Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC style kill spam - do you want it in CU?

13»

Comments

• BordogBordog Member Posts: 34
    Yes! I totally forgot about his feature of DAoC. It was fun to see familiar names popping up. It will add to the realm pride, etc.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    This may be the one time in recent memory where I can say "I love spam!" :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

I hope this means its going to be in .....

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Yes.

I loved the kill spam, not only for myself, but it let you know if a hated enemy was out killing.

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Outis

I hope this means its going to be in .....

Mark knows better than not to have kill spam... He wants everything kill spam helps build: community, rivalries, and a consequence for dying.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

I just had a whole monty python skit run in my head O.o

• CExyCExy Member CommonPosts: 26

Agreed! Without kill spam there is less honor, with less honor comes less pride Arr!

One thing that would be cool is showing accountname (optionally), so I can wreak havoc on alts ! ;)

Also, who hasn't laughed his ass off in PVE when some bigshot died to a yellow? 

• HunterWildHunterWild Member Posts: 1

I especially used to love the killspam from those names that were designed for killspam: "Pakal was just killed by Packetloss!", "Pakal was just killed by Bluescreen!", "Pakal was just killed by Girlfriend!", "Pakal was just killed by Classbalance!"

And yes, killspam should be included for all the completely legit reasons everyone else mentioned, numerous and varied that they are.

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

Would also love to have a kind of "tome of knowledge" in CU, where the kills and death are in. I think there was an addon in WAR to this tome of knowledge, where you could see which enemies have killed you most, or which you did kill most.

And some achievements out of such a statistic would be awesome too.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by CExy

Agreed! Without kill spam there is less honor, with less honor comes less pride Arr!

One thing that would be cool is showing accountname (optionally), so I can wreak havoc on alts ! ;)

Also, who hasn't laughed his ass off in PVE when some bigshot died to a yellow? 

I still maintain this is where GW2 missed a trick.

People, pvp players especially, thrive on e-peen and there is no bigger massage than seeing your name on a massive kill-spam list and knowing others are seeing it too.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GijBTtpK3Mo

"Ancient astronaut theorists believe the answer... is yes."

Haha couldn't resist.  The answer is definitely a resounding YES to this question lol.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

I like the understated, matter-of-fact kill spam in the chat box that DAoC had. It was like an objective reporter just giving the facts, and the players could take it from there.

You could tell if a guild was holed up in a keep farming, where action was in frontiers, and what was going on in DF (a little.) It also got people talking. Ever been killed in DF and get a tell that said, "Where?" That's what games like these need.

Also, I think WAR or some other game tried having (or might even still have) "enhanced" kill spam with different words like "Player A flayed Player B in suchandsuch mountains," or "KnightofDoom heroically slaughtered WussCaster in Lake River." It came off as sensationalism anywhere does--cheesy.

So my vote is, keep it clean, basic, understated and in the chat box. Please, as little as possible crap floating on the screen, and if it's gotta be there, allow a way to disable it so it can be in a chat or info box.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

I don't know how it would be implemented, but I'd like to see a spam for kickarse healers, too.  Something like, "Zaev was miraculously saved by Healerdude near [Location]!" as I always felt that the healers were left out of the name spam picture.

Maybe only spams if the player is actively in combat and is between 1-4% life or something?

XD

An image popped into my mind of a dwarf healer wearing a look of intense concentration, watching an ally writhe on the ground as DoTs slowly knock off his health, and then at the last second he throws out a heal just so he can get the "near save" and show up on spam. The amount of 'whoops' moments that might ensue would be hilarious.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by versulas
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

I don't know how it would be implemented, but I'd like to see a spam for kickarse healers, too.  Something like, "Zaev was miraculously saved by Healerdude near [Location]!" as I always felt that the healers were left out of the name spam picture.

Maybe only spams if the player is actively in combat and is between 1-4% life or something?

