Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the real ESO please stand-up?

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

EDIT: I replaced my original 1 with a less biased version...thanks Sovrath.

ESO forum metagames...what a lovely way to pass the time before the release of the game!

So here's my attempt to summarize the two opposing POVs that turn every thread here into a rehashing of the same arguments.

1. On the one hand you have the people who argue that ESO has to, first and formost, be true to the TES IP. This includes complete freedom to go anywhere and do anything.  The Alliances, the alliance wars and anything related to that are not seen in Elder Scrolls game in a manner that is as restriced as the current system. This is a group of players/fans who would like to facilitate anything that makes this MMO Skyrim Online. They have been fighting an uphill battle since Zmax announced their vision for the game: 3-sided AvA, 3 alliances, 3 separate PvE areas, one massive AvA area, with a notable concession fron Zenimax. They have been using every bit of logic as well as their knowledge of past Elder Scrolls games to rail agains Zmax's core design vision... in this forum, they are legion. They consider themselves TES fans first and MMO fans second.

2. On the other side you have those who have played TES games but prinarily play a lot of MMOs. These guys are MMO fans to whom ESO is just the latest in a long string of MMO projects. They are intersted in this one prinarily for 2 reasons: it's a big-money AAA project and they seem to have a different approach than WOW and all its clones. This is a group that wants to try something truly different and is open to change. The TES IP? A nice bonus but not a big consideration. When Zmax announced the 3-sided AvA as the centerpiece of this MMO they became more, not less, interested because this is clearly not WOW and is reminiscent of a much beloved old game that did it this way, DAoC.

Although I'm definitely in camp #2, I'll admidt that both versions of ESO have merit.

#1 would be very Skyrimish. A world where there are bad guys, beasts and monsters one can fight--some more challenging than others that would require large groups to defeat. They need nothing else to have fun. They are not unlike the majority of WOW players who spend 95% or more of their time in PvE pursuits...it's a popular MMO model. If this is the design model chosen, then factons don't exists and obviously there is no need for faction locks and everyone would be able to talk and group with anyone of any race and go everywhere--nothing else would make any sense.

#2 would be unlike any current game (although GW2 has attempted something similar recently with their 3-sided server wars.) There would be PvE to be sure, but the primary activity is meant to be participation in the Alliance battles in Cyrodiil. This is the model Zmax chose and has been working on for several years. In this world, it would be inconsistent for Aliance enemies to call a time-out and group with each other to kill big bad monsters--that would make no sense. For this to be consistent, the Allaince Wars would need to impact the behavior in the whole world--not just Cyrodiil. Otherwise thhat world would lack integrity and cohesive design.Chatting and grouping with the enemy makes no sense in that design model. Visiting the other sides PvE areas? Sure, that could happen but you'd have to be PvP flagged there for this to be consistent.

Mind you some people could care less. This is the "it's just a game, dude!" crowd. They don't want worlds. They just want to have fun. I think Cindy Lauper is the inspirational leader of this crowd. "What could be simpler," they say, "give group 1 the PVE they want and group 2 the PvP they want...problem solved!" Well...not really. What this would do is take credibility away from both concepts...none of it would make sense. I would be willing to bet that this is the path that the shortsighted moneygrubbing suits would prefer. Shortsighted I say because with this mishmash, serious MMOers would just laugh at the obvious cash grab of trying to be everything to all people. This "compromise solution" would be doomed at birth. It would be yet another 3-months and out release. I guess we could say that this is group #3 but they'd probably hate that since this is a fiercely individualistic forum faction.

What do you think?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• elohssaelohssa Member Posts: 38

The 1st group have no merit.

I am sort of 2nd group, but I dislike the idea of no real end game progression content. (raids) Quests and shit aren't real end game, so don't even bother with that load of BS.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by elohssa

I am sort of 2nd group, but I dislike the idea of no real end game progression content. (raids) Quests and shit aren't real end game, so don't even bother with that load of BS.

Raids and high-level PvE content could fit in any model...so long as it fits clearly within the overall design. I'm not a raider but I'm not against raids

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Could you slant this topic any more?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Iselin

What do you think?

