Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Auction House 'Really Hurt the Game' Says Wilson

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

The rmah wasnt the problem. Stingy loot drops and a cheap gold ah was.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Dexter2010
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Dexter2010
    You are even charged for unsuccessful auctions via (*1) and (*2).

Wrong.

..and what monthly premium? Don't know what you are talking about.

You're wrong.

They may have changed it but at one point,  there was a monthly fee to access rmah. Concerning #2, you had pay to list items whether it sold or not.

I was selling things on that RMAH from day one. I am not wrong.

There has never been a monthly fee to access the auction house and you never had to pay to list. That it pure fact.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by jacktors

It is a little too late for many of us who have given up on Diablo 3.  I played Diablo 2 for many years, including the expansion (s).  I will not purchase any Diablo 3 expansions. I played until Nightmare mode, and I hit a roadblock of death.  The only way I was able to continue playing was if I either farmed gold for weeks, which is not the reason I decided to purchase this game, or spend my money in the RMAH.  

You hit a roadbloack of death on Nightmare and the only way you saw was to use the RMAH? I've read silly things but this is just the best. Or did you mean Inferno? I beat the game in 3-4 weeks without ever using the RMAH or farming for gold. And that was when Inferno was insane. I have never even opened the RMAH. 

What really annoys me is that people make a huge deal of the RMAH a nd make wild comments like you can't play the game without the RMAH. I've never even considered using it. Although I did quit because the game is just repeating the same thing over and over again. While I loved this formula back in 2002, it's no longer cutting it for me. Their itemisations was also very poor. I think maybe ARPG are not so fun any more just because of their heavy emphasis on repeating the same content which is extremely limited to begin with. PoE lasted me 1-2 weeks, TL2 lasted me a week, Diablo 3 lasted a bit longer - probably 1-2 months. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the AH's had to have hot fixes twice to resolve issues of Gold duping and Item duping...

I can clearly remember reading an article regarding both these issues not long after the games launch and that the AH's in D3 were both temporarily 'suspended' in the first month of release due to these very issues.

The reason I stopped playing D3, was I preferred to play the Barbarian. Finding gear for myself that made my character viable to survive the highest difficulties became too much of a drag where compared to all my mates' Demon Hunters standing back going 'pew pew' with their glass cannon builds I just felt, as far as a being a muscle bound brute force of nature went, I was too akin to a gentle breeze.

The game lost it's sense of epicness. The characters began to lose their majesty and power. And that's when D3 lost my mates and I as players.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I liked D3 quite a bit and loved the AH's.  However, gold botters killed the economy on day 1 and caused prices for everything to go through the roof.  If they would have put a max gold and max $ cap on the AH and actually sold gold themselves for the same gold/$ ratio then:

A) Gold botters would be forced to sell there bazillions of gold for lower rates than what Blizzard set the normal gold/$ rate for.

B) Items would not cost 100,000,000 gold but something more reasonable that a player could naturally farm in a few days time without the need of botting or buying gold.

C) Since the gold/$ ratio was set in stone then it would not matter which market you put your items in they would always be priced about the same and people could use either one without having to worry about their childrens college fund.

Ratero.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

This was indirectly said at the beginning of March.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

I couldn't disagree with this more.  The AH was not the problem.  NO END GAME was the problem.  Auction house just let you get to end game faster.  Without AH you would have had the even worse problem diablo 2 had which was the gold was USELESS.  There was a minor problem with real money auction houses which was that people were just unreasonable in prices, should have been a bit more regulated but hey I much prefered that too a monthly sub. 

The Monthly sub business model is dieing I was happy to see blizzard make an attempt at a different business model, but they shouldn't blame that model for their game being incomplete.

If blizzard wants to look at things they do wrong they should take another look at security, botters, farmers and hackers ruin their games more than features.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Why are there so many comments about the RMAH? The gold AH is a MUCH bigger problem than the RMAH.
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by ZeGerman

<snip>NO END GAME was the problem.<snip>

I don't agree with this at all.  We are afterall talking about D3 and none of the Diablo games really had an "End Game".  If you thought that it did then you did not know what you were signing up for when you picked up the game.  Diablo is more of a "kill tons of mobs for tons of shiny loot" game more than anything else.  It's a game that you repete content over and over and over again until your eyes bleed simply because you like to kill the mobs and now and then you may find an upgrade for your gear.

Ratero.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    {You hit a roadbloack of death on Nightmare and the only way you saw was to use the RMAH? I've read silly things but this is just the best. Or did you mean Inferno? I beat the game in 3-4 weeks without ever using the RMAH or farming for gold. And that was when Inferno was insane. I have never even opened the RMAH. } i Made a boo boo.  I meant Inferno.  Sorry for the confusion.. I will edit my post. I got stuck on act 2 inferno with my Monk, trying to fight mainly  Uniques. I could squeeze through most other content, but trying to pass through those tough Uniques and some blues was impossible at that point until Blizzard started nerfing the mobs. 
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Thought Wilson has left Diablo ?

He has, but he was also the lead designer and has overseen it for the majority of its lifecyle. Those are exactly they people you want covering the "post mortem".

What? Angry, bitter ex-employees? Now there's a group who will give you accurate information. image

Have we learned nothing from glassdoor.com?

Jay Wilson still works for Blizzard. If there's anything for him to be bitter about it's what ignorant douchebags gamers can be not the way the company has treated him.

I did not know that. The poster said he "was" the lead designer and I assumed he left. My bad. I really don't follow the careers of game designers. I give them money for their work on games I'm playing. I don't see them as any more important than the check-out clerk at Safeway and I'm not interested in her life story either...or her opinions of the company she works for and the products they produce.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    they should put a market like EvE Online have not a AH, removing the AH is yes another retarded idea spamming channels to trade is a time sink

BestSigEver :P

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

AH on itself didn't hurt the game.

It was the awful itemization that forced people to use AH to progress.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

The AH's were not the problem.

The problom with the items was the items were not as exciting as Diablo 2 items, and there was only one type to find; rares.

Diablo 2 had sets, legendaries, runes etc etc

Diablo 3 had sets and legendaries too, but they are sooo boring, and they never drop!

Diablo 3 had other problems too, like the brick wall when hitting inferno. How hard is it to make a curve that don't suddenly rises 90%...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    For me when something is too damn hard to drop I lose interest .I think too low drop rates will really kill a game for me and if there is a way to avoid it like buy something then eventhough I would probably buy it with gold not real money of course that in itself when kill the game for me but so far I have not bought anything because I just play different classes on the normal line and have no intention of doing inferno and such. However if I was so inclined and the drop rates were abysmal I would bail the minute I buy an item because why play then ?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

What went wrong imo is that they went for a MMO approach:

- MMO like rare droprates.

- MMO like auction house,

- MMO like always forced online, even if you are not interested in playing with others.

- (Modern) MMO like simplification of classes

And the irony is that it basically took only some weak points from (modern) MMO's :

- During serverproblems : can't even play on your own

- Turned a lootbased game into a lootlessbased game.

- Where is the replay value?

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63

THe game has had and has so much problems but there is 3 major things that makes the game absolutely not worthy !!!

1. It was booring always the same places to farm. That changed with the monster level but still no new maps.

2. Yeah dat R.M.A.H  .

3. THe biggest nr 1 first problem of all are the boots. Some people made 300 mill gold / hour.  they run 100 bots. Even hacking others account.

This people even gave an interview about this problem that, they cant sell gold because to much concurency to much bots.

This is rellated to AH also and the gameplay and this is one of my biggest problems.

TOP 10 players have lot of bots and they just buy out the best stuff possible .

These player sell and buy one piece of armor by 50.000.000.000 gold. You can check on the unbufed dps site how they try to sell these stuff on their comments.

Every non bot non cheat user player who thinks hes a hardcore diablo 3 player and spend's time on this game, has serious problems and he can be influenced easy and he's very blind. 

Competing in something where you have 0 % chance! it  is the 100 % time wasting. Blizzard is doing nothing to resolve this problem , they don't even care about it they where expecting 15 % income from AH. But project failed ,

Blizz failed, when i think of Blizzard i just think about some greedy untalented , wortless company now.

R.I.P Blizz thank you for D1 ,2 , Warcraft series , Starcraft and WoW Vanilla .

R.I.P for the last company who ever stayed alive so much and provided us with cool games but this is life kids, everything comes to an end.

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

There is a lot of sensationalism in this thread.  A lot.

I do not think D3's issues was the RMAH, but the repetiveness of certain areas and the drop rates. 

That being said, one thing I do believe Blizz did right was the unqiues/rares.  I found the combat in inferno (pre-nerf) against some of the rares great.  The bosses, not so much.  

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Most of the devs that made all those famous games before D3 and that developed WoW and then departed are for whom made Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.  just sayin, the real talent left long ago.
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    They gave players what many asked for and got crucified for it. Now players are screaming bloody murder because the "economy" is collapsing.  ARPG's shouldn't have economies. If you want to enjoy the game don't use the auction houses. It was never necessary. It just takes longer. Now the big push by players is to make the game even less challenging. Another bad idea.

When did players ask to lose the fun of finding loot valuable to themselves due to the randomizing of the loot tables done in a way to drive players to the AH?

Nice to hear the lead game designer admit what mant of us have been saying, and some refused to admit.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This guy's a genius.... lol

But yeah, I'm enjoying POE, myself.  It'll never sell 10 million copies, and I couldn't care less.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Jamkull
    Most of the devs that made all those famous games before D3 and that developed WoW and then departed are for whom made Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.  just sayin, the real talent left long ago.

And Torchlight, don't forget Torchlight.  Blizzard may still be sitting on a pile of money, but it's PEOPLE who make a company good or bad, and they're just not the same as they used to be.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Originally posted by DMKano
    AH based on trading items is the way to go, eliminate gold completely like Path of Exile, but put in an AH where you can post an item and then what items you want in exchange for it.

+1 should be in most games,i wonder how a mmorpg will be with this kind of system.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    They gave players what many asked for and got crucified for it. Now players are screaming bloody murder because the "economy" is collapsing.  ARPG's shouldn't have economies. If you want to enjoy the game don't use the auction houses. It was never necessary. It just takes longer. Now the big push by players is to make the game even less challenging. Another bad idea.

When did players ask to lose the fun of finding loot valuable to themselves due to the randomizing of the loot tables done in a way to drive players to the AH?

Nice to hear the lead game designer admit what mant of us have been saying, and some refused to admit.

1. Go to battle.net > Diablo III > Forums > General Discussion
    2. Search for "auction house"
    3. Sort by date
    4. Navigate to post page 4,651
    5. Read posts, working your way back toward page 1 (or at least get to post page 4,600)
    6. [sarcasm] Come back here and tell us players didn't get what they asked for [/sarcasm]
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I agree, after playing D3, the AH has hurt it.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!