Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Hyped Game Really?

Comments

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by PerfArt

It's because the concept for this game is something a lot of us have been wanting for many years, and now a developer we trust in this arena, having had a huge hand in creating arguably the best RvR experience we have ever had, is trying to breathe life into this concept.

It's because it is such a radical divergence from existing themepark, candy-coated, hand-holding joyrides that dominates the genre that it boggles the mind. We are just getting BORED of that, and this game has a CHANCE... just a small freaking speck of an angel's whisper of a baby's breath of a freaking CHANCE of giving us the sandbox RvR we have been waiting for ever since DAoC taught us how amazing RvR could be.

And we are daring to hope this because we know it CAN be delivered, and that a talented team is on it, and that the man behind it has had great success in this realm, is experienced, and has made the mistakes neccessary to know what NOT to do. There is no motive for any mysterious "oh look what he did with WAR he is just trying to dupe you guys lol" eventuality.

We are theorycrafting. We are speculating. We are excited, because for the first time in a long time, someone is taking a chance on something truly NEW, and something we want to play. We might be a minority, and we are fine with that. We might be getting prematurely excited, and we really don't care. We are having fun by having hope, and discussing not only the potential for this game, but also discussing a lot of mmorpg concepts that the very idea of this game engenders by virtue of it's vision.

No one is here saying that this is the second coming. We are just pumped. Because, let's face it, we love gaming and we want a game that loves us. Why should it bother anyone that we are excited about this? If YOU aren't, then farewell and good travels.

Sheesh. If you think a bunch of nerds anticipating a pre-development mmorpg is annoying, imagine how annoying it is to have people who could care less harrassing you because of it.

/checkmate.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Well - like i've already said in another thread: Have fun during the next 2-3 years.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Genadi

Yea, the GW2 hype was out of control. Most hype on this site is though. People actually start to lose their ability to reason. They are blinded by this fanatical devotion for a game that they have never played. It's strange.

Sigh yeah it's the people who are anticipating this game that have lost their ability to reason, this thread sure does prove that.... facepalm. Getting hyped for CU is the equivalent of getting hyped for a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's not fanatical devotion, it's an informed, well grounded in reality opinion based on announcements made re the new project and experiences had in past projects.

Just because you don't have the same opinion or haven't had the same experiences though just go ahead and asssume those differing from you are fanatical.... such a great way to create a healthy discussion board. Next time you go and make ridiculous statements based on nothing but a differing opinion take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure the stupidity you're spewing isn't self loathing redirected.

I was actually just commenting on the GW2 hype that happened here. If you don't think comparing a video game to the second coming of Christ is a tad bit fanatical (and Im not even religous) then I dont know what to tell you.

Most hype on this site could most definitly be called fanatical. Look at the definition of fanatical..: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

How many times have we all seen this behavior on these forums? How many games? I don't have to assume anything.

You are way to defensive. That leads me to believe that maybe you have reached that point where your ability to reason and actually have a discussion is questionable. You read my post and took it personally. Did I say anything in that post about CU? Have I ever posted anything about CU other than I would not pay 5k for my own isalnd? No.

You assume that I am not interested in CU or that I am a "hater". You are wrong. I am just cautiously optomistic. I watch the progression of the game, I read the interviews and I take all of the steps that any person who wanted to make an informed opinion about a game would. Right now there is not enough information to make any sort of opinion. Good or bad. Just a bunch of promises and ideas. That is hardly worth getting excited about.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by GreenHell

Yea, the GW2 hype was out of control. Most hype on this site is though. People actually start to lose their ability to reason. They are blinded by this fanatical devotion for a game that they have never played. It's strange.

Sigh yeah it's the people who are anticipating this game that have lost their ability to reason, this thread sure does prove that.... facepalm. Getting hyped for CU is the equivalent of getting hyped for a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's not fanatical devotion, it's an informed, well grounded in reality opinion based on announcements made re the new project and experiences had in past projects.

