Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RG was right all MMO devs do suck.

Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Seriously who makes these games now days, its a joke, what was great about past games was the fact they didnt cater to the all mighty dollar, they catered to challenges, and quality, If a company really wanted to make money, they would stop trying to take money, and what i mean is these devs make these shitty games with in game stores, and that combination doesnt work, heres an idea instead of having poeple buy cosmetics, have them earn them in a game where they actually have to go out and complete a set of quests or kill a set of monsters. Not open my wallet and buy them, you know this type of shit is really lame and boring, ill admit i have spent money on these games, only to realize that it wasnt worth it, basically just flushed it down the toilet, thats what these games do to you, they have about a 1 week period where they show you false hopes and promises then its either get out your wallet or be bored out of your mind.

My list of games never to play:

Any game with a In-game store

Heres to the old school purchase the game, pay a subscription fee,and building your character from playing the game. And for the love of god bring back community!  Any true gamer will tell you, they arent looking to throw 15 minutes into a game, they are looking to throw 15 years into it.

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    +1
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    League of Legends says hello. Team Fortress 2 says hello. Your rant was ill considered.
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Those aren't MMO's, one is a FPS, and the other is a RTS, and both are far from massive, both are good games, but when talking terms of massive multiplayer on-line, means massive amounts of players on-line in the same world at the same time. And also those are like quickie games.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

By your own admission, you've contributed to the problem. You've bought stuff in an in-game store. If you're against it, don't support it and try - maturely - to convince others against using it.

LoTRO went f2p and ruined a game I loved. I stopped playing. I didn't give them any more of my money. So, yes, I agree with you. I hate seeing a store in games. It instantly ruins my immersion. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

A lot of hopes are resting on Richard Garriott.  He does have what it takes, since some of the early Ultima's and some other obscure games were fully desgined and coded by RG as solo projects.  Those were some very fun and imaginative games too.  Simpler, sure .. but you get an undiluted peek inside his head.

Avoiding a publisher might work to his favor.  Maybe he'll invent a new term for gaming, since his invention of the term "MMORPG" is being perverted by those looking to make money and not good games these days.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    I agree with Richard that most designers are pretty ill-prepared for their work, and I agree with him that they aren't being educated properly.  I don't necessarily agree with his design methodology or his explanation of the problem with game designers today, but he does have a proven track record and a genuine design method, which is more than most game designers can begin to claim.
    Originally posted by Karteli

A lot of hopes are resting on Richard Garriott.  He does have what it takes, since many of the early Ultima's and some other obscure games like Wrath of Denethenor (sort of like U2) were fully desgined and coded by RG as solo projects.  Those were some very fun and imaginative games too.  Simpler, sure .. but you get an undiluted peek inside his head.

Avoiding a publisher might work to his favor.  Maybe he'll invent a new term for gaming, since his invention of the term "MMORPG" is being perverted by those looking to make money and not good games these days.

Yeah I looked at his record and I havent played but 1 of his games.....not impressed. The MMO industry at the moment is ripe for the picking if someone would just do it right, I have my eyes set on ESO, and Wildstar, but if these games even hint a bonus item from an in game store i'll turn my attention elsewhere, the in game stores wouldnt bug me if they didnt give bonus', i cant stand the p2w, and anything that gives a bonus for money is paying to win. And i agree the games are garbage because all they are concerned with is money, but the odd thing is that their game would gross insane amounts of money if the game itself was as captivating as say EQ1, or WoW pre-BC.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    very unimpress with RG.  Tabula Rasa???
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    A has been RG says most MMO devs suck.... yeah right!!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Didn't EQ2 go F2P and get like 200% increase in reveune or something?

Can't really blame a company for trying to make money and suceeding. Whether you like the majority's opinion is irrelevant, that's how capitalism works.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I can guarantee Shroud of the Avatar will not be close to the popularity of recent games.

As for the old games not being about money...really?  The people writing and making them probably loved the games as do those who do it now, but the people investing the money have always been about return on investment.  The only change is the business has matured as with some of the systems.

