Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: A Hard Look at Trion’s Gamble

12346»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Calling this game a sandbox clearly shows you have no clue what the word means in a game setting.  Maybe you should read some of the common threads on this board about what a sandbox is, there are some good discusssions.
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Played the beta this weekend it was in but I got bored after a while. It was run here kill x and then move on. Not sure if they want craftin or other things but it felt like a light version of auto assault/tabula rasa meets call of duty style game play. Good luck folks that like it.
  • erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

I've not played this game, although, I am going to buy it and see for myself.

I see people trashing the game. They're complaining about this and that but it seems they've forgotten this is a beta. Games in beta always have problems. It does not mean the game will be this way when it goes live.

Anyway, I do hope it turns out well. It can't be any worse then Swtor and it's money starving devs.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by uller30
    Played the beta this weekend it was in but I got bored after a while. It was run here kill x and then move on. Not sure if they want craftin or other things but it felt like a light version of auto assault/tabula rasa meets call of duty style game play. Good luck folks that like it.

This is what most MMO's are about. Go kill X amount of things here and X amount there.

I did like Auto Assault, unfortunately, this game is not like that as the vehicles don't have weapons on them. I only wish.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    The game looks great and looks very sandboxy and the graphics are epic. Its so realistic. I'm going to preorder, I'm just having a problem from where do I preorder? steam? gamestop?

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    The game looks great and looks very sandboxy and the graphics are epic. Its so realistic. I'm going to preorder, I'm just having a problem from where do I preorder? steam? gamestop?

Im actually leaning towards going with Gamestop myself. Theyve got a pretty damn good deal with their Ultimate Edition. $150 for a package that includes basically everything that comes with the $100 Digital Deleuxe version everywhere, s well as a Gamestop exclusive weapon, 1200 bits (cash shop credits), art book, hellbug statue, cd & dvd, etc and also includes a Season Pass which alone is $40. Just the Digital Deluxe + Season Pass would runy ou $140 anyway, might as well shell out the $10 more an dget all the extra physical stuff, exclusive weapon, and some extra cash shop credits.

Full details are:

Defiance Ultimate Edition GameStop Exclusive

• Defiance Messenger Bag
    • Game box and disc
    • Hellbug Statue
    • Art of Defiance Art Book
    • Defiance Soundtrack and Bonus DVD
    • VBI Contact
    • Two Defiance post cards
    • Digital Items:
    • 1,200 Bits
    • Ark Hunter Infiltrator Outfit
    • Hydra Heavy Weapon
    • Retailer Exclusive weapon
    • VBI Sentinel Shield
    • 7 Day scrip boost
    • 7 Day XP boost
    • Lock Box
    • +5 Inventory
    • In-game title: Badlands Drifter
    • 1 year Season Pass

Bonus!

Pre-Order Defiance and receive the GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE WEAPON SporeShot Free!

The Sporeshot is the king of personal bio-warfare weapons. Utilizing a VBI designed viral loading chamber, the Sporeshot will inject your enemy with experimental flesh eating bio-organisms. Fire and feast with the Sporeshot. 

Bonus!

Pre-order Defiance and receive the Red Dodge Challenger Car!

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by uuu001
    [mod edit]

Rift was a lot better than most other games released around the same year. I actually think Trion did a great job with rift that I think they will do with defiance once they sort out a few small issues. 

• prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35
    Everyone seems to be saying the same thing. Game looks good but UI looks bad! I played around for 2 days in beta the UI was difficult at first, then realized what am I doing? So I plugged my xbox360 controller in to my PC and BAM! Amazing game with amazing UI. Its real worthy of controller gameplay dont let anyone get you down saying the UI is crap because as long as you weild a controller for the missions your set. Now PvP you will need your mouse and keyboard... but make sure you leave your controller plugged in case you want to quit the game :)

haha presto!

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The game is a linear quest grind.

The character build options are extremely limited.

I don't find the shooter combat mechanics to be very good in that there is no sticky cover and jumping as well as dodging is very clumsy.

The combat is extremely easy. Being able to rez yourself when you die makes death almost irrelevant.

The stoy is the same old tired cliches and very boring.

Its obvious this game is designed to cater to extreme casuals who are just looking to run around and mindlessly shoot things.

There is no depth at all, not really worth 60 bucks.

• prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35

This game gets very hard the more you play into it. Players are able to res themselves once then its on cooldown, so you dont wanna waste your 1 res close to a spawn point. It is nice to see a third person shooter / fps with some options as to how you want your perks to be setup ofc there is not much in it but it is there. You can cover behind almost anything in the game then peek out for firing, you are going to need to use this later game as it gets VERY hard. To take out some of the bosses you are really going to need to use some teamwork.   Dodging in the game looks crappy yes, its nice that it is there when you need it still, but it does still need work.  I have played a great amount of firefall and borderlands and such games. Defiance so far has been an amazing play comparing to other mmofps.   All in all Ill just have to play through the game to see firsthand how it will be out of the first 2 continental areas.

I didnt do much PvP in the game but what I did, I had to unplug my 360 controller and actually use the mouse and keyboard or its no contest  :)  PvP was wildly fun in the game. 

haha presto!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

The game reminds me of Global Agenda a bit, just more freedom and more PVE content. So far on steam 99 percent to get reward 1

Edit: Reward 1 on steam is unlocked.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What are all these redeem codes i see,there are lots of them.I see a Dodge Charger as pre order.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

I played in 2 of the betas including this last one.

The first time I played it I only played for 2 hours because I got such bad vertigo from the FoV I was sick for 2 days after.

I was wary to give it another go this round and was happy to see they fixed it enough that I didn't puke. NOTE: I normally have zero issues with vertigo in games.

As to Bill's article: I agree that the music is aggrivating, but I think it's not bad, it's just the fact that the loops are way way to fracking short. If you go to the menu then afk with the speakers on, you'll soon rush back to the PC to mute it before you want to kill yourself.

The graphics do look dated, but I'd rather a game perform well than be all shiny.

The guns do function as you'd expect, and I really like the recoil in the game. I've played countless hours of Tribes and TF2, Halo, and Planetside and I have to say in comparision the guns feel really good.

The UI is atrocious, like rediculously bad. There is no highlighting of important elements and it's hard to find the tiny buttons at the bottom of the screen. Things are labeled such that you're confused by their intent. Some things are labeled in ways MMO players will not understand since we are used to a lingua franca that's been established for 10 years or more. The idea that they ignore what other games who are successful have done speaks volumes to how much in a vacuum this was designed.

The thing I COULD NOT stand about the game was the lack of agency I felt. Things popped up in the world at random times regardless of my actions or the collective actions of the players. Sure the dynamic rift events (arkfalls) scale and are spawned sometimes due to populations in certain area, but all the tiny dynamic missions like recuing medics respawn almost immediately.

You look at the map for active quest and see one main quest icon somewhere in the distance seperated by all these Red Faction Challenges and "side missions" on the map. You feel lost and without purpose. You may feel like, well I want to go east as far as I can go to unlock the map, but that will do you nothing as you NEED to go back to do your main story line or nothing will open up. There is so little direction (and I'm sorry but some well voiced machina scenes are not enough to push a player forward in this day and age when we can satisfy that need through superior forms of media that are dedicated to doing that) that you feel like your actions mean nothing.

The game feel very similar to Red Faction, a game I really enjoyed. But this is Red Faction meets Farcry where the constant repawning at checkpoints frustrates the frack out of you because as I said earlier you have no real agency (affect on the game world). You have some control over your abilities and equipment, but the extremely limited pack space (based on your level/EGO points) forces you to discard items you'd really like to sell but can't because you'd lose those cool weapons and mods you want to keep. So basically you only make Scrip/cash from mission rewards.

And really other than cosmetics there's nothing to spend your scrip on anyways. The limited-time sale items at the vending machine are almost always worse than what you find as drops. Not to mention that you get uber drops from the get go so you don't feel like you need to try to get better gear (a main reason people play MMOs). Even if they drop the MMO moniker it's still a MMO.

Also your gear makes practically zero difference in any combat. The TWO key factors are your skill at 3PS games and how much ammo you have. And that's it. The EGO skills have some effect but they are like Mass Effect abilities where they are really just fancy weapon replacements. You could argue that going Stealth to recharge your shields isn't an attack but the outcome of using the EGO powers are the same. Use your guns, or use your guns and EGO abilites to kill mobs. Where are the abilities for when you're not in combat? And if the game is just combat, then no thank you. I'll stick to Tribes or other dedicated shooters where I can play first person.

All in all it's an exciting concept and I hope it does well so more of these productions can see the light of day, I just feel like they missed the boat by a parsec by ignoring the importance of community and player agency.