Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another great title ruined to the themepark.

jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

I have played Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim....  Forever I have journey thru the lands of Tamriel thinking just how awesome this game would be as an MMO....  And now that day is finally looming and I am horribly saddened!!!

Knowing that another great title, has choosen the Carebear way, the dawning of the Themepark!  Star Trek Online, SWTOR and now ESO....  All steming from the birth of the themepark inside of the world of warcraft....  Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar. 

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer, being a person who loves all facets of the game from crafting to PvE to PVP because it destroys PVP and allows the CAREBEAR to never stray into danger!  Thus  his reward comes with no risk and the game lacks the sharp edge of a knife and will grow stale and boring because the ultimate mob will always be another player!

Trammel Ruined Ultima Online

NGE Ruined Star Wars Galaxy's

The Hype of WoW made Shadowbane a desert

Darkfall was destroyed by poor customer relations

And ESO will dead before it releases because of a failed concept "The Mega Server"

And its a real shame because you have the Following, you have the graphics, you have the history, you have put in place an excellent craftining system, you have the money and the backing to make a AAA game but you chose the road of the Themepark a fad that is not wanted by anyone other then the CAREBEARS!!! 

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Comments

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    I completely agree with everything the OP has said, even WoW the king of the themepark was enjoyable until they added in battllegrounds.
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Bla bla bla, subjective opinion is subjective.

I will bet everything I own upon the premise that this game will, in fact, not fail "before it has even launched".

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by SysFail
    I completely agree with everything the OP has said, even WoW the king of the themepark was enjoyable until they added in battllegrounds.

There's still World PVP in WoW, however, limited to a few areas

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

There's still World PVP in WoW, however, limited to a few areas

If its limited to zones its NOT WORLD pvp its Zone pvp...

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Agree 100%. Elder Scrolls games, whatever they were, were NOT ThemeParks and yet Elder Scrolls Online will be. image

But hey, another indication that the MMO genre is run by suits who do not give a crap about IPs other than being a way for them to make more money.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Todd Howard overseas this project as well, and if he has given his approval, then that is all I need. 

If you do not like the concepts of the game, please do not play it, and stick to the single player versions.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

You are right OP considering that how successful sandbox MMOS are and how much money studios make from sandbox titles. Investors are foolish to put their money into ESO project which is clearly a themepark MMO. I mean who would want to dump their hard earned money just like that?

Fools i say.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Don't you guys get tired of posting the same old crap? The game isn't going g to fundamentally change. Contrary to your opinion there is a very big market for a well crafted theme park.

And for the record I am not a PVP first player, I am a crafter....

There are 4 Types of players in MMO's PvPers, PvEers, Crafters, and Noobs!

PvPers are the black sheep of the MMO world they get crapped on regularly, its falsely believed they are this overwhelming minority group that plays MMO's when infact there not!!!  No they are waiting, playing single player games, playing silly games, playing everygame that gets released hoping for the return of Ultima Online or Shadowbane!!!

What they get is Darkfall and Mortal Online, small studio's who try hard but dont have the money to deliver!

Crafters like myself and also greatly upset with the state of the MMO world as most MMO's put crafting as an after thought!  We tend to play PvP titles more then PvE titles because PvP titles have a better economy, they die they need gear the economy isnt out of kilter like the PvE safe games the land of Carebears where the carebears never die have the greatest gear ever forever because they never risk it!

PvEers the mass's or so its thought, the kids generation Easy mode!  They get all the tops titles, good graphics etc....  They are the target audience  this group of players that play a few weeks and quit out of boredom, why again do companys cater to this huge ADD demographic when the more mature player base, the more loyal player base, the ones more likely to shell out the cash are NOT PvEers....

And then the noobs are of little consequence they loged on once to see what an MMO is and never log back on again! 

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

You are right OP considering that how successful sandbox MMOS are and how much money studios make from sandbox titles. Investors are foolish to put their money into ESO project which is clearly a themepark MMO. I mean who would want to dump their hard earned money just like that?

Fools i say.

Yup, EA got is spot on with the star wars IP and other companies are leaping to repeat the same model with well known IP's.

Fools i say.

Yup, EA got is spot on with the star wars IP and other companies are leaping to repeat the same model with well known IP's.

What is hilarious is that EA probably makes more money with a  failed  themepark MMO like SWTOR in comparison to all sandbox MMOS of which there is only one successful title EVE ONLINE and which is not even a fantasy / high fantasy title. lolz!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Fools i say.

Star Wars Galaxies when it was origninaly released was 1000 times a better game then SWTOR will ever be!