Just because you don't have the same opinion or haven't had the same experiences though just go ahead and asssume those differing from you are fanatical.... such a great way to create a healthy discussion board. Next time you go and make ridiculous statements based on nothing but a differing opinion take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure the stupidity you're spewing isn't self loathing redirected.

I was actually just commenting on the GW2 hype that happened here. If you don't think comparing a video game to the second coming of Christ is a tad bit fanatical (and Im not even religous) then I dont know what to tell you.

Most hype on this site could most definitly be called fanatical. Look at the definition of fanatical..: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

How many times have we all seen this behavior on these forums? How many games? I don't have to assume anything.

You are way to defensive. That leads me to believe that maybe you have reached that point where your ability to reason and actually have a discussion is questionable. You read my post and took it personally. Did I say anything in that post about CU? Have I ever posted anything about CU other than I would not pay 5k for my own isalnd? No.

You assume that I am not interested in CU or that I am a "hater". You are wrong. I am just cautiously optomistic. I watch the progression of the game, I read the interviews and I take all of the steps that any person who wanted to make an informed opinion about a game would. Right now there is not enough information to make any sort of opinion. Good or bad. Just a bunch of promises and ideas. That is hardly worth getting excited about.

You didn't address any of the points I made which displayed quite clearly how your statements were false. My point still stands.

• SushibarfSushibarf Member UncommonPosts: 14

I am much into this game as the next person and I do love the information we have gotten and the direction in which CU will be going.  I think this game will bring to the table a oldschool feel a lot of players have been missing especially for older gamers as myself.  That being said I can see where Sodaz or whatever his/her name is was coming from, with MJ having WAR under his belt a lot of people may back off the game at first till they hear how awesome it is.  Also I will say if you read the post he said he was into the game as well so not sure why you guys are flaming him/her for that I think he just wanted peoples opinion  but should of went by it in a better manner.  My one concern is people attacking him mindless about the game and I really hope the community doesn't act like that which if you read the forums takes place in GW2 forums all the time I think it gives the community a bad name we are here to have fun ane enjoy ourselves if they don't like CU then that's their fault they will miss out on a amazing game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't get excited for a game until I see it in action.  That went for GW2 as well.  CU is in a whole other ballpark.  I admit, I don't understand it.  Hopefully.. and I'm sincere about this.. you guys don't get disappointed, because how you imagine a game is going to be is almost ALWAYS better than how it ends up.
    Originally posted by Methios

My one concern is people attacking him mindless about the game and I really hope the community doesn't act like that which if you read the forums takes place in GW2 all the time

A valid concern... however, I think you mean GW2 forums.  GW2's in-game community is bar-none the most polite and awesome community I've ever been a part of.

• SushibarfSushibarf Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Methios

My one concern is people attacking him mindless about the game and I really hope the community doesn't act like that which if you read the forums takes place in GW2 all the time

A valid concern... however, I think you mean GW2 forums.  GW2's in-game community is bar-none the most polite and awesome community I've ever been a part of.

You are right sorry about that.  I am seeing it already with a few post and is never good for the community regardless of what others say.

Sigh yeah it's the people who are anticipating this game that have lost their ability to reason, this thread sure does prove that.... facepalm.

This thread was not trying to prove anything. It was asking a question.

Getting hyped for CU is the equivalent of getting hyped for a Quentin Tarantino movie.

How many people get hyped for a movie before it has even started production? Unless it is a huge IP that doesnt happen. When it does happen the end results are usually the same. Disappointment. SW Episode 1 is a perfect example.

It's not fanatical devotion, it's an informed, well grounded in reality opinion based on announcements made re the new project and experiences had in past projects.

How well grounded and informed can your opinions be at this point of development? All this game is right now is a bunch of ideas. Good or bad you are still years away from anything solid being released.

Just because you don't have the same opinion or haven't had the same experiences though just go ahead and asssume those differing from you are fanatical.... such a great way to create a healthy discussion board.

Next time you go and make ridiculous statements based on nothing but a differing opinion take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure the stupidity you're spewing isn't self loathing redirected.

You assume that I am not interested in CU or that I am a "hater". You are wrong. I am just cautiously optomistic. I watch the progression of the game, I read the interviews and I take all of the steps that any person who wanted to make an informed opinion about a game would. Right now there is not enough information to make any sort of opinion. Just a bunch of promises and ideas. That is hardly worth getting excited about.

You didn't address any of the points I made which displayed quite clearly how your statements were false. My point still stands.

There you go I addressed every point you made. I answered every sentence you wrote. Lets recap your points though so you can see I understand them.

You believe that getting hyped for a game is the same as getting hyped for a movie. I answered that.

You believe that you are making an informed well grounded opinion. Check, answered that one too.

You believe that since I do not have the same opinions or experiences as you that I have deemed you all fanatical. Answered that. By the way that was a total assumption on your part but whatever.

You believe that I made a statement oh sorry a "ridiculous statement"  based on nothing but a differing opinion. Another assumption but ok. I answered that one too.

As you can see I answered most of your points the first time around but this time it is color coded for ease of reading :) See I even put a smiley in there so you can't get upset or take this personally.

You know what? Mark Jacobs is at least TRYING, he's at least trying to take a firm stance on RvR, uncompromising, no bs, old-school RvR, in a no hand-holding, no carebear system, that rewards PvP, and promotes faction pride, as well as sandboxey elements... IMO, we should all give the game a 10/10, JUST to show our support for that, and for that type of game, if NOTHING else... Especially after ESO has been buckling at the knees to it's PvE crowd more and more lately, and turning its back on it's RvR/PvP fanbase.

You sure did, didn't make any sense and most of what you said is either false or opinion. I think you missed the point of why I said you didn't address the fact that I previously showed how what you said was untrue.

This thread has made one thing very clear. If someone like yourself has a narrative they want they will warp, dodge, assume and plain make things up to fit it.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

You know what? Mark Jacobs is at least TRYING, he's at least trying to take a firm stance on RvR, uncompromising, no bs, old-school RvR, in a no hand-holding, no carebear system, that rewards PvP, and promotes faction pride, as well as sandboxey elements... IMO, we should all give the game a 10/10, JUST to show our support for that, and for that type of game, if NOTHING else... Especially after ESO has been buckling at the knees to it's PvE crowd more and more lately, and turning its back on it's RvR/PvP fanbase.

Trust me that interest me as well but from a realistic standpoint until I see the gameplay I can't give it a score.  I would love for this game to be the new "Darkage of Camelot"  and really hope it does but I have my small worries and concern about the PVE that will be in this game cause you will need some no matter what imo.

You sure did, didn't make any sense and most of what you said is either false or opinion.

I would love to know what was false about my post. Some was opinion. An opinion based on what history has shown me to be true time and time again.

I think you missed the point of why I said you didn't address the fact that I previously showed how what you said was untrue.

Please then enlighten me. I answered all of your points very clearly.

This thread has made one thing very clear. If someone like yourself has a narrative they want they will warp, dodge, assume and plain make things up to fit it.

I have done none of those things. Yes some was opinion. I did not warp, dodge or assume anything you said. Well other than you may have crossed that line where you can longer reason or discuss this subject in an objective way. That was an assumption. An assumption that you are proving to be correct with every post you make. :) look another smiley!

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142

You sure did, didn't make any sense and most of what you said is either false or opinion. I think you missed the point of why I said you didn't address the fact that I previously showed how what you said was untrue.

Honestly it seems to me like you are the one with the narrative (hype sucks, you guys are sheep)and is blind to what is actually being said in this thread. People have answered the OP X times as to why the game is the hype for them; they like what MJ is proposing and there are several UPs for this game that excite them, and they have been listed.

