Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Brief Explaination: Alpha and Beta Builds

Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member

There seems to be a major misunderstanding between the technical differences of ALPHA development, BETA development, and RELEASE.

ALPHA comes from the first letter of the Greek alphabet, which is also used as the number one (1).  During alpha testing, software companies usually are trying to locate and eliminate as many bugs as possible, while closing loopholes that cause soft and hard crashes, potential avenues for hacking, and various different stress tests via client and client : server relationship.

Typical Alpha builds include:

  • Core game mechanics
    • Depending on which spectrum of the alpha stage testing is occuring on, majority of the game may be playable or missing
  • "First Pass" quality checks on most features
  • Placeholder art is largely present
    • May include:  flat terrain, missing geometry (environmental models and character models), no animations or particle effects
  • Soft and Hard software crashes that may occur every five minutes, or not at all
  • Does not represent the quality of the product as seen in Beta or Release builds
Alpha Testers Tasks:
  • Follow explicit directions via developer task log
  • Locate unknown bugs and potential exploits
    • Failure to report bugs in order to use for personal benefit during release usually results in account bans
  • Intentionally attempt to break or confuse the system
    • Iincludes in-game software testing, as well as sometimes green light "hacking" per the developers
  • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
  • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
 
BETA comes from the second letter of the Greek alphabet, which is commonly coined to indicate a second stage of development.  During beta testing, software companies are attempting to refine the game, test mechanics and features added during late alpha builds, and stress test the software and server infastructure and hardware;  beta testers rigorously search for any bugs and exploits missed by previous build testers which could range from proofreading, reporting an exploit, see through walls, crashes, and much more.
 
Typical Beta builds include:
 
  • Core mechanics firmly implemented, additional testing required
  • Most features have minimal bugs present and within "Final Pass" quality check reach
  • All terrain terraformed, little to no missing environmental models, most animations and particle effects are in place
  • Soft and Hard software crashes are significantly reduced, or not present at all.
  • Late Beta builds typically closely resembles the released product
Beta Tester Tasks:
  • Casually play the game, locating any bugs or potential exploits missed by alpha testers
  • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
  • Stress testing the software, as well as the server infrastructure and hardware, in an attempt to break the entire system
  • Participate in large scale events that were not possible during alpha testing
  • Concentrate on mechanics and features added during late alpha build
  • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
 
During both ALPHA and BETA builds, testers and/or gamers can truly impact the development process in both positive and negative ways.  If an individual is there just to "see the game" it usually results in influencing the player's decision in purchasing or playing the game after release, as well as providing the company hosting the testing little to no yield on their return investment of allowing you into the development process.  
 
Both development periods are amazing experiences, but there seems to be a shroud of misunderstanding regarding the ease of allowing everyone into certain build periods.  Quickly by a glance, City State Entertainment will have to utilize a portion of the Kickstarter development fund (and Mark Jacobs personal injection) in order to provide the following:
 
  • Engineer a network  infastructure and police latency issues
  • Build server hardware, maintenance
  • Provide basic troubleshooting
  • Moderate backer forums
  • Public Relations on high alert
This all costs money, eats into accomplishing development milestones, and diverts attention from the entire development process.  That's also not including the bad apple that was dumb enough to "buy into" the alpha tier to "see the game" and goes on a character assassination spree because the software client consistently crashes due to failing to update his/her video card drivers.
 
Let's not jump the gun, guys.  If you don't agree with the Kickstarter Tiers that's one thing, but a lot of people have a complete misunderstanding of game development and the processes in which it includes.  Alpha is not meant as free game time, that's usually Beta.  Just kidding.  Simply backing the project shouldn't mean you feel entitled to be an Alpha or Beta tester.  Besides, Mark has already stated he would like to include everyone into massive stress test events, even if you're not an alpha or beta tier backer.   Obviously this could change due to a number of reasons, but allowing every single backer in as a tester is completely asinine.
 
My name is Plastic- Metal and I support this message.
 
EDITS:
 
Krullen has created a great thread entitled, "Beta test like a pro" in order for players to further understand what's truly required during testing.  Click here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5632223#5632223
 
Thanks to RealLifeGobbo for posting this image in a different thread, as it certainly applies to this one.
 
Starcraft 1:   Late Alpha/Early Beta to Final Game Reference
 

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

image

«1

Comments

  • gylnnegylnne South Hutchinson, KSPosts: 320Member
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

    There seems to be a major misunderstanding between the technical differences of ALPHA development, BETA development, and RELEASE.

    ALPHA comes from the first letter of the Greek alphabet, which is also used as the number one (1).  During alpha testing, software companies usually are trying to locate and eliminate as many bugs as possible, while closing loopholes that cause soft and hard crashes, potential avenues for hacking, and various different stress tests via client and client : server relationship.

    Typical Alpha builds include:

    • Core game mechanics
      • Depending on which spectrum of the alpha stage testing is occuring on, majority of the game may be playable or missing
    • "First Pass" quality checks on most features
    • Placeholder art is largely present
      • May include:  flat terrain, missing geometry (environmental models and character models), no animations or particle effects
    • Soft and Hard software crashes that may occur every five minutes, or not at all
    • Does not represent the quality of the product as seen in Beta or Release builds
    Alpha Testers Tasks:
    • Follow explicit directions via developer task log
    • Locate unknown bugs and potential exploits
      • Failure to report bugs in order to use for personal benefit during release usually results in account bans
    • Intentionally attempt to break or confuse the system
      • Iincludes in-game software testing, as well as sometimes green light "hacking" per the developers
    • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
    • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
     
    BETA comes from the second letter of the Greek alphabet, which is commonly coined to indicate a second stage of development.  During beta testing, software companies are attempting to refine the game, test mechanics and features added during late alpha builds, and stress test the software and server infastructure and hardware;  beta testers rigorously search for any bugs and exploits missed by previous build testers which could range from proofreading, reporting an exploit, see through walls, crashes, and much more.
     
    Typical Beta builds include:
     
    • Core mechanics firmly implemented, additional testing required
    • Most features have minimal bugs present and within "Final Pass" quality check reach
    • All terrain terraformed, little to no missing environmental models, most animations and particle effects are in place
    • Soft and Hard software crashes are significantly reduced, or not present at all.
    • Late Beta builds typically closely resembles the released product
    Beta Tester Tasks:
    • Casually play the game, locating any bugs or potential exploits missed by alpha testers
    • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
    • Stress testing the software, as well as the server infrastructure and hardware, in an attempt to break the entire system
    • Participate in large scale events that were not possible during alpha testing
    • Concentrate on mechanics and features added during late alpha build
    • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
     
    During both ALPHA and BETA builds, testers and/or gamers can truly impact the development process in both positive and negative ways.  If an individual is there just to "see the game" it usually results in influencing the player's decision in purchasing or playing the game after release, as well as providing the company hosting the testing little to no yield on their return investment of allowing you into the development process.  
     
    Both development periods are amazing experiences, but there seems to be a shroud of misunderstanding regarding the ease of allowing everyone into certain build periods.  Quickly by a glance, City State Entertainment will have to utilize a portion of the Kickstarter development fund (and Mark Jacobs personal injection) in order to provide the following:
     
    • Engineer a network  infastructure and police latency issues
    • Build server hardware, maintenance
    • Provide basic troubleshooting
    • Moderate backer forums
    • Public Relations on high alert
    This all costs money, eats into accomplishing development milestones, and diverts attention from the entire development process.  That's also not including the bad apple that was dumb enough to "buy into" the alpha tier to "see the game" and goes on a character assassination spree because the software client consistently crashes due to failing to update his/her video card drivers.
     
    Let's not jump the gun, guys.  If you don't agree with the Kickstarter Tiers that's one thing, but a lot of people have a complete misunderstanding of game development and the processes in which it includes.  Alpha is not meant as free game time, that's usually Beta.  Just kidding.  Simply backing the project shouldn't mean you feel entitled to be an Alpha or Beta tester.  Besides, Mark has already stated he would like to include everyone into massive stress test events, even if you're not an alpha or beta tier backer.   Obviously this could change due to a number of reasons, but allowing every single backer in as a tester is completely asinine.
     
    My name is Plastic- Metal and I support this message.

    Great post Plastic, thank you.

  • WazlukWazluk Killeen, TXPosts: 159Member
    thank you

    Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

    Far to many gamers think Alpha and Beta is free game time. In the last few years (since WOW made MMOs main stream) the beta forums of all the games I have tested have been shocking. Players demanding their toons dont get wiped for launch, players complaining about bugs and crashes, players complaining about client updates. It's insane.

    Beta testing is working for free. It's volunteering your time to make the end product as good as it can be. It's monotonous gamelpay in an effort to find issues ans report them.

    For Ex. I happen to enjoy creating characters, then going into the game with them to see how they compair to the created characters and see any issues with the process. I often spend hours creating hundreds of unique characters of all game races, loading them in game, observing how they look compared to the creation screen, running a few feet, killing a mob or two, then deleting them and starting over. I do this to get deeply into the creation system and find any issues. Why do I like it so much? Well, OCD, and the fact that char creation is the first impression, so it's very important to get it right.

  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Henderson, NVPosts: 322Member

    Thanks P-M.

    I'm no programmer but I do understand a little of the game design process... when I saw the alpha (and beta) access tiers, a red flag went up.  I wonder if this is such a great idea. 

    More probably, MJ and CSE will have smaller, "in-house" alpha and beta phases to refine the product.

    I don't need alpha or beta access... I need MJ and CSE to produce the kind of game we're all anticipating!

    Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

    RED IS DEAD!

  • ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member

    Nice generic explanation but it's never that clear cut.

    Some modern "alpha" access has simply been a watered down beta to get players to pre-order, similar to almost all "beta" access these days, it' s a marketing hook.

    don't be surprised if those who pay for "alpha" access don't get in until the alpha is pretty much ready for beta.

    Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

  • gylnnegylnne South Hutchinson, KSPosts: 320Member
    Originally posted by Zinzan

    Nice generic explanation but it's never that clear cut.

    Some modern "alpha" access has simply been a watered down beta to get players to pre-order, similar to almost all "beta" access these days, it' s a marketing hook.

    don't be surprised if those who pay for "alpha" access don't get in until the alpha is pretty much ready for beta.

    That may not be possible with a very small dev team, they will need alpha testers help.

  • EdanyEdany Phoenix, AZPosts: 178Member
    Another great post, lots of people on a roll today. :)
  • sweetdigssweetdigs Washington, DCPosts: 196Member

    Good post P-M.

    Of course, like many things in MMO-land, the world has gone more "casual" with regard to everything, including what alpha and beta means.  Alpha these days is more like a beta and beta is more like final release for mass viewing by the public to build hype for launch.

    I expect Alpha and Beta in CU to be, as it will in many other ways, more traditional.

  • MortifyMortify None of your BusinessPosts: 95Member

    Nice post plastic-metal, quite on the spot there!

     

    A shorter version of what you're saying, which i always use when putting my own software out there is that a Beta is 'Feature-complete', and Alpha is not.

    Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by Mortify

    Nice post plastic-metal, quite on the spot there!

     

    A shorter version of what you're saying, which i always use when putting my own software out there is that a Beta is 'Feature-complete', and Alpha is not.

    You mean I typed up that entire post and that's all I had to say? :)  I couldn't agree more, sir!

    My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

    image

  • OldskooOldskoo Minneapolis, MNPosts: 189Member
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

    There seems to be a major misunderstanding between the technical differences of ALPHA development, BETA development, and RELEASE.

    ALPHA comes from the first letter of the Greek alphabet, which is also used as the number one (1).  During alpha testing, software companies usually are trying to locate and eliminate as many bugs as possible, while closing loopholes that cause soft and hard crashes, potential avenues for hacking, and various different stress tests via client and client : server relationship.

    Typical Alpha builds include:

    • Core game mechanics
      • Depending on which spectrum of the alpha stage testing is occuring on, majority of the game may be playable or missing
    • "First Pass" quality checks on most features
    • Placeholder art is largely present
      • May include:  flat terrain, missing geometry (environmental models and character models), no animations or particle effects
    • Soft and Hard software crashes that may occur every five minutes, or not at all
    • Does not represent the quality of the product as seen in Beta or Release builds
    Alpha Testers Tasks:
    • Follow explicit directions via developer task log
    • Locate unknown bugs and potential exploits
      • Failure to report bugs in order to use for personal benefit during release usually results in account bans
    • Intentionally attempt to break or confuse the system
      • Iincludes in-game software testing, as well as sometimes green light "hacking" per the developers
    • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
    • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
     
    BETA comes from the second letter of the Greek alphabet, which is commonly coined to indicate a second stage of development.  During beta testing, software companies are attempting to refine the game, test mechanics and features added during late alpha builds, and stress test the software and server infastructure and hardware;  beta testers rigorously search for any bugs and exploits missed by previous build testers which could range from proofreading, reporting an exploit, see through walls, crashes, and much more.
     
    Typical Beta builds include:
     
    • Core mechanics firmly implemented, additional testing required
    • Most features have minimal bugs present and within "Final Pass" quality check reach
    • All terrain terraformed, little to no missing environmental models, most animations and particle effects are in place
    • Soft and Hard software crashes are significantly reduced, or not present at all.
    • Late Beta builds typically closely resembles the released product
    Beta Tester Tasks:
    • Casually play the game, locating any bugs or potential exploits missed by alpha testers
    • Join focus groups in order to provide feedback per developer request
    • Stress testing the software, as well as the server infrastructure and hardware, in an attempt to break the entire system
    • Participate in large scale events that were not possible during alpha testing
    • Concentrate on mechanics and features added during late alpha build
    • Communicate clearly, professionally, and objectionally
     
    During both ALPHA and BETA builds, testers and/or gamers can truly impact the development process in both positive and negative ways.  If an individual is there just to "see the game" it usually results in influencing the player's decision in purchasing or playing the game after release, as well as providing the company hosting the testing little to no yield on their return investment of allowing you into the development process.  
     
    Both development periods are amazing experiences, but there seems to be a shroud of misunderstanding regarding the ease of allowing everyone into certain build periods.  Quickly by a glance, City State Entertainment will have to utilize a portion of the Kickstarter development fund (and Mark Jacobs personal injection) in order to provide the following:
     
    • Engineer a network  infastructure and police latency issues
    • Build server hardware, maintenance
    • Provide basic troubleshooting
    • Moderate backer forums
    • Public Relations on high alert
    This all costs money, eats into accomplishing development milestones, and diverts attention from the entire development process.  That's also not including the bad apple that was dumb enough to "buy into" the alpha tier to "see the game" and goes on a character assassination spree because the software client consistently crashes due to failing to update his/her video card drivers.
     
    Let's not jump the gun, guys.  If you don't agree with the Kickstarter Tiers that's one thing, but a lot of people have a complete misunderstanding of game development and the processes in which it includes.  Alpha is not meant as free game time, that's usually Beta.  Just kidding.  Simply backing the project shouldn't mean you feel entitled to be an Alpha or Beta tester.  Besides, Mark has already stated he would like to include everyone into massive stress test events, even if you're not an alpha or beta tier backer.   Obviously this could change due to a number of reasons, but allowing every single backer in as a tester is completely asinine.
     
    My name is Plastic- Metal and I support this message.

    Wow, great post! Thanks!

    image

  • ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member

    Great post Plastic, go raibh maith agat

     

    Some posts mentioned how the modern alpha is more like a beta, but MJ has mentioned on more than a few occasions that testers will be asked to do their jobs a bit earlier than most other games have. With that said, I'm sure the alpha will be a true alpha

    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

    My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

    image

  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State Entertainment Fairfax, VAPosts: 467Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arbroath

    Great post Plastic, go raibh maith agat

     

    Some posts mentioned how the modern alpha is more like a beta, but MJ has mentioned on more than a few occasions that testers will be asked to do their jobs a bit earlier than most other games have. With that said, I'm sure the alpha will be a true alpha

    Worse actually. :) Because we will be building so much of the tech ourselves, I can't afford to wait till we even get in what is typically referred to as alpha testing to get people in. PM's OP was spot on for most games but I'm going to do things a bit differently. We need to have people beating on stuff earlier than most games if we want to get this game ready when we want it to be. In order to do that, we need to get people in early and testing some really boring core non-fun game systems. It really is going to be ugly at first.

    I'm beginning to think I should axe the Alpha Access tier and replace it with an Internal Testing tier instead so it's clearer to people when we launch our Kickstarter.

    Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

  • gylnnegylnne South Hutchinson, KSPosts: 320Member
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

    I'm beginning to think I should axe the Alpha Access tier and replace it with an Internal Testing tier instead so it's clearer to people when we launch our Kickstarter.

    I wonder to if this might be better. I get the feeling folks think they will be playing a game, instead of the boring stuff.:)

  • ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Yeah, it's disappointing. :(  My fiance has deep Scottish family ties (Boyd Clan and also later married into the Demonbreuns - The castle is still standing!) and on my father's side is a descendant of the Scott Clan.  Needless to say, the only reason I'm learning Irish gaelic is because rosetta stone hasn't released Scots Gaelic yet :(

    /derail!

    My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

    image

  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State Entertainment Fairfax, VAPosts: 467Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Arbroath

    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Yeah, it's disappointing. :(  My fiance has deep Scottish family ties (Boyd Clan and later married into the Demonbreuns - The castle is still standing!) and on my father's side is a descendant of the Scott Clan.  Needless to say, the only reason I'm learning Irish gaelic is because rosetta stone hasn't released Scots Gaelic yet :(

    Cool. My father used to tell me that there was a branch of the family in Scotland (he and half his family tree were from English, the other half Russian).

    Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

  • ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

    Originally posted by Arbroath

    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Yeah, it's disappointing. :(  My fiance has deep Scottish family ties (Boyd Clan and later married into the Demonbreuns - The castle is still standing!) and on my father's side is a descendant of the Scott Clan.  Needless to say, the only reason I'm learning Irish gaelic is because rosetta stone hasn't released Scots Gaelic yet :(

    Cool. My father used to tell me that there was a branch of the family in Scotland (he and half his family tree were from English, the other half Russian).

    Nice, Mark. A little Scottish is better than none at all!

    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

  • ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Ceud mìle fàilte, Arbroath!  Ta cúpla focal agam :(  Thank God for Rosetta Stone, no?

     

    I have no Irish really. I have a bit of the Scots Gaelic. I just recall a post you made in Irish in a previous post  ;)

    No Scots gaelic for Rosetta Stone though...the bastards!   ><

    Yeah, it's disappointing. :(  My fiance has deep Scottish family ties (Boyd Clan and also later married into the Demonbreuns - The castle is still standing!) and on my father's side is a descendant of the Scott Clan.  Needless to say, the only reason I'm learning Irish gaelic is because rosetta stone hasn't released Scots Gaelic yet :(

    /derail!

    There are other ways to learn the Gaelic. http://taic.me.uk/ is a learners resource that I use. Also if you PM me I could give you the contact of someone that gives reasonably priced lessons via Skype. 

    Sorry to derail the thread...as you were...

    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

  • icedernicedern Raleigh, NCPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs
    Originally posted by Arbroath

    Great post Plastic, go raibh maith agat

     

    Some posts mentioned how the modern alpha is more like a beta, but MJ has mentioned on more than a few occasions that testers will be asked to do their jobs a bit earlier than most other games have. With that said, I'm sure the alpha will be a true alpha

    Worse actually. :) Because we will be building so much of the tech ourselves, I can't afford to wait till we even get in what is typically referred to as alpha testing to get people in. PM's OP was spot on for most games but I'm going to do things a bit differently. We need to have people beating on stuff earlier than most games if we want to get this game ready when we want it to be. In order to do that, we need to get people in early and testing some really boring core non-fun game systems. It really is going to be ugly at first.

    I'm beginning to think I should axe the Alpha Access tier and replace it with an Internal Testing tier instead so it's clearer to people when we launch our Kickstarter.

    I think it should be called "Work that you won't get paid for and it won't be fun"  :)

     

    And I know I'm signing up for it when I pick it, but this is exactly what I want to do.

  • drakon3drakon3 Liberty Lake, WAPosts: 114Member
    Originally posted by icedern

    I think it should be called "Work that you won't get paid for and it won't be fun"  :)

     

    And I know I'm signing up for it when I pick it, but this is exactly what I want to do.

    Yep.  It depends on what you like to do.  Personally, I have lots of free time and LOVE mmo's.  I work in IT doing 3 x 12's on the weekend/graveyard so I essentially have Mon - Fri off while my wife works (no kids).  I fit into the alpha slot like OJ's glove.

  • ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by drakon3
    Originally posted by icedern

    I think it should be called "Work that you won't get paid for and it won't be fun"  :)

     

    And I know I'm signing up for it when I pick it, but this is exactly what I want to do.

    Yep.  It depends on what you like to do.  Personally, I have lots of free time and LOVE mmo's.  I work in IT doing 3 x 12's on the weekend/graveyard so I essentially have Mon - Fri off while my wife works (no kids).  I fit into the alpha slot like OJ's glove.

    I think that may be a backward analogy  ><

    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

  • drakon3drakon3 Liberty Lake, WAPosts: 114Member
    It was my lame attempt at humor.... :)
  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Oh I did the "/derail" thing for fun :)  I thoroughly enjoyed that conversation!  And you're right.. a little scottish is better than no scottish at all!

    My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

    image

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.