Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Impression

Comments

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Started in BWE #2 and my impression was, "Eh, decent for a F2P game." In BWE #3 my feeling was a general and resounding "Meh". Played to lvl 35 with the Cleric and played a GWF into the 20's, dabbled in the other classes...the game was starting to get boring and repeitious halfway through BWE #3. The biggest selling point to me is that it is F2P from the getgo, I just don't feel like investing much, if any, money in it. I do appreciate the fact that it is essentially fully F2P-able all the way through, but the Astral Diamond and Zen store prices are pretty steep.

• ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100

It seems you're reaching when one of your complaints is that it's"so yesterday". Unless you are, in fact, the flamboyant fashion critique-journalist you made yourself out to be.

Potion systems with no health regen are a valid feature - It's not shiny, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. Not all of us are so picky about newness.

• GGrimmGGrimm Member Posts: 49

I'm an old school pen-and-paper MMO'er and tend to favor sandbox / open world games, but got a chance to try the open beta this weekend and found it well... FUN.

Don't get me wrong, there was stuff about the game that I didn't enjoy much, but the core stuff was pretty fun. I played the Great Weapon Fighter (GWF) to level 24 and the Control Wizard to level 12 and enjoyed them both. Unlike some people, I didn't find fights that difficult and the main challenge running content was in trying to go through one of the "boss" fights without using any potions at all on my GWF. Most of the time I had to use 1 potion and had to use my "special" skill during the battle. I never bought a potion and had about 70 extras before the weekend was over.

Playing the GWF in PvP at lower levels could be a bit frustrating at times. I could never successfully solo a Trickster Thief because I would get skill locked and then insta-dpsed to low health or death. But as my level and health went up, it took longer to get killed and I gained some skills that allowed me to jump into or out of combat range quickly. That allowed me to put together some pretty good high-dps combonations and be fairly effective in my team group. All-in-all it was fairly enjoyable for what it was.

The thing I was and still am most excited about is the Foundry. I played through just a few of the content pieces made by other players and was impressed at the creativity. I don't recall the name of the scenario, but there was an incredibly clever one that I ran through where you start off playing a game of cards and end up on one of the planes of Hell. It all made sense within the storyline and actually reminded me of the kind of crazy AD&D campaigns you could get going back in my pen-and-paper days.

I honestly think Player Generated Content (PGC) + large open world/themepark enviornments will be next big thing in MMOs. It really bummed me out that the Neverwinter world was so instanced and small-feeling. Whatever developer figures out how to cleverly hook PGC into a huge, seamless MMO world is going to have some good success.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 402

It's kinda funny the way you put "combat breaks it for me" and then "the potion system just break it *for me*"

seems like you dont really know what you want and have to many easy mode ideals. Granted the game is not the New "wow" but my god people could you QQ, more about such little stuff as a potion system or god forbid you have a combat system that has rooting in it ....get over it.....its part of the game mechanics just like so many other games that have game mechanics we have to work with and/or around. W/e happened to taking a game at face value and running with it ...ohh yea i remember now a generation full of mine mine mine mememememememe faster faster faster.......

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Shol
    Originally posted by Skaioverride

Its a mediocre game with average graphic. Not too bad, but not good either.

I played a cleric till 25 and you really want to avoid this class if you look for a healer. Its lame range damage dealer with bad support and laughable healing ability.  Couple this with a broken target system for partymembers and yeah... forget it and get one of the npc instead.

I played a cleric til lv 22 and soloed dungeons a few levels above me with no problems, also with a party and in even played PVP just fine, without any of the issues you just mentioned. Maybe you never lerned to use it. 

You can't come it to this game and expect it to perform just like every other MMO before it. Also keep in mind Neverwinter is based on a (single player) RPG, not to mention the dungeon crawling aspects of D&D it self. So for what the game seemed to be aiming for, which is an old school multiplayer dungeon crawler based on D&D 4th eddition and set in Abeir Toril lore, i think they nailed it. 

And if you dont like it, there's always WoW...

