Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I Will Never Play WoW Again, But Im Still Tempted At Times!

I was never addicted to wow. I first played on a normal server and go to level 35 and I quit, I remember I was stuck at a part but I just thought to my self, "what is the point of this game"? I then played on private servers 3 times, each time I quit within 3-4 months getting bored of the game. Overall, I would say I logged about 400 hours on WoW.

What I really like about this MMO is the lore and it has the best looking world ever. The down side is it has the typical MMORPG gameplay and the graphics are not so great. Im leaning toward not playing this again, there are better MMO's in development that are more innovative. Games like Firefall which look like it will have diverse enviornments, a lot of people hate that game now but it might be good when its finished. DarkFall Unholy Wars and Black Desert Online look amazing, Project Titan is also in development. I just don't think WoW is worth playing anymore. MMO's are starting to change and WoW will die off slowly and probably go free to play 7-8 years from now once Project Titan overshadows it.

Comments

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    So after 15-16 years of action WoW will go F2P.  No point in playing!...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Imperator101

I was never addicted to wow. I first played on a normal server and go to level 35 and I quit, I remember I was stuck at a part but I just thought to my self, "what is the point of this game"? I then played on private servers 3 times, each time I quit within 3-4 months getting bored of the game. Overall, I would say I logged about 400 hours on WoW.

What I really like about this MMO is the lore and it has the best looking world ever. The down side is it has the typical MMORPG gameplay and the graphics are not so great. Im leaning toward not playing this again, there are better MMO's in development that are more innovative. Games like Firefall which look like it will have diverse enviornments, a lot of people hate that game now but it might be good when its finished. DarkFall Unholy Wars and Black Desert Online look amazing, Project Titan is also in development. I just don't think WoW is worth playing anymore. MMO's are starting to change and WoW will die off slowly and probably go free to play 7-8 years from now once Project Titan overshadows it.

"What's the point of this game?" could be said about every game there is. Even board games.

What's the point of all MMOs? To pass a lot of free time, escapism, sense of achievement, immersion (which WoW does achieve if you read everything and talk to NPC's and stuff), to get a cool looking avatar, to progress in power, to compete against other players, to PvE with other people, to have FUN etc.

If you don't want to play WoW then don't play WoW. Don't convince yourself that playing another MMO has more meaning in life though, because it doesn't. The point of them all is exactly the same.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    The only reason im tempted to play is because I want to see how the story ends with Garrosh.
  • Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    Playing an MMO that is skill based has more meaning then generic wow. The only reason why I am so tempted to play WoW again is because I really like the Lore and it has the most diverse enviornments out of any MMO ever made, except for Everquest 1. The major downside is the typical MMORPG combat that is gears/talent based instead of skill based, the world can have great graphics if you have the graphics macro activated but the NPC/Player models still look dated.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    Playing an MMO that is skill based has more meaning then generic wow. The only reason why I am so tempted to play WoW again is because I really like the Lore and it has the most diverse enviornments out of any MMO ever made, except for Everquest 1. The major downside is the typical MMORPG combat that is gears/talent based instead of skill based, the world can have great graphics if you have the graphics macro activated but the NPC/Player models still look dated.

Some areas of the game require very little skill.  But others do require some.  Otherwise everyone would be a "Kingslayer" or "Battlemaster" or whatever the new titles are.  i think the graphics have aged just fine.  the player models look dated because they are 8 years old.  but,  as others have suggested if you dont want to play it then don't.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Skill in gaming is something I'm really not interested in - I'd rather improve another skill with the effort and time I'm putting in.

What I'm looking for in a game is immersion, lore, discovery, imagination - pretty similar to stuff I'm looking for when I'm reading a book, actually. :) 

So what I look for in my MMOs is having multiple ways to relate to the gameworld. Good story and lore, exploration, the possibility of coming up with new, imaginative ways of doing stuff, or doing stuff you never thought was there in the first place. The ability to set different goals for yourself: Weaving that special spell, crafting that special item, completing that book collection to get the whole story, catching that elusive fish, getting to that secret zone using situational spells and rare buffs....

In MMOs combat becomes a means to these ends for me... If I feel the game is about nothing but combat I quit in a few days.

I know people say WOW is just a gear grind, but I've found it's quite rich in this regard - making it possible to set many different goals for yourself. Actually it's the only reason I spent several years in that game.

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131

Well if WildStar Online ends up not being that good then I will probably go back to WoW. I quit after level 35 on Retail WoW because I just got bored of it, though I was stuck at a part but I think I was just doing quests and fighting Orc NPC's beyond my level with a yellow and orange difficulty rating, I knew I was to but I still quit. I also played on 2 private servers, one of them being very similar to Retail WoW except with less raiding instances and I quit both within 3-4 months because I got bored of the game.

I guess WoW just gets very repetitive. The PVP is not skill based and is all about what attacks you use/your talent build and gear. WoW does have 106 Dungeons/Raids that are Level 80+ and up so maybe WoW does not get repetitive since there is so much variety in terms of the number of Dungeons/Raids at high level. You could go back to one you have not been to in a long time and it would feel new. Still, the PVP does get very repetitive since the game is not based on skill so much, there are never any memorable moments.