Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I be able to solo?

2»

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Why? If I can do the same scaled content as a group, shouldn't I be rewarded the same or perhaps even greater since I did it alone? Just an idea.

I do understand where you are coming from, but it would be a unique concept that others may like. 

I'm not sure why we have to choose the role in an rpg as a group of players and be rewarded for working together. Why can't I choose a role as a single player who is one in the community? :) 

There is a lot to do in an mmorpg that you just can't do in a single player rpg, and as someone else said, you get way more hours of gameplay.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the OPs question and I am glad he asked it. It has helped me in deciding if this game is one I would like. 

Do it without scale, the content for group .. do it solo and then you deserve greater or same reward as the group... If you want the same content but scaled for one man, then no, you dont deserve it.

You can pick a role as single player but then you have to face one man vs whole dungeon, raid boss etc. which are too powerful for you, for one man.. Good luck .. getting two shooted

Same goes in real life, if you wanted to be one man vs whole vietnam, germany (or whatever) .. you could do that, but dont expect to win a war alone, prepare to be headshoted :D

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    FFXIV Reborn is a themepark MMO. So soloing to max level is guraranteed.

Keep in mind that this game is oriented towards being able to do everything on one character and quests aren't repeatable, so people will have to do things other than questing to progress their other classes, unless they plan to make a new character for every class.

So they completely scraped the leves out of the game? no more repetable quests at all?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by mastersam21

I have a wife and 2 kids with a 3rd on the way so i can relate to the OP. From what I understand FFXIV is  also diving into the whole dynamic content through it's FATE system so it looks like soloing wont be a problem, with that said I also have a bit of a problem with people who want to solo in a MMORPG which by nature is suppose to be social. My problem is when these people expect to do everything solo while feeling they should recieve all the benefits of group rewards/experience.

Why? If I can do the same scaled content as a group, shouldn't I be rewarded the same or perhaps even greater since I did it alone? Just an idea.

I do understand where you are coming from, but it would be a unique concept that others may like. 

I'm not sure why we have to choose the role in an rpg as a group of players and be rewarded for working together. Why can't I choose a role as a single player who is one in the community? :) 

There is a lot to do in an mmorpg that you just can't do in a single player rpg, and as someone else said, you get way more hours of gameplay.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the OPs question and I am glad he asked it. It has helped me in deciding if this game is one I would like. 

If the developers can scale such encounters to solo without taking anything out Im all for it, but lets be realitic its highly unlikely as initial designs is likely to have certain criteria that has to be met. Another thing is that working within the content is one thing what about working within the design? One part of it is the social design which I feel MMORPG was built upon. Taking the time to reach out to get people on your friend list, guilds, alliance, ect to orangize events is playing the game on another level itself. I like options too, but I understand why devs put certain limitations in place so everyone has to work within their design for those bigger rewards/experience.

• Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

So they completely scraped the leves out of the game? no more repetable quests at all?

No, leves and other repeatables are still in. He probably meant most of the 'regular' quests and story quests which will likely account for the bulk of the XP you can gain.

Originally posted by mastersam21

If the developers can scale such encounters to solo without taking anything out Im all for it, but lets be realitic its highly unlikely as initial designs is likely to have certain criteria that has to be met. Another thing is that working within the content is one thing what about working within the design? One part of it is the social design which I feel MMORPG was built upon. Taking the time to reach out to get people on your friend list, guilds, alliance, ect to orangize events is playing the game on another level itself. I like options too, but I understand why devs put certain limitations in place so everyone has to work within their design for those bigger rewards/experience.

TERA did something like that since the combat was in a big part about mechanical timing and skill. You could solo alot of big bosses and some dungeons with ALOT of patience and difficulty. But to solo it would take much, much longer than with a group so it got really boring fast and most people just grouped up for it anyway and did it in 1/10th of the time.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

FFXIV: ARR will be easy at first, enough so that a person new to MMOs will be able to pick up and play with ease. However, as you get higher in level, towards the cap, you will find a lot of the content will be mroe party focused and offer mroe challenge. 

You can still solo to max level, of course. :) I am excited for this game! Please look forward to it!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Soloing a MMO is like Soloing Facebook. Social games mean just that if you don't like to be social GTFO.
  • redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Soloing a MMO is like Soloing Facebook. Social games mean just that if you don't like to be social GTFO.

Some people prefer to rely on their own strentghs, instead of relying on the strengths of others or waiting on others who hold them back. 

It does not mean they solo 100% of the time, or dislike socializing. But waiting around in towns, yeling for groups for hours is a waste of time when you could be doing productive things. Being in raids where others are late, or ninja-loot, or do not know how to play properly, or do not know how to follow directions are all aggravating. Sometimes we need to be on our own, doing our own thing. 

This world is full of people, do you constantly have to be with someone 24/7? No, sometimes you need alone time. MMOs are about choice, and playing how you want. Who are you to question how they choose to play their game?

Get it together before you want to read. 

In regards to Final Fantasy XIV, the game at the beginning is going to be easy, so that someone who has never played an MMO can easily get into the game. Then, as the game progresses and the player levels up and nears end-game, partying becomes more prevalent and needed. 

Yoshi has stated this in LIVE letters I believe. You will not need to party at low levels, but dungeons will help ease the player into party roles. The duty finder is supposed to help with that. Then, end game is meant to be done with people you have met, friends you have made, and your Linkshells and your Free Companies (guild) that you have met in-game. 

No. It's not.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by redcloud16

Some people prefer to rely on their own strentghs, instead of relying on the strengths of others or waiting on others who hold them back. 

It does not mean they solo 100% of the time, or dislike socializing. But waiting around in towns, yeling for groups for hours is a waste of time when you could be doing productive things. Being in raids where others are late, or ninja-loot, or do not know how to play properly, or do not know how to follow directions are all aggravating. Sometimes we need to be on our own, doing our own thing. 

This world is full of people, do you constantly have to be with someone 24/7? No, sometimes you need alone time. MMOs are about choice, and playing how you want. Who are you to question how they choose to play their game?

FFXI was a great example of this.  When you were leveling a job that wasn't the most desirable, you pretty much had to sit around in town looking for a group for hours on end.  Going out and doing other things wasn't really feasible since travel was pretty limited (based all of this on the early life of this game) and it wasn't like you could just go out and solo things.

SE realized this later on and actually made it to where it was easier to solo and even groups were made less restrictive.  They took the chore out of the leveling up process.