Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are no raids... can you live with that?

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Quorina
    Originally posted by Quorina

Since people are talking about WoW, I would not say that the majority of players raid. That is a complete fallacy. I guess on some servers like Illidan or Stormrage a lot of people raid but on my old server, Moon Guard, it was estimated that only about 4% of people were seeing raid content, IF that. It was a RP server, true, but most people didn't even RP either. It was also the second most populated sever after Illidan. Sorry to inform you, but raids are not the driving force behind WoW's popularity, but its casual pve content. Achievements, dungeons, LFR, mount collecting, pet collecting, scenarios, etc. I am not saying you are willfully ignorant, but you are still wrong. I am willing to bet you play/played on a very heavily raid centric server.

Personally I've raided in WoW since Vanilla up to Mists of Pandaria (worst expansion EVER), when I quit the game.  ESO doesn't have to have raid content to get me to play, as long as it has other PvE content to enjoy. If it is PvP centric you can forget it. That's one of the things that made me quit playing GW2. I am not against having PvP content, but I do not play heavy PvP games like I used to. I am 32 and simply do not have the twitch reflexes that I used to have. I will still enjoy PvP content on a casual basis, though.

I DO agree with other posters though, that raids should NOT have drastically better gear than other activites if they were in the game. Early Cata, for example, dungeons were extremely difficult to learn and master. So were raids, but they were about equally difficult compared to the dungeons. Yet the dungeons granted really crappy blue gear while the raid gear was unequivically better. Drastically better. I didn't see how this was fair, and I was a raider.

A lot (but not ALL) of raiders are extremely elitist and like to think they are special snowflakes. So many of them think that ALL purple gear is raid gear that should be gated behind raids only. "Why do you need raid gear if you don't raid?" was extremely common among the mouth-breathing elitists. Hated it.

just my two cents

you're 32 not 64 get a grip man. gw2 is more pve focused than pvp, the reason i left gw2 was because the wvw was terrible.

People start losing their twitch reflexes in their late 20s, early 30s. It's just not the same as when I was a teen or in my early 20s. I know I'm not 64. where it will be a lot worse :P

I played GW2 for a couple of weeks when it released and it was definitely more PvP centric than otherwise. The major thing to do back then when hitting 80 was WvWvW. That might've changed since I last played, but the bad impression was already there.

Really? Bernard Hopkins just won a world boxing title at 48. I think your reflexes will be ok for gaming for sometime yet.

Citing exceptions to the rule doesn't further your argument.  I stopped playing twitch games back in my late 20's.   Partly because I was tired of them and wanted to try something new, RPGs and partly because I couldn't react to things like I used to as a teenager.  Now in my mid 40's, it is even more exagerated and twitch combat is even more frustrating and annoying than ever.

I believe that if Zenimax wants to stick with their current design philosophy, which is first and foremost to make an Elder Scrolls game that appeals to Elder Scrolls gamers, then that would mean placing an emphasis on game mechanics other than raiding and it would appear that their intent is to replace raiding with RvR content.  Whatever they end up doing, they have already stated that many different paths of progression are included in the game and have verified that whether you group, solo, craft or PvP, you will be able to attain equitable loot progression from any of these paths.  So, even if they do decide to go down the raiding path, raiders may not like it anyway as they will be forced to share the uber loot.

My point is if a 48 year old man can box at a world class level, i'm sure you being 32 will be able to play twitched based video games for awhile yet. It's all in the mind anyway, it's not like your hands move independently of your brain.

One, you are assuming people age the same way.  Two, you are assuming people's tastes remain the same as they age.

Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Genadi

Hard content demands that you group together and form thos social aspects.  Easy content allows you to be anti-social and play by yourself.

That is such a ridiculous statement and so incorrect in so many ways. If you don't see how it's not my place to explain, I would only suggest play some more mmorpg's and do your homework before you post such dribble.

What? Teamwork=socialization. Last I checked easy content does not promote it, and infact is often worse off with teamwork, for a variety of reasons.

No, it's the fact that you guys think that solo / casual gaming is the antithesis of socializing and that is incredibly ignorant.

• elohssaelohssa Member Posts: 38

Hard content demands that you group together and form thos social aspects.  Easy content allows you to be anti-social and play by yourself.

That is such a ridiculous statement and so incorrect in so many ways. If you don't see how it's not my place to explain, I would only suggest play some more mmorpg's and do your homework before you post such dribble.

What? Teamwork=socialization. Last I checked easy content does not promote it, and infact is often worse off with teamwork, for a variety of reasons.

No, it's the fact that you guys think that solo / casual gaming is the antithesis of socializing and that is incredibly ignorant.

No its 100% fact.  You aren't socializing by yourself, duh.  Faceroll dungeons never need any sort of communication, not even chat FFS.  Nevemind REAL communication like on voice communication programs.   Everyone you play with are strangers, and forgotten with 5 seconds after leaving the group.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should watch a fraps of LFR in WOW prior to the loot fix.   It was like watching starved cage beast fight over meat. 

Originally posted by Caliburn10

I didn't say people should be on the same footing - read it again.

The guy with the Bentley PAYS MORE - less hardcore players pay the same as 24/7 players. It's financial suicide for a game to be built around the hardcore minority.

I am proposing a game which caters for both types of players - with the hardcore getting stuff much sooner and casuals much later. With visual differentiation in there too - that's all the advantage a compromise on this issue is capable of delivering.

I would never describe people who play mst f their waking hours as 'strong' - and casuals are the majority of customers with generally more money due to having more involved jobs etc. It's plain crazy for a comany selling smethng to ignore them.

Bad players, casuals with little time etc. will still get to raid if thy can organise it, but won't face the hardest challenges and will progress slower - just what is wrong with this?

It is worlds better than people leaving a game frustrated because of gated content they can't even see except on Youtube...

Its the perfect in game system.  The casuals would never go for it though because they are at their core entitilist.  They would rather see this game devolve into just another obscure mmo than to submit that time, effort, and group coordination should yield more results than farming ore. 

They would like nothing better than just another wow clone permalocked on mickey mouse mode, and no real end game to speak of.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by elohssa
    Originally posted by Caliburn10

I didn't say people should be on the same footing - read it again.

The guy with the Bentley PAYS MORE - less hardcore players pay the same as 24/7 players. It's financial suicide for a game to be built around the hardcore minority.

I am proposing a game which caters for both types of players - with the hardcore getting stuff much sooner and casuals much later. With visual differentiation in there too - that's all the advantage a compromise on this issue is capable of delivering.

I would never describe people who play mst f their waking hours as 'strong' - and casuals are the majority of customers with generally more money due to having more involved jobs etc. It's plain crazy for a comany selling smethng to ignore them.

Bad players, casuals with little time etc. will still get to raid if thy can organise it, but won't face the hardest challenges and will progress slower - just what is wrong with this?

It is worlds better than people leaving a game frustrated because of gated content they can't even see except on Youtube...

Its the perfect in game system.  The casuals would never go for it though because they are at their core entitilist.  They would rather see this game devolve into just another obscure mmo than to submit that time, effort, and group coordination should yield more results than farming ore. 

They would like nothing better than just another wow clone permalocked on mickey mouse mode, and no real end game to speak of.

Thats a rather broad brush you are painting with there... I could just as well say that raiders are at their core, control freaks, who have tied their self worth into achievements in a video game... Neither of course, would be the truth.  Some so called "casuals" are suffering from a serious entitlement complex. Just as some raiders, are total control freak, nut cases.

But I'd say that many of both groups are just looking for entertainment, not a second job.  But entertainment is different things to different people.   I fell off of the raiding band wagon years ago. I lack the patience and extended focus required for it.  I also gave up on heroics.  Which means that I tend to do the normal dungeons a few times (to see the content) and then go play something else.

The new scenarios are one of my favorite parts of 5.2.  They are actually fun to me, and the reward box allows me to at least partially gear up my characters.  Which gets them ready for the next expansion, when ever that comes out.  Then the gear grind starts all over again.  But thats the nature of these games.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

No its 100% fact.  You aren't socializing by yourself, duh.  Faceroll dungeons never need any sort of communication, not even chat FFS.  Nevemind REAL communication like on voice communication programs.   Everyone you play with are strangers, and forgotten with 5 seconds after leaving the group.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should watch a fraps of LFR in WOW prior to the loot fix.   It was like watching starved cage beast fight over meat. 

