Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cannot believe how critical gamers are these days

2»

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by epiyonrpg

- It's truly not the game that is boring, it is yourself. You could have an infinite amount of fun in a video game, doesn't matter how bad it is, it just depends on how you interpret it yourself.

Wtf? Doesn't matter how bad it is? Of course that matters. Everyone has different aspects they find entertaining in this genre. If a game doesn't meet those or garner to those wants then obviously the gamer isn't going to enjoy the game.

...and of course gamers are going to be more critical now. There are a hell of a lot of mmos today compared back to "the good 'ole days" for gamers to compare and spend their time playing.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by cura

- It's truly not the game that is boring, it is yourself. You could have an infinite amount of fun in a video game, doesn't matter how bad it is, it just depends on how you interpret it yourself. Boring game is not boring, gamer is bored.

Strange becouse i dont have this problem with books. I dont remember when i read a book that bore me to death like most games. 

The problem i see is your low standards. You said games criticism disgusts you. I say people like you who accept medicority disugust me.

If most games bore you, then don't play? If games are boring for you, maybe, just maybe, you don't like playing games? But you say you enjoyed games in the past? Well, then you have moved past games and so they are no longer fun. It is THIS simple. It is overcritical jaded old school "gamers" like you who are the root problem of all this QQ.

I agree with you OP! I think the problem might be that these "30+" old school gamers have just got bored of games in general. And they haven't realised that this happens to a lot of people. As people get older, they get bored of playing games.

Totally agree with this. I don't really see myself as a gamer much anymore because games just don't do it for me now. For years I was disappointed with new releases that didn't give me what I got from them before and in the end it dawned on me that it's not the games as much as it's me. And I'm not just talking about MMOs, it's all games. I still play them from time to time but only for an hour or so before I get bored.

There's a whole world of cool stuff out there, if games ain't doing it for you give it a go. You might be surprised how much more fun riding a bike down a hill is compared to key-spamming a room full of pretend baddies can be. Stop moaning that game companies don't entertain you anymore and take some responsibility for your own leisure time.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by cura

- It's truly not the game that is boring, it is yourself. You could have an infinite amount of fun in a video game, doesn't matter how bad it is, it just depends on how you interpret it yourself. Boring game is not boring, gamer is bored.

Strange becouse i dont have this problem with books. I dont remember when i read a book that bore me to death like most games. 

The problem i see is your low standards. You said games criticism disgusts you. I say people like you who accept medicority disugust me.

Are you kidding...there are 100000s of medicore fantasy books that have the same lame plots rehashed over and over. I can't count the number of times I've put one down part way through and just not bothered finishing it.

So should your low standards for books sicken me ? or is the problem my standards for books have become too high ? Who's the one getting more enjoyment out of reading these books ?

When it comes to entertainment do higher standards really get you anything in the long run ? If you're entertained and have fun isn't that the point ?

Or possibly he reads about the books, or talks to others about them before he reads them, maybe some he hears about don't suit what he thinks is a good book so he doesn't read it, when others are discussing the book he tells them it's not his kind of book for certain reasons. Of course if the OP was part of that discussion he would go off on a rant about how you should buy any book you see and if you don't enjoy it it is because of a personality defect and how dare you criticise it.

Or is it possible that he doesnt read all that many books. I read a helluva a lot.. I constantly have an audio book ready for falling asleep to (not that they are boring, cause that would upset me and keep me awake) and I read atleast 3 books every month.  There are about 25 books every month that I sample and decide not to read or listen to. Some are poorly written, some are poorly narated, and some seem  boring. Most are just too short for the price. And some I start and I just get sick of and toss after a while because the reasons I just listed, but where it wasnt immediatly obvious that it was a boring load of cover stuffing. Granted.. most of those books would have been fine on their own.. but when its the 10th book by the same author and its the same old wierd explicit sexual fantasies the author is writing.. fuck it.. get to the action. Screw you, Anne Rice. And screw you, Jean M. Auel for dragging up the same damn issues in every book and feeling the need to rehash every conflict from the first book to the last and having only about 20 pages of new stuff in a 500+ page book..

And Im sure many will find, what I just wrote, fairly annoying to read.. since it has single spacing and no paragraphs.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

For sub games eg. WoW,

($15/month * 8 years) + (all Xpacks * $60) = $1000+

I payed over $1k for a single game, damn right I'll be critical! To counter fanboys and fangirls, Zelda 1, Dragon Warrior 3, FF 1, 4, 6-8, (not 9 imo) 10, Pokemon and Yugioh, all still have replayability for substantially lower cost.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

[mod edit]

Are you a dev?? You're logic applies to teaspoons too. You can eat with them, shovel sand, measure sugar, spread peanut butter., throw 'em.....wheeeeeee! Ima sub one for $20/month!

So you're complaining about complaining? Blah blah blah...........when you were young, you had to walk uphill to school in 10 feet of snow, then uphill again to get home............

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

I can literally fell the nerd rage throughout this thread.

lol

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Dexter2010

[mod edit]

Are you a dev?? You're logic applies to teaspoons too. You can eat with them, shovel sand, measure sugar, spread peanut butter., throw 'em.....wheeeeeee! Ima sub one for $20/month!

So you're complaining about complaining? Blah blah blah...........when you were young, you had to walk uphill to school in 10 feet of snow, then uphill again to get home............

If you don't like games, don't play games. There's loads of other things to do out there. Take some responsibility for your own free time, stop demanding deogame developers to do it for you.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Gamers are more critical because we've been getting really terrible MMOs for the last 8 years.
  • Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

I agree with the OP up to a point. However a few simple facts have to be pointed out:

1)These forums are here to present opinions. The fact that trolling battles occur just testifies to the fact that people feel strongly about gaming and cannot always agree with each other. Semantics is a massive problem since people often go on for pages arguing the same point since everyone's understanding of terms differs (i.e. what is sandbox? what is free to play?) On and on these discussion go. Learn to ignore these, or jump out at the right time. 

2) People who hang around on the forums here are not in any game atm, otherwise they would be playing it (vocal minority?)- This is kinda like me, I try game after game trying to enjoy my time and sink myself into the games. Problematically thought I dont seem to get my immersion fix from the current crop of games so I wonder back onto these forums to bash on GW2 (promises vs expectation vs reality) and to see if there is something new that I have not tried. 

2)Recent games have not been really all that exciting, and alot of people are getting really annoyed that they cant seem to get themselves stuck in (bring on the flames against the casuals who seem to love it) 

3)I give props to all games that have done well by me(on the forums)and I try to justify it. For me in the last year it has been SWTOR for awesome single player, TSW for awesome innovation of genre, PS2 for doing some awesome things for the mmofps genre (even though their technical support and optimization is shit), PoE for wiping the floor with D3 and making Blizzarrd look like a bunch of unoriginal sissys that they are. 

All in all, people who love their games dont come here to share (rarely). This site is geared towards discovery of new games so disussions are natural and I dont blame people for being cynical/burntout.

If you want to enjoy this website you generally must avoid the "hype" and "GW2" threads - so atm it would be the ESO, Neverwinter and GW2. 

My 2 c 

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Leave gaming for 5 years. Come back. Basically what I've done. I just think games have become too easy/linear/main stream. It's funny, but gaming I believe was much more enjoyable when it was "nerdy" (pre 2000?). Now, every a-hole is online playing video games and the IQ level has plummeted to cater.

I mean they are patching games a week after release because people complain it's TOO HARD! HA! These extreme casuals bother me to (the phone playing people) who are starting to get loud and the industry feels they have to cater to them. I don't even see the appeal of playing mobile games. How do people have time for that, but not when they get home?  I guess it's good for taking a shit, airpline, car ride or something.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Dude i ALWAYS READ OP ALWAYS... NEVER SAY ALWAYS

I didn't read it why ?

This easy i cannot find an mmo to play for more than a month or two that has been made in the last few years, they are boarind tiersome and trash.

Eve i been on agian for like 3 months but i play like maybe 4 hours a week.

So over critical i think not i played daoc FOVEVER EVERY NIGHT OVER AND OVER AGIAN, WOW A BIT LESS  but still A TON.

SWG alot, these old mmos had somethign to them , new ones boring sleepy time.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I can't share your perspective. Yes, many here on this forum seem to be very critical. A few points I feel need to be remarked, however:

- are we here really representative? I guess not. I guess, we are rather the nerdiest of the nerds, so not really representative.

