Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: World vs. World's Time to Shine

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    I think this game had its time. It is too little too late. People might come back and check it out as it is B2P, but it isn't enough to hold them. The crowd has come and gone and there are too many new games on the horizon that are promising. 

I don't like this logic all.  Even games I used to feel were lacking (TERA, Rift) have added things to widen their appeal to the gaming community, and GW2 is only getting better.  The fact remains that many people have been returning.  Will they stay?  Maybe, maybe not, but population is not a problem from what I've seen on several servers.

The game's been out a little over 6 months, and I see just as many or more people playing when I run around the maps.  The important thing to remember is that MMO's are, despite what people want, never truly finished at launch or even years after, because they're more of an evolution than a set product.

I agree that there are promising games on the horizon, but come on, the crowd is still there.

I ve enjoyed the game, but, you can t possibly see just as many or more people nopw then at laucnh. You can enjoy a game, but this simply isn t true.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

These monthly updates keep getting better and better in my opinion.  I'm not even sure if they missed a single one yet; this has been the best value for my money in a very long time.

Hopefully we will see Guild Halls and especially Player Housing before long as that's been put off enough in my opinion.   :)

While im stoked emensly for culling to be removed, how on earth can anyone describe this as a content update???

At most, this is a fix.

They added a valor counter eer ranking system...

I know, im refering to the multiple folks implying the removel of culling is "content".

Did you read the article? Removing culling is part of the patch, not the additonal content. 

You literally reiterated my point, thank you.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I think this game had its time. It is too little too late. People might come back and check it out as it is B2P, but it isn't enough to hold them. The crowd has come and gone and there are too many new games on the horizon that are promising. 

I don't like this logic all.  Even games I used to feel were lacking (TERA, Rift) have added things to widen their appeal to the gaming community, and GW2 is only getting better.  The fact remains that many people have been returning.  Will they stay?  Maybe, maybe not, but population is not a problem from what I've seen on several servers.

The game's been out a little over 6 months, and I see just as many or more people playing when I run around the maps.  The important thing to remember is that MMO's are, despite what people want, never truly finished at launch or even years after, because they're more of an evolution than a set product.

I agree that there are promising games on the horizon, but come on, the crowd is still there.

I ve enjoyed the game, but, you can t possibly see just as many or more people nopw then at laucnh. You can enjoy a game, but this simply isn t true.

Yes, because I'm lying... seeing players that aren't there due to being a fan of the game.  lol.  Honestly, I see less than I did right at launch sure, but the numbers went down quickly and are now back to the amount of people I'd typically see 2 months into the game.  And bonus!  I do enjoy the game!

Besides, the opposite end of the argument is no truer than my statements.  Some people act like no one's playing the game anymore.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Wait, I said removing culling was not content, but you feel the need to list everything thats not culling?

I see what you did there...

Wait, you quoted a guy talking about the UPDATE and not culling.

I see what you did there....

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

These monthly updates keep getting better and better in my opinion.  I'm not even sure if they missed a single one yet; this has been the best value for my money in a very long time.

Hopefully we will see Guild Halls and especially Player Housing before long as that's been put off enough in my opinion.   :)

While im stoked emensly for culling to be removed, how on earth can anyone describe this as a content update???

At most, this is a fix.

I know, im refering to the multiple folks implying the removel of culling is "content".

Did you read the article? Removing culling is part of the patch, not the additonal content. 

There were only a few posts by folks about removing culling and none mentioned it as being content. Maybe others and myself misunderstood what you were saying in your first post. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by jtcgs

Wait, I said removing culling was not content, but you feel the need to list everything thats not culling?

Wait, you quoted a guy talking about the UPDATE and not culling.

I see what you did there....

And you ignored every single word iv written since then.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Yes, because I'm lying... seeing players that aren't there due to being a fan of the game.  lol.  Honestly, I see less than I did right at launch sure, but the numbers went down quickly and are now back to the amount of people I'd typically see 2 months into the game.  And bonus!  I do enjoy the game!

Besides, the opposite end of the argument is no truer than my statements.  Some people act like no one's playing the game anymore.

Not sure why you care if people say no ones playing the game or not.  Never said you re lying, just claiming there isn t the same as it was at launch.

At most, this is a fix.

No he didn't.  He proved you didn't read the article.  Where does it say that the removal of culling is considered content, and not instead the additions of badges and ranks?  Why are you even still arguing about this, stop derailing the thread.

At most, this is a fix.

No he didn't.  He proved you didn't read the article.  Where does it say that the removal of culling is considered content, and not instead the additions of badges and ranks?  Why are you even still arguing about this, stop derailing the thread.

I specifically stated removing culling was not content (culling being the topic of main post)...I was then pelted with responses of all the other things the patch is implemting aside from culling(and if you want to get down to it, most people would not call rankings or currency "content", but thats a discussion for another day)....and I'm the one derailing the thread? I said culling was not content, the guy then said culling was not content, yet somehow we are saying different things?

I give up..

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

People hate it when other people play games they don't play anymore. They can't handle it for some reason. Well, mainly the guys who troll the GW2 forums on this website anyways. 

But come on man: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, it clearly did not fall!

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Shame this game has so much potential but looks like it never expected to be more than a casual park ride. 

Just going from my experience on my dead server (which i havent logged on in months) was deserted, most EU servers are. X fire shows the games numbers getting lower and lower with little spikes each update then are lost within a week. 

Not saying GW2 is dead in anyway, because it's not, it just really is shrinking, slowly but it is definitley shrinking, might log in to see what has changed. I worry for this game when other MMOs are actually released. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

Originally posted by Celcius

People hate it when other people play games they don't play anymore. They can't handle it for some reason. Well, mainly the guys who troll the GW2 forums on this website anyways. 

But come on man: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, it clearly did not fall!

Agreed. I don't like Eve but have no reason to go to the forum to complain about it. It's to much work! On top of that, thousands of folks love the game, and it's none of my business to try and convince them to not like it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Shame this game has so much potential but looks like it never expected to be more than a casual park ride. 

Just going from my experience on my dead server (which i havent logged on in months) was deserted, most EU servers are. X fire shows the games numbers getting lower and lower with little spikes each update then are lost within a week. 

Not saying GW2 is dead in anyway, because it's not, it just really is shrinking, slowly but it is definitley shrinking, might log in to see what has changed. I worry for this game when other MMOs are actually released. 

eh, we were supposed to be worried when PS2 was relaeased, rinse and repeat for DF:UW, AoW, TSW's conversion, etc. on and on.

defiance, wildstar, scarlet blade, TESO all will come out, and the next announcement will be GW2 passing 4 million and Anet still hiring.

• janjanahmetjanjanahmet Member CommonPosts: 7
    Perfect...
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

eh, we were supposed to be worried when PS2 was relaeased, rinse and repeat for DF:UW, AoW, TSW's conversion, etc. on and on.

defiance, wildstar, scarlet blade, TESO all will come out, and the next announcement will be GW2 passing 4 million and Anet still hiring.

Makes me think of one thing......... "GW2 killer".

Many people still play, im on Anvil Rock and see people everywhere while leveling. With that said, 4 million boxes sold does not mean 4 million active players.

AoC sold almost 2 million boxes and does not require a sub to play either...are you trying to imply AoC has 2 million active players as well?

I don't think he/she was trying to imply anything... he just said 4 million.  I'm sure everyone and their mother has heard the "that doesn't mean 4 million players" speech at this point.

Still, they ARE creeping up to 4 mil box sales, which is still pretty impressive to me.

Makes me think of one thing......... "GW2 killer".

Ya, it makes me think about what you said about the game growing earlier in this thread. 

GW2 really wasn't promoted like other major titles. I remember even when Skyrim came out there were TV ads. Recently, of course Blizzard pumped MoP all over television also. GW2 had no real teleivision promotion that I know of other than that terrible youtube "Our Time is Now" video.So, what I'm getting at is GW2 is more of a word of mouth game and hopefully will be promote more players with great content patches and upgrades.

I don't think he/she was trying to imply anything... he just said 4 million.  I'm sure everyone and their mother has heard the "that doesn't mean 4 million players" speech at this point.

