Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Um lol what? this isnt a MMO...

IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
And its not New wtf is going on?

Comments

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    I've seen minecraft servers with over 500 people. That makes it MMO in my book. Certainly more MMO than Diablo 3.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Originally posted by zimike
    I've seen mindcraft servers with over 500 people. That makes it MMO in my book. Certainly more MMO than Diablo 3.

Lol Very very true. touche my friend!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yup servers can hold qutie a few players and they are persistant, and have rpg mods that basically make them a full blown mmorpg.. deserves to be here a lot more than some of the other games.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I said this game should be on here last year.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Ikisis
    Originally posted by zimike
    I've seen mindcraft servers with over 500 people. That makes it MMO in my book. Certainly more MMO than Diablo 3.

Lol Very very true. touche my friend!

Welcome to the NEW defenition of MMO.

im still pondering about why not evry game with online action is on here yet. it seems to comply with the new defenition anyway.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh... hard to say. Minecraft servers (As mentioned) do tend to have more players and connectivity then games like Diablo 3 and can have quite large communities. I'd say considering the loose definition of MMo, it can more then match up as an MMo. Heck, it even can match up depending on the server in plenty of different catagories from being sandbox (standerd style gameplay or even with mods) to being fantasy/adventurer (few servers like that) over-all its quite an interesting beast.

Considering how loose the term "MMO" is (which I honestly feel its fine with judging it that way) I have no problem with Minecraft being considered one. Its a great game and you can find some very popular servers out there with hundreds of players online all at once.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Most of the games on this site aren't MMO's nowadays.

They stopped caring long ago. :P Surprised this wasn't on hte listings sooner.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• franko545000franko545000 Member Posts: 4

i feel like they are really "reaching" on this one for a title of mmo.....

if you put minecraft on here why not put games like starcraft on the site as well, a ton of people can play that game on the same server and they have custom games that hold a lot of people as well.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Starcraft can only do 8 players per map, a map which is destoryed at the end of the game.  Quake shooter maps are not an MMO. Persistant worlds are what makes an MMO.  I've played on a Minecraft sever for about a year now, 6 or 7 ppl at the most are on. 
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    To be fair, what makes and MMO is ...... get ready for it..... MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE!! Whcih by my definition is a shit ton of people, and not necessarily a persistant world. However, one might argue that the persistant world is required for the RPG aspect of it.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Minecraft is a helluva lot more MMO than 90% of the lobby crap that's on this site. Just because you've never played Minecraft on a 500 player RPG server doesn't mean it's not capable of that.

• StarkStark Member Posts: 119
    Just another MMORPG Failure. Remember Hellgate London? Not an MMORPG. Minecraft is not an MMORPG. This decision will not bring new people to this website and just ticks the points away from this sites credibility.
  • Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    Join a server and play with people...its an MMO. you guys need to chill.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    Originally posted by Beoelf21
    Join a server and play with people...its an MMO. you guys need to chill.

And you need to get a clue.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• DraythDrayth Member UncommonPosts: 10

There's a difference between MO and MMO...an 8 to 24 player server is a Multiplayer game, not a Massively Multiplayer Online game; Minecraft, while among my favorite games that I still currently play, does NOT belong on this site in any manner unless someone's started up a massive, no-grief, no-dupes, policies-enforced server that can handle hundreds if not thousands of players.

Srsly mmorpg.com, srsly?

Originally posted by Drayth

There's a difference between MO and MMO...an 8 to 24 player server is a Multiplayer game, not a Massively Multiplayer Online game; Minecraft, while among my favorite games that I still currently play, does NOT belong on this site in any manner unless someone's started up a massive, no-grief, no-dupes, policies-enforced server that can handle hundreds if not thousands of players.

Srsly mmorpg.com, srsly?

... Theres servers with 200+ people on it on minecraft though, and plenty of MMos listed that only have (D3 as an easy example) 4 people in a game at a time.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    The word MMO means anything and nothing these days.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Magiknight
    The word MMO means anything and nothing these days.

Oh, good grief. Minecraft isn't an MMO, dur. It is, however, of interest to many people who play MMOs, so it's on this website.

Now they just need to add a "Feed The Beast" section under the Minecraft subforum.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Any multiplayer game I think that is somewhat popular is a candidate for this site these days.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

This is the kind of shit that drives me nuts. Minecraft is NOT an MMO. It's also not new, like the OP said. This site is really pandering to the corporate masses lately isn't it? I guess I shouldn't be surprised really but I'm definitely angry. Just because one popular server might have an estimated 500 players (and likely not all on at the same time) does not make it an MMOG. In fact, it doesn't really fit the term in any way. Massive to me should be over 5000 players, though I realise some emulated MMO servers boast 800+ players as being quite good.

Minecraft wasn't designed as a MMOG. It isn't one. Get a grip people.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    WoW first MMO
    Originally posted by Mystik86

This is the kind of shit that drives me nuts. Minecraft is NOT an MMO. It's also not new, like the OP said. This site is really pandering to the corporate masses lately isn't it? I guess I shouldn't be surprised really but I'm definitely angry. Just because one popular server might have an estimated 500 players (and likely not all on at the same time) does not make it an MMOG. In fact, it doesn't really fit the term in any way. Massive to me should be over 5000 players, though I realise some emulated MMO servers boast 800+ players as being quite good.

Minecraft wasn't designed as a MMOG. It isn't one. Get a grip people.

Well does 5,000 mean on a single server? Cause chances are you can remove a good majority of the games on the list off it since a good majority likely don't even have 5,000 people on a single server. The problem is people don't know how to define an MMO. Games all have their own limits and restrictions.

TO me, considering how many people on Minecraft DO play online, I see it being more of an MMo then a lot of other ones out there. Its not a giant single 'server' but really can you call games like say DDO an MMo when its heavily based on instances or channels? 

Its hard to really put a magic number on it or a defining factor that makes it 'count' as an MMO and due to those big population servers of 200+ (which there are a few) you really can't discredit it so easily. Perhaps when theres a more concrete definition for an MMO out there we can dispell considering minecraft an MMo, though its going to take out plenty of games that we all perhaps consider MMos as well should it not be very specific if its just some static 'number'.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    There are currently 6 Minecraft threads in most current discussions.......
    Kenny39
  • ConorRosalesConorRosales Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited April 2023
    Hey there. Time to bring this thread back to life. I understand that there may be some confusion about whether Minecraft is considered an MMO. While it may not fit the traditional definition of a massively multiplayer online game, it does offer a multiplayer experience where you can play with friends and explore a vast world together. Additionally, there are a lot of cool mods, like the mowzies mobs mod, available that can enhance the gameplay experience with new creatures and features. I'm new to this forum as well and excited to discuss all things Minecraft with you.
    Post edited by ConorRosales on
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Welcome to 10 years ago. The first reply pretty much sums it up.

My new obsession with Minecraft is watching youtube time lapse builds:

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/