- What difference does it make, if we rant but buy the games nonetheless?

- Given how games got more streamlined and often more boring as well, I guess the general critical view is to a degree quite justified.

- As someone here said, money these days is harder to come by, and games are not really cheap. Take Sim City. It cost a FORTUNE, and it doesn't even work! I mean, savegames get lost. Still! How worse can it get? So people spent 80 Euro/Dollar on a game which doesn't work, I say they are quite entitled to be pissed!

- Finally and most important: People in such forums as this tend to take the good silently for granted but speak up when something doesn't work. I think that is fairly common and alright with me. But it tends to create a false image how negative people are, which they really aren't.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP......I think MANY company game company decision makers are extraordinarily ignorant about the experience level of today's gamer.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by vgamer
    Guess what? Money is harder to earn now. People have to work harder and get paid less. So it is only logical that people care more about value for money. Unless...

I remember 10 years ago when people wanne play AC2 they all keep asking for free trial so when free trial avaible tons of players keep playing free trial over and over again becouse not willing to pay for game or sub for 13$ a month.

So its not something from todays crisis many want everything free and fast and easy thats nature of majority.

Free easy get it all games they want:)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I disagree with the OP, what I see is, people are not willing to settle for mediocrity anymore with mmo's. They're stale, clonish, lazy money grabs the past few years. Mmo's of the past, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call all provide more fun than the average mmo of today. Sad that mmo's of today don't have even 1/4 of the fun those games had back in the day, heck even today.

Game companies need to stop trying to appeal to the Playstation/Xbox crowd and get back to making mmo's for the mmo customers.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The OP has paid attention to games over the last 5+ years?

If so what has been the trend?

FACT,most of the big named games come out with 1-2 million players,then within the first 3 months,some sooner,the retention rate becomes less than 20%,sometimes around 5%.

So does that say gamers should be positve and expect great game after great game to come out?

Yes it is a brilliant idea to try them first,but that is almost never possible,Betas are limited both in player count and content they release during Beta.Almost NONE of them offer a free trial out of the gate,usually ONLY after they already take your money and don't see anymore sales coming in.

I have an absolute huge array of games that i have played,so not much left for me to see.I also have a vast knowledge of how games are made.I know all about models and textures and music/sound files,bandwidth,latency,lihgting/shaders ect ect.

I have seen the poor effort.

Also in a video posted right here at MMORPG from PAX one of the devs put it simply.He said times are changing,we can no longer put in loads of content,he expects most developers to just go the pvp route and less content.

So does that tel lyou gaming is getting better?Not imo.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    MMOs ruined single player games for me. They just aren't the same after having a game with the depth and social aspects of an mmo.

Then Single player developers who thought they could outdo mmo developers ruined the mmo genre for me with their trite shallow theme park garbage.

Its a vicious circle.

I mostly don't complain about it anymore, I just refuse to spend money on 99.9% of the software shoveled onto the market, and buying a next gen console is out of the question. But I'm still looking forward to the occasional MMO release. Right now that's Archeage.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

People are overly critical these days, because they don't have extra money to spend an games they "might" like.
    Games with a box-price of $20-50 and additional costs in form of monthly subscriptions or another box-price for the expansions etc are real investments these days, which people are not willing to pay, unless they are 100% certain that this investment pays out, i.e. that they absolutely like the game.

That's the reason why F2P-titles are going strong these days, as people don't need to pay anything, if they don't like the game.

So go and blame the economy instead, which pays too low wages.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Elikal

- are we here really representative? I guess not. I guess, we are rather the nerdiest of the nerds, so not really representative.

(...)

What is your definition of a "nerd"? 

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by vgamer
    Guess what? Money is harder to earn now. People have to work harder and get paid less. So it is only logical that people care more about value for money. Unless...

Nail on the head. Money is not cheap, we need more for it.

We have tons of experience now to know what has been done and what needs to be done.

We have already played the major blueprint MMO's that everything is based off of and want something fresh to spark our excitement.

We have an appetite to explore a world, learn new systems, puzzle out complexities to move forward. New is exciting, same old is boring.

Games are boring not people, people just get bored and play games. 

WoW dried up the casual oil well and yet everyone is still trying to tap it and sell us on it will spew oil again. We need a new oil well full of innovation.