Until lv 22 there was exactly 1  dungeon, 2 or 3 skirmishes and I kinda doubt that you soloed that. Or do you really want to tell me that soloing the lame missions or whatever is a feat? Any class can do that, its just a matter of spamming pots and a bit movement + npc healer.

Comparing NWN Online with D&D is just an insult. Maybe you should go and play some really old school rpg (even better pen & paper) to know what D&D acutally means. The 4th edition is a joke, a pale shadow of its former glory. And thats what NWN Online is.

That doesnt mean its bad, its just average in every possible way and in the cleric case the half baked copy of "true action combat"  breaks a lot.

Well i did solo it and died a few times, and the skirmishes were a bit tough with a party and all. I had the Man At Arms companion or what ever its called, but still the cleric had way too much agro. I'm just saying i did not have any of the issues that you stated. and those that i did encounter are easilly overlooked considering it still being just a beta test. If this where the state of the game a month after release then it would be a problem, otherwise, i cant wait.

Anyways, I've played my fair share of D&D 3.5 p&p and other d20 RPGs, and Neverwinter Nights, I've never played 4th edition actually even tho its better suited for this kind of game. 

Given all the problems and bugs here and there among other issues and taking into account that this was still a closed beta theres alot of room for improvement albeit a lot of potential, so far im loving it. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Animation lock - in an interview one of the designers of Tera was asked why they had animation lock for the special attacks. He replied that if there was no animation lock then players would be able to circle strafe the mobs with little chance of being hit back.

This is one of the things that a game designer has to consider and(it would seem) very few players do.

The gameplay and combat in Neverwinter was alright but it didnt feel as good as Tera's.

Im a big fan of Forgotten Realms and the recent Neverwinter novels but I dont really see myself playing this long term.

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

I played a cleric till 25 and you really want to avoid this class if you look for a healer. Its lame range damage dealer with bad support and laughable healing ability.  Couple this with a broken target system for partymembers and yeah... forget it and get one of the npc instead.

I played a cleric til lv 22 and soloed dungeons a few levels above me with no problems, also with a party and in even played PVP just fine, without any of the issues you just mentioned. Maybe you never lerned to use it. 

You can't come it to this game and expect it to perform just like every other MMO before it. Also keep in mind Neverwinter is based on a (single player) RPG, not to mention the dungeon crawling aspects of D&D it self. So for what the game seemed to be aiming for, which is an old school multiplayer dungeon crawler based on D&D 4th eddition and set in Abeir Toril lore, i think they nailed it. 

Until lv 22 there was exactly 1  dungeon, 2 or 3 skirmishes and I kinda doubt that you soloed that. Or do you really want to tell me that soloing the lame missions or whatever is a feat? Any class can do that, its just a matter of spamming pots and a bit movement + npc healer.

Comparing NWN Online with D&D is just an insult. Maybe you should go and play some really old school rpg (even better pen & paper) to know what D&D acutally means. The 4th edition is a joke, a pale shadow of its former glory. And thats what NWN Online is.

That doesnt mean its bad, its just average in every possible way and in the cleric case the half baked copy of "true action combat"  breaks a lot.

Well i did solo it and died a few times, and the skirmishes were a bit tough with a party and all. I had the Man At Arms companion or what ever its called, but still the cleric had way too much agro. I'm just saying i did not have any of the issues that you stated. and those that i did encounter are easilly overlooked considering it still being just a beta test. If this where the state of the game a month after release then it would be a problem, otherwise, i cant wait.

Anyways, I've played my fair share of D&D 3.5 p&p and other d20 RPGs, and Neverwinter Nights, I've never played 4th edition actually even tho its better suited for this kind of game. 

Given all the problems and bugs here and there among other issues and taking into account that this was still a closed beta theres alot of room for improvement albeit a lot of potential, so far im loving it. 

To enter the lv 15 dungeon I had to queue into some kind of dungeonbrowser and after some minutes we ended in a full party (filled with randoms) in the dungeon. How did you manage to circumvent the browser and enter the dungeon solo?