Well, I think your post would have been infinitely more impressive had you not been so disparging in your bias.

However, you did put "Although I'm definitely in camp #2, I'll admidt that both versions of ESO have merit." So that was a nod in the right direction.

I could rewrite what you said with the bias going the other way but that wouldn't really be adding anything constructive to the conversation.

I'll edit this part to make it on par with the second part:

1. On the one hand you have the people who argue that ESO has to, first and formost, be true to the TES IP. This includes complete freedom to go anywhere and do anything.  The Alliances, the alliance wars and anything related to that are not seen in Elder Scrolls game in a manner that is as restriced as the current system. This is a group of players/fans who would like to facilitate anything that makes this MMO Skyrim Online. They have been fighting an uphill battle since Zmax announced their vision for the game: 3-sided AvA, 3 alliances, 3 separate PvE areas, one massive AvA area, with a notable concession fron Zenimax. They have been using every bit of logic as well as their knowledge of past Elder Scrolls games to rail agains Zmax's core design vision... in this forum, they are legion. They consider themselves TES fans first and MMO fans second.

I think that's a good start.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Sovrath

What do you think?

Well, I think your post would have been infinitely more impressive had you not been so disparging in your bias.

However, you did put "Although I'm definitely in camp #2, I'll admidt that both versions of ESO have merit." So that was a nod in the right direction.

I could rewrite what you said with the bias going the other way but that wouldn't really be adding anything constructive to the conversation.

I'll edit this part to make it on par with the second part:

I think that's a good start.

Fair enough... I am biased. I freely admit it. Let's go with your version of #1 instead of mine.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Aliances, 3 way faction conflict, seperate PvE and PvP area's...all fine and do not need to deviate from the TES games much to be achievable.

The problem is, to provide the aliances, 3 way faction conflict and seperate PvE and PvP area's they chose a way that forces players into a different type of gameplay then what is possible.

That is a very important thing to remember. to achieve all the things mentioned yuo do not need to remove all the freedoms the designers have chosen to remove.

The tried and tested argument of "but this is an MMO, you can't do it" is simply a cop out people use because to the unimaginative or uncreative it seems that way. Unfortunately it has been shown elsewhere that it is possible and HAS been done.

As for #2 being unlike any other game out there....ask the DAOC guys if that is the case, perhaps read a few of the duscussions back before the designers revealed that at 50+ you can PvE explore the otehr 2 factions territories. I can assure you, people on BOTH sides of the arguments knew EXACTLY what the game was and it wasn't unlike any other game out there, it was exactly like a game released over 10 years ago.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Yes, I could have.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

Count me into group nr 2. Im expecting from ESO good pvp and most of all combat system must be fun(looks like it is). Then when I want to rest from slaying elfs and other s***s will look for fun in pve and I don't really care if its TES IP or any thing else...

I will play it for pvp as many others and if they break it at some point they will loose half of their population...

Fair enough... I am biased. I freely admit it. Let's go with your version of #1 instead of mine.

Thank you. I always considered you a reasonable person and your taste in the Game of Thrones can't be questioned.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by pokrak

I will play it for pvp as many others and if they break it at some point they will loose half of their population...

Lets play the numbers game (unable to verify sales of TES games, just numbers found from a few sources, might be wrong but you get the point)...

DAOC subscribers/players roughly 250,000.

TES subscribers/players over 7 million (Oblivion 3mil and Skyrim 4mil).

If you were making a game to make a profit who would you want to piss off less?

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

#2 should just read "people that want DAoC 2"

they certainly dont seem  'want something different and open to change', as you imply. all of their suggestions revolve around making it as close to DAoC as possible.

Originally posted by tokini

#2 should just read "people that want DAoC 2"

they certainly dont seem  'want something different and open to change', as you imply. all of their suggestions revolve around making it as close to DAoC as possible.

I beg to differ. Most of us got bored with DAoC and left. We want something better: better combat, better crafting, better terain with natural chokepoints, better end-game progression... I could go on.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I want to see what TESO is like.

