Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Hyped Game Really?

Comments

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Genadi
    Originally posted by Sodahz
    I understand you guys are fanboys and won't give me a legit answer to what I asked because the answer is  always Darkage of Camelot or EA.  I also never once said this game fail nor did I not like the idea behind it but there isn't any information really set in stone about this game besides the 10 principles which is nice and all but like I said he talked up WAR to be this amazing PVP game that bombed hard.  My only question was how can people hype a game up so much without any information about it and after having a game like WAR people won't take this game with caution.

Loads of examples and reasons why have been provided in this thread, which you created. You've chosen to ignore them or dodge them and steer the discussion to a place that fits your narrative. If we were all fanboys we'd still be playing WAR, when you start throwing out names it's the first indication you've realised your argument is weak.

Where? all I got was a link to the 10 principles Mark said he wanted for the game there is nothing at all which is the problem you are failing to see.  The only thing I have seen posted were people referring to Darkage about this game hoping it is similiar to that experience it had on them.   I am not trying to bash the game I would like it to be a fantastic PVP game as well but after WAR and that type of budget it makes me wonder and I know you will say because EA controlled the game but I am sure they didnt control every aspect of the game.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    I understand you guys are fanboys and won't give me a legit answer to what I asked because the answer is  always Darkage of Camelot or EA.  I also never once said this game fail nor did I not like the idea behind it but there isn't any information really set in stone about this game besides the 10 principles which is nice and all but like I said he talked up WAR to be this amazing PVP game that bombed hard.  My only question was how can people hype a game up so much without any information about it and after having a game like WAR people won't take this game with caution.

Loads of examples and reasons why have been provided in this thread, which you created. You've chosen to ignore them or dodge them and steer the discussion to a place that fits your narrative. If we were all fanboys we'd still be playing WAR, when you start throwing out names it's the first indication you've realised your argument is weak.

Where? all I got was a link to the 10 principles Mark said he wanted for the game there is nothing at all which is the problem you are failing to see.  The only thing I have seen posted were people referring to Darkage about this game hoping it is similiar to that experience it had on them.   I am not trying to bash the game I would like it to be a fantastic PVP game as well but after WAR and that type of budget it makes me wonder and I know you will say because EA controlled the game but I am sure they didnt control every aspect of the game.

There's 13 principles, not 10. Had you read them, you would've known that... Go read the FP's, and then come back and ask your question again, if you feel it still applies.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Why the hype? It is the only MMORPG I am at all excited for. A few others look OK, but are ultimately just playgrounds with a bunch of rides designed to keep you busy. They are not what I am looking for, which is engaging, visceral gameplay where there are actual consequences. I do not want to be kept busy, I want to be kept engaged.

I am not a fan of quest lines, grinding enemies, and the stuff typical MMORPGs offer. That is awesome for most people, and it is great they get games like that, but I want a game, too. Camelot Unchained promises to be that, and though right now it is but a dream, better a dream than nothing at all.

So, that is why I am excited.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Actually I am not trolling I am asking a legit question.  There is no reason for the hype and makes me understand why companies make such horrible games at this point in time if it's that easy to sell to the consumer.  Not saying it will flop or suck just to give it this much hype at this time is ridiculous imo.

Is there ever a good reason for hype?

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Please explain why this game which still doesn't have the full funds for development is the most hyped game on this website figuring the fact Mark Jacobs last game bomb hard?  Is there something I missed? I don't understand why people hype these games up so damn much.......

I've asked myself the same question but left it out from this site, and people thought GW2 was the second coming, this one is really taking the biscuit.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I just happen to have a keen interest in this game and want to know as much as I can.  And since all the information is spread out over multiple sites and contained in numerous videos.  I just find it easy to get my information from the entire community here who has the particular information from a site/article I have not seen.

Nanulak

Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Please explain why this game which still doesn't have the full funds for development is the most hyped game on this website figuring the fact Mark Jacobs last game bomb hard?  Is there something I missed? I don't understand why people hype these games up so damn much.......

I've asked myself the same question but left it out from this site, and people thought GW2 was the second coming, this one is really taking the biscuit.

Yea it seems to be that way already.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

To some GW2 is the second coming, which makes both your arguments invalid. You're trying to debate opinions and taste, it's an impossible and often repeated stupid thing to do.

You asked a question, had more than adequate answers to said question but don't seem able to either accept or grasp them. So instead you're now spamming in your own thread repeating your opinion you made clear in OP... if you're not trying to troll I will point out you're starting to do it unintentionally and quite badly.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Guys, just because a game's hyped, doesn't mean it's doomed... If it seems that way, it's becuz the vast majority of mmo's, whether they're hyped or not... fail. That's just the reality, but just because a game is hyped, doesn't mean it's doomed to failure. lol Though it doesn't mean it will succeed either. Just means people are excited to see what it's about.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Yea, the GW2 hype was out of control. Most hype on this site is though. People actually start to lose their ability to reason. They are blinded by this fanatical devotion for a game that they have never played. It's strange.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

pfft, it's been sayd 1000's of times to not get into the hype of new games......and what do people do? they get hyped....well, i hope they are ready for some raging and whining when this game goes live.