You keep repeating the same sing-song. How about responding and reacting, rather then sticking to your guns come what may. Tbvh, for now you just seem like a sophisticated troll to me. The OPs question has been answered but you keep on just repeating yourself .

Originally posted by Sodahz

but I have my small worries and concern about the PVE that will be in this game cause you will need some no matter what imo.

There will be none, that is partially what is exciting some people.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Daizedd

but I have my small worries and concern about the PVE that will be in this game cause you will need some no matter what imo.

so all leveling is from PVP?

That's an out of context quote from another thread ... and I was referring to having like a DF, or something... I'm still pumped for this game. :P

That's an out of context quote from another thread ... and I was referring to having like a DF, or something... I'm still pumped for this game. :P

I am sorry Quall that is not actually you I am quoting I screwed up in editing. I am quoting Sodahz

EDIT: corrected

so all leveling is from PVP?

Correct, and MJ will not budge from that position from what I can see. If he does, I think he might get alotta hate mail :)

Honestly it seems to me like you are the one with the narrative (hype sucks, you guys are sheep)and is blind to what is actually being said in this thread. People have answered the OP X times as to why the game is the hype for them; they like what MJ is proposing and there are several UPs for this game that excite them, and they have been listed.

You keep repeating the same sing-song. How about responding and reacting, rather then sticking to your guns come what may. Tbvh, for now you just seem like a sophisticated troll to me. The OPs question has been answered but you keep on just repeating yourself .

What on Earth are you talking about? I think you quoted the wrong person, I suggest re-reading thread.

Can't keep this discussion up much longer, making me dumber just listening to some of you :) < Smile face.

What on Earth are you talking about? I think you quoted the wrong person, I suggest re-reading thread.

Can't keep this discussion up much longer, making me dumber just listening to some of you :) < Smile face.

Good use of a smiley!

I am sorry Quall that is not actually you I am quoting I screwed up in editing. I am quoting Sodahz

EDIT: corrected

Oh, I did say something similar to that in another thread, so I thought you searched through my posts and found an actual quote to discredit me somehow, lol. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I may have said some out-of-line things about MJ regarding the $5000 island thingie, but believe me when I say I will be happy as a clam if hardcore PvP'ers finally have a game to call home.  I mean that, I know it's one of the hardest bunch of people to please and if he manages, I wish you all the best.  I'm just not that into PvP myself.  You're right, he is trying for a type of game that some people will enjoy and I think that's rad.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Don't get me wrong, I may have said some out-of-line things about MJ regarding the $5000 island thingie, but believe me when I say I will be happy as a clam if hardcore PvP'ers finally have a game to call home.  I mean that, I know it's one of the hardest bunch of people to please and if he manages, I wish you all the best.  I'm just not that into PvP myself.  You're right, he is trying for a type of game that some people will enjoy and I think that's rad.

No offense, but if you're not that interested in PvP, why are you on a forum for a game that's completely dedicated to PvP? Do you actually plan on playing CU?

• KarraptathidKarraptathid Member Posts: 78

All I clearly said was there is no information to account for the rating being the highest rating on this site as of this time.  All Mark said is I want a RVR game that doesn't hold people hands with good crafting automatic makes this the most hyped bad doesn't sound right to me by anymeans.  If that sounds good to put it over games which will have a higher budget and PVP as well then like I said before no wonder why this genre has been so bad the past few years.

One thing your missing is we (those of use who are about to spend our hard earned cash on CU via kickstarter) are having an impact on the game design.  This is very unusual for a MMO to say the least.  This isn't purely about current and former DAoCers looking for something new but fimiliar, this about a possible new future for MMOs by empowering the little people vs top down management that we get from EA and other game publishers.   Yes, CU might suck at the end of the road, but damn it, it's *our* project that we backed and had input on.  That's something that is missing from your typical McD's MMO of the month that is slapped on your plate.

If your still not getting it, play WoW in peace.

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever

This discussion has been closed.