One of the things I most loved about DAOC was RvR character progression. This was done by giving realm points for kills. If you earned enough realm points, you advanced to the next realm level and realm rank and earned realm skill points. You could then use the realm skill points to purchase abilities that made your character more powerful. These included stat bonuses (increased dexterity, strength, etc.) and also active abilities such as Purge (removed all harmful effects including CC), Bunker of Faith (grants your group increased melee damage absorption for a time), Thornweed Field (creates a field with a large radius that pulses damage and snare for a time), and many more.
Such progression was missing in GW 2 at release and was a major thing many players were disappointed in and asked Arenanet to add. So now they finally have. But look at what the abilities they are offering are.
Those are all extremely lame and exclusively oriented at sieging. If you meet a high ranked player in the open field on your low ranked toon, these abilities would make no difference at all to your fight.
GW 2 fails in any number of other ways too:
- You don't see enemy players names making it impossible to gain an individual reputation in WvW or learn to respect, fear, or hate particular enemies.
- The 3 servers that are matched up change frequently. If you are losing a matchup, you can just sit out and wait for the next reset and hope you get a more favorable matchup.
- There is no real point to winning a matchup anyway other than bragging rights.
- There are a wide variety of bonuses for winning during a matchup but they make no noticeable impact on gameplay and don't motivate anybody.
- WvW is split into a number of zones and each zone has a fairly low hard cap of players per side relative to the number of players on a server. This means waiting in long queues on the most populated servers.
- Also the zones aren't seamless. You have to go through a portal to get to the next zone and possibly wait in a queue again.
- Flipping undefended keeps is rewarding.
- Every player who tags another player gets equal rewards encouraging mindless AE spamming.
- There is no direct healing. Everybody gets a self heal. Healing spells are mostly ground targetted.
- Most of the zerg runs around ungrouped because of the previous 2 points. Why group when you get the same rewards ungrouped spamming AE spells and nobody can heal you anyway?
- The graphics engine has some major flaws particularly culling which leads to enemy players randomly becoming invisible. This supposedly was fixed in a patch this week.
Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer