Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: World vs. World's Time to Shine

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Wait, you quoted a guy talking about the UPDATE and not culling.

I see what you did there....

And you ignored every single word iv written since then.

I see what you did there...

Wait, ive ignore words written to further something you took OUT of context in order to derail what was originally said?

I see what I did there....

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Icnoevil

Too little too late on this wvw patch. I am not going to give ANet a cookie for fixing a game breaking bug (culling) that took them 7 months to do. No, that is not a content patch that is something the game should not have launched with IMO. The progression system is pretty laughable I am no game designer but I look at that and feel I could teach myself flash in a couple weeks an come up with a better progression system in my sleep.

Too little too late....most of the largest WvW guilds have already left the game. Just last week the MOST successfull WvW guild in the game quit and most are not looking back B2P or not.

I really wanted this game to succeed but there has always been something off about it from the WvW to the No trinity to the dyamic events (yellow marker quest) to the chaotic mess of the dungeons.

Too little too late?  It's a $60 mmorpg that continually updates with no subscription fee. This imho is unheard of. The  devs get more than a cookie from me, they get at least a jelly donut and a beer. Come on, buy a console game for the same price and see what type of updates you get! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Wait, you quoted a guy talking about the UPDATE and not culling.

I see what you did there....

And you ignored every single word iv written since then.

I see what you did there...

Wait, ive ignore words written to further something you took OUT of context in order to derail what was originally said?

I see what I did there....

I could get all clehe'd and point out that culling is a game fix that should have been done 7 months ago, or that PvP currencies are standard MMO far and not excatly "content",  but all that would do is flood this thread with "give these cry babies free montly content updates and they still complain".../sigh

Originally posted by Wizardry

This developer is VERY sneakly and cheap.

Yes of course we already knew how they would keep bandwidth,down,it is a f2p game,they are not going to give you much.

The Culling problem was there at BEta and yet they chose to release the game anyhow.That is actuall ya real serious problem,one that SHOULD have been fixed BEFORE release.NCSOFT KNOWS their msitakes and seems to always be ready with excuses.If i remember right,they CLAIMED it only showed up on release...umm ya whatever.

MOST if not all of this update,seriously looks like stuff that SHOULD have been there on release.Stats and badges and leaderboards are easy to implement,and should have been there.

To me making constant updates ,is more like failure to get it right the first time.This again is what Alpha and Beta tests are for.I have mentioned this trend in develoeprs often,they are NOT using the Betas to improve or test the products,instead they use them as marketing "EVENT" gimmicks to promote the game.They totally miss the point of having ALpha BEta tests.

So what i already knew would happen before this game released,is NCSOFT is going to finish the game properly and finish the content on YOUR time,AFTER they already got your money.No it is not the end of the world and as i said ,i expected it,as i am sure msot did,but seriously don't pat them on the back,instead EXPECT the game to be finished properly.

NO i am not picking on this game,this trend bothers me across the board,all the developers are doing it.I just wish gamers would quit patting the devs on the back for such poor efforts,YOU the gamer deserve better.

I would say I deserve better if I was renting the game. I bought it as is, and am very happy with it.  Hopefully all titles released go to the B2P format.

Nonetheless, the game updates are constant enough to warrant a fair share of applause to the developer. They could have just rolled over and done nothing more. Yes, they are putting out more content because it lines their pockets, but what company wouldn't want that? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• IcnoevilIcnoevil Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Too little too late on this wvw patch. I am not going to give ANet a cookie for fixing a game breaking bug (culling) that took them 7 months to do. No, that is not a content patch that is something the game should not have launched with IMO. The progression system is pretty laughable I am no game designer but I look at that and feel I could teach myself flash in a couple weeks an come up with a better progression system in my sleep.

Too little too late....most of the largest WvW guilds have already left the game. Just last week the MOST successfull WvW guild in the game quit and most are not looking back B2P or not.

I really wanted this game to succeed but there has always been something off about it from the WvW to the No trinity to the dyamic events (yellow marker quest) to the chaotic mess of the dungeons.

Too little too late?  It's a $60 mmorpg that continually updates with no subscription fee. This imho is unheard of. The  devs get more than a cookie from me, they get at least a jelly donut and a beer. Come on, buy a console game for the same price and see what type of updates you get! 

Like I said I don't really consider this a update. Myself and many others feel that this is something that should have been available at launch. To give them a cookie for taking 7 months to fix a broken game mode....well thats just silly.

BTW as a wvw player not a single ""FREE OMGZ CONTENT"" patch has added any content for me thanks. This is not content.

Seems tho if you ask the fanbois this is a OMG HUGE XPAC Worth OF contents every MOnth. Lol no.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Shame this game has so much potential but looks like it never expected to be more than a casual park ride. 

Just going from my experience on my dead server (which i havent logged on in months) was deserted, most EU servers are. X fire shows the games numbers getting lower and lower with little spikes each update then are lost within a week. 

Not saying GW2 is dead in anyway, because it's not, it just really is shrinking, slowly but it is definitley shrinking, might log in to see what has changed. I worry for this game when other MMOs are actually released. 

eh, we were supposed to be worried when PS2 was relaeased, rinse and repeat for DF:UW, AoW, TSW's conversion, etc. on and on.

defiance, wildstar, scarlet blade, TESO all will come out, and the next announcement will be GW2 passing 4 million and Anet still hiring.

Many people still play, im on Anvil Rock and see people everywhere while leveling. With that said, 4 million boxes sold does not mean 4 million active players.

AoC sold almost 2 million boxes and does not require a sub to play either...are you trying to imply AoC has 2 million active players as well?

certainly  you are right friend, it won't translate 1:1 active players nor did i even imply it. but it DOES translate 1:1 continued interest and injection of players into the game. any mmo with a price entry fee can be judged that way. RIFT not gaining much subs or retail sales in its second year, box heavily discounted, sales are pretty much done, expansion sold for all of two weeks before bargain bin pricing. and not much renewed activity of the game(some, very little though).

while the numbers are lower, obviously there have been some influx of players paying EVE's entry fee to this day, same for WoW up to early 2008. Same for GW1 up to mid 2008. also, the amount of contraction in game is so heavily exaggerated here. it's really happening, but it's so hard to take people seriously. especially those of us with perspective from playing more than 1 game around the same time.

Shame this game has so much potential but looks like it never expected to be more than a casual park ride. 

Just going from my experience on my dead server (which i havent logged on in months) was deserted, most EU servers are. X fire shows the games numbers getting lower and lower with little spikes each update then are lost within a week. 

Not saying GW2 is dead in anyway, because it's not, it just really is shrinking, slowly but it is definitley shrinking, might log in to see what has changed. I worry for this game when other MMOs are actually released. 

eh, we were supposed to be worried when PS2 was relaeased, rinse and repeat for DF:UW, AoW, TSW's conversion, etc. on and on.

defiance, wildstar, scarlet blade, TESO all will come out, and the next announcement will be GW2 passing 4 million and Anet still hiring.

Many people still play, im on Anvil Rock and see people everywhere while leveling. With that said, 4 million boxes sold does not mean 4 million active players.

AoC sold almost 2 million boxes and does not require a sub to play either...are you trying to imply AoC has 2 million active players as well?

certainly  you are right friend, it won't translate 1:1 active players nor did i even imply it. but it DOES translate 1:1 continued interest and injection of players into the game. any mmo with a price entry fee can be judged that way. RIFT not gaining much subs or retail sales in its second year, box heavily discounted, sales are pretty much done, expansion sold for all of two weeks before bargain bin pricing. and not much renewed activity of the game(some, very little though).

while the numbers are lower, obviously there have been some influx of players paying EVE's entry fee to this day, same for WoW up to early 2008. Same for GW1 up to mid 2008. also, the amount of contraction in game is so heavily exaggerated here. it's really happening, but it's so hard to take people seriously. especially those of us with perspective from playing more than 1 game around the same time.

I agree for the most part, though just want to point out that 7 months in, Rift had somewhere between 2-3 million subs. If you want to compare GW2's decline of active players to Rift, lets wait 3 years.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Like I said I don't really consider this a update. Myself and many others feel that this is something that should have been available at launch. To give them a cookie for taking 7 months to fix a broken game mode....well thats just silly.

BTW as a wvw player not a single ""FREE OMGZ CONTENT"" patch has added any content for me thanks. This is not content.

Seems tho if you ask the fanbois this is a OMG HUGE XPAC Worth OF contents every MOnth. Lol no.

So anything new they add now and in the future should have been added at launch? Things change in every new game title, WoW and EQ2 are still evolving (or regressing in some cases). 

Not everything in life is a OMGZ moment. Content that enhannces a game no matter how subtle it is still is a step forward. 

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I agree for the most part, though just want to point out that 7 months in, Rift had somewhere between 2-3 million subs. If you want to compare GW2's decline of active players to Rift, lets wait 2 years.

That's not a wild claim you are unable to back up, I hope. Last time I checked Rift never had more than 600,000 subscribers. 

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Originally posted by Alot

I agree for the most part, though just want to point out that 7 months in, Rift had somewhere between 2-3 million subs. If you want to compare GW2's decline of active players to Rift, lets wait 2 years.

That's not a wild claim you are unable to back up, I hope. Last time I checked Rift never had more than 600,000 subscribers. 

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Did you really just link something that shows WAR peaking higher than AoC?

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Awesome.....I cannot wait to unload the mass amounts of badges I have saved.

Additionally, the zergs are going to be nice and fat with returning and unexperienced players.  Brace yourself,  a massacre is coming.  Time for a good week or so of badge farming.

*sharpens blades*

Originally posted by Maephisto

Awesome.....I cannot wait to unload the mass amounts of badges I have saved.

Additionally, the zergs are going to be nice and fat with returning and unexperienced players.  Brace yourself,  a massacre is coming.  Time for a good week or so of badge farming.

*sharpens blades*

Agreed, I cant wait to get into some WvW!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Wizardry

This developer is VERY sneakly and cheap.

Yes of course we already knew how they would keep bandwidth,down,it is a f2p game,they are not going to give you much.

The Culling problem was there at BEta and yet they chose to release the game anyhow.That is actuall ya real serious problem,one that SHOULD have been fixed BEFORE release.NCSOFT KNOWS their msitakes and seems to always be ready with excuses.If i remember right,they CLAIMED it only showed up on release...umm ya whatever.

MOST if not all of this update,seriously looks like stuff that SHOULD have been there on release.Stats and badges and leaderboards are easy to implement,and should have been there.

To me making constant updates ,is more like failure to get it right the first time.This again is what Alpha and Beta tests are for.I have mentioned this trend in develoeprs often,they are NOT using the Betas to improve or test the products,instead they use them as marketing "EVENT" gimmicks to promote the game.They totally miss the point of having ALpha BEta tests.

So what i already knew would happen before this game released,is NCSOFT is going to finish the game properly and finish the content on YOUR time,AFTER they already got your money.No it is not the end of the world and as i said ,i expected it,as i am sure msot did,but seriously don't pat them on the back,instead EXPECT the game to be finished properly.

NO i am not picking on this game,this trend bothers me across the board,all the developers are doing it.I just wish gamers would quit patting the devs on the back for such poor efforts,YOU the gamer deserve better.

Because, You know, companies have that magic box at their back office thet spits money when they rub the lid. That's totally how it works...

Some things simply can't be fixed during beta. It's impossible due to how much work it requires. If yout hink it's only changing few values in a simple System.Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!"); then you have no idea how complex MMO coding can get. To fix some of the problem you need to let the game run on full capacity for a while to gather enough data and see where the issue is exactly so you can fix it in best possible way rather than apply a temporary band-aid that can possible break other stuff. 

Anyone expect MMO to be "done" the day of release is naive and/or possibly delusional. People still often say how WoW was perfect... but it damns ure wasn't. One of Paladin Seals was compeltley broken for months after release. The so called "loot bug" wher eyour character would get stuck in looting position lasted all the way till TBC launch, several raid enocunter sinv anilla took ove rmonth to get fixed before they were in actually playable state that allowed guild to finish them. 

MMOs are such complex beasts that there is no way in nine hells to have everything working on release. It is not possible. There will always be issues, even many months into the game's life. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I could get all clehe'd and point out that culling is a game fix that should have been done 7 months ago, or that PvP currencies are standard MMO far and not excatly "content",  but all that would do is flood this thread with "give these cry babies free montly content updates and they still complain".../sigh

I could also get all CLIECHED and point out that virtually NO GAMES release with a PvP structure or PvP currency until well after release and they are still called content updateds....but all that would do is flood this thread with people that would reply "duh, tell me something I dont know" as well as people that will just let that go over their heads just so they can argue for the sake of arguing.../sigh

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

I could also get all CLIECHED and point out that virtually NO GAMES release with a PvP structure or PvP currency until well after release and they are still called content updateds....but all that would do is flood this thread with people that would reply "duh, tell me something I dont know" as well as people that will just let that go over their heads just so they can argue for the sake of arguing.../sigh

Rift, DCUO, SWTOR, TSW (among others), launched with PVP currencies..but whos counting...

GW2 is awsome and nowhere near dead, they have added quite a bit of stuff thus far, but dont try to act like they are doing some unsurmountable feat with these updates. 90% of them are game fixes, which dont get me wrong, are awsome, but they arnt adding anymore game fixes than other ftp MMOs. There is a big difference between a game fix/quality of life update, and a content update. Please, for the love of god, stop with these posts lol

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by doodphace I could get all clehe'd and point out that culling is a game fix that should have been done 7 months ago, or that PvP currencies are standard MMO far and not excatly "content",  but all that would do is flood this thread with "give these cry babies free montly content updates and they still complain".../sigh

Rift, DCUO, SWTOR, TSW (among others), launched with PVP currencies..but whos counting...

GW2 is awsome and nowhere near dead, they have added quite a bit of stuff thus far, but dont try to act like they are doing some unsurmountable feat with these updates. 90% of them are game fixes, which dont get me wrong, are awsome, but they arnt adding anymore game fixes than other ftp MMOs. There is a big difference between a game fix/quality of life update, and a content update. Please, for the love of god, stop with these posts lol

and all those games had numerous other issues that caused major PvP issues.. Were you there for rifts launch? Op rogue sabs running rampant.. Followed by unstoppable mages the next patch and so on and so on... Also the content of this patch is the new story arc and more guild missions on top of the wvw stuff

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

and all those games had numerous other issues that caused major PvP issues.. Were you there for rifts launch? Op rogue sabs running rampant.. Followed by unstoppable mages the next patch and so on and so on... Also the content of this patch is the new story arc and more guild missions on top of the wvw stuff

The initial post:

"virtually NO GAMES release with a PvP structure or PvP currency until well after release"

I pointed out that virtually ALL GAMES do....the comment was not how many "bugs" they had afterwards, don't change the topic now lol

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

i have only been playing for a few weeks and. i have not had toruble with lag or anythign in  the battle. but i would have to say this is a fix rather than an update or new content to do.

i have not been doing much wvwvw just on the mere fact the same realm wins all the time. maybe i havent played long enough to tell but wat i have seen is were playing the same realms every week

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

These monthly updates keep getting better and better in my opinion.  I'm not even sure if they missed a single one yet; this has been the best value for my money in a very long time.

Too casual mmo gamer for me to get into.Yes if you are a social/casual gamer this might be enough for you to log in and head to the cash shop, but for me GW2 was very much a one play through experience. Fun, but once was enough.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Nice thing about the removal of culling will be a subtle change in how WvW plays as a whole. Zergs visible from a distance now will allow advanced warning to move defensive players... great battles will ensue.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Volkon

Nice thing about the removal of culling will be a subtle change in how WvW plays as a whole. Zergs visible from a distance now will allow advanced warning to move defensive players... great battles will ensue.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

This sounds nice and all but I think the main problem with PvP in this game, and the reason why I stopped playing, is that it really doesnt matter either way. Flip a keep or not, does not affect much or anything. Server pride? Doubt it as everyone from all the servers pretty much look the same, have the same races, armor etc. It is like the war of the clones.

At the very least they should have a ranking system. That is not much in making PvP matter but atleast I would not feel like a faceless zergling.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Yamota

This sounds nice and all but I think the main problem with PvP in this game, and the reason why I stopped playing, is that it really doesnt matter either way. Flip a keep or not, does not affect much or anything. Server pride? Doubt it as everyone from all the servers pretty much look the same, have the same races, armor etc. It is like the war of the clones.

At the very least they should have a ranking system. That is not much in making PvP matter but atleast I would not feel like a faceless zergling.

There is server animosity already. I agree that faceless enemies is a letdown, but I have a feeling that even though arenanet said they will never do it they will eventually open up to the idea. They are already putting ranks on the display name, I think it's just a matter of time.