Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What are the later zones like?

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

My favourite landscapes in a MMO is a large open area, be it grassy or desert-like. In WoW I loved Westfall, Barrens and Arathi Highlands. 

Are there any similar zones in GW2 or are all of them pretty crowded?

Comments

• VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member

Try Southsun Cove and Lornar's Pass.

But most zones are stuffed with hearts, events, and other stuff.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

some good shots in this thread.. almost all these zones are pretty open..   only one i can think of off the top of my head that can feel a teeny confined is Lornars Pass because of the mountain paths.. most all zones have a lot in them and rarely much "unused space"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378546/Its-a-Beautiful-World-Part-2.html

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

some good shots in this thread.. almost all these zones are pretty open..   only one i can think of off the top of my head that can feel a teeny confined is Lornars Pass because of the mountain paths.. most all zones have a lot in them and rarely much "unused space"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378546/Its-a-Beautiful-World-Part-2.html

Very nice screenshots there, thanks!

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon

Mostly just the same zones you seen at the start with different layouts. Very few 'changes' really, I honeslty can't even tell you anything rememberable about any zones outside maybe a few structures I recall but they all sadly don't capitalize on its cartoony artstyle to create any real stunning landscapes to seperate zones from one another.

Orr is about the only real change you get which is basically an underwater area but put above water. Its interesting though the two areas aren't all that different but they do at least give them a feeling of being more 'unique' from one another.

Or will be where considering your post you probably will like it the most., particularly the first area.

• MaephistoMaephisto somewhere, DCPosts: 632Member

Much of the central andeastern zones are similar to what you described.  Much of Ascalon and Shiverpeaks are open areas.  Though I guess what one would call "open terrain" may be a bit subjective.

Some of my favorite zones are pretty open areas.  Fields of Ruin, Blazeridge and Fields of Ruin are some of my favorites.  Ohh and Harathi Hinterlands.  Harathi may not be "open", but there are so many events and a high concentration of mobs in certain areas.  You can gain exp and farm mid level mats quickly here.

If you would like to see a detailed map, I suggest checking out this site http://gw2cartographers.com/

• tintilinictintilinic aPosts: 283Member
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Mostly just the same zones you seen at the start with different layouts. Very few 'changes' really, I honeslty can't even tell you anything rememberable about any zones outside maybe a few structures I recall but they all sadly don't capitalize on its cartoony artstyle to create any real stunning landscapes to seperate zones from one another.

Orr is about the only real change you get which is basically an underwater area but put above water. Its interesting though the two areas aren't all that different but they do at least give them a feeling of being more 'unique' from one another.

Or will be where considering your post you probably will like it the most., particularly the first area.

Really? Same zone with different layout?

By that smart comparion all zones in all MMOs are the same - same zones just with different layouts lol

Oh dont forget to also memntion: all desert zones in all MMOs are absolutely the same as they contain sand

all  "snow" zones in all MMOs are same zones....you know, snow

Each zone is pretty unique in GW2, and, just to mention, no 2 caves are alike, which seems like a big deal compared to other MMOs :) did you play it at all lol you might refresh your memory

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

Don't listen to people who say the zones are all the same, because they're not.  Especially coming from people who don't even like the game, yet continue to post in GW2 forums.

But yeah, if you're looking for the type of area you described, you should check out Ascalon.  There aren't quite as many stretches of absolutely nothing as there were in Westfall or the Barrens (hated that zone tbh) but it's got a similar feel... just more trees.

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

My favourite landscapes in a MMO is a large open area, be it grassy or desert-like. In WoW I loved Westfall, Barrens and Arathi Highlands. 

Are there any similar zones in GW2 or are all of them pretty crowded?

There's a pretty good variety of zones tbh in this game. If you want more open areas, I'd suggest the norn areas (Wayfarer Foothills / Snowden Drifts, etc.). You will also probably really enjoy the areas around the Black Citadel (Charr territory).

Check out http://gw2cartographers.com/ to get a feel for where you're going, what's there. But basically, the more open maps (imo) are the following:

Kessex Hills - Grasslands / partial forests

Harathi Hinterlands - Wartorn grasslands (centaur country)

Wayfarer Foothills - Mix of northern forests / tundra

Snowden Drifts - snow

Frostgorge Sound - frozen / snow

Plains of Ashford - wartorn plains + city ruins

Diessa Plateau - plains / some sludge/ corrupted areas

Fields of Ruin - plains (this zone is actually kind of awesome, and it's one of the most overlooked zones in the game)

Blazeridge Stepps - plains with a giant valley of corruption slicing through it

Iron Marches - rocky / plains + corruption

*** Not all of these zones are the largest the game has, but to me they are the least claustraphobic. A lot of zones either have cliffs / caverns, or are just packed with mobs (like orr), so while they are definitely larger areas, at times they may not feel that way.

- Unfortunately this game stops just short of where the major desert regions would be lore-wise (going off of the first game). However, the last 5 zones I listed definitely have some desert-like qualities in parts.

• FionFion Montour Falls, NYPosts: 2,351Member

As Aesperus said, Fields of Ruin is often-overlooked. It's kind of out of the way, in the lower right corner of the game world but it's one of the few zones way out there that has an Asura Gate (a portal) directly to Lion's Arch. It's my favorite zone in the game because of the beauty and plethora of lore to be found in Ebon Hawk, the meta-event is a lot of fun in big groups and there's always something going on and cool places to explore. Even though when I did it (very early on) half of the content was broken, I still loved the heck out of every moment I spent there.

As to deserts, there are few indeed. If perhaps we revisit Elona during an expansion (though I'd personally like to see Cantha first) we'll get plenty of that lol.