Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did people support a Kickstarter project for a multimillionaire?

Comments

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Let's put it this way. People don't get rich without making smart moves like this. It's like Darwinism at it's finest, relieving certain 'people' of their money...
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Redemp

The entire kickstarter scene confounds me, it literally screams that people are bad with their money. Granted I am just as bad with mine, but at the very least the wastes I dabble in are all tangible at the end of the day. Why would anyone EVER give more than the box cost of a game? The in-game rewards? Most people can't look past tomorrow.

Ah well ... Yolo I guess , you know what they say about fools and their money.

Yeah I do agree on this point besides not been rich in principle I would not go for all those physical perks one factor is most Ks's are based in America so shipping is a point to be taken if you are the other side of the pond,but also only gone for sofware perks as In SC I upped my pledge to get a better free life time ship or Beta access as in Limit Theory.

So far I have mainly backed American Ks's as the rate to the pound is pretty good these are SC,Limit Theory,The Repopulation,Shroud of the Avatar pretty much 25 to 50 dollar range,only paid real stirling for Elite Dangerous and that was only 25 quid,so not exactly going nuts money wise but every penny counts in a campaign. image

p>
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Redemp

The entire kickstarter scene confounds me, it literally screams that people are bad with their money. Granted I am just as bad with mine, but at the very least the wastes I dabble in are all tangible at the end of the day. Why would anyone EVER give more than the box cost of a game? The in-game rewards? Most people can't look past tomorrow.

Ah well ... Yolo I guess , you know what they say about fools and their money.

Thank you, exactly.  If you want to support a company buy its products the end.  If you all have to much money and dont know what to do with it, send it to me i'll put it to use.  Hell for a decent contribution I'll even give you a real life cat pet, not one of those silly digital ones.

• rikwesrikwes Member Posts: 90

Giving money to a bloke who : 

- just won a $28 million lawsuit against NCsoft 

- already had enough cash to take a trip to space ( $30+ million ) 

is clearly a very daft thing to do  , unless you yourself are also swimming in it.....

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Because people know it will be a good game they want to play...

I guess this sums it up.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    How did Curt Schilling do putting so much of his own money into game development?
    Just like Tabula Rasa was a great game ? Or Auto assault ? It didn't take RG long  to abandon those games - and all players who paid for them with their hard-earned cash .In fact : when he split NCsoft did he sue them for any of those IP's , did he undertake any attempt whatsoever to accomodate his fans with all his cash ? No , he sued for money for himself ....
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I guess this sums it up.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Like seriously this is the same guy who spent USD 30 million to go to space and he can't afford 1 million out of his own pocket? If Garriott truly wanted to make this game like he says he would have paid for it himself with his vast fortune.

I think he's a twerp and I wouldn't give him a dime if I was drowning in money.

But to answer your question:

Many of these people feel a sense of nostalgia and want to bring back the good old days.

The want to feel that they're still a part of the worlds he creates and want to show support for him and his new game.

They're hoping he can make a game that they'll find fresh and new because so many games today are old and stale.

They'll get stuff and a sense of being a greater part of development as a reward for their contributions.

All these reasons are strictly emotional responses because cold hard (cynical) logic dictates he's just a greedy opportunist trying to enrich himself at the expense of others. Logic isn't the point though. The emotional reasons are no less valid for the people who embrace them because they're not being logical. It's about hope. Even though I don't share their enthusiasm I can certainly understand it.

You're missing the "EA factor". Many gamers gladly support these KS campaigns for the sole purpose of bypassing (and sticking it to) the big gaming corporations. For the first time we get to see what a major game designer (same goes for Mark Jacobs) manages to create without suits breathing down his neck.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Like seriously this is the same guy who spent USD 30 million to go to space and he can't afford 1 million out of his own pocket? If Garriott truly wanted to make this game like he says he would have paid for it himself with his vast fortune.

Is the current trend all over the place.They simply figure there are a ton of really dumb people willing to toss them money,so why not take it.Even Warner Bros is jumping in on the act with a new TV series/movie.

This might actually be a REAL bad gimmick for an industry already bent on finding new ways to get money from gamers.it opens the door to allow devs to start offering bribes or special perks depending on how much money you give them.it creates a system where all players are not treated equally.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I guess this sums it up.

How do anyone know that it will be a good game? Is there some fortune teller out there saying so? Heck, there may not even be a game.

I think it is just that people are gullible and are willing to pay for a promise. KS is the new era of snake oil salesman.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Kickstarters for these big names is just free money.. kickstarts should be fore small no names... just abusing the public .. with the shit games they will make anyway.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jetrpg
    Kickstarters for these big names is just free money.. kickstarts should be fore small no names... just abusing the public .. with the shit games they will make anyway.

"small no name" don't make shit games?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

It depends on whether you approach kickstarter as a charity or as a consumer decision where players attempt to collectively buy something into existence/

If it's a charity, then sure, it makes no sense to support someone who is already rich.