The aggro was a bug from this beta. Not very important, it will need some more tweaks in some numbers to get it right.

What you played will be the open beta game you will soon play and pay for. Beside some very minor tweaks nothing will be changed. Have fun with the horrible targetting system in parties or do you intend to solo in open beta and beyond too? Makes mmorpgs kinda pointless. I would suggest skyrim if you dont intend to join parties.

I will play Neverwinter a bit, but not with the cleric class. Probably with trickster, as this class was fun to play and worked as it should.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Elikal

TL;DR:

Neverwinter has the potential to be good and cool, but IMVPO it needs a lot of work yet and the daring to drop some D&D ideologies and become a more modern MMO. This ain't 1990.

Me thinks that is its strongest points,it didnt feel like scarlets blades,gw2 or swtors etc,it was something different,in a good way.

Let's internet

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Once the little bugs and annoyances are fixed, NWO has the sights to become a great game for a long time. As long as people keep trying to make better, more immersing and challenging content through the Foundry. Can't wait to see some people getting familiar and experienced with the dungeon editing tool, because even some of the beta dungeons were already pretty fantastic.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• GGrimmGGrimm Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Once the little bugs and annoyances are fixed, NWO has the sights to become a great game for a long time. As long as people keep trying to make better, more immersing and challenging content through the Foundry. Can't wait to see some people getting familiar and experienced with the dungeon editing tool, because even some of the beta dungeons were already pretty fantastic.

Yes. The more I think about it, the more I come to realize how the Foundry will be the lynchpin of Neverwinter's success.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GGrimm

Yes. The more I think about it, the more I come to realize how the Foundry will be the lynchpin of Neverwinter's success.

i agree as what other big name MMO is coming out this year or next showcasing such a robust content creation tool? I have yet to see any

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i agree as what other big name MMO is coming out this year or next showcasing such a robust content creation tool? I have yet to see any

It makes sense, but I can also say accurately, those content creation systems have not produced a major hit either. There previous efforts of the foundry, while nice, didn't have people from all corners flocking it. They have to get over the issue of quantity vs quality and limitations of said systems. We hope each iteration gets us closer, I am somewhat bullish that someday it will, but it will have to prove it. If this one fails, I would also consider having a foundry but not making it public but have say 50 outside sources that can make additional content. That way you can still have more new content than any other mmo coming out, but you can control who is making it, keeping quality high and easy to find. I do see this point as one that isn't talked about much, but could be a key ingrediant. It sounds great anyone can make a quest, but it comes with its own set of issues.

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54

To enter the lv 15 dungeon I had to queue into some kind of dungeonbrowser and after some minutes we ended in a full party (filled with randoms) in the dungeon. How did you manage to circumvent the browser and enter the dungeon solo?

The aggro was a bug from this beta. Not very important, it will need some more tweaks in some numbers to get it right.

What you played will be the open beta game you will soon play and pay for. Beside some very minor tweaks nothing will be changed. Have fun with the horrible targetting system in parties or do you intend to solo in open beta and beyond too? Makes mmorpgs kinda pointless. I would suggest skyrim if you dont intend to join parties.

I will play Neverwinter a bit, but not with the cleric class. Probably with trickster, as this class was fun to play and worked as it should.

I never said i soloed a dungeon, i soloed the PVE until i required a party. And I play however i want, I sometimes play with a cuple of friends, but we all have a life and cant be online all the time.

And about the beta..., well no shit sherlock, I could have sworn Neverwinter would end up being a space sim. And yes, I've worked in production and alot can change from here til release, the only factor is budget

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Even the foundry isn't gonna help this game IMO....

I'm sorry but there is just no way it has cryptic written all over it fun for a month maybe if that, and then never bother again.......

I don't understand why Cryptic always relases such shallow games......

Originally posted by nationalcity
    I don't understand why Cryptic always relases such shallow games......