I can see a lot of upset people when more information gets revealed.  It's certainly following the usual MMO trend of people arguing over how the game should be developed to attract the most people whilst ignoring how it is being developed.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

Lets play the numbers game (unable to verify sales of TES games, just numbers found from a few sources, might be wrong but you get the point)...

Maybe Zmax knew the numbers--the real ones, not the ones you're pulling out of...somehere--and decided to go with their original plan anyway? Just a guess...

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Miblet

I want to see what TESO is like.

I can see a lot of upset people when more information gets revealed.  It's certainly following the usual MMO trend of people arguing over how the game should be developed to attract the most people whilst ignoring how it is being developed.

this is true. reminds me of how a decent number of people kept hoping SWTOR was going to have some SWG elements and 'sandbox' features, etc., no matter how many times they were told the only thing the games shared was the IP.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Maybe Zmax knew the numbers--the real ones, not the ones you're pulling out of...somehere--and decided to go with their original plan anyway? Just a guess...

the DAoC figure is the peak subscriber numbers, what the overall number of accounts was over the lifetime of the game, i wouldnt like to estimate, but its obviously a much lower figure than that of the TES games, though i wouldnt go so far as to say 7 million as people who bought Skyrim most likely bought Oblivion and probably Morrowind too, but i do think its fair to say that TES fans do number in the millions rather than just a couple of hundred thousand. In the end, Zenimax will have to choose which demographic they want to appeal to, although catering to the DAoC crowd and the TES crowd shouldnt be mutually exclusive, there is no real reason why a racial faction lock should be in place, it doesnt fit in with the TES lore, except with some exceptionally obscure shoehorning that isnt really in keeping with TES anyway, thats not to say that a game can't be made in the TES vein with 3 factions, just that basing it on racial lock-ins was a bit of a weird move, basing the 3 factions on idealogical motives would have been far better, and more in keeping with TES, and moreover would have given players the option of choosing, which is also in keeping with the spirit of TES.image

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by elohssa

Raids and high-level PvE content could fit in any model...so long as it fits clearly within the overall design. I'm not a raider but I'm not against raids

I think the problem w/ this particular portion of group #1, is that they're argument doesn't hold up here. They're marching under the banner of 'TESO should be true to Elder Scrolls games!', and at the same time using that logic to criticisize the game for not having raiding.

Raiding is primarily a product of games like EQ / WoW. It literally has nothing to do with any of the elder scrolls games. Could it fit into the MMO version? Of course it could, but that wouldn't make it more of an elder scrolls game. It would just be a feature that a lot of people want, and are demanding.

Imho PvP makes a lot more sense in an elder scrolls game. Conflict is a huge part of the elder scrolls universe, and every game usually has at least 2 sides battling it out. They all have dungeon crawling, but that's mostly side-quest territory, and is still evident in the MMO.

- Really the only argument I've seen from group #1 that makes sense, is their push for a more open world. Last I heard, Zmax was giving a little ground in that area, but I haven't really been following it close enough to know specifics.

Originally posted by Phry

the DAoC figure is the peak subscriber numbers, what the overall number of accounts was over the lifetime of the game, i wouldnt like to estimate, but its obviously a much lower figure than that of the TES games, though i wouldnt go so far as to say 7 million as people who bought Skyrim most likely bought Oblivion and probably Morrowind too, but i do think its fair to say that TES fans do number in the millions rather than just a couple of hundred thousand. In the end, Zenimax will have to choose which demographic they want to appeal to, although catering to the DAoC crowd and the TES crowd shouldnt be mutually exclusive, there is no real reason why a racial faction lock should be in place, it doesnt fit in with the TES lore, except with some exceptionally obscure shoehorning that isnt really in keeping with TES anyway, thats not to say that a game can't be made in the TES vein with 3 factions, just that basing it on racial lock-ins was a bit of a weird move, basing the 3 factions on idealogical motives would have been far better, and more in keeping with TES, and moreover would have given players the option of choosing, which is also in keeping with the spirit of TES.image

Well, didn't mark jacobs say that DAoC was about 250k (on this site no less)  and we can see from here that at least Skyrim was in the millions...