Fools i say.

What is hilarious is that EA probably makes more money with a  failed  themepark MMO like SWTOR in comparison to all sandbox MMOS of which there is only one successfukl title EVE ONLINE and which is not even a fantasy / high fantasy title. lolz!!

If posting a loss of over 300 million dollars is success, then g'luck to them in the future.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by jfoytek

I have played Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim....  Forever I have journey thru the lands of Tamriel thinking just how awesome this game would be as an MMO....  And now that day is finally looming and I am horribly saddened!!!

Knowing that another great title, has choosen the Carebear way, the dawning of the Themepark!  Star Trek Online, SWTOR and now ESO....  All steming from the birth of the themepark inside of the world of warcraft....  Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar. 

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer, being a person who loves all facets of the game from crafting to PvE to PVP because it destroys PVP and allows the CAREBEAR to never stray into danger!  Thus  his reward comes with no risk and the game lacks the sharp edge of a knife and will grow stale and boring because the ultimate mob will always be another player!

Trammel Ruined Ultima Online

NGE Ruined Star Wars Galaxy's

The Hype of WoW made Shadowbane a desert

Darkfall was destroyed by poor customer relations

And ESO will dead before it releases because of a failed concept "The Mega Server"

And its a real shame because you have the Following, you have the graphics, you have the history, you have put in place an excellent craftining system, you have the money and the backing to make a AAA game but you chose the road of the Themepark a fad that is not wanted by anyone other then the CAREBEARS!!! 

Darkfall was 100% DESTROYED by gamers themselfs period.

AFK

MACRO

BLOODWALLING

EXPLOITS

HACKS

and endles sitting in clan towns with your vag..... afk macroing

oh and last but not least afk macroing

This all from day one.

Beta was way to short and lack of players tested the game tress test was rediculous.

And devs promise to much and lack of featers and posibillitys they have not told truth when game was launched.

Zerg in first few months splitting up server also killed the game in process.

Beouse of all of this game was dead before it even started.

Devs also guilty letting The Mercs promoting there game with video's while they where one of biggest cheaters of them all.

In 2003 tasos came they moved to greece and downhill go darkfall:(

Claus lead designer, betrayed his own vision of how the game should be.

Gamers first then devs destroyed Darkfall.

ESO is just a money cow for zenimax and bethesda i just hope solo games for series keep comming then i don't care what happen with ESO mmo it has little to do with elder scrolls serie and solo games.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Fools i say.

What is hilarious is that EA probably makes more money with a  failed  themepark MMO like SWTOR in comparison to all sandbox MMOS of which there is only one successfukl title EVE ONLINE and which is not even a fantasy / high fantasy title. lolz!!

o.O have you been smoking some strong shit while I haven't been looking again? Check your facts or better yet state your sources please.

I need to state facts now to show that themepark MMOS make more money and have more players than sandbox titles and that EVE ONLINE is the only successful sandbox MMO? who would have thunk.

It is very easy to prove what i said wrong by giving examples of very successful sandbox MMOS which would encourage investors to dump their money into sandbox projects. Got any?

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

And for the record I am not a PVP first player, I am a crafter....

There are 4 Types of players in MMO's PvPers, PvEers, Crafters, and Noobs!

PvPers are the black sheep of the MMO world they get crapped on regularly, its falsely believed they are this overwhelming minority group that plays MMO's when infact there not!!!  No they are waiting, playing single player games, playing silly games, playing everygame that gets released hoping for the return of Ultima Online or Shadowbane!!!

What they get is Darkfall and Mortal Online, small studio's who try hard but dont have the money to deliver!

Crafters like myself and also greatly upset with the state of the MMO world as most MMO's put crafting as an after thought!  We tend to play PvP titles more then PvE titles because PvP titles have a better economy, they die they need gear the economy isnt out of kilter like the PvE safe games the land of Carebears where the carebears never die have the greatest gear ever forever because they never risk it!

PvEers the mass's or so its thought, the kids generation Easy mode!  They get all the tops titles, good graphics etc....  They are the target audience  this group of players that play a few weeks and quit out of boredom, why again do companys cater to this huge ADD demographic when the more mature player base, the more loyal player base, the ones more likely to shell out the cash are NOT PvEers....

And then the noobs are of little consequence they loged on once to see what an MMO is and never log back on again! 

And then the noobs are of little consequence they loged on once to see what an MMO is and never log back on again! - seems like you're talking about premature whiners like.... you? :D

And Btw, if you don't like the game, you're not being forced to play or even "follow" it. So just move along and spent your time elsewhere, more productive (and more fun I hope)! :)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Fools i say.

o.O have you been smoking some strong shit while I haven't been looking again? Check your facts or better yet state your sources please.