If it's a form of consumer democracy - choosing between pitches to influence what the next generation of games will be, then the wealth of the people behind the pitches doesn't matter.  All you have to ask "is it something I want?  What are the odds that this project will actually suceed?  And what difference is my money making?"

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Kinda think the kickstarter in this case is a tool to judge community reaction to his project.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

He probably saw what happened to Curt Schilling and decided to let someone else go broke instead.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Theocritus

He probably saw what happened to Curt Schilling and decided to let someone else go broke instead.

Difference: Garriott knows how to build a game. Shilling does not. Curt should have becone a used car salesman, like most other washed-up, unemployed ball players. He was out of this league (no pun intended) the moment he founded Green Monster Games.

Indeed : You can't compare Schilling to Garriott because the former was simply a game-player who turned into an investor.There's another -far more basic - difference : Schilling was a "believer "or idealist who was so convinced the projects he financed would be not only a financial success but also success as a game . And he was willing to bet everything on those projects . That might be naive but it also shows he was honorable . He didn't GAIN anything at all when the projects failed ,in fact he lost just about everything he had . Garriott hasn't completed any project succesfully since the Ultima days  and he has gained  cash with each failure .To top it of he scored a nice $28 million  by getting fired by the company he basically failed ( not to mention the fans he let down  very rudely and inconsiderate )  . That $28 million was in addition to severance pay and salary he got from NCsoft ,mind you . And here - and on other forums - I actually see folks feeling  sorry for this guy. That's simply astounding .I have far more respect for Schilling who stuck with it until the very end ....

Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Difference: Garriott knows how to build a game. Shilling does not. Curt should have becone a used car salesman, like most other washed-up, unemployed ball players. He was out of this league (no pun intended) the moment he founded Green Monster Games.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Bout the same as pre-ordering games these days especially from EA or Activision -cashes in his hipster points-.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Nail on the head. Kickstarter should have a law.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Varking

How did Curt Schilling do putting so much of his own money into game development?

Yeah... because Curt Schilling was a game designer. /sarcasm

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Eh, I can see the view of why spend money on it if he can afford it himself.  Or get investors.  But a kickstarter isn't all about needing the money, poeple can kick in money for perks too.  I think that's what it is about really.  Just a new form of pre-ordering in some cases.

That's exactly what they're doing.

Originally posted by wordiz

Eh, I can see the view of why spend money on it if he can afford it himself.  Or get investors.  But a kickstarter isn't all about needing the money, poeple can kick in money for perks too.  I think that's what it is about really.  Just a new form of pre-ordering in some cases.

Actually, he shouldn't even get investors. Garriot should use his own money. He wasted 30 million of Tabula Rasa's money on his trip to space, and he owes us.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by wordiz

Actually, he shouldn't even get investors. Garriot should use his own money. He wasted 30 million of Tabula Rasa's money on his trip to space, and he owes us.

If you have a problem with the company that owned the publishing rights and apparently caused the kerfuffel, according to the courts, then take it up with them, who knows, the courts might agree that you have some kind of rights to the game... but don't hold your breath, I'm betting you agreed to NCsoft's TOS. 

As for the money, it's pretty obvious he used his own money to fund his trip since the judgement occurred after it so couldn't have had anything to do with it.   I understand that some people resent those who have more than them especially if they seem to flaunt it, but the fact remains it's theirs, not yours, so unless you personally lost 30 million because he took a personal trip to space that apparently NCsoft had had plans initially to capitalize on, then tough luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabula_Rasa_%28video_game%29

"Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa was an MMORPG developed by Destination Games and published by NCsoft, designed in part by some of the creators of Ultima Online including Richard Garriott."

"Richard Garriott sued NCsoft for $24 million dollars[35] for damages relative to his termination from the parent company NCsoft.[36] Garriott's allegation states that NC Soft terminated his employment, then fraudulently reported his termination as willful resignation in order to preserve the right to terminate Garriot's stock options unless he exercised them himself within 90 days of termination, forcing Garriott into a decision to purchase stock with which a loss was incurred worth dozens of millions in profit for Garriott. Additionally, the news of the termination was issued while Garriott was confined to quarantine from the space flight, which was originally intended to be a publicity move to further promote the game and increase revenue. In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCsoft, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. NCsoft stated that it intended to appeal the decision.[37][38] In October 2011, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the judgment.[39]"

"

Richard Garriott announced(my edit: see above for whether he really did) that he was leaving NCAustin and Tabula Rasa in an letter was in fact written by NCsoft as a means of forcing him out. The announcement was made while Garriott was in quarantine after returning from his spaceflight in October, and the announcement claimed he was inspired by the space travel experience to pursue other interests.

On 21 November 2008, weeks after Richard's announcement, Tabula Rasa's development team also released an some rewards, including paid time on other NCsoft titles (any paying subscribers joining after that point are ineligible)."
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Garriott is like .... kevin trudeau if you know who I am talking about, and if you ask me ... 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    According to this thread's logic, Bill Gates should have used his own personal $$$ to make Windows rather than the money available from the company Microsoft.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.