2001...where I went after AC. Still the best PvP I've ever played. To use your naming convention, I would call this one an MMORPG image

Handholding...please. Go try your sandbox aficionado trolling on someone else.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

So you hear "3 faction RvR" and you then know all you need to know?

You then assume people who develop games for a living, don't learn, but you, a game player, does.

Further you fantasize distaste from the true TES developers because Bethesda's parent company, not Bethesda itself is developing it.

I have to say I am in awe of your intelect.

To paraphrase jtcgs... internet fail.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

So you hear "3 faction RvR" and you then know all you need to know?

You then assume people who develop games for a living, don't learn, but you, a game player, does.

Further you fantasize distaste from the true TES developers because Bethesda's parent company, not Bethesda itself is developing it.

I have to say I am in awe of your intelect.

To paraphrase jtcgs... internet fail.

10 + years of MMO history pretty much shows me that developers haven't learned...

and there's no need for you to condesend to me just because you don't like my point of view.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Great! Fine! make a new, good RvRvR game. Make DAOC2. Just dont bastardize an existing and much loved IP that doesnt call for it

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Look I just want a game I will be playing in 2 years time.  Not something I will put down because its boring, or I ran out of content, or  you name it.

Thus, the game needs a couple of things; namely "a sense of ownership".  That can be achieved thru unique character creation, or class creation, or territory in the game.   And, consequences,  a game without penalties or choices has no meaningful rewards.

So if you give me Skyrim Online  or DAOC2  I won't play it long if its not fun.  And to be fun it has to engage me. 

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Ok, so why didn't they just make an RvR game rather than turning an IP not even known for PvP into it. They couldn't get Bethesda to sign on to develop an actual ES game so decided to stick to what they know, but they wanted the ES IP to do half of the marketing for them.

Mark Jacobs is trying to work on a RvR game, but he's not doing it to an IP that's known for it's PvE. Atleast if CU fails it won't have dragged a well known IP down with it.

The IP  isn't known for making MMO's either, but here we are... Obviosuly, they wanted to do something new... I'm sick of people talking about what's Elder Scrolls, and what's not ES... If it takes place in Tamriel, they have the same races, and Lore... Guess What? It's Elder Scrolls. 

Game mechanics change, it's the world we fell in love with... They changed in every single Elder Scrolls game, and they'll be changing even more with TESO, can't we enjoy something new? This level of deep PvE experience combined with a rich, and rewarding RvR system, has simply never been done before (since DAoC didn't have much in the way of deep PvE)... Let's enjoy!

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Boggles my mind why everyone refuses to see the obvious solution.

Even the OP missed the whole point of the majority of what they call group 1.

Most people I've spoken to that agree with me this is NOT a TES game in anything other than name say the same thing.

They want EVERYTHING group 1 wants AND EVERYTHING group 2 wants.

AND THEY COULD DO THIS!!!!!!

They have chosen NOT to.

3 faction warfare...based on houses not race.

No land locks.  No classes, skill based advancement just like the games.

NO restriction on content level based or otherwise.

Make the game with everything everyone wants.  This is not hard to do...the moronic DaoC jerkoff in charge just refuses to accept that it COULD be done.

And the above game would be much more satisfying to everyone in groups 1 and 2 than what they are making now.  As of now nobody is really happy.  That's what most games I've seen in the past decade have done...and failed because of.

WoW is the only acception and the reasons why have been beaten to death WITH a dead horse on these forums.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

Originally posted by GreenWidow

Most people I've spoken to that agree with me this is NOT a TES game in anything other than name say the same thing.

They have chosen NOT to.

Make the game with everything everyone wants.  This is not hard to do...the moronic DaoC jerkoff in charge just refuses to accept that it COULD be done.

And the above game would be much more satisfying to everyone in groups 1 and 2 than what they are making now.  As of now nobody is really happy.  That's what most games I've seen in the past decade have done...and failed because of.

WoW is the only acception and the reasons why have been beaten to death WITH a dead horse on these forums.

The only thing I would want different is the warfare, make it multi-faction warfare based on allegiance which players can choose. If you decide not to choose a faction then you can merc yourself to any faction anytime you want.

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

They have chosen NOT to.

The only thing I would want different is the warfare, make it multi-faction warfare based on allegiance which players can choose. If you decide not to choose a faction then you can merc yourself to any faction anytime you want.

I guess you didn't play gw2, where titan alliance on HoD made a player allegiance and destroyed the wvw scene, forced hundreds if not thousands of transfers and potentially ruined the game...

If you let players make cross faction allegiances... you would end up with a huge blob that just murdered the tiny minority.

Stop being a moron, just get all your friends on one faction.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

They have chosen NOT to.

Let's say they did all this...why is this better than what they're doing?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Sentnl

They have chosen NOT to.

I guess you didn't play gw2, where titan alliance on HoD made a player allegiance and destroyed the wvw scene, forced hundreds if not thousands of transfers and potentially ruined the game...

If you let players make cross faction allegiances... you would end up with a huge blob that just murdered the tiny minority.

Stop being a moron, just get all your friends on one faction.

Once again someone doesn't agree so they resort to condescention and name calling.

I'm talking about multiple hard coded fations in the game in which people get to initially choose and stick with, not cross faction alliegences where players use vent to coordinate and exploit the game mechanics.