Maybe you don't and you should look into that, but when I solo, I am constantly chatting and running into people and interacting with them via chat or run by buffs and heals or temporarily helping with combat.  There's the whole crafting dynamic that is solo oriented, yet completely social dependent.  If anything is killing social aspects of a game, it's the switch to fast paced action combat, which makes it physically impossible to communicate via keyboard while adventuring solo or grouped.

By the way, you have to show some real proof before you start spouting stuff like 100% fact.  It's one thing to say something is likely to happen as a result of something else and it's quite another to jump on your soap box and screaming "Facts" at the top of your voice.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by kidas52
    So you want another purely PvP focused game to last 6 months and fail again??  How does other people being able to raid and not ever PvPing in their entire game life affect you?

I'd rather a fun game that only lasts 6 months, than a dull-as-snot game that lasts 10 years.

And I'd like to believe raiding content doesn't have negative affects on the rest of the game, but precedent hasn't been kind to that notion. 

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by KaosProphet
    So you want another purely PvP focused game to last 6 months and fail again??  How does other people being able to raid and not ever PvPing in their entire game life affect you?

I'd rather a fun game that only lasts 6 months, than a dull-as-snot game that lasts 10 years.

And I'd like to believe raiding content doesn't have negative affects on the rest of the game, but precedent hasn't been kind to that notion. 

Yah, thats why most people are against raiding, but its so ironic that "raiders" are so selfish and only thing i see from them is "I" "me", only concerned about themselves and nobody else that play the game or rest of the game.

Maybe you don't and you should look into that, but when I solo, I am constantly chatting and running into people and interacting with them via chat or run by buffs and heals or temporarily helping with combat.  There's the whole crafting dynamic that is solo oriented, yet completely social dependent.  If anything is killing social aspects of a game, it's the switch to fast paced action combat, which makes it physically impossible to communicate via keyboard while adventuring solo or grouped.

By the way, you have to show some real proof before you start spouting stuff like 100% fact.  It's one thing to say something is likely to happen as a result of something else and it's quite another to jump on your soap box and screaming "Facts" at the top of your voice.

That is not socializing...  I actually feel bad for you after reading that...

Originally posted by tintilinic

Yah, thats why most people are against raiding, but its so ironic that "raiders" are so selfish and only thing i see from them is "I" "me", only concerned about themselves and nobody else that play the game or rest of the game.

Raiding is crucial for making new content for you too...  If its not in the game, it can't last.   You won't get new content, if they dont get money. 

The casuals have ruined every single potential MMO since WoW.   You make up the masses, and the devs cater to you and it always ruins the game.  You end up with some easy mickey mouse wow knockoff that isn't even worth more than a couple months of your time. 

That is not socializing...  I actually feel bad for you after reading that...

No, I feel sorry for you for having such a narrow and jaded view on what is and is not socializing.

Buffing random peple =/= socializing at any level

Crafting is solo =/= socializing at any level

Helping random peple with solo content =/= socializing at any level

Random chat in general to random people  is barely socializing.  This is little better than buying things on the AH.  Thats how low the bar you just set is.  If this is the only socializing you experience in an mmo, then you are a loner.

How in the heck is fast paced combat stopping socilizaing?  You can always stop between mobs and chat if you want. Nothing is stopping that.  Unless you want to stop and chat in the middle of a fight, in which case you are asking them to make the game so stupidly easy that half the people can chat instead of play the game.

If this is your vision of an MMO, then its honestly quite pathetic, and a sure fired recipe for failure.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Random chat in general to random people  is barely socializing.  This is little better than buying things on the AH.  Thats how low the bar you just set is.  If this is the only socializing you experience in an mmo, then you are a loner.

How in the heck is fast paced combat stopping socilizaing?  You can always stop between mobs and chat if you want. Nothing is stopping that.  Unless you want to stop and chat in the middle of a fight, in which case you are asking them to make the game so stupidly easy that half the people can chat instead of play the game.

