Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is clear Kickstarter will save gaming forever

RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Thats right gaming has died the last 7 years or more.

Everything that comes out has lost the magic the old school games had.

Now with the kickstarter more oldschool games are coming on the surface.

Wasteland 2,Torment etc.

I m very happy because im an oldschool player and i liked that big magic those games had.

Hope we see sometime a Dungeon keeper and other great games as well.

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Only problem is none of those game you mention have made it to release. Rather hard to judge the worth of a game thats still in developement just because it has the name from one of the old school games. take Torment the new one that just recently got kickstarted it has absolutely nothing to do or in common with the old one. (Different world, different characters, the old one had magic the new ones sci-fi) the new torment is just a money grab thats just slapping the name of a old game, on a new and totally different product.  

Don't get me wrong I've supported a few kickstarters and think its great some developers are getting away from the big companies ruled by the suites, but while kickstarter has alot of potential for good it can also be abused, and will no doubt see its fair share of failures (both in games released and in games that never get released.)

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by RelGn

Hope we see sometime a Dungeon keeper and other great games as well.

Theres already  Dungeon Keeper its only a diffrent name :)

Coming out this year https://wftogame.com/ Molyneux gave them his blessing aswell :)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

It all depends on the ratio of shit to successes.  

If anything there is now a bigger focus on the indie game scene than before (its always been around producing 'old school' style games) so if kickstarter goes away it will still be a net positive affect on the indie game industry.

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70
    The thread title hinted at sarcasm, sadly I found none.  Kickstarter and its ilk stand as much chance of "saving" games as EA does of destroying them.  But really, I'm pleased you're enjoying your fad.  Personally I browse through the hordes of terrible and mediocre projects on offer and wonder who the hell pays for it.  If spawning two games you like is saving the industry, you're incredibly self-centred.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The problem with Kickstarter funded games is that there will be scams, and there will be disasters.

On the other hand, I've pretty much given up on corporate developed games* having any sort of depth.

For me, hope for the best but don't pay a penny unless I can see a solid review.

* specifically MMORPGs

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

Gaming doesn't need saving. There are a TON of great games which have come out in the last 7 years, many fairly recently. Shall I list a few (or many)?

1. Bioshock 1 & 2
    2. Bioshock Infinite
    3. Dishonored
    4. Serious Sam 1 - 3
    5. Awesomenauts
    6. The Bard's Tale
    7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    8. Legend of Grimrock
    9. Half-Life 2 (2004 but I have to mention it)
    10. Darksiders 1 & 2
    11. Max Payne 3
    12. Path of Exile
    13. Diablo 3
    14. Several Tomb Raider games, including the excellent reboot
    15. Minecraft
    16. Terraria
    17. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War series
    18. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
    19. Saint's Row series
    20. Red Dead Redemption
    21. Retro City Rampage
    22. Hotline Miami
    23. Civilization series continuation
    24. A couple Elder Scrolls games (though not a fan of Oblivion)
    25. Fallout 3 & New Vegas (not to my personal taste, in fact quite the opposite. But many love them, so I will list them)
    26. Gears of War 1-4
    27. Dungeons of Dredmor
    28. Metro 2033
    29. Dead Space 1 - 3
    30. Orcs Must Die! 1 & 2
    31. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    32. Borderlands 1 & 2
    33. The Walking Dead
    34. Back to the Future
    35. Several Sam & Max games
    36. Torchlight 1 (2 was soul-crushingly disappointing)
    37. Galactic Civilizations 2
    38. Portal 1 & 2
    39. The Darkness 2
    40. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Shall I continue? Those were pulled off the top of my head in about 10 minutes. I can probably name off about 40 more excellent games which have come out since 2006 or so (to fit within the given time period).

Many of the games listed are from indie companies... many are also produced by big budget gaming studios. Gaming, insofar as non-MMOs go, is in great shape and quite honestly doesn't need 'saving' by Kickstarter or any other person / entity.

This doesn't mean I don't support Kickstarter projects or old school style games though! Hell, I've given more than I'm willing to admit to support Wasteland 2 (hooray for a proper Fallout style game), War for the Overworld, RG's new project, and the game in my signature. If I had more money there are also several others I'd be backing.

But my point stands. Gaming is fine. If you can't find at least 10 titles you feel are good or even great out of a list of 40+ games, then quite honestly maybe it's time for you to find another hobby.

Disclaimer: This list is based on my personal feelings. If a game wasn't included, or if I included a game you think sucks, it's nothing personal and I mean no offense. I'd really like to avoid arguments of, "OMG you did / didn't include this or that game! Your opinion is invalid!", because generally nothing good ever comes of those types of arguments. Plus, I only stopped at 40 because of space concerns. I could easily open my Steam library or Xbox games drawer and keep going.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    How many of the kickstarter games have actually released?
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Until proven otherwise to me a kickstarter game is no different than an indie game and we all have seen how indie games have faired.

I hope I am wrong.