Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard Announces HearthStone CCG Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment took to the main stage at PAX East to announce the latest game to be added to its stable: HearthStone Collectible Card Game. HearthStone is set in the Warcraft universe and includes 3D graphics and familiar characters and abilities.

Here's what we know:

• Team 5: Very different, 15 developers, smaller than the SC team. Old School team of scrappy and versatile devs with multidisciplines. Experimental. Doesn't rely on building new tech. Need different type of games. What is the game we'd make?

• et in the Warcraft universe, make it something anyone would play. Collectible card game, free to play game, Blizzard's first.

• Earn or buy packs. Around $1 as it's being tested at the moment.

• 3D graphics, fully active game board. We want the game for WoW players to be really intuitive. If you're used to playing a mage, you can quickly and intuitively play the game.

• Dynamic opening of packs with glows, sound effects. Players can build their own decks.

• Online game, cool abilities, etc.

• What can I play it on: Windows, Mac, iPad

• Beta this summer, release this year, playable at PAX right now

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    a CCG...seriously.? Way to milk the hype of titan to sell garbage no one wants Blizzard.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Wow, Blizzard is pulling out all the stops *cough*.

Who wants to bet this is going to be interfaced with Facebook?

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    a CCG...seriously.? Way to milk the hype of titan to sell garbage no one wants Blizzard.

How was itmilking hype of Titan when they were saying for last montht hat it was absolutely nothing to do with Titan, that it will be tied to an existing IP but will be just different take on it they haven't done before? I mean... Really? I'm not big fan of Blizzard, but it's not their fault you ignore what they are saying....

Also I like CCGs. I wanted themt o just make PC version of their actual phsyical TCG but seems they went with completley new ruleset instead. It's fine. I will have fun with it. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Online Card Game....seems kinda like an oxymoron to me.....But I know folks that play MTG online.....Yes, sometimes I think they too are morons.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Umm what? did they ever gave a hint that their annoucement at PAX will have anything to do with TITAN? or it is just wishful thinking of players as usual and setting themselves up for disappointment? i think it is later.

Blame yourself for making up imaginary scenarios in your mind that PAX annoucement was going to be about Titan.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• LurianarLurianar Member UncommonPosts: 61
    People expected All-Stars. I also expected it; but to have something like this... I'm disapointed. Oh well.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Doesn't  blizzard already HAVE a CCG based on the warcraft universe? This is kinda stupid to make a product to compete with your own product. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Freedom4u2
    People expected All-Stars. I also expected it; but to have something like this... I'm disapointed. Oh well.

Why people would expect a "new announcement" of something that's already been announced long ago ? o.o

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

nothing about titan . as expected.

only uninformed ppl expected blizzard to talk about titans.

i honestly dont expect any word on titan coming blizzcon either.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    I've played the MTG games on PS3 and liked them well enough but didn't care much for the characters or lore so I will probably play this at some point, it's not like it's going to be anyones main game is it?

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Doesn't matter what it is Blizzard is bad and evil and everything they do is a lie. They are at fault for everything that is wrong with the world today.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I must admit I was super dissapointed at the announcment at first, I've no real interest in CCG, but I have warmed to it a little now, it's not like Blizzard have stopped developing their AAA games or have taken resources away from their big budget titles.  And hey I was no all that in MMO before WoW and WC was my first real look into RTS so is this my way in CCG's?
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I was actually excited for a minute untill I read the part about buying card packs.  Then all the scam crap of cash shops came flooding up in my mind and my brief peak of excitement dropped out from under me and I fell back into my normal pit of cynicism.

Christ, I miss the days when we just paid a flat fee for our games and that was it.  None of this crap about competing to see who is willing to pay the most money for the most power.  I'd love to see a CCG online where the pve side of it is going around to collect cards from various monsters and the like.   But why do that when they can just put them in a cash shop and charge you money for each card.  And then make the old cards obsolete every few months by adding EXCITING, NEW, BETTER, MORE POWERFULL CARDS which you simply MUST HAVE (for a fee of course).

F that. 

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

I was actually excited for a minute untill I read the part about buying card packs.  Then all the scam crap of cash shops came flooding up in my mind and my brief peak of excitement dropped out from under me and I fell back into my normal pit of cynicism.

Christ, I miss the days when we just paid a flat fee for our games and that was it.  None of this crap about competing to see who is willing to pay the most money for the most power.  I'd love to see a CCG online where the pve side of it is going around to collect cards from various monsters and the like.   But why do that when they can just put them in a cash shop and charge you money for each card.  And then make the old cards obsolete every few months by adding EXCITING, NEW, BETTER, MORE POWERFULL CARDS which you simply MUST HAVE (for a fee of course).

F that. 

Thats what F2P is all about.

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by expresso
    I must admit I was super dissapointed at the announcment at first, I've no real interest in CCG, but I have warmed to it a little now, it's not like Blizzard have stopped developing their AAA games or have taken resources away from their big budget titles.  And hey I was no all that in MMO before WoW and WC was my first real look into RTS so is this my way in CCG's?

no.

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    It's probably going to be a really long wait for Titan.  Why compete with yourself and draw your own subbing customers over to what would probably have to be a BTP or FTP game?
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Wait...what? How on earth were they "milking the hype of Titan"??

"Its not a sequal, expansion, or rumared next gen MMO" - Blizzard during their initial press release about PAX weeks ago, not to mention the game being free to play.

TCGs are pointless imo, but the blizzard blind rage is reaching a new lvl on these forums lol.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by nuttob
    It's probably going to be a really long wait for Titan.  Why compete with yourself and draw your own subbing customers over to what would probably have to be a BTP or FTP game?

Why was anyone expecting Titan? They stated weeks ago that they would not be annonucing a new MMO...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

F that. 

That is the CCG model...has been for years. MTG calls it "Blocks", I think they release 3-4 a year, it is the reason I don't play.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

F that. 

New to the genre?

CCGs have always been rip-off, cash cows.  their very nature is to exploit their players with overpriced packs in search of powerful cards, and new editions every so often with even more powerful cards.  CCGs have always been for people willing to spend hundreds.

At least Blizzard is making the packs MUCH cheaper than standard.

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

F that. 

New to the genre?

CCGs have always been rip-off, cash cows.  their very nature is to exploit their players with overpriced packs in search of powerful cards, and new editions every so often with even more powerful cards.  CCGs have always been for people willing to spend hundreds.

At least Blizzard is making the packs MUCH cheaper than standard.

Blizzard having cheaper prizes than other cashgrabbers? ...Well I'll be damned!

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    Tell you what, it'll be very interesting to see who makes the better CCG here, Notch (Scrolls/Minecraft) or Blizzard. I could get into this, card games *can* be very fun, online just means actually being able to find people to play with.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I'm actually excited about this, mostly because of the pricing model.  MTG's clunky interface and absurd prices kept me from enjoying it, and if this game gets popular, I could see myself battling other players all day long.

The one thing I'm not thrilled about is mac support over consoles, and ipad but no android.  Bliz has some strange love of apple that makes no sense.  Get with the times guys.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    blargh got error, double posted, woot.