Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Impression

124»

Comments

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by GGrimm
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Once the little bugs and annoyances are fixed, NWO has the sights to become a great game for a long time. As long as people keep trying to make better, more immersing and challenging content through the Foundry. Can't wait to see some people getting familiar and experienced with the dungeon editing tool, because even some of the beta dungeons were already pretty fantastic.

Yes. The more I think about it, the more I come to realize how the Foundry will be the lynchpin of Neverwinter's success.

i agree as what other big name MMO is coming out this year or next showcasing such a robust content creation tool? I have yet to see any

Right, but then I haven't seen a game with one really flourish either. COH and STO. Too many generic junk one's to wad through. I do like the idea, I just also see the issue with it as well. Sounds perfect, yet ain't. Hopefully someday.

this games foundry is much more indepth than past cryptics content creators not to mention id say the D&D setting will have a much wider appeal to people in the foundry sense than their past two outings... there simply has not been a MMO afaik with such a robust tool integrated so seamlessly into the game as this one

Right, but it still has to prove itself as good enough to make that industry statement. I got time, we'll see. I guess I'm just more grounded, I think my hype meter busted in the early 2000's.

• LateBrake1LateBrake1 Member Posts: 54

Regarding the rooted while action mechanism, that design choice is explained at 31:20  in the video

here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

Personally i very much enjoy combat in this game and the game overall.  PvP felt pretty good and based more on the skills u use and choose over who can circle straff better;

I think the game being free to download and free to play is a good choice and will allow many thousands to try it. IF u have confidence in your game u can do that. The game feels polished and will even become more so as it goes to launch. I do wish it was a little less themeparkish and more sandboxy though.

i expect this game will be somewhat of a sleeper hit and do better than most expect. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Sasami
    Originally posted by sofbert
    Originally posted by Elikal

Also it's unfair. Clerics can self heal, Rogues can avoid most damage with the Dummy and other stuff, but Guardian... phew trying to block away dmg was such a hassle, I simply failed at it, so I lost dmg like crazy and spent essentially ALL money on potions. So not funny. Similar with Wizard. And GWF too, if I slash this sword, I get dmg. No way to avoid it. And the rooted thing makes it ten times as hard to avoid damage.

Yeah i've been playing Guardian as well and while the look of the character is decent, I've run a few dungeons and the threat system is pretty horrible so far. I changed over to all the taunt abilities I had and i'm lucky if I have a boss chasing me for 20% of the time which leaves me feeling useless as a tank. 

Also, with guarding/blocking having that stamina bar which runs out fairly fast and no means of mitigation when it's out(not evne dodging) really makes me feel useless as I just take hits. 

I so agree. I felt so useless in dungeons since aggro simply doesn't work. Also in PvP i felt like ping pong ball since most classes seem to have some knockback skill that bounces you 20 feet away. Also got stun locked several times.

So minus list so far for me was:

-Messy group combat, no control due lack of aggro or structure

-PVP, stun locks, knockbacks, caster vs melee balance

-Lacking quests for enjoyable leveling, too few quests, linear questline for all classes

-Foundry quality not good so far

I feel like they are putting all eggs on Foundry basket, however so far quality isn't there.

I haven't analyzed it in detail, but my intuition tells me it's not some small stuff to iron out, but they really need to remake the entire frigging combat system. It just doesn't work for me at all, beyond "oh this and that details need ironing out". I mean, happy gaming to all who disagree, it's just how I felt about the combat.

Wrong. Just fundamentally wrong.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Byteboy

Regarding the rooted while action mechanism, that design choice is explained at 31:20  in the video

here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

Personally i very much enjoy combat in this game and the game overall.  PvP felt pretty good and based more on the skills u use and choose over who can circle straff better;

I think the game being free to download and free to play is a good choice and will allow many thousands to try it. IF u have confidence in your game u can do that. The game feels polished and will even become more so as it goes to launch. I do wish it was a little less themeparkish and more sandboxy though.

i expect this game will be somewhat of a sleeper hit and do better than most expect. 

I thought the combat was fun also, and the gameplay seemed good overall.  Pvp I'm more on the "it's bad" side of the fence currently.   I tried it, and it felt very off.  Not because of cc, but because of the overall balance and design.  Consumables are going to be pretty much mandatory, block seemed far too strong, heals seemed far too weak, and the pvp instance gameplay seemed pretty darned dull, the whole stand next to objective to cap mechanic is extremely tired at this point.

I don't know about it being a sleeper hit.  I hope it will do well, but being f2p I still see as a stigma for a lot of gamers, myself included.  Player created content is a great idea for a D&D game, but as others here have mentioned, unless they do a really great job of making it easy to navigate and find the content we'll like, the interface is going to get swamped and players will lose interest and drift away as usual if there's not regular additional developer-made content, which I would think would be higher quality anyway.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Totally agree with your post.  These are the main reasons I will not be playing either. 

I hate feeling locked in to playing a cleric (and thats exactly how I felt).  I enjoyed the cleric, but I like alts and this just isnt going to cut it.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I disagree with the HP regen that is weaksauce.  I prefer the hard mode awesomesauce, plan your attacks better, don't rush in. Kite more.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

- there are WAAY too few armor, clothing and weapon models. And they look way too primitive, sorry. Nothing to look forward to.

RUN SOME DUNGEONS...the gear in there is MUCH different than the gear you get from trash in the world