Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Helm's Hold Dungeon & PvP Domination

2»

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by kyssari
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Originally posted by kyssari
    NOt being able to play even a normal Drow for the first 60 days is a pretty huge letdown and drove me away from dishing out a few $$ for a Guardian Pack. Guess I won't bother playing for the first 60 days at all now :

That's a pretty weak reason not to play a game. MMOs come out with new races at odd times before during and after launch all the time. Exclusive content is exclusive for a reason so stop complaining. This whole new modern concept that everyone is a unique snowflake and no one is a loser is a farce. 

The fact of the matter is the Renegade is exclusive, and I am perfectly fine with that. The basic Drow race is not exclusive, and it's finished and ready to go at launch, they are simply choosing not to let us have it until 60 days afterwards for some odd reason. I also didn't say I am not going to play it at all, I said I won't play for the first 60 days because I can't play the race I am most interested in. I 'm also not going to dish out the cash for a Founders Pack if I am not even gonna bother playing until 2 months after lauch.

The fact of the matter, actually, is that there shouldn't be any drow walking around Neverwinter.  I wish they had just kept it to the people who paid a ton of cash for the Renegade Drow, because having 1 out of 5 people wandering around the city as a drow is lore, and consequently immersion breaking.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    It's called "The Great Weapon Fighter"
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    This will be the first MMO in a long time that I could care less about PvP in. I want the PvE and foundry to be spot on, PvP is not needed in a D&D game and can do nothing but ruin it with typical balancing issues that effect PvE.
  • NordenNorden Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by shantideva
    Originally posted by Fyreball99

PVP doesn't belong in a DnD game.  Period.

Guess you never played DnD pen and paper....

Well, he should have said "DnD isn't about PVP".

The more I read about NW the more I realise they are about to make yet another standard MMORPG on the name and lore of a great franchise. I hoped for more here.

Norden

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Helm's hold...it's a sad day when RPGs don't even make an effort to pretend they're not ripping off the Tolkien setting. 

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Norden

The more I read about NW the more I realise they are about to make yet another standard MMORPG on the name and lore of a great franchise. I hoped for more here.

The more I Play Neverwinter the more I realize this game is full of lore rich and engaging questlines and a foundry system that should let DMs create campaigns that cater to my needs as a DnD fan. Its all I could really ask for as a DnD fan.

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Yes cryptic is pretty good at using the lore in there games.
    I just fear that they will only add to it on on yearly basis like sto
  • anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Was looking forward to this one, but looks like PvP will domimate and I'm just too old to compete at that anymore.  Probably another pay to win game anyway...seems they all are these days.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    When exactly will the next Beta event be?

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by anwar
    Was looking forward to this one, but looks like PvP will domimate and I'm just too old to compete at that anymore.  Probably another pay to win game anyway...seems they all are these days.

Noooo, not at all!!!

There is a huge PvE aspect and with the fluid combat system it is super fun. Take at least a look into the open beta.

Again: When will be the next Beta Event?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

During a special Neverwinter press event held on Tuesday, we had the opportunity to range about with Cryptic developers to check out a level thirty dungeon and took part in some Domination PvP action. Find out more after the jump and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

After catching our breath from the Helm's Hold fight, we moved on to try out PvP for the first time ever. Domination is the first PvP type that will be included in the game, though there were little rumors flitting around about a massive PvE-PvP end-game event centered around Gauntlgrym. We weren't able to force the devs to tell us more about that, so we'll stick to Domination for now.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: Helm's Hold Dungeon & PvP Domination.

So, unlike actual Dungeons and Dragons with your friends, pvp will be paladin vs paladin, elf vs elf and so forth.  No thanks - I've seen enough titles poo on the lore.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well they HAD to add PvP or else people would have complained.   But yeh I think it's a pretty standard game, if you discount the foundry of course.  I'm pretty sure it was Cryptic's intent to make a quick and simple MMO and not much more.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Kingmob23

The more I Play Neverwinter the more I realize this game is full of lore rich and engaging questlines and a foundry system that should let DMs create campaigns that cater to my needs as a DnD fan. Its all I could really ask for as a DnD fan.

How bout actually stcking to the rulebooks and not do a WoWification worse that what 4e already did to the IP?

Not to mention the foundry is a gimmick riddled with restrictions.  What they need to allow is Persisten World crealtions like the NWN series allowed, THAT would provide the longevity an MMO needs and not this module system which 90% will be bout utter crap.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by epoq
    Too bad this game doesn't even have the characteristics to be called an MMO.  If you can call Neverwinter an MMO, then Diablo is an MMO as well.  Because it's the same main quest hub BS.  Insta-travel from town, no open world exploration, lack of classes, lack of D&D rules, lack of just about everything that *could* have made this a good game.  I'm in the beta again this weekend but I think I'll be trying my hand at the Defiance beta instead to see how it fares over this game.

Its open world with instanced dungeons, like WoW and EQ2. Are those not MMOs either?

Guessing you never made it past level 20 or you never played at all.

Technically WoW and EQ2 were actual open world not these sharded "public" zones.  A comparison to SWTOR is a lot more apt and really these aren't really open worlds, just another instanced quest area.  They should have incorperated some champion DEs like in GW2 or some big tough mobs that one needs to have a party to venture around in like in Vanilla WoW, SWTOR, and TSW.  Not this faceroll stuff.