Yeah you can mark this post and come back when the game hits the shelves :p

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by oubers

pfft, it's been sayd 1000's of times to not get into the hype of new games......and what do people do? they get hyped....well, i hope they are ready for some raging and whining when this game goes live.

Yeah you can mark this post and come back when the game hits the shelves :p

Yeah - Hyping is fun and all but it just sucks when it leads to unrealistic expectations.  That usually happens when a company hypes a game for a long time before its release.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    People really didn't care how balanced MMO pvp was back in the DAoC days. Now they do and it spells doom for any game attempting to do PvE and PvP with the same balance structure and design priorities. It only works in WoW because pvp is mostly accepted as a gimmick in favor of the mostly PvE centered game.
    Originally posted by GreenHell

Yea, the GW2 hype was out of control. Most hype on this site is though. People actually start to lose their ability to reason. They are blinded by this fanatical devotion for a game that they have never played. It's strange.

Sigh yeah it's the people who are anticipating this game that have lost their ability to reason, this thread sure does prove that.... facepalm. Getting hyped for CU is the equivalent of getting hyped for a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's not fanatical devotion, it's an informed, well grounded in reality opinion based on announcements made re the new project and experiences had in past projects.

Just because you don't have the same opinion or haven't had the same experiences though just go ahead and asssume those differing from you are fanatical.... such a great way to create a healthy discussion board. Next time you go and make ridiculous statements based on nothing but a differing opinion take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure the stupidity you're spewing isn't self loathing redirected.

To some GW2 is the second coming, which makes both your arguments invalid. You're trying to debate opinions and taste, it's an impossible and often repeated stupid thing to do.

You asked a question, had more than adequate answers to said question but don't seem able to either accept or grasp them. So instead you're now spamming in your own thread repeating your opinion you made clear in OP... if you're not trying to troll I will point out you're starting to do it unintentionally and quite badly.

All I clearly said was there is no information to account for the rating being the highest rating on this site as of this time.  All Mark said is I want a RVR game that doesn't hold people hands with good crafting automatic makes this the most hyped bad doesn't sound right to me by anymeans.  If that sounds good to put it over games which will have a higher budget and PVP as well then like I said before no wonder why this genre has been so bad the past few years.

Originally posted by Qallidexz

Guys, just because a game's hyped, doesn't mean it's doomed... If it seems that way, it's becuz the vast majority of mmo's, whether they're hyped or not... fail. That's just the reality, but just because a game is hyped, doesn't mean it's doomed to failure. lol Though it doesn't mean it will succeed either. Just means people are excited to see what it's about.

Nobody said this game was doomed or talking bad about it just the logic for the hype meter doesn't add up there isn't even a screenshot nor do you know the classes or races into the game yet.....

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

All I clearly said was there is no information to account for the rating being the highest rating on this site as of this time.  All Mark said is I want a RVR game that doesn't hold people hands with good crafting automatic makes this the most hyped bad doesn't sound right to me by anymeans.  If that sounds good to put it over games which will have a higher budget and PVP as well then like I said before no wonder why this genre has been so bad the past few years.

There is gonna be normal combat with interrupts and CC, reactional styles, not midnless zergining like in GW 2 / WAR etc. The combat that thing is gonna make this game legendary. I hate all new games, they are so easy and so damn boring that I cannot stand them. CU has the chance to be different. 

I clearly stated why what you posted above is untrue and uninformed. If you're not going to bother reading my thread and continue spewing your tired narrative I will return the favour.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by GreenHell

Sigh yeah it's the people who are anticipating this game that have lost their ability to reason, this thread sure does prove that.... facepalm. Getting hyped for CU is the equivalent of getting hyped for a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's not fanatical devotion, it's an informed, well grounded in reality opinion based on announcements made re the new project and experiences had in past projects.

Just because you don't have the same opinion or haven't had the same experiences though just go ahead and asssume those differing from you are fanatical.... such a great way to create a healthy discussion board. Next time you go and make ridiculous statements based on nothing but a differing opinion take a long hard look in the mirror and make sure the stupidity you're spewing isn't self loathing redirected.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

It's because the concept for this game is something a lot of us have been wanting for many years, and now a developer we trust in this arena, having had a huge hand in creating arguably the best RvR experience we have ever had, is trying to breathe life into this concept.

It's because it is such a radical divergence from existing themepark, candy-coated, hand-holding joyrides that dominates the genre that it boggles the mind. We are just getting BORED of that, and this game has a CHANCE... just a small freaking speck of an angel's whisper of a baby's breath of a freaking CHANCE of giving us the sandbox RvR we have been waiting for ever since DAoC taught us how amazing RvR could be.

And we are daring to hope this because we know it CAN be delivered, and that a talented team is on it, and that the man behind it has had great success in this realm, is experienced, and has made the mistakes neccessary to know what NOT to do. There is no motive for any mysterious "oh look what he did with WAR he is just trying to dupe you guys lol" eventuality.