Still, they ARE creeping up to 4 mil box sales, which is still pretty impressive to me.

He/she was implying something, otherwise they would not have mentioned a gazillion other MMOs, followed by GW2 "aproaching 4 million" (its more like 3 million at this point anyway).

All I am saying is boxes sold is no indication of active players, which is tech all that matters when it comes to MMOs, or online centric games in general (have a look at Diablo 3). For all we know TSW has as many active players as GW2 (also mentioned in his/her post), we have no way of knowing, Blizzard and CCP are the only companies who release player counts instead of box numbers. I am sure you heard it all before, but so has everyone else regarding "boxes sold".

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    News article about new content for a game becomes a bitch fest...who coulda seen that one coming.....

Any who looking forward to it and hope this part of the story has some meat on it:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I hope it shines , or i will be uninstalling , the WvW can be fun and makes the game worth keeping on my drive in spite of the lackluster PVE and classes and skills ...

He/she was implying something, otherwise they would not have mentioned a gazillion other MMOs, followed by GW2 "aproaching 4 million" (its more like 3 million at this point anyway).

All I am saying is boxes sold is no indication of active players, which is tech all that matters when it comes to MMOs, or online centric games in general (have a look at Diablo 3). For all we know TSW has as many active players as GW2 (also mentioned in his/her post), we have no way of knowing, Blizzard and CCP are the only companies who release player counts instead of box numbers. I am sure you heard it all before, but so has everyone else regarding "boxes sold".

You seem pretty defensive over it.  Again, I have to remind you that the thread is about content updates.  What are you going to buy with YOUR badges?

• IcnoevilIcnoevil Member Posts: 9

Too little too late on this wvw patch. I am not going to give ANet a cookie for fixing a game breaking bug (culling) that took them 7 months to do. No, that is not a content patch that is something the game should not have launched with IMO. The progression system is pretty laughable I am no game designer but I look at that and feel I could teach myself flash in a couple weeks an come up with a better progression system in my sleep.

Too little too late....most of the largest WvW guilds have already left the game. Just last week the MOST successfull WvW guild in the game quit and most are not looking back B2P or not.

I really wanted this game to succeed but there has always been something off about it from the WvW to the No trinity to the dyamic events (yellow marker quest) to the chaotic mess of the dungeons.

You seem pretty defensive over it.  Again, I have to remind you that the thread is about content updates.  What are you going to buy with YOUR badges?

My initial post in this tread was about the patch....everything else is a response to something else said in the thread.

So let me get this straight, you submit a post in opposition to something I said (in and of itself completely off topic), I point out how inane it is, and your response is that i'm defensive and off topic?

This is why I love coming to these forums, they are highly enertaining :-)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This developer is VERY sneakly and cheap.

Yes of course we already knew how they would keep bandwidth,down,it is a f2p game,they are not going to give you much.

The Culling problem was there at BEta and yet they chose to release the game anyhow.That is actuall ya real serious problem,one that SHOULD have been fixed BEFORE release.NCSOFT KNOWS their msitakes and seems to always be ready with excuses.If i remember right,they CLAIMED it only showed up on release...umm ya whatever.

MOST if not all of this update,seriously looks like stuff that SHOULD have been there on release.Stats and badges and leaderboards are easy to implement,and should have been there.

To me making constant updates ,is more like failure to get it right the first time.This again is what Alpha and Beta tests are for.I have mentioned this trend in develoeprs often,they are NOT using the Betas to improve or test the products,instead they use them as marketing "EVENT" gimmicks to promote the game.They totally miss the point of having ALpha BEta tests.

So what i already knew would happen before this game released,is NCSOFT is going to finish the game properly and finish the content on YOUR time,AFTER they already got your money.No it is not the end of the world and as i said ,i expected it,as i am sure msot did,but seriously don't pat them on the back,instead EXPECT the game to be finished properly.

NO i am not picking on this game,this trend bothers me across the board,all the developers are doing it.I just wish gamers would quit patting the devs on the back for such poor efforts,YOU the gamer deserve better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.