Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clan of the Cave Bear concept

AeolynAeolyn Langley, BCMember Posts: 326 Uncommon

I would love to see a mmorpg, sandbox style, with just enough lore/direction inserted to feed you the general story from this book series. 

Basically it could become the bridge between UO PreTram and WoW Vanilla worlds/gameplay that imo would breathe some fresh air into the mmorpg world, after all, when was the last mmorpg based on a world from prehistoric times where you slowly progress from an apocalyptic earthquake that has destroyed most of your world, living through a cro-magnon enslavement/adoption and then break free to find your own "kind" and go on to make a life for yourself and your clan in new lands and old?  That's right, never. 

For those of you who have seen the movie and thought it sucked, you're right, but the books are another kettle of fish, especially the first "The Clan of the Cave Bear"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_of_the_Cave_Bear

Anyway, if any devs out there are looking for new story concepts, here's one more. :)

Comments

• RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaMember Posts: 243 Uncommon
    This in an incredible read no doubt. I read the first three books over 10 years ago and absolutely loved them. 

• AeolynAeolyn Langley, BCMember Posts: 326 Uncommon

What I really loved about the first book especially, was the realism of it due to all the research the author did on plant and animal life from that time period.  Nothing like just enough realism to help a person get immersed in a tale, as opposed to something so fantastical that even the writers would find themselves hard pressed to picture themselves in it. 

I think that's why I prefer medieval mmorpgs over sci-fi, I may have grown up with Star Trek but in reality, I have never flown on a spaceship or fired a laser but I have ridden horses, bulls, etc and have wielded the odd sword and dagger plus grew up playing with bows and arrows and can even claim to have gone fishing a time or two.... a case of preferring what you know I suppose.

• RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaMember Posts: 243 Uncommon

I too was surprised and inspired by the research she had put into creating this series, and agree that the blend of factual information within this fictitious world transitioning from middle to upper Palaeolithic was brilliant.

I believe she did much of her research in France where they have discovered cave dwellings from around that era.

Her inclusion of totums (bear, loin etc), medicines and knowledge passed down from mother to daughter, how they were able to maintain embers whilst travelling to quickly start camp fires, hunting methods and so on gave a real sense of what it was like 40,000 years ago.

Ayla was an incredible character who I would compare to an Einstein of todays times with her original, lateral and logical thinking. Her understanding of animals (the lion and horse) she tames, mechanics (the spear thrower she created), her understanding of languages, people, customs was thousands of years ahead of her time.

OK, you've just made me realise that I need to read these books again. 

This would definitely be a game worth designing, and done well would make for a wonderful game.

• ironoreironore Utah, UTMember Posts: 957 Common
    Originally posted by Aeolyn
    I would love to see a mmorpg, sandbox style, with just enough lore/direction inserted to feed you the general story from this book series.    Basically it could become the bridge between UO PreTram and WoW Vanilla worlds/gameplay that imo would breathe some fresh air into the mmorpg world, after all, when was the last mmorpg based on a world from prehistoric times where you slowly progress from an apocalyptic earthquake that has destroyed most of your world, living through a cro-magnon enslavement/adoption and then break free to find your own "kind" and go on to make a life for yourself and your clan in new lands and old?  That's right, never.    For those of you who have seen the movie and thought it sucked, you're right, but the books are another kettle of fish, especially the first "The Clan of the Cave Bear"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_of_the_Cave_Bear   Anyway, if any devs out there are looking for new story concepts, here's one more. :)

Well it has been done a bit but has kind of died at this point:   http://shintolin.co.uk/

The idea had potential and actually before I even discovered this game and played it for a while (back at its height) I had developed a simulation/game for my history students where they progress from the paleolithic and into the neolithic by passing off research projects related to hunting/gathering, stone tools, agriculture and animal domestication, etc.  They really get into it and learn a lot too.

I too would love to see something done set in prehistoric times.  The different cultures and methods of subsistence could create a very diverse and dynamic world.

IronOre - Forging the Future