Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another great title ruined to the themepark.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by jfoytek
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I dont think the majority of the people in this thread know what a sandbox game is.

Actually, many of know what a sandbox style game is, we just don't agree on what that really means. image

Sandbox is just that, a box you get to make it as a player or group of players into what you want the world to be. Same with your char, want to play a rake weilding, heavy plated warrior who has a wizards cap as a hat then you have a sandbox class system. If you have both you now have a real sandbox game. If content directs you in any way you are now playing a temepark game or a hybrid sandbox/themepark game. There has been very few real sandbox games. Now days at best, MMOs will add some sandbox elements. 

This is not the definition of a Sandbox or Theampark....

Theampark is content only available to a select group via a loading screen like a dungeon in WoW...

Sandbox is an open map in which anyone can go anywhere with no obstructions....

And so the disagreement continues (there are countless thread on this topic as you are aware I'm sure)

Be careful of using that word "real" sandbox.   There are people who feel UO, EVE and even WOW are sandbox style games based on "their" interpretation of the defintion.

See, the thing is, no one gets to define what a sandbox style game is, just no governing authority that will grant the power.

So we end up with conventions that some folks will agree to while others won't.

But that isn't the topic of this thread. IMO, TESO is not really much of a sandbox style game (others will disagree) and was always pretty much a theme park style game and the mega-servers don't really make any less or more so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Sovrath

CAREBEARS!!! 

ok so this is pretty much the crux of your argument.

Secondly you are talking about this in releation to WoW. I mean really? If you are going to use that stupid term at least talk about it in relation to a game where you actually lose something, where there was an actual risk.

Full loot, losing a chunk of xp, dropping items, all that constitutes risk.

What exactly do you lose in WoW? You lessen your argument by using WoW as an example of pvp risk/reward.

Unless of coursee WoW allows for you to lose xp, drop items and have your corpse looted?

in which case "cheerfully withdrawn".

Where did I ever say that WoW was hardcore or a pvp game???  I am comparing ESO to being just another WoW a game I dont want!  But yes I have said that WoW will likely be better because you have freedom of movement to go anywhere you want in WoW at any level....  Its Zones are not instanced like ESO's will be!

So yeah WoW will likely be a better game but that just means I would rather roll in Mud then Manure!

I suppose I inferred it from this line:

Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar.

What type of suicide run can one really have in WoW? and hwat does it matter if you kill anyone in WoW.

However, you have clarified your point so carry on. (also, wow isn't a sandbox and never was).

Sandbox = A game map in which all area's are accessable by anyplayer....

For the most part this is true about WoW with the excpetion of dungeons and battle arena's

So I contend WoW is Primarly a Sandbox with Theampark content.....

Which is a huge upgrade from crap games like SWTOR and STO

with all due respect that is not a sandbox.

A sandbox is a game that not only refrains from leading a player from content to content but it also allows for each player to indulge their own playstyle.

Depending on the parametrs of each game that could be building, crafting, making use of role play tools, pvp, sieges, etc.

To that end, it has been suggested that an ability to effect the world in some sort of permanent fashion must also be present.

Though one can play a theme park game with some of these elements, most of the time the player is dancing around premade content content created by the developers.

and on topic, as Kyleran said, TESO is not a sandbox game. This is true and though I'd prefer an actual sandbox game I will give it a chance.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

SWTOR at its peak has 1.7M subs its now below 1M over a 700K drop...  But yes thats still alot of subscriptions, minor problem the game costed over 400M to make meaning it hasnt turned a profit yet... and Runescapes 8.5M subscriptions at peak wont be touched by SWTOR anytime soon nor ever!

The $400 mil rumour is just that, a rumour. SWTOR probably still has about 1 mil subscribers, based on server loads and general activity. Each of those paying $15 a month.  That combined with the box sales and cash shop sales would have more than paid for the development costs by now.

SWG had less than 200k subscribers by the time they tried the NGE which everyone blames for the death of the game, but really the game was dying well before that.

Just face it, even the most popular sandbox - EVE - cannot compete with one of the most generic and bland themeparks - SWTOR.  Why would people throw money at that? When they can make something bland and generic with a good IP and get SWTOR numbers?

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

I have played Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim....  Forever I have journey thru the lands of Tamriel thinking just how awesome this game would be as an MMO....  And now that day is finally looming and I am horribly saddened!!!

Knowing that another great title, has choosen the Carebear way, the dawning of the Themepark!  Star Trek Online, SWTOR and now ESO....  All steming from the birth of the themepark inside of the world of warcraft....  Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar. 

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer, being a person who loves all facets of the game from crafting to PvE to PVP because it destroys PVP and allows the CAREBEAR to never stray into danger!  Thus  his reward comes with no risk and the game lacks the sharp edge of a knife and will grow stale and boring because the ultimate mob will always be another player!

Trammel Ruined Ultima Online

NGE Ruined Star Wars Galaxy's

The Hype of WoW made Shadowbane a desert

Darkfall was destroyed by poor customer relations

And ESO will dead before it releases because of a failed concept "The Mega Server"

And its a real shame because you have the Following, you have the graphics, you have the history, you have put in place an excellent craftining system, you have the money and the backing to make a AAA game but you chose the road of the Themepark a fad that is not wanted by anyone other then the CAREBEARS!!! 

Proof please? A link to backup your statement? WoW was not Sandbox. That statement is Wrong! The hype of WoW did nothing to shadowbane. NOTHING! Your basically Prebashing the game based off the idea of the megaserver, when you havent even seen how it actually functions. People BASHED FFXI  due to its slow combat and etc etc, and its been like 9 years and still going. At this point your opinion holds no weight.

From what ive read, and see in the videos, it will be themepark, but it will still have good pvp.  The ideas sound very interesting.

IMO the biggest problem with sandboxes is that the there is not enough space. This may be why sandboxes have a hard time staying popular. To me a sandbox is where you build towns in areas, and you protect them, while defeating guilds.

Shadowbane was a game with no quests. NONE. All you did was build towns, and fight other people. It was epic. If you didnt get a chance to play it then I'm sorry. But the problem with the city building was what happened after you lost your city? Pretty soon the maps were filled with cities (player owned). So if you were a new player or just transfered to the server, there was no where to build a town. So you were forced to join someone eles guild. This is was what went wrong with shadowbane.

And im a tad bit confused, but are Oblivion and Skyrim really sandbox? To me they arent.

OP can you define what a Sandbox game is to you?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    I dont think the majority of the people in this thread know what a sandbox game is.

Actually, many of know what a sandbox style game is, we just don't agree on what that really means. image

Sandbox is just that, a box you get to make it as a player or group of players into what you want the world to be. Same with your char, want to play a rake weilding, heavy plated warrior who has a wizards cap as a hat then you have a sandbox class system. If you have both you now have a real sandbox game. If content directs you in any way you are now playing a temepark game or a hybrid sandbox/themepark game. There has been very few real sandbox games. Now days at best, MMOs will add some sandbox elements. 

Theampark is content only available to a select group via a loading screen like a dungeon in WoW...

So as long as I can go anywhere its a sandbox game? lol So with ESO update where you can goto all 3 factions area ESO is now magicly a sandbox game? lol Ummm no. Go google "definition mmo sandbox" and read a little. Freedom of explore is a very small part of what makes a real sandbox MMO. Its shaping the world as players, no set path in your personal story, again player driven. Real sandbox games have the same drive for the classes if you really wana go sandbox. What you do makes your class. Just because people called SWG sandbox does not mean its really sandbox. Sure it has some Sandbox parts to it but it also had themepark elements as well. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by evilastro

SWTOR at its peak has 1.7M subs its now below 1M over a 700K drop...  But yes thats still alot of subscriptions, minor problem the game costed over 400M to make meaning it hasnt turned a profit yet... and Runescapes 8.5M subscriptions at peak wont be touched by SWTOR anytime soon nor ever!

The $400 mil rumour is just that, a rumour. SWTOR probably still has about 1 mil subscribers, based on server loads and general activity. Each of those paying $15 a month.  That combined with the box sales and cash shop sales would have more than paid for the development costs by now.

SWG had less than 200k subscribers by the time they tried the NGE which everyone blames for the death of the game, but really the game was dying well before that.

Just face it, even the most popular sandbox - EVE - cannot compete with one of the most generic and bland themeparks - SWTOR.  Why would people throw money at that? When they can make something bland and generic with a good IP and get SWTOR numbers?

how many servers there is now, 20 or so?even if theres 5k players per server, its still 100k players.

And how many of those players have sub ?
    And when that product peaked about 1.7m accounts they had like 100+ servers.

Let's internet

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

SWTOR is now free to play and they do not say if the remaining active subscriptions are paying so its very likely a large chunk of that remaining subscriber base is paying 0....  And no the 400M is not a rumor

And FYI it would take 1M Subs at 15 per month for 24 months to = 360M  So two years of Sub fee's at the 1M active sub level to break even

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

I think you are the one confused about the definition of a sandbox.

A sandbox means player generated content, modification or influence on the world.  You can use the tools you have to mould the content (sand) to create your own environment (sandbox), hence the reference to a sandbox....

A sandbox is not defined as:

- FFA full loot PvP

- A seamless world

- Class-less or level-less systems

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer

So don't play it, "true gamer" that you are.  I stopped reading there, what a bunch of elitist crap.  These are video games, for pete's sake.

• LanceCLanceC Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by LanceC
    From what I've heard TES and ESO will be so different that besides a few TES gimmicks it will play nothing like any TES game.  Seems shameful to call it part of TES.

Then you heard very wrong. Tell me what about ESO is not like TES?

Everything I've heard so far. Seems way to restrictive to be an elder scrolls game. What I loved from all TES games was the interactive world. ESO will be stage with props. While it looks like TES game ... it will be a elder scroll shell. Crack that shell and you'll see that it is the same MMO that  has flooded the market for the last few years.

SWTOR is now free to play and they do not say if the remaining active subscriptions are paying so its very likely a large chunk of that remaining subscriber base is paying 0....  And no the 400M is not a rumor

And FYI it would take 1M Subs at 15 per month for 24 months to = 360M  So two years of Sub fee's at the 1M active sub level to break even

1) It was a rumour. It has never been confirmed anywhere.

2) Most of the players are subscribing, the game is set up that way. If you don't subscribe at max level (which is still very active) then you end up paying more than a subscription.

3) They had about 2 mil to 1.7 mil subs for the first 6 months. Add the box fee on top. So yeah no.  

For the record, I don't play the game or have any interest in it. But if you think it is unprofitable you are incredibly delusional. Go log into the game, its free to look at how busy it is.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    From what I've heard TES and ESO will be so different that besides a few TES gimmicks it will play nothing like any TES game.  Seems shameful to call it part of TES.

Everything I've heard so far. Seems way to restrictive to be an elder scrolls game. What I loved from all TES games was the interactive world. ESO will be stage with props. While it looks like TES game ... it will be a elder scroll shell. Crack that shell and you'll see that it is the same MMO that  has flooded the market for the last few years.

They are not that interactive. TES game worlds are very restrictive.

So as long as I can go anywhere its a sandbox game? lol So with ESO update where you can goto all 3 factions area ESO is now magicly a sandbox game? lol Ummm no. Go google "definition mmo sandbox" and read a little. Freedom of explore is a very small part of what makes a real sandbox MMO. Its shaping the world as players, no set path in your personal story, again player driven. Real sandbox games have the same drive for the classes if you really wana go sandbox. What you do makes your class. Just because people called SWG sandbox does not mean its really sandbox. Sure it has some Sandbox parts to it but it also had themepark elements as well. 

No it absolutely is not a sandbox game because you cant go to the Instanced version of the zone someone else is in....  Thats my 1 ISSUE with this....  Every single zone in the game will have multiple copys So if you want to go to zone 3 you chose that in the Mega server setting with your pvp preferences etc and you are matched up with some random other players or you choose to join your friends on your friends list or you go as a group but you end up in an Instanced version of the zone....

I would have zero issue if it was like persay WoW where your a Horde Druid in Mulgore and you decide to walk to darnasus and mess around there but thats is not the case.....  In TES you would select in this example Darnasus via the Mega Server and you would end up in an instanced version of Darnasus with all the mobs being scaled to level 50 and no nightelfs running around looking at you the funny cow way out of place!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by SysFail
    I completely agree with everything the OP has said, even WoW the king of the themepark was enjoyable until they added in battllegrounds.

There's still World PVP in WoW, however, limited to a few areas

If its limited to zones its NOT WORLD pvp its Zone pvp...