I can't argue against this, I said it once, I've said it thrice now... They are seemingly lowering the bar on each release to see how cheaply they can get away releasing a game. Lisa Lapenelli of developers. That said, I like listening to Jack, I route for them, you always have a chance to redeem yourself each release and all of that. But yeah they are owning the mmo-lite market.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by fiontar

I completely agree with just about everything in your post.

I had some fun playing it, but it really comes accross as a clunky, very outdated title. If it had come out eight years ago, I probably would have loved it. In 2013? The game just doesn't cut it.

I can see myself playing it from time to time for a little bit of "nostalgic feel" gaming, but it's pretty sad that WotC/Hasbro decided to waste the ip on another developer that just could not deliver a game that could thrive in the time in which it is released.

The environments aren't bad, once you turn off post processing bloom and depth of field effects. The character models and animations would have been bad a half decade ago, now they are just laughable. Combat is clunky. No XP for kills, so quest grinding is the only way to advance.

In spite of it's blatant flaws, I still managed to find a little fun here, but with GW2 and the Defiance Beta demanding time from me this weekend, it just hasn't been compelling enough for me to play for more than an hour at a time, usually when the Defiance servers have crashed and I've been caught up on my GW2 dailies.

I think in the end it's just another typical PWE free to play game with a DnD wrapper. They will make money on it and it might become one of their more popular offerings, but it's a non-event in the AAA MMORPG space.

Its my favourite fantasy IP of alltime.. As said its a gameworld with 1000 shades of grey instead of Epic Good vs Evil..

I agree that they missed another chance of finally usong the potential that this IP offers. This IP deserverves to be brought to the greatness of the orriginal Everquest MMO, a world of freedom of choice, that allows you to be evil or Good or anything in between. That allows you to visit places beyound your wildest dreams.

A world of freedom, where you can become wathever you want and choose any direction you want.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

I never said i soloed a dungeon, i soloed the PVE until i required a party. And I play however i want, I sometimes play with a cuple of friends, but we all have a life and cant be online all the time.

And about the beta..., well no shit sherlock, I could have sworn Neverwinter would end up being a space sim. And yes, I've worked in production and alot can change from here til release, the only factor is budget

To sum it up, you had no clue what a dungeon is in this game and boasted that you soloed solo-content (lol). Thats kinda pathetic, but I should have expected something like this from a guy throwing the usual "go to wow yadayada" steroptype.

Anyway I wasted enough of my time with replies to you. Im out. Have a nice day.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I crossed another milestone in foundry.

Did any of you enjoy Phiarlan Enclave's Carnival Quest's story in DDO? That was my favourite. With new quest "Selunite Way" I can say I have made something similar. 

Next milestone is surpassing all the quests in DDO in terms of scripting.

"Selunite Justice" which I am making right now (on hiatus as am writing Foundry tutorials too) will be my next attempt which will have courtroom drama like "Judge Judy" or  the nintendo game "Pheonix Wright: Ace Attoney". Yes games like that can be made in foundry, and I am already in process of making it!

This will urpass the courtroom drama quest of NWN2 by miles!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by fiontar

I completely agree with just about everything in your post.

I had some fun playing it, but it really comes accross as a clunky, very outdated title. If it had come out eight years ago, I probably would have loved it. In 2013? The game just doesn't cut it.

I can see myself playing it from time to time for a little bit of "nostalgic feel" gaming, but it's pretty sad that WotC/Hasbro decided to waste the ip on another developer that just could not deliver a game that could thrive in the time in which it is released.

The environments aren't bad, once you turn off post processing bloom and depth of field effects. The character models and animations would have been bad a half decade ago, now they are just laughable. Combat is clunky. No XP for kills, so quest grinding is the only way to advance.

In spite of it's blatant flaws, I still managed to find a little fun here, but with GW2 and the Defiance Beta demanding time from me this weekend, it just hasn't been compelling enough for me to play for more than an hour at a time, usually when the Defiance servers have crashed and I've been caught up on my GW2 dailies.

I think in the end it's just another typical PWE free to play game with a DnD wrapper. They will make money on it and it might become one of their more popular offerings, but it's a non-event in the AAA MMORPG space.