XD

An image popped into my mind of a dwarf healer wearing a look of intense concentration, watching an ally writhe on the ground as DoTs slowly knock off his health, and then at the last second he throws out a heal just so he can get the "near save" and show up on spam. The amount of 'whoops' moments that might ensue would be hilarious.

Honestly, probably not more than the fights it will start from people who die. "Way to heal me @#$%@%#, hope you got your stupid title, @%^@#$@." 

I really see deathspam as more informational than for individual glory. This might seem harsh, but your accomplishments should be for you and you alone, I don't care about them, especially in a game, and hope CSE doesn't go that route. This is supposed to be a realm-focused game, not a hero-focused game. Sure, you might get some notoriety for being a badass or an awesome healer, but that should happen over time because you're consistently that good and word gets around.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by KappenWiz

I like the understated, matter-of-fact kill spam in the chat box that DAoC had. It was like an objective reporter just giving the facts, and the players could take it from there.

You could tell if a guild was holed up in a keep farming, where action was in frontiers, and what was going on in DF (a little.) It also got people talking. Ever been killed in DF and get a tell that said, "Where?" That's what games like these need.

Also, I think WAR or some other game tried having (or might even still have) "enhanced" kill spam with different words like "Player A flayed Player B in suchandsuch mountains," or "KnightofDoom heroically slaughtered WussCaster in Lake River." It came off as sensationalism anywhere does--cheesy.

So my vote is, keep it clean, basic, understated and in the chat box. Please, as little as possible crap floating on the screen, and if it's gotta be there, allow a way to disable it so it can be in a chat or info box.

Agree to simple death/kill spam with no glitz.  Make it easily recognizable without being obnoxious.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    The only issue I can forsee is the ability for smaller groups to remain anonymous while hitting a few select spots without a zerg roaming fot them once alerted by kill spam.

Now I know in daoc is a group got rolled, most of the time they would post "FG albs milegate" or somesuch, but sometimes they wouldn't. A lot of times a realmmate would pm me "where?" instead just from seeing kill spam.

I love kill spam, though. I want it in the game. So what if we let smaller forces turn their own victory spam off via filter? Larger numbers in an area could disable the filter to simulate the larger amount of attention large battles draw. This would prevent surprise zergs somewhat and force teams to split up and act more tactically if they want to take the enemy unawares.

There are logistical problems with this, I know. Just a catalyst idea.
  • binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153
    Kill spam was a hoot, and let you get to know who was out and about, and what was going on.  It also let you swoop down like an avenging angel when one of your realmmates had gotten caught with his virtual pants down.  Please put it in. :)
  • WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    I'd prefer to be kept simple and clean. Just "x was just killed by y". No locations, no ability used for killing blow, etc

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    The only issue I can forsee is the ability for smaller groups to remain anonymous while hitting a few select spots without a zerg roaming fot them once alerted by kill spam.

Now I know in daoc is a group got rolled, most of the time they would post "FG albs milegate" or somesuch, but sometimes they wouldn't. A lot of times a realmmate would pm me "where?" instead just from seeing kill spam.

I love kill spam, though. I want it in the game. So what if we let smaller forces turn their own victory spam off via filter? Larger numbers in an area could disable the filter to simulate the larger amount of attention large battles draw. This would prevent surprise zergs somewhat and force teams to split up and act more tactically if they want to take the enemy unawares.

There are logistical problems with this, I know. Just a catalyst idea.

You can just make it so the spam is seen only in a certain radius around the kill. That way isolated spots won't catch the attention of a zerg unless someone post it in the chat.

• KarraptathidKarraptathid Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by MidHealer

Absolutely.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just a simple:

Name1 has been killed by Name2  in Zonename!

...would suffice. Maybe colour the names in Realm colour as well.

Maybe add a Guild Name too?

Oswald [Treehuggers] was just killed by Birger [Fenris] in Emain Macha!

Would help Guildpride as well as Realmpride, imo.

I agree into addition that all realm kill spam is seen, not just the kills that have to do with your own realm.  That way if the two other realms are having a massive battle, the third realm sees the spam and knows where the fight is, or isn't.

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever