Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are all of these MMO coming out watered down pansy MMO.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

If I look at these add on this site and on other gaming sites, I have to wonder why every MMO is suddenly catering to the Xbox pansy demographic of gamers. Can we get a real MMORPG for adults that takes RPG serious and makes a dangerous world.

I don't want maps, I don't want quest markers, I don't want tutorials, I don't want twitch gameplay, I don't want solo play, I want a real MMO that makes me feel like I'm in danger if I don't find help. Bring on the naked corpse runs, bring on the grind.

I thought the WoW plague was bad for the gaming industry, how wrong I was after I tried Guild Wars 2 and Tera, that's the real plague.

Can we get our PC games back, PC gamers are the master race, why is everyone turning into sissies too affraid to accept a challenge.

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Game forums see this rhetoric a lot. That's the trouble, it's rhetoric. Define challenge, define hard. It took you  and 11 friends a week to get to level 5? you needed to grind through 2 billion hit points in a 4 hr marathon? You needed to kill 15 mobs in a specific sequence or do it again? Define hard?
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Playing XBOX makes you a pansy and PC games a tough bad ass?

You learn something new every day on these forums.

OP reminds me of this guy..he is baddest of them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-V2y7-rLA

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Might be a good idea for you to check out Mortal Online..
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    You have Mortal Online and Archeage just for you. Enjoy.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Playing XBOX makes you a pansy and PC games a tough bad ass?

You learn something new every day on these forums.

Yeah, finding out that PC gamers are "the master race" was enough "education" for me for one day.  I swear I've heard that term used dramatically somewhere before... hmmmm.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm not sure how to interpret the post.  Are you asking why or saying that you don't like it?

Why?  The answer is money.  Mass market games appeal to mass market players.  They go for a game that is fun, rewarding, and not a large amount of effort to hit achievements.

Don't like it?  Yep, I understand that some don't.  Welcome to the world of the disgruntled vet.  Until the economics of the market change, I wouldn't expect much of a resolution to this.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Waterlily

If I look at these add on this site and on other gaming sites, I have to wonder why every MMO is suddenly catering to the Xbox pansy demographic of gamers. Can we get a real MMORPG for adults that takes RPG serious and makes a dangerous world.

I don't want maps, I don't want quest markers, I don't want tutorials, I don't want twitch gameplay, I don't want solo play, I want a real MMO that makes me feel like I'm in danger if I don't find help. Bring on the corpse runs, bring on the grind,.

I thought the WoW plague was bad for the gaming industry, how wrong I was after I tried Guild Wars 2 and Tera, that's the real plague.

Can we get our PC games back, PC gamers are the master race, why is everyone turning into sissies too affraid to accept a challenge.

while i agree with some of your words, these highlighted in yellow are terribly bad. This doesnt make an mmo any serious or for adults or dangerous. It makes it boring, awful, depression inducing due to lack of fun. You say you want your PC games back, if mindless grind and corpse run is what you define as a real PC game then i hope they die for good.

I agree that we need mmorpgs that are less solo, more challenging, no hand holding at all, pretty dangerous with risks if you arent careful. But they need a good story even if its not a themepark like WoW. OF course its your personal opinion that comment about the real plague and whatnot. Just like its my personal opinion that GW2 is the best mmo since WoW. Thats another topic entirely. But yeah, You dont know what you are asking for by saying corpse runs and grind is what is needed. That would be 1000 times worse than hello kitty online.

You want a hard mmorpg? tell From Software to make a Dark Souls mmo.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

To answer the original question.  The developers want to sell to as many people as possible.  They don't want EQ1 numbers - they want WoW numbers.

That coupled with 'hardcore' gamers being almost impossible to please :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Wow to be honest, started it but yes ,Wow is no longer the ONLY "plague" on this genre.

Sadly the LAST and maybe ONLY game that NEVER used any markers or hand holding the Final Fantasy series is also going the hand holding way.They said they are adding markers and of course already have the instant warp to Leves and back.

i just watched a video here on MMORPG,one of the newer games and first thing that caught my eye was this sparkling path shown on the game for the player to follow.The player i beleive was actually one of the game system designers and even he was just following the sparkles.It ruins ANY notion the game is a world,and ruins any immersion,it looks more like computer code when you do junk like that.

One other thing that really ruins games.immersion and realism,is when yo uclick on a player or NPC and it lights up this ridiculous bright coloured hue.IDK has anyone ever talked to a person on the street and they light u pa colour?IDK maybe they might turn  red if you embarrass them but other than that,of course not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

One other thing that really ruins games.immersion and realism,is when yo uclick on a player or NPC and it lights up this ridiculous bright coloured hue.IDK has anyone ever talked to a person on the street and they light u pa colour?IDK maybe they might turn  red if you embarrass them but other than that,of course not.

another thing that ruins immersion and realism is having to kill 15 bears because you need to gather 1 tooth form each bear. Also having a town full of NPCs that dont have AI, they just wait for you to trigger a textbox asking that you go kill 15 more bears that are eating children in the forest. When you go to the forest? the bears are standing there or walking back n forth 4 meters. And the children all are playing in town (standing there, or runing in circles) and not being eaten by bears in the forest.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by rojo6934

I don't want maps, I don't want quest markers, I don't want tutorials, I don't want twitch gameplay, I don't want solo play, I want a real MMO that makes me feel like I'm in danger if I don't find help. Bring on the corpse runs, bring on the grind,.

while i agree with some of your words, these highlighted in yellow are terribly bad. This doesnt make an mmo any serious or for adults or dangerous. It makes it boring, awful, depression inducing due to lack of fun. You say you want your PC games back, if mindless grind and corpse run is what you define as a real PC game then i hope they die for good.

I agree that we need mmorpgs that are less solo, more challenging, no hand holding at all, pretty dangerous with risks if you arent careful. But they need a good story even if its not a themepark like WoW. OF course its your personal opinion that comment about the real plague and whatnot. Just like its my personal opinion that GW2 is the best mmo since WoW. Thats another topic entirely. But yeah, You dont know what you are asking for by saying corpse runs and grind is what is needed. That would be 1000 times worse than hello kitty online.

You want a hard mmorpg? tell From Software to make a Dark Souls mmo.

I agree with alot of the OP thoughts and yours Rojo but i gotta add, some of the most exciting times i have had in gaming UO and EQ  are corpse runs ... Really gets the blood pumping with the risk and knowing that there is "Really " something to lose if you cant .. or die more in the process.. Was also a great way  for comraderie by "Needing " to get some friends to help you , or jst some strangers and a great way to make new friends..

I remeber falling in that dam tree in EQ dieing  from th e fall at the bottom corpse surrounded by Gnolls.. and a few folks i didnt know at all heped work our way down and retrieve my corpse was great fun and i made 2 of my best friends in EQ that day ...

Same in UO same fantastic exciting corpse runs .. where your corpse was decaying and you race around for a healwer then back to your corpse many times haveing to kill the mobs that killed you , because they would actully loot your corpse also , Which more games should do ,, we are looting them why shouldntr they be able to loot you if they kill you .. Great Stuff Great memories

• BananaramaaBananaramaa Member Posts: 34
    I support this motion.
    Originally posted by Scorchien

I agree with alot of the OP thoughts and yours Rojo but i gotta add, some of the most exciting times i have had in gaming UO and EQ  are corpse runs ... Really gets the blood pumping with the risk and knowing that there is "Really " something to lose if you cant .. or die more in the process.. Was also a great way  for comraderie by "Needing " to get some friends to help you , or jst some strangers and a great way to make new friends..

I remeber falling in that dam tree in EQ dieing  from th e fall at the bottom corpse surrounded by Gnolls.. and a few folks i didnt know at all heped work our way down and retrieve my corpse was great fun and i made 2 of my best friends in EQ that day ...

Same in UO same fantastic exciting corpse runs .. where your corpse was decaying and you race around for a healwer then back to your corpse many times haveing to kill the mobs that killed you , because they would actully loot your corpse also , Which more games should do ,, we are looting them why shouldntr they be able to loot you if they kill you .. Great Stuff Great memories

mmmh i had the wrong meaning of corpse run, i always thought it was the same as corpse camping in pvp (im a pve person). Your analogy is obviously different and sounds ok if there is risk involved. A tougher version of what WoW has when you die, running as a ghost.

But back to the OP post, the grind. That word covers a wide margin and most (if not all) are just wrong when its all about fun, challenge, risk, reward. Grind doesnt fit there. Mobs are out there for people who want to grind, but that shouldnt be the focus of the progression, not even plan B. Just an option for people who only cares about killing and killing

• punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Were have i seen this much anger and talk of a master race before?

Man i can`t just seem to concentrate*Pun intented*  today.

Oh well i hope it does not go to far and camps are set up in front of places that only trains can get to.

I am sure it`s nothing*message or thred will be locked in 3...2...1....*

PS-  Siage hail!!!!  :p

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I don't want maps, I don't want quest markers, I don't want tutorials, I don't want twitch gameplay, I don't want solo play, I want a real MMO that makes me feel like I'm in danger if I don't find help. Bring on the naked corpse runs, bring on the grind.

Dumbing down the game.  Its been happening for year now and not just with mmorpgs...making things easy...been happening for years.  The games are reflecting the people who play them.

I wont blame it on the current generation of kids, though i should.  Weve all heard the instant gratification generation, and thats certainly how the games are starting to trend.

In a nutshell, the RPG fans of the first generation mmorpgs...they were a small group.  Yes in 2004 someone figured out that they could attract millions more to the genere by making everything easily accessable and hitting endgame and succeeding became a right not an achievement.

All thats left is EVE and Perpetuum, the latter is dying.  Darkfall got hit with the easy mode button, MO is still rough but in perma-alpha mode since 2010.

Bottom line is money, these are companies.  Youll probably pay for their game anyway before being dissapointed so they dont care. This is why the only attempts at a complext and difficult mmorpg have been done by fledgling indy developers...and most are total failures in delivering the basic mmorpg concepts in an acceptable state.

IMO making a hardcore server for all these themeparks would be a step in the right direction.  Make one sever where XP rates are cut in half, monster have more health and do more damage, death penalties severe...and see if it fills up.

Your not going to be seeing any AAA hardcore mmorpgs ever again, not going to happen.  In fact i dont think your going to be seeing many large budget mmorpgs soon enough.  Think SWTOR was the high water mark and welll...there still will be mmorpgs but more like GW2 where its built for a short attention span and instant gratification.  No more mmorpgs where its going to take you years to complete the content...those days died long ago.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

This process was not sudden, it started when WoW was launched and is still heading in an easymode direction.

I too am starting to question if will will see a AAA again, but any triple AAA not just hardcore.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    There are a few games coming that could be close to this:

Camelot Unchained
    Embers of Cearus
    Pathfinder Online
  • WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by BrownAle

No more mmorpgs where its going to take you years to complete the content...those days died long ago.

Disagree.  

Yes, alot of recent MMOs have focused on fast entry and quick progression, but there is still a demand by players to progress in a community and build lasting relationships.  That demand will continue to facilitate the supply of  new games catering to community building.  

They will definately be challenged to get players to invest emotionally in those fragile communities, but a few 'will' succeed.  

I theorize players 'will' invest lots of time in a game over many years, If they feel the game has legs and wont abandon them like a dead beat dad.

-Blitz

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. this rant again?

Vote with your wallet & your feet. Devs has no obligation to produce the game you want.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

/agree O.P. Where do I sign?

The MMO industry has to be the most business-inept group of people on the planet.

"It's the marketing, stupid." Quit copying WoW gameplay thinking that alone will attract millions of customers.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Scorchien

mmmh i had the wrong meaning of corpse run, i always thought it was the same as corpse camping in pvp (im a pve person). Your analogy is obviously different and sounds ok if there is risk involved. A tougher version of what WoW has when you die, running as a ghost.

But back to the OP post, the grind. That word covers a wide margin and most (if not all) are just wrong when its all about fun, challenge, risk, reward. Grind doesnt fit there. Mobs are out there for people who want to grind, but that shouldnt be the focus of the progression, not even plan B. Just an option for people who only cares about killing and killing

EVERY MMORPG has grind. Some just hide it better than others. Let's not be nieve enough to think it has ever left MMORPG's.

OP...I feel you...but don't agree with the way you worded it. But you waste your time because until people get tired of the same ole in a different wrapper....BIG money is where they will go, not just decent profit and pride in making something actually worth a longer than a month or so look.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Don't be like the OP.  Stay in school, kids.

You make me like charity

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Because apparently people that actually play games dont pay money for horrible games.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Problem is that game companies want "millions" of customers, instead of a few hundred K that stick around for years. It is just a matter of short term vs long term game and business management. Excepting WoW, EvE is likely the most profitable P2P game in history, because CCP managed their primary game well over the long term. How many other companies have gone under, been sold to avoid bankruptcy, or are on the way to one of those, because of short term thinking? Most of them. But the developers in the genre now are more interest in a "quick win" than in long-term success. That being because doing things well over the long-term, is hard.
  • ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Problem is that game companies want "millions" of customers, instead of a few hundred K that stick around for years. It is just a matter of short term vs long term game and business management. Excepting WoW, EvE is likely the most profitable P2P game in history, because CCP managed their primary game well over the long term. How many other companies have gone under, been sold to avoid bankruptcy, or are on the way to one of those, because of short term thinking? Most of them. But the developers in the genre now are more interest in a "quick win" than in long-term success. That being because doing things well over the long-term, is hard.

Don't leave out that most gamers now want to be the hero (Center of attention), want everything quick and easy, have no patience and seem to feel thinking is hard.

MMORPG's wouldn't be going the route they are if the masses weren't screaming for it, nor opening their wallets for it. Sadly...MMORPG's will soon be extinct in the sense of what made them different from other forms of gaming.