Its my favourite fantasy IP of alltime.. As said its a gameworld with 1000 shades of grey instead of Epic Good vs Evil..

I agree that they missed another chance of finally usong the potential that this IP offers. This IP deserverves to be brought to the greatness of the orriginal Everquest MMO, a world of freedom of choice, that allows you to be evil or Good or anything in between. That allows you to visit places beyound your wildest dreams.

A world of freedom, where you can become wathever you want and choose any direction you want.

Agreed but until that happens I am content with a great little title that does alot of things right if your into certain game systems.  It does alot of things against the scope of what I consider a good MMO but for what its worth the things it does do it does an amazing job at.

Foundry has amazing potential and if your into small group dungeon crawls I doubt NWO can be beat.  For me this is the reason why I like it so much.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    The only negative thing I can say about it is that there isn't enough classes.  I know they're coming and all that, but as it stands right now, unless there's like 10+ classes at least, it's kinda missing out.  The stop combat is because you control wizard and cleric were mega overpowered in pvp.  They just ran around kiting melee.  Melee would get one maybe two hits in, and then they were out of range again.  Overall, for a beta, I like how it is.  It reminds me of DDO to some extent, and  I liked that game too :)

Well I have no scientific fact but if I was a betting man I would guess the Archer Ranger and the Scourge Warlock will come out at the same time Drow is opened to all.  So 60 days after launch, plus the devs already stated they intend on implmenting msot of the 4ed class frameworks in the game eventually.

Can't wait to play SpellSword and Battle Cleric personally.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by sofbert
    Originally posted by Elikal

Also it's unfair. Clerics can self heal, Rogues can avoid most damage with the Dummy and other stuff, but Guardian... phew trying to block away dmg was such a hassle, I simply failed at it, so I lost dmg like crazy and spent essentially ALL money on potions. So not funny. Similar with Wizard. And GWF too, if I slash this sword, I get dmg. No way to avoid it. And the rooted thing makes it ten times as hard to avoid damage.

Yeah i've been playing Guardian as well and while the look of the character is decent, I've run a few dungeons and the threat system is pretty horrible so far. I changed over to all the taunt abilities I had and i'm lucky if I have a boss chasing me for 20% of the time which leaves me feeling useless as a tank. 

Also, with guarding/blocking having that stamina bar which runs out fairly fast and no means of mitigation when it's out(not evne dodging) really makes me feel useless as I just take hits. 

I so agree. I felt so useless in dungeons since aggro simply doesn't work. Also in PvP i felt like ping pong ball since most classes seem to have some knockback skill that bounces you 20 feet away. Also got stun locked several times.

So minus list so far for me was:

-Messy group combat, no control due lack of aggro or structure

-PVP, stun locks, knockbacks, caster vs melee balance

-Lacking quests for enjoyable leveling, too few quests, linear questline for all classes

-Foundry quality not good so far

I feel like they are putting all eggs on Foundry basket, however so far quality isn't there.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Foundry concept doesn't fit all games but it fits nicely on Nevewinter. Hub based system, F2P and D&D lore. It's perfect combo for Foundry.

Right, but then I haven't seen a game with one really flourish either. COH and STO. Too many generic junk one's to wad through. I do like the idea, I just also see the issue with it as well. Sounds perfect, yet ain't. Hopefully someday.

Originally posted by gillrmn
    Did any of you enjoy Phiarlan Enclave's Carnival Quest's story in DDO? That was my favourite. With new quest "Selunite Way" I can say I have made something similar. 

Next milestone is surpassing all the quests in DDO in terms of scripting.

I do and will be good to see.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Right, but then I haven't seen a game with one really flourish either. COH and STO. Too many generic junk one's to wad through. I do like the idea, I just also see the issue with it as well. Sounds perfect, yet ain't. Hopefully someday.

this games foundry is much more indepth than past cryptics content creators not to mention id say the D&D setting will have a much wider appeal to people in the foundry sense than their past two outings... there simply has not been a MMO afaik with such a robust tool integrated so seamlessly into the game as this one

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg