Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those saying the graphics are bad

2»

Comments

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I don't have a problem with the graphics quality myself, but the art direction isn't really my thing. 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Konner920
    Well the bushes are all pixelated even on max. the trees look shitty, its got a lot of bloom to try to make it look nice.

trees/bushes in most MMOs look like crap.. even GW2 trees/bushes are garbage.. 

imageimageimage

Good trees. :D

go right up on a bush or tree in tera they are still low rez.. just stylized so they look good from afar.. but again it makes no sense to have high rez foliage in a mmo,, gw2 trees look fine from far away as well.. actually nw trees look pretty decent from afar

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I don't play video games for their trees. :-

true although in skyrim i had the hi res trees mod with ugrids at 9.. lots and lots of lovely trees:) 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    I was turned off by the graphics immediately. For me, it was mostly about the art-style itself, it's just too cartoonish. It seemed like there were no real details anywhere, even when the game was maxed out. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

A Besides, I don't think the GRAPHICS are bad, just the player character models.  Honestly, most of the game looks pretty good.

I agree. The game world is ok but the character models look like someone did them with a crayon. I spent a few seconds messing around with my characters look when I realized it didn't matter. He looked like a blob of silly putty no matter what I did with it.

IT's sort of off putting having action combat with those terabad blocky characters. It just doesn't look right.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Shadows and textures are low quality. Lighting is handled poorly (both shading and shadows). Actual responsiveness of the toons, ie metal armor bends like cloth is extremely poor.

Though mostly what people are arguing is aesthetic, not actually graphics, which is entirely subjective.

shadows do need some work they also act strange on trees, lighting overall isn't bad dungeon lighting works well in my eyes. But overall for a f2p game i can't think of a better looking game overall(games that were made to be f2p not converted ones). 

I dont see the difference between a f2p and a p2p game, in my book they are both games and rated equally.

For an MMO, i think the graphics are Okay, comparable to the majorrity of them. You can improve lighting a lot trough the advanced settings.  (there is a lot of improvement possible in advanced settings even if the slider shows max in the basic settings). The games falls a bit short compared to other recently released AAA+ MMO´s, but it ain´t bad.

Annimations are okay, tough there is room for some improvements.  Sad thing is that these annimations root characters in place, which is poor design from the start. 

Character models arent bad either, there are anough sliders to improve them, but camera movement is where it goes wrong, not being able to zoom is just bad design.

But people that are saying graphics are bad, they are just wrong, they are way above average in MMO land. Wether you like the art style, thats a different thing, personally i think the art styl fits the setting good.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Skuall

FFXIV

the benchmark (that u can download and see it yourself is proof enough)

Gw2 isnt the best graphics ever ,but wayyyyyy better than neverwinter

Those graphics in FF XiV are epic, if you like the art direction.  To bad combat is ruined by all those flashy particle effects. I can understand particle effects for spells and such, but those for mellee attacks really ruin the beauty of the game for me during combat.

Gw2 scnerey and zone design is the best available in MMO´s till today, and they are the only one that has top knotch annimations combined with freedom of movement, there is so much much more work involved in that then just having rooted annimations.. Thos annimations in GW2 are beyound anyhtong else availlable in the MMO scene-

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Cryptic games have always been really bad at detecting the graphic settings of systems.

Hence if someone says that Enviornment graphics are bad or older genration, they need to open "Video" tab in advanced options and go through 50 or so settings including troubleshooting options.

If that doesn't work, it may be due to 2 graphic cards, or some other such known issue which needs to be resolved with technical support from PWE (I don't like the support at ticket, but technical forums with darth panda are pretty awesome).

Also, increasing Character details to 200%+ makes them quite nice, but it really brings lag in crowded areas like protector's enclave. However, still the look on characters is very cartoonish. e.g. the colors for skin tones are too bright to look realistic. 

I am not sure if it is overlooking on their part or intentional for distinuishing characters more clearly from enviornment (they have PvP after all).

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Shadows and textures are low quality. Lighting is handled poorly (both shading and shadows). Actual responsiveness of the toons, ie metal armor bends like cloth is extremely poor. Though mostly what people are arguing is aesthetic, not actually graphics, which is entirely subjective.

shadows do need some work they also act strange on trees, lighting overall isn't bad dungeon lighting works well in my eyes. But overall for a f2p game i can't think of a better looking game overall(games that were made to be f2p not converted ones). 

I dont see the difference between a f2p and a p2p game, in my book they are both games and rated equally.

For an MMO, i think the graphics are Okay, comparable to the majorrity of them. You can improve lighting a lot trough the advanced settings.  (there is a lot of improvement possible in advanced settings even if the slider shows max in the basic settings). The games falls a bit short compared to other recently released AAA+ MMO´s, but it ain´t bad.

Annimations are okay, tough there is room for some improvements.  Sad thing is that these annimations root characters in place, which is poor design from the start. 

Character models arent bad either, there are anough sliders to improve them, but camera movement is where it goes wrong, not being able to zoom is just bad design.

But people that are saying graphics are bad, they are just wrong, they are way above average in MMO land. Wether you like the art style, thats a different thing, personally i think the art styl fits the setting good.

reason I judge f2p a little different is one I don't need to spend a dime to play the game at launch and two a game designed as f2p generally is a smaller project overall ie smaller team smaller budget etc etc

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

If you don't look too hard the gfx seem pretty good. But if you start to techinically look at it, you can nitpick it apart quite a bit.