We are theorycrafting. We are speculating. We are excited, because for the first time in a long time, someone is taking a chance on something truly NEW, and something we want to play. We might be a minority, and we are fine with that. We might be getting prematurely excited, and we really don't care. We are having fun by having hope, and discussing not only the potential for this game, but also discussing a lot of mmorpg concepts that the very idea of this game engenders by virtue of it's vision.

No one is here saying that this is the second coming. We are just pumped. Because, let's face it, we love gaming and we want a game that loves us. Why should it bother anyone that we are excited about this? If YOU aren't, then farewell and good travels.

Sheesh. If you think a bunch of nerds anticipating a pre-development mmorpg is annoying, imagine how annoying it is to have people who could care less harrassing you because of it.

Originally posted by PerfArt

It's because the concept for this game is something a lot of us have been wanting for many years, and now a developer we trust in this arena, having had a huge hand in creating arguably the best RvR experience we have ever had, is trying to breathe life into this concept.

It's because it is such a radical divergence from existing themepark, candy-coated, hand-holding joyrides that dominates the genre that it boggles the mind. We are just getting BORED of that, and this game has a CHANCE... just a small freaking speck of an angel's whisper of a baby's breath of a freaking CHANCE of giving us the sandbox RvR we have been waiting for ever since DAoC taught us how amazing RvR could be.

And we are daring to hope this because we know it CAN be delivered, and that a talented team is on it, and that the man behind it has had great success in this realm, is experienced, and has made the mistakes neccessary to know what NOT to do. There is no motive for any mysterious "oh look what he did with WAR he is just trying to dupe you guys lol" eventuality.

We are theorycrafting. We are speculating. We are excited, because for the first time in a long time, someone is taking a chance on something truly NEW, and something we want to play. We might be a minority, and we are fine with that. We might be getting prematurely excited, and we really don't care. We are having fun by having hope, and discussing not only the potential for this game, but also discussing a lot of mmorpg concepts that the very idea of this game engenders by virtue of it's vision.

No one is here saying that this is the second coming. We are just pumped. Because, let's face it, we love gaming and we want a game that loves us. Why should it bother anyone that we are excited about this? If YOU aren't, then farewell and good travels.

Sheesh. If you think a bunch of nerds anticipating a pre-development mmorpg is annoying, imagine how annoying it is to have people who could care less harrassing you because of it.

PerfArt wins forum trophy +99

Another reason I'm anticipating this game more than anything... the community. PerfArt is a perfect example of the smart, fun people that the DAOC community used to be. It looks like a lot of old vets will be in CU on launch and that is a huge drawcard.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

If my english was any good, I would have wrote the same :-) No really spot on! This is the way I feel. Thats why I love kickstarter projects, especially such a promising game as CU. You can be a part of the development, start building the community and participate by creating a dream. This dosn't mean it must succeed, but hope is a strong motor. This time of the development can be as entertaining as actually play the game.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

It's because the concept for this game is something a lot of us have been wanting for many years, and now a developer we trust in this arena, having had a huge hand in creating arguably the best RvR experience we have ever had, is trying to breathe life into this concept.It's because it is such a radical divergence from existing themepark, candy-coated, hand-holding joyrides that dominates the genre that it boggles the mind. We are just getting BORED of that, and this game has a CHANCE... just a small freaking speck of an angel's whisper of a baby's breath of a freaking CHANCE of giving us the sandbox RvR we have been waiting for ever since DAoC taught us how amazing RvR could be.And we are daring to hope this because we know it CAN be delivered, and that a talented team is on it, and that the man behind it has had great success in this realm, is experienced, and has made the mistakes neccessary to know what NOT to do. There is no motive for any mysterious "oh look what he did with WAR he is just trying to dupe you guys lol" eventuality.We are theorycrafting. We are speculating. We are excited, because for the first time in a long time, someone is taking a chance on something truly NEW, and something we want to play. We might be a minority, and we are fine with that. We might be getting prematurely excited, and we really don't care. We are having fun by having hope, and discussing not only the potential for this game, but also discussing a lot of mmorpg concepts that the very idea of this game engenders by virtue of it's vision.No one is here saying that this is the second coming. We are just pumped. Because, let's face it, we love gaming and we want a game that loves us. Why should it bother anyone that we are excited about this? If YOU aren't, then farewell and good travels.Sheesh. If you think a bunch of nerds anticipating a pre-development mmorpg is annoying, imagine how annoying it is to have people who could care less harrassing you because of it.

+1337 points to PerfArt! Well said!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by DMKano

The hope for CU is so high that I honestly think it is impossible to deliver a game that would meet expectations by any studio with any budget.

I mean if God came to earth and coded CU, at this point the folks would still be disappointed by the end result.

I'd hate to be in MJ shoes about now.

The expecations for CU have to get back down to reality.

All MJ has to do is copy DAoC RvR/housing and improve it a little bit (and implement a good crafting system). It can be done!

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Excellent post; I daresay I could not have written it better myself!

I love debating MMORPGs and their ideas, but I do not understand the mentality of those simply wishing to denounce the game and its fans. It does not bring anything useful to the forum.

This discussion has been closed.