If this is your vision of an MMO, then its honestly quite pathetic, and a sure fired recipe for failure.

Chat between mobs?? You are new to modern MMO's aren't you? ^^  No time to stop! Go! Go! Go!... ^^  <face palm>

The social aspect has to my experience been rather limited for years now.  But thats ok, I'm not in these games for social interactions. Thats what my family and RL friends are for.  I especially dislike vent, because so few people have any concept of communications discipline.  Nor much discipline in general, for that matter.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Chat between mobs?? You are new to modern MMO's aren't you? ^^  No time to stop! Go! Go! Go!... ^^ 

The social aspect has to my experience been rather limited for years now.  But thats ok, I'm not in these games for social interactions. Thats what my family and RL friends are for.  I especially dislike vent, because so few people have any concept of communications discipline.  Nor much discipline in general, for that matter.

New to modern MMOs?  If they are modern, then by definition everyone is new to them.... So yah, what does this mean?

What is it you guys want?  A fight so easy you can have tea and crumpets in the middle, as you talk about the weather in chat?  Maybe pretend you are troll, and do some lame ass role playing?

No social spects in recent mmos.  Well of course there isn't, you are a casual, and you play casual mmos.  Casual mmos don't require co-op as they are faceroll easy, thus you aren't required to actually socialize with other players.  Challenging encounters require you to talk to other players.

Communication discipline?!  What i s that?  If you get in vent with douchebags, then you leave.  Its that simple.  FInd a new mature guild. 

You are clueless and it is obviously pointless to argue with you any further.  If you cannot or will not see that interacting with people in an online game in a positive manner is a fulfillment of the social contract, then nothing is going to persuade or convince you.

You are clueless and it is obviously pointless to argue with you any further.  If you cannot or will not see that interacting with people in an online game in a positive manner is a fulfillment of the social contract, then nothing is going to persuade or convince you.

I can chat in D3, but it doesn't make it an MMO or give the same MMO experience.  Chatting with strangers is socializing, but its the absolute bare minimum interaction possible.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Iselin

No, no instanced raids but they have talked in several interviews about the "Adventure PVE zones" that will have solo, group and "raid-sized group" content.

It's funny how "instance" is a dirty word around here... except when talking about raids apparently. What the adventure zones sound like to me is a retro PVE kind of place that will play like the early MMOs before the instanced raid formulas were invented.

I'm looking forward to that.

Except those retro pve areas are garbage in pretty much every game. Supposedly Daoc was the last one to "do it right" but even that I honestly doubt.

DAoC did it pre-WOW. I remember the first one in Albion... a dragon raid that would pop-up every few hours...word would go out...people would come running... the FPS dropped to 1 frame every 5 seconds... not sure how right it was image

GW2 gave it a good shot too with several end-of-chain large group events in all zones. Some are fun, otherrs not so much. "Garbage" is a highly-biased subjective opinion... I would say "hit and miss."

I'm curious to see how Zmax does it.

Why not just call them open-world raids?  That's what they are. EQ1 and  EQ2 has them.  WoW has them.  GW2 has them.  etc.  And yeah, it gets annoying when people think "instances" are dirty.  Instanced dungeons were created because of all the pitfalls of open-world content, such as; griefing, mob-tagging, lag, trains, etc.

Raiding is crucial for making new content for you too...  If its not in the game, it can't last.   You won't get new content, if they dont get money. 

The casuals have ruined every single potential MMO since WoW.   You make up the masses, and the devs cater to you and it always ruins the game.  You end up with some easy mickey mouse wow knockoff that isn't even worth more than a couple months of your time. 

Oh, thats the whole reason why ultra hardcore MMOs are doing so good. I mean all top MMOs are nothing but ultra hardcore.

Give us a break :)

There are games that cater to your needs. Those are ultra niche games. You know why are those ultra niche? Because thats how many people want to play them.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    As a non raider yes very much so.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by observer

No, no instanced raids but they have talked in several interviews about the "Adventure PVE zones" that will have solo, group and "raid-sized group" content.

It's funny how "instance" is a dirty word around here... except when talking about raids apparently. What the adventure zones sound like to me is a retro PVE kind of place that will play like the early MMOs before the instanced raid formulas were invented.

I'm looking forward to that.

Except those retro pve areas are garbage in pretty much every game. Supposedly Daoc was the last one to "do it right" but even that I honestly doubt.

DAoC did it pre-WOW. I remember the first one in Albion... a dragon raid that would pop-up every few hours...word would go out...people would come running... the FPS dropped to 1 frame every 5 seconds... not sure how right it was image

GW2 gave it a good shot too with several end-of-chain large group events in all zones. Some are fun, otherrs not so much. "Garbage" is a highly-biased subjective opinion... I would say "hit and miss."

I'm curious to see how Zmax does it.

Why not just call them open-world raids?  That's what they are. EQ1 and  EQ2 has them.  WoW has them.  GW2 has them.  etc.  And yeah, it gets annoying when people think "instances" are dirty.  Instanced dungeons were created because of all the pitfalls of open-world content, such as; griefing, mob-tagging, lag, trains, etc.

Uh, no. Instances were created by bad designers would needed a bandaid for their bad game.

No instances were needed in DAoC. And griefing? Its just as likely to happen in the open world, but people don't scream to instance the entire game, do they? And lag was NEVER a reason for instancing.

Instancing was the beginning of the end for the MMO genre. It has never once been necessary in a game that was designed properly.

Chat between mobs?? You are new to modern MMO's aren't you? ^^  No time to stop! Go! Go! Go!... ^^ 

New to modern MMOs?  If they are modern, then by definition everyone is new to them.... So yah, what does this mean?

What is it you guys want?  A fight so easy you can have tea and crumpets in the middle, as you talk about the weather in chat?  Maybe pretend you are troll, and do some lame ass role playing?

No social spects in recent mmos.  Well of course there isn't, you are a casual, and you play casual mmos.  Casual mmos don't require co-op as they are faceroll easy, thus you aren't required to actually socialize with other players.  Challenging encounters require you to talk to other players.

Communication discipline?!  What i s that?  If you get in vent with douchebags, then you leave.  Its that simple.  FInd a new mature guild. 

see, thats where you fail completely: you cannot discern what is "social" and what is "anti-social"

theres no such thing as "forced socializing". Theres already a term for that: anti-social. Its the most asburd concept people like you bring up all the time.

Bringing old concepts back to life will not happen. Why? because those died for a reason.

You know why all WoW clones fail? They bring nothing new in the core to the table. Staleness kills them, not absence of dead concepts (those would actually only speed up the process)

Theres no AAA MMO that will cater to you. The sooner you make peace with that, the sooner your games of choice will be more in line with your needs.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

see, thats where you fail completely: you cannot discern what is "social" and what is "anti-social"

theres no such thing as "forced socializing". Theres already a term for that: anti-social. Its the most asburd concept people like you bring up all the time.

Bringing old concepts back to life will not happen. Why? because those died for a reason.

You know why all WoW clones fail? They bring nothing new in the core to the table. Staleness kills them, not absence of dead concepts (those would actually only speed up the process)

Theres no AAA MMO that will cater to you. The sooner you make peace with that, the sooner your games of choice will be more in line with your needs.

I thought all the WoWclones failed and the reason I didn't play them longer than a month was because they tried to clone WoW, but didn't deliver even half of it. I mean, all have focused on stealing the WoW-casuals (who don't have a need to quit it) instead of the tens of millions who used to play wow for years and are looking for a similar game, which is quite a large percent in those million account you see at every wowclone release. But I guess you are the expert.

Most of the people who jump on these wowclones in every few months don't want to play mmorpg's that only offer barely a month of gameplay total, which is what they always end up getting from those pro AAA's in the last 5 years. And that's what they will probably end up getting from ESO.

Oh, thats the whole reason why ultra hardcore MMOs are doing so good. I mean all top MMOs are nothing but ultra hardcore.

There are games that cater to your needs. Those are ultra niche games. You know why are those ultra niche? Because thats how many people want to play them.

There aren't any hardcore mmorpg's on the market that aren't 10+ years old titles and which aren't below the AAA standards (eve is the only one and that one is doing damn well, but I wouldn't really even call eve hardcore, it's only hardcore on the time requirement, nothing else). Not because there isn't a market for them, but because publishers don't want to take risks with their millions of dollars when they can simply milk the average player crowd, rememer that if you make a hardcore game for only hardcore players and you make it unappealing to the hardcore, then who the hell is going to buy your product, most of the failure projects just attempt to appeal to everyone, but fail to do so resulting them to appeal to nobody - i mean a beef,chocolate,majonaise,milk,cherry,vodka mixed coctail is just dung. If a quality hardcore mmorpg with permadeath would come out that would actually deliver, it could be as large as WoW without any doubt, because there are hundreds of millions of people out there already who have played or would play mmorpg's, but there just isn't enough choice. Like for instance, mmorpg is my favourite game and WoW was my favourite mmorpg, but I would rather play no mmorpg's at all for the next 20 years than play something that's under my standards or requirements. I won't ever even set my foot in the trashbin that it is now.

Like WoW for instance changes its entire wow playerbase with pretty much each expansion with a new one. There is a market for those ~10 million people (random number) who quit wow every 2 years, but most of that market won't want to play any games again that meet the same standards as the wow from which they quit.

You know, let me make you an example. When Camelot Unchained will come out, let me tell you. It will have about 2-4 million people buying it at the release. Most of them will be players who loved DaoC or just couldn't play it at the time, but loved the gameplay and concept. And you know what? If the game won't deliver as they did with DaoC or will just anyhow make a shit product, people will stop playing it. Easy as that. And the game will be marked as failure. Does that mean that there is no market anymore for DaoC players? NO. IT MEANS THAT THE GAME WAS JUST CRAP.

When I played PC games at 90s, I don't know how many titles there were total, but I sure know that about on average (I pirated ofc) I could play pretty much 5 new releases every day for like 6 years straight (this ofc included all the pre90s games). About 80-90% of those games were just garbage. They might have had good production value, but they were just bad. Now these days we have like 10-100x less releases (random value) and you know what? The percent of crap games still is exactly the same as it was 10-20 years ago.

Who in the heck said 'forced socializing'?  Just you...

I know what anti-social means, thanks.  It has nothing to do with forced sociliazing.  Anti-social behavior is a mental disorder in which people withdraw themselves from contact and communication with other people. 

What old concepts?  Speak english, please.  I am guessing you mean raiding, but its completely unclear.

They failed because they catered to the masses, aka casuals, who don't know what they want.  They think they want a mickey mouse faceroll mmo, and every dev has oblidged and delievered just that thus far.  However, after a few months the masses quit because they get bored, and the game fails.   Any unbias source will tell you the same thing. 

No one has even come close to copying the model WoW used for success and making a true wow clone.  If they had, then that game would be sitting pretty in 2nd place with a healthy subs base.  ESO has the chance to do this, but only if they don't cater to the casuals again.

PvP in an MMO Is a niche market. 

You know what you are right.  The true MMO fans are going to have to make a stand.   We are just gonna have to nudge the devs in the right direction!  I am going to try to make sure this happens, and I am going to get everyone I can to spam the official forums with this issue constantly to ensure they get the message.

Thx for the idea.

Originally posted by Vembumees

I thought all the WoWclones failed and the reason I didn't play them longer than a month was because they tried to clone WoW, but didn't deliver even half of it. I mean, all have focused on stealing the WoW-casuals (who don't have a need to quit it) instead of the tens of millions who used to play wow for years and are looking for a similar game, which is quite a large percent in those million account you see at every wowclone release. But I guess you are the expert.

Most of the people who jump on these wowclones in every few months don't want to play mmorpg's that only offer barely a month of gameplay total, which is what they always end up getting from those pro AAA's in the last 5 years. And that's what they will probably end up getting from ESO.

There aren't any hardcore mmorpg's on the market that aren't 10+ years old titles and which aren't below the AAA standards (eve is the only one and that one is doing damn well, but I wouldn't really even call eve hardcore, it's only hardcore on the time requirement, nothing else). Not because there isn't a market for them, but because publishers don't want to take risks with their millions of dollars when they can simply milk the average player crowd, rememer that if you make a hardcore game for only hardcore players and you make it unappealing to the hardcore, then who the hell is going to buy your product, most of the failure projects just attempt to appeal to everyone, but fail to do so resulting them to appeal to nobody - i mean a beef,chocolate,majonaise,milk,cherry,vodka mixed coctail is just dung. If a quality hardcore mmorpg with permadeath would come out that would actually deliver, it could be as large as WoW without any doubt, because there are hundreds of millions of people out there already who have played or would play mmorpg's, but there just isn't enough choice. Like for instance, mmorpg is my favourite game and WoW was my favourite mmorpg, but I would rather play no mmorpg's at all for the next 20 years than play something that's under my standards or requirements. I won't ever even set my foot in the trashbin that it is now.

Like WoW for instance changes its entire wow playerbase with pretty much each expansion with a new one. There is a market for those ~10 million people (random number) who quit wow every 2 years, but most of that market won't want to play any games again that meet the same standards as the wow from which they quit.

You know, let me make you an example. When Camelot Unchained will come out, let me tell you. It will have about 2-4 million people buying it at the release. Most of them will be players who loved DaoC or just couldn't play it at the time, but loved the gameplay and concept. And you know what? If the game won't deliver as they did with DaoC or will just anyhow make a shit product, people will stop playing it. Easy as that. And the game will be marked as failure. Does that mean that there is no market anymore for DaoC players? NO. IT MEANS THAT THE GAME WAS JUST CRAP.

When I played PC games at 90s, I don't know how many titles there were total, but I sure know that about on average (I pirated ofc) I could play pretty much 5 new releases every day for like 6 years straight (this ofc included all the pre90s games). About 80-90% of those games were just garbage. They might have had good production value, but they were just bad. Now these days we have like 10-100x less releases (random value) and you know what? The percent of crap games still is exactly the same as it was 10-20 years ago.

You are quite right about one thing. Theres no mixing of hardcore and casuals. Either you make game for one or the other, theres no middle ground.

And since there are not enough hardcores to support a AAA MMO. Pretty simple. EvE didnt start out as an AAA MMO, it started out as indie project. Do you know how many played EvE at start?

Who in the heck said 'forced socializing'?  Just you...

I know what anti-social means, thanks.  It has nothing to do with forced sociliazing.  Anti-social behavior is a mental disorder in which people withdraw themselves from contact and communication with other people. 

What old concepts?  Speak english, please.  I am guessing you mean raiding, but its completely unclear.

They failed because they catered to the masses, aka casuals, who don't know what they want.  They think they want a mickey mouse faceroll mmo, and every dev has oblidged and delievered just that thus far.  However, after a few months the masses quit because they get bored, and the game fails.   Any unbias source will tell you the same thing. 

No one has even come close to copying the model WoW used for success and making a true wow clone.  If they had, then that game would be sitting pretty in 2nd place with a healthy subs base.  ESO has the chance to do this, but only if they don't cater to the casuals again.

PvP in an MMO Is a niche market. 

You know what you are right.  The true MMO fans are going to have to make a stand.   We are just gonna have to nudge the devs in the right direction!  I am going to try to make sure this happens, and I am going to get everyone I can to spam the official forums with this issue constantly to ensure they get the message.

Thx for the idea.

1. Forced socializing is all you talk about

2. No thats not anti-social

3. Its plain English. Concepts that you have to play 10 hours/day to get anywhere, lack of almost any content hidden behind extreme idiotic grinds of same exact stuff over and over again. One thing i love is when people say "EQ filtered all those "not worthy" to play!". Well it filtered out too well, theres was pretty much noone playing when alternatives started to pop up. Just as any hardcore MMO out there.

4. WoW is still strong because it changed over the years, not because its same vanilla WoW

5. They all copied WoW model but it never worked for anything besides WoW, its pretty basic: those who want WoW play WoW

6. If PvP is niche, raiding (hardcore raiding) is ultra niche, its costly to make for almost no return, this is not 2000 when that was a novelty, its 2013 and most people now see that devs were only were fooling around with them, those games werent designed for fun but for milking 15/month in very transparent way.

7. Great, it will be fun to watch, i suggest you start your own project then and get AAA funding. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.