What does that even mean? WoW has open world PvP everywhere except a couple of neutral cities from old xpacs (Dalaran/Shatt)

There is even an achievement for killing the leader of all major cities of each opposing faction.

I kind of agree.  Not that I care personally, but one of the media guys that was able to test the game so far said that it's not really going for a "seamless world" feel so much as it is a "multiplayer play-with-your-friends" type game.  If that's true, then no, it really doesn't play like I'd imagine a true TES MMO.  Like I said though, this has no impact on whether I'll play it myself.  I just think you've got a point.

Originally posted by immodium

Compared with what? ESO? You cannot honestly believe that the last few TES games are more restrictive than the average MMO aka ESO.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Theme Park (theem parrck) n: 1) An amusement park with a predominant theme such as "Disneyland." 2) An excuse to repeat one MMORPG design for decades.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Thats forum spew and no facts as to what makes this not a TES game. 

1 Has TES lore

2 Has TES combat

3 Has TES World and and art style

4 They had to have classes its a MMO, but it has TES freedom of making your powers and class do what you want. So much so its almost a sandbox class system

5 You can now explore anywhere on one char, by most here that seems to make it sandbox lol

6 lots of features to encurage and reward you for exploring. More then most MMOs do

Thats just to name a few. Only thing you cant do from TES game is play any race with any faction. ESO is themepark but that is far from fail. Bad games fail, good games do well thats all. 

Originally posted by ignore_me
    Theme Park (theem parrck) n: 1) An amusement park with a predominant theme such as "Disneyland." 2) An excuse to repeat one MMORPG design for decades.

ROFL I love it!

Don't get me wrong. I will end up getting it for the IP but most likely won't stay long due to the lack of what makes the IP good. Of course, this is my opinion. Just don't see this game being anything different from the stale genre. Instead of making a TES game around an MMO, they are making a MMO around a TES game. Sadly, their opinion of what makes a MMO is old, used up, and flaccid. 

1 Has TES lore

2 Has TES combat

4 They had to have classes its a MMO, but it has TES freedom of making your powers and class do what you want. So much so its almost a sandbox class system

5 You can now explore anywhere on one char, by most here that seems to make it sandbox lol

6 lots of features to encurage and reward you for exploring. More then most MMOs do

Thats just to name a few. Only thing you cant do from TES game is play any race with any faction. ESO is themepark but that is far from fail. Bad games fail, good games do well thats all. 

Think about what they said about exploring the other area's, they only open when you reach 50 and complete all of the quests in your area....  And the content will be scaled to give you a harder challenge....

This about this.....  How is an area going to be harder for you?  But yet easy for them?  Because your not going to be in there zone your going to be in your own instanced version of there zone!!!

lol  Well, they're afraid if they try something new, it will bankrupt them. :p

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by immodium

Compared with what? ESO? You cannot honestly believe that the last few TES games are more restrictive than the average MMO aka ESO.

No, just in general.

TES game feel way more 'themeparky' than 'sandboxy' IMO. Like someone mentioned earlier, there's a thread for that discussion. TES feels as 'sandboxy' as GTA.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Eir_S

lol  Well, they're afraid if they try something new, it will bankrupt them. :p

I just don't know why the MMORPG is stuck in some kind of a false dichotomy. Is there no other way to make these games? I agree with what youre saying, but they seem to fail so often anyway. Maybe that's why the kickstarter games are on the rise. I don't know.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

1 Has TES lore

2 Has TES combat

Think about what they said about exploring the other area's, they only open when you reach 50 and complete all of the quests in your area....  And the content will be scaled to give you a harder challenge....

This about this.....  How is an area going to be harder for you?  But yet easy for them?  Because your not going to be in there zone your going to be in your own instanced version of there zone!!!

What TES game could you explore all the areas? None of them. This is a MMO and they are opening up the game so you can go anywhere and your upset because they are making 2/3 of the maps end game content? WHAT?!?!?!?!? You want to explore but kill grey mobs? As a MMO player you should be excited that not only you get to explore everywhere but the mobs will be worth fighting because it will take skill and you will be rewarded as the level you are. Matter of fact some of the best loot in the game will be earned this way. THATS A GOOD THING!!! (((eye roll)))

This discussion has been closed.