Character models are the part that make you start to question the whole thing though, it is hard to believe this is a cryptic game how bad the models and outfits look. Also how you can skate your character because they don't start the animation as soon as you move your character... who does that anymore? That looks off big time. As said texture detail is low, hopefully there will be a high-rez version. It isn't something that would keep me from playing, but it's not 2013 quality either.

What looks good for a mmo? GW2 if nothing else is an amazingly beautiful world with just amazing landmark after amazing landmark. Places are quickly memorable. That game is an 11 in the art dept, if you can max gfx on it. The game gest ugly faster than any other game if you cannot. Losses so much detail and fidelity on less than max, also Sweet FX raises it a full notch.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I was able to get beta keys for both Defiance and Neverwinter, but my ISP decided to have problems and was constantly losing connection every 5 minutes (for the past week), today it seems a little more stable but still drops, however was not able to see neverwinter and only had a small play of defiance, as my ISP was a little more stable today i found both had closed :(

I hope there will be another beta round for Neverwinter, not sure about Defiance as it releases quite soon.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I think the environmental art in the game is fantastic.  I love the dungeons, I love the outdoor areas.  The level 26-30 graveyard was so neat looking with the floating islands and rickety, creaky rope bridges.  I loved the Clockwork Tomb, I thought all of the art in that dungeon was fabulous.

My issue is with the character models and the armor.  The armor doesn't look bad, it just never seems to change.  You feel like you're wearing the same everything from level 0 to level 30 (where I capped at beta).  You end up with 'fancier' versions of the same armor over and over again, and weapons... nothing to get excited about.  Where's the variety, where's the excitement in finding a new piece of gear?  It feels lazy, like the devs didn't have time to add armor models or skimped on this area of the game.  Maybe they expect the paper doll to be used more often at release once there are  armorsmiths and tailors crafting gear and selling it etc... maybe that will make the armor less bland and repetitive.

Character models are pretty atrocious.  Same face on every female toon.  Same eyes, same lips, same everything.  Even with sliders, the faces end up looking the same.  The bodies aren't bad, though the calves are as wide as the thighs and everyone has HUGE feet.  It's the faces and the bucket hair that make me cry and throw things.  The hair colors are bland and there's really no true 'brown' color.  The whites of the eyes are bright white so that when you're looking at your toon from far away, it's like they're wearing glow glasses.  The tats are alright as far as design goes but the colors aren't any color I'd want on my body.  There's just so much more that could be done with the system.  I want choices.  I want flowing hair like Asian games have where it moves like hair, not like a fur bucket.  I want colors that actually mimic real hair.  I want eyes that come in all shapes and sizes with colors and sliders that actually make a difference.  I want different shapes for mouths and noses that actually add some character to a character!  Most of all, I want a WIDE variety.  Guild Wars 2 is free and they did character models right so I know it's not budget.

Rats and kobolds in game need some help too.  What is with the rat teeth?  I understand rat men don't have time for braces or a toothbrush but come on.  And the HORSES.  Fattest horses in any game ever.  The art for horses was 10x better in LoTRO, I'd actually be happier if they just transfered all the horse art over from LoTRO to NW.  They need to put all the horses on a diet and blend the color streaks and make the colors more pronounced.  I've never seen an orange and white Appaloosa before... Like a fat creamsicle.

So there ya go, these are my specific details of what I have issues with regarding the art in Neverwinter.

No bitchers.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

The environment graphics were alright, and I liked that your shadow would react to different light sources. Cryptic also did this in Champions so not a surprise really, but very few games do it.

However, the character are terrible. Badly modeled and badly textured. Hair being especially in both categories and also shared by all races.

Also, armor was bad as well. The designs change very little until level 30 and the designs themselves are bad. The armor may be better if you dye them to colors you like but dyes seem to be very rare drops(did not see any drop) or you can buy dyes from the cash shop(which would explain the rare drop rate).

Speaking of sharing, it seems animation is shared by everyone. Like they did 1 set of animation and applied it to both genders across all races. And it doesnt help that the animation is not very good.

Cryptic may not have the best reputation in the MMO community when it comes to quality but the one thing they are universally praised for in all of their previous games is the superb character customization. Sadly, this is not the case with Neverwinter. But then, its also their MMO that is launching as free to play and their MMO to be published by PWI.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I find the graphics beautiful and immersive, especially inside dungeons. I enjoy them much more than superfantasy colored graphics like Aion or GW2. And definitely more than cartoonish stuff like WoW or Wildstar.

To each their own. I'll be the one playing and having fun with the game, whoever doesn't like them well, good for them. May they find what they seek elsewhere.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I love the graphics in NW. I think it sets the perfect tone for a D&D adventure. It's a nice change from the current super high color and cartoon themes.

I can't wait for more NW time personally....

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Shadows and textures are low quality. Lighting is handled poorly (both shading and shadows). Actual responsiveness of the toons, ie metal armor bends like cloth is extremely poor.

Reminds me of how, even though TERA's graphics are very detailed, boobs will still bounce even in plate mail like it's cloth lol

isnt that what boobs do? bounce?

I dont mind bouncing boobs even in metal armor altough its not realy correct......must be a guy thing (sorry some of us guys realy dont know better when it comes to boobs we see only what we want to see :p )