Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Fallen Earth: Visiting the Wasteland

2»

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Insane_corn
    Originally posted by shalissar
    Originally posted by mymmo
    great game with a good community. To bad that the devs never really fixed the latency issues and crazy spawn rate some areas had. Also its a shame that the devs once again listened to the vocal and loud pvp crowd that did get some parts what they wanted, but they did their usually thing lulzed and went to another game to complain and moan...

It's funny because PvPers in that game will tell you the exact opposite, and that the folks clamoring for better defined roles and group pve lead to the massive skill culling of 2010 (or so) in an effort to create some sort of stupid trinity. I personally don't know which side was responsible for that, but if I could just .. kind of... stick a sharpened spoon into their eye sockets... Anyways, I'm going to dive in and see what's new for myself!

As for the folks saying pvp was forced on them, I can't tell you how many missions I abandoned because they were group missions particularly after the "combat patch" when my solo build was no longer capable of soloing much outside forest rats. Alpha sector is damn near impossible now too. Tit for tat i guess!

1.4 - It came about to fix the 20 buff slot exploit and what not.

1.7.4 - Nerfed dodge to remove glancing blows and made it so dodge didn't decide a mobs miss/hit rate. Was to make pve a bit challenging and to change some aspects of pvp(as other changes had shown)...this same patch removed faction requirements from skills/capstones so faction were no longer 'role' focused as they seemed to be before this patch.

1.9 - F2P patch, this patch was for f2p and drastically simplified the game. Removed capstones, faction skills and was an attempt to reduce redundancy amongst lines. This did little but make some lines not worth using in any sort of proper build and put a number of other lines in niches. Still a patch many pvpers have disdain for. Alpha was added in this patch as the start of S4...haven't met too many people whom have a positive view of this area.

2.x - These patches added some interesting things and at the same time skewed and changed a number of things that people didn't want. Gore was added...an addition many dislike as it simplified the game even further and was a pvp/pve hybrid weapon...so pvpers weren't happy as they had to do pve and pvers weren't that happy as they had to do go to pvp zones(a number of people protested this addition to the game due to how imbalancing they were to pvp...pve hadn't changed or required these weapons due to how they were). Stage 3...their new armor and again was a pve/pvp hybrid, although considerably less on the pve side and much heavier on the pvp side than GORE was...this armor is mainly for pvpers at the end of the day. Next addition will be for pvpers as well. Patch 2.6 or so was the most recent combat change which made builds/pvp even more gimmicky, and added a very heavy fotm feel.

I'd add more but it wouldn't be positive. As many people whom played since launch...it had lots of potential and could of been much more, but many things combined to some good and a lot people don't like...people still play and enjoy the game but the 'i wish...' comes up a lot when playing.

At the end of the day it's a game worth trying out and experiencing for yourself, as although I have my own opinion and it isn't shared by many most likely and still is quite unique and fun.

Thanks for posting the changes to combat.  I quit counting after the nerft to mutations. How you could only have one at a time. Combat was good until 1.4 after they they kept going downhill.  1.4 was what sealed the game for me.  I came back after it went free to play,  I might have logged 15 hours since then total.  I still have a level 45 somewhere near deadfall, I just parked my combat motercycle and logged off.  The combat chaneges made the game not fun. 

I also noticed the the one fan website with all the good info, back story, build  and all that seams to have went away.

The game was a really good idea but just failed on so man levels.  Is Tigg's still part of the team?  

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Umm  Lee left on his own, he got a better offer and he knew they were doomed, Lee carried FE like his baby to Pax, E3 and everywhere, if anything he was the reason it had good qualitys, so I love to know were you got your info from, I really do...

Because your incorrect..

While we'll never really know if he left on his own or not, the fact that he most certainly did not leave for a "better offer" -- anything but -- points more to him having been shown the door.

Either way, he was, in the end, the reason they were doomed. As you say, it was his baby from beginning to end. His vision, a vision that ultimately failed, cost him his job, cost the company, and, had G1 not come along, would have cost the game, too.

You cannot reasonably give him credit for the good things about FE -- and there are more than a few things he does deserve credit for -- without acknowledging that he, as the man in charge, was ultimately also responsible for the many, many poor design decisions that were the ultimate downfall of the game.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

I really used to like this game. But then one day they severly nerfed it for non-subscribing members and I left.

• Insane_cornInsane_corn Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Myria

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Umm  Lee left on his own, he got a better offer and he knew they were doomed, Lee carried FE like his baby to Pax, E3 and everywhere, if anything he was the reason it had good qualitys, so I love to know were you got your info from, I really do...   Because your incorrect..

While we'll never really know if he left on his own or not, the fact that he most certainly did not leave for a "better offer" -- anything but -- points more to him having been shown the door.

Either way, he was, in the end, the reason they were doomed. As you say, it was his baby from beginning to end. His vision, a vision that ultimately failed, cost him his job, cost the company, and, had G1 not come along, would have cost the game, too.

You cannot reasonably give him credit for the good things about FE -- and there are more than a few things he does deserve credit for -- without acknowledging that he, as the man in charge, was ultimately also responsible for the many, many poor design decisions that were the ultimate downfall of the game.

Actually if anything Lee was the stronger force in the game. The current devs have neat ideas and all but a lot are what they THINK is good. Here's a wonderful example...they put in weapons that could 1 shot characters...bad enough that before people could easily 2 shot if you didn't stack health due to 1.9(nevermind 1.9 did the exact opposite of what they intended it to do). 3 nerfs later and they are still the strongest weapons ingame by far.

The bad thing that Lee might of done for the game was make respecs not available(they still haven't added a decently easy respec ingame without paying) in an attempt to get it as hardcore...that was a worse idea than anything else and prob the biggest downfall of FE. And yes Lee seemed to move on to greener pastures.

At the rper above...FE does have cosmetic slots for clothing, not weapons though. And you can dye clothing too(not all gear though).
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Played this game off and on for years. One of my all time favorites. My only wish was open world player housing. Thanks for a great game Icarus. :)

I reeeally wanted to try it out myself, but it seems it will just not cooperate with my computer.  Someone suggested re-installing it.  Maybe that would work.  Otherwise, the game crashes right when I'm finished with the tutorial and about to go into combat.  Could be Windows 8 too, but I've read lots of people having problems on other OS's.