The OP showed why the practice exists, because it works.  Thats why we have what we have, because people supported it and businesses took the next logical step.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Riqqy82
    Originally posted by Karteli

A lot of hopes are resting on Richard Garriott.  He does have what it takes, since many of the early Ultima's and some other obscure games like Wrath of Denethenor (sort of like U2) were fully desgined and coded by RG as solo projects.  Those were some very fun and imaginative games too.  Simpler, sure .. but you get an undiluted peek inside his head.

Yeah I looked at his record and I havent played but 1 of his games.....not impressed. The MMO industry at the moment is ripe for the picking if someone would just do it right, I have my eyes set on ESO, and Wildstar, but if these games even hint a bonus item from an in game store i'll turn my attention elsewhere, the in game stores wouldnt bug me if they didnt give bonus', i cant stand the p2w, and anything that gives a bonus for money is paying to win. And i agree the games are garbage because all they are concerned with is money, but the odd thing is that their game would gross insane amounts of money if the game itself was as captivating as say EQ1, or WoW pre-BC.

Hate to be that guy but...you contradicted yourself.  You complained about cosmetics being sold in your first post yet you are alright with items being sold that lack bonuses, which pretty much consists of cosmetics

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Can a Moderator plz close or merge this thread?, it's already negative and it's already been raised here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379805/Richard-Garriott-I-think-most-game-designers-really-just-suck.html

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    League of Legends says hello. Team Fortress 2 says hello. Your rant was ill considered.

^ This, basically.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Yeah, its so sad, if you have the funds to create an mmo, why wouldnt you make one that trapped people in. I played Ultima, and for the era, it was great, but now you are able to do so much more with the technology thats out there, you should be able to make an interesting, detailed, and wonderous world to live in, a world where you wouldnt know what was out there unless you went out and looked for it. Sadly the interwebs and peoples inability to keep things quiet now days kind of ruins content, well the good content anyways, which is the secrets a world holds. Perhaps a smart person will one day find a way to change the world in an instant, or somehow have a NPC progression, ie, a group of NPC Bandits build a camp, recruit more bands, and then eventually enters a boss state, that would be cool, unexplored areas growing rampant =), keeps people moving around the world, you know just something to keep the unknown, unknown until its wanted to be visually known? rofl my imagination is crazy. And thats just the environmental then there are classes, abilities, quests, it seems to me like these topics aren't talked about at all(or with any real thought on them). I guess there are alot of aspects.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    While I used to love RG and the Ultima series...hell I still love the ultima series, I don't agree with him. His statement was pretty full of himself and arogant. I love how the OP claims that game devs now cater to the "mighty dollar". I got news for you buddy, that has always been the case. People just realized less then 10 years ago that games that are more accessible to people with lives bring in more money...WHO KNEW? 
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Riqqy82

Seriously who makes these games now days, its a joke, what was great about past games was the fact they didnt cater to the all mighty dollar, they catered to challenges, and quality, If a company really wanted to make money, they would stop trying to take money, and what i mean is these devs make these shitty games with in game stores, and that combination doesnt work, heres an idea instead of having poeple buy cosmetics, have them earn them in a game where they actually have to go out and complete a set of quests or kill a set of monsters. Not open my wallet and buy them, you know this type of shit is really lame and boring, ill admit i have spent money on these games, only to realize that it wasnt worth it, basically just flushed it down the toilet, thats what these games do to you, they have about a 1 week period where they show you false hopes and promises then its either get out your wallet or be bored out of your mind.

My list of games never to play:

Any game with a In-game store

Heres to the old school purchase the game, pay a subscription fee,and building your character from playing the game. And for the love of god bring back community!  Any true gamer will tell you, they arent looking to throw 15 minutes into a game, they are looking to throw 15 years into it.

Yup pay to win is realy fustrating and the games have a lower buget (ussualy) for development. However there are some amazing games out with a in game store like... errr GW2 is all i can think  of but hey theres 1! I did enjoy the neverwinter beta as well. Mostly I agree with OP and most of my time is spent playing sub games

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Originally posted by BahamutKaiser
    Can a Moderator plz close or merge this thread?, it's already negative and it's already been raised here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379805/Richard-Garriott-I-think-most-game-designers-really-just-suck.html

Yes, lets keep this in one thread please.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.