I need to stat facts now to show that themepark MMOS make more money and have more players than sandbox titles and that EVE ONLINE is the only successful sandbox MMO? who would have thunk.

No, I said state your sources that claim the TORtanic is more successful than even the smallest indie sandbox titles you can find (and success is measured by money put in vs money earned btw).

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    TES games have always been similar to themepark MMOs. The only sandbox-like activities in them were stealing and being able to attack anyone. Crappy outlaw systems, psychic guard AI and a world full of immortal NPCs made those activities quite redundant, unless you had to steal something for a quest.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer,

Not all gamers are willing to play a Sandbox... ,most of gamers love Themeparks. Not everyone is willing to jump into an open world PvP game with permadeath and other so glorified aspects of sandbox. Not at all...

You just have to look at sales numbers to notice that...

Said than,i think you should at leat give the game a chance to know how it plays... or simply focus on pure sandbox games if that´s the only type of game you like,but calling games "ruined" just because the don´t follow the path u like is...well, unfair.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Crappy move on their part to make the game safe and carebearish. It will get boring very quickly after you hit level 50. They haven't mentioned a damn thing that would make endgame even remotely fun. Oh woot heroics? cyrodiil safe pvp? How many companies are gonna have to make safe carebear MMOs until someone finally realizes that it was popular 10 years ago.

But if you people wanna ride another hype train like you did on GW2, then go straight ahead. I'm sure they will appreciate the extra 60 bucks.

Fools i say.

I need to stat facts now to show that themepark MMOS make more money and have more players than sandbox titles and that EVE ONLINE is the only successful sandbox MMO? who would have thunk.

No, I said state your sources that claim the TORtanic is more successful than even the smallest indie sandbox titles you can find (and success is measured by money put in vs money earned btw).

I think you missed that part where i said 'probably'. The word successful is something you mentioned not I. But in my own observation seeing how busy SWTOR has been lately any indie sandbox title would kill to have that many players in their sandbox.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Fools i say.

I need to state facts now to show that themepark MMOS make more money and have more players than sandbox titles and that EVE ONLINE is the only successful sandbox MMO? who would have thunk.

It is very easy to prove what i said wrong by giving examples of very successful sandbox MMOS which would encourage investors to dump their money into sandbox projects. Got any?

How can they possibly know how a sandbox will do, when one hasn't been made by one of the big boys for a very long time. The last one made by a big company was SWG, which was actually successful prior to the horrible changes.

How can they possibly know how a sandbox will do, when one hasn't been made by one of the big boys for a very long time. The last one made by a big company was SWG, which was actually successful prior to the horrible changes.

SWG 'was' successful sor couple of years and yet had to undergo changes in order to generate more revenue. Ever heard of a super successful MMOS going through extreme changes in order to get more players?...i haven't. So all we got is one MMO from past which was successful and EVE ONLINE which is ina league of its own.

You are right sandbox scene looks pretty encouraging for investors to dump their hard earned money into this genre.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

SWG 'was' successful sor couple of years and yet had to undergo changes in order to generate more revenue. Ever heard of a super successful MMOS going through extreme changes in order to get more players?...i haven't. So all we got is one MMO from past which was successful and EVE ONLINE which is ina league of its own.

You are right sandbox scene looks pretty encouraging for investors to dump their hard earned money into this genre.

Incorrect, a properly build sandbox would be popular with both the hardcore FFA PVP full drop/partial loot system and the PVE themepark scene but the problem is no one is trying to build such an MMO because they all take the easy route of the WoW mould and innevitably fail to even touch WoW's level of success.

The sandbox scene is encouraging investors to dump money on a good MMO developer to build a great sandbox the issue though is that there are no such developers, CCP had a perfect storm with EVE which they've been wise enough not to dick around with in SWG NGE fashion for projected profits.

Fools i say.

Two recent Theampark MMO's

SWTOR - http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/08/01/five-lessons-learned-as-swtor-surrenders/

SWO- http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/17/atari-to-sell-star-trek-online-developer-cryptic-promise-continued-sto-support/

Sandbox's that are doing fine financially

Wurm Online

Eve Online

World War II Online

Atlantica Online

Perpetuum Online

***Ultima Online*** Based off of sheer longevity that its still kicking

Yes World of Warcraft is the Financial juggernaut but its not totally Theampark!  The Large majority of the game is a SandBox and that is the recipe of its success! 

This discussion has been closed.