Skyrim Sales Statistics Data
    Skyrim units sold in the first 48 hours 3.5 million
    Skyrim units sold in the first week release 7 million
    Skyrim sales in the first week of release $450 million
    Total Skyrim units sold 10 million
    Total Skyrim sales $620 million
    Average user review rating 92 / 100
    Highest number of concurrent players on Steam 280,000

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

Having said that, I don't believe Zenimax went into this endeavor without knowing this info therefore they probably based some of their decision on other factors.

Originally posted by aesperus

I think the problem w/ this particular portion of group #1, is that they're argument doesn't hold up here. They're marching under the banner of 'TESO should be true to Elder Scrolls games!', and at the same time using that logic to criticisize the game for not having raiding.

Whoa, stop it right there.

Let's not start spreading gossip and lies (when I know you really aren't "lying"). I know It's the interwebz but we can at least aim for a little higher here. A little.

You are seeing "some players" arguing for raiding and conveniently conflating them with those who are advocating for a more pure elder scrolls experience.

I would be dollars to donuts that those who are arguing for Raiding are more on the "we're mmo players and we don't really care as long as it's a good game" camp.

The numbers argument has a fatal flaw you know: Zenimax knows all of this, probably to the penny... and yet they chose the model they chose.

We're not talking about which they should choose based on sound accounting principles... they already chose.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Well, didn't mark jacobs say that DAoC was about 250k (on this site no less)  and we can see from here that at least Skyrim was in the millions...

Having said that, I don't believe Zenimax went into this endeavor without knowing this info therefore they probably based some of their decision on other factors.

Looks like majority of the fans are on consoles also and they have to think about that too.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

In the end, Zenimax will have to choose which demographic they want to appeal to, although catering to the DAoC crowd and the TES crowd shouldnt be mutually exclusive, there is no real reason why a racial faction lock should be in place, it doesnt fit in with the TES lore, except with some exceptionally obscure shoehorning that isnt really in keeping with TES anyway, thats not to say that a game can't be made in the TES vein with 3 factions, just that basing it on racial lock-ins was a bit of a weird move, basing the 3 factions on idealogical motives would have been far better, and more in keeping with TES, and moreover would have given players the option of choosing, which is also in keeping with the spirit of TES.
    That's my personal view. Have 3 factions. Do NOT make them race locked. Let them be a choice, as is more like the TES way. I have zero interest in AvAvA. None. Nadda. Zilch. With a choice, I could ignore AvAvA and play on. Since I am forced into it, I have very little desire to even play the game.

I am happy the DAoC fans have a new game. I really am. And the fans of both DAoC and TES are in hog haven!

I am butthurt that it happened in a game I would have thought would be near my dream game setting/IP.

"Here's a sweet apple pie! I made it based with a ground up pickeld beets and vinegar crust, though. Hopefully I put in enough sugar to please you."

No matter how I eat this pie, I will taste the beet and vinegar crust. Vinegar has a way of seeping into everything it comes close to.

The AvAvA aspect of TES:O seeps into every aspect of the game. Given a choice in which side to follow, I could deal with it. Now, I cannot talk to, or even interact with in a non-PvP way, any player other than my own faction. The stories will more than likely be heavily influenced by the ongoing war. Magical barriers have appeared throughout Tamriel that have never been there before. There is no trade between factions. Guilds (if present) will be faction locked where they were once Tamriel wide. Thieves, Assassins, and Doctors will know boundaries. Bards don't get to go anywhere their feet take them.

Again, I am truly happy for the DAoC gamers. It looks like they may have a great game here. I wish them all the happiness they can have with it :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    what the hell was Bethesda thinking in choosing devs of a RvR game to be trusted with their best IP and its lore/background plus majority of its fans.
    Originally posted by tkreep

Looks like majority of the fans are on consoles also and they have to think about that too.

yeah, so when Bethesda says that the majority of their customers are console based, they ain't kidding.

hmmm I wonder if they are working on that? Well, they have not made that indicatioin as they have clearly stated windows and mac. still...