Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Cross faction coop and the effect on AvA and "Faction Pride"

124»

Comments

• BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24
    The term "faction pride" is cropping up a lot in recent discussions. What do you mean by it?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Boreas
    The term "faction pride" is cropping up a lot in recent discussions. What do you mean by it?

Just what it sounds like: you actually care about how your alliance is faring in Cyrodiil and the succes or failure of your alliance feel like they're your own successes and failures. You care enough that when the call goes out that one of the other alliances is making a major push and reinforcements are needed, you drop whatever PVE you were doing and rush to defend.

At least, that was how it worked DaOC... we'll see if they can pull it off in this new solo-centric MMO age.

Edit: According to one dev, there is no "co-op." That seems to be a misconception started by a Massively writer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrflK6An6Y&list=UUpu8dLHavjMi1a5jgT9ycMA 12:30 of the video.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Iselin

Just what it sounds like: you actually care about how your alliance is faring in Cyrodiil and the succes or failure of your alliance feel like they're your own successes and failures. You care enough that when the call goes out that one of the other alliances is making a major push and reinforcements are needed, you drop whatever PVE you were doing and rush to defend.

At least, that was how it worked DaOC... we'll see if they can pull it off in this new solo-centric MMO age.

Edit: According to one dev, there is no "co-op." That seems to be a misconception started by a Massively writer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrflK6An6Y&list=UUpu8dLHavjMi1a5jgT9ycMA 12:30 of the video.

Thank you for explaining.

Wouldn't it make more sense to create incentives that motivate players to support their faction rather than hoping for some kind of fantasy nationalism?

It also sounds like the idea of faction pride assumes that PvP is the player's priority, if he is expected to "drop whatever PvE [he] was doing and rush to defend." Would you also hope for "guild pride", where players immediatly drop out of PvP engagements when it is time for a guild event?

Wouldn't it make more sense to create incentives that motivate players to support their faction rather than hoping for some kind of fantasy nationalism?

It also sounds like the idea of faction pride assumes that PvP is the player's priority, if he is expected to "drop whatever PvE [he] was doing and rush to defend." Would you also hope for "guild pride", where players immediatly drop out of PvP engagements when it is time for a guild event?

The DAoC game play is hard to explain. You had to be there I guess. It was all about the RvR...and there was great PvE. Sounds like a contradiction but it worked well. Also, Guild events 99% of the time were RvR events.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This whole faction pride thing for a video game is the geekiest thing i ever heard of in these forums lol For the horde mofos
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

The DAoC game play is hard to explain. You had to be there I guess. It was all about the RvR...and there was great PvE. Sounds like a contradiction but it worked well. Also, Guild events 99% of the time were RvR events.

I don't see this happening with todays "gamers". I think those days are gone. Also I don't see how they could do that when the pvp is set it campaigns.
    Originally posted by Fearum

I don't see this happening with todays "gamers". I think those days are gone. Also I don't see how they could do that when the pvp is set it campaigns.

You might be right about today's gamers jus like I said a few posts above. Solo is the name of the game now.

But campaigns are not a problem. Think "server" when you read campaign. They are persistent and you will always be in the same one with your guild. They will even have names like serers in other MMOs. Switching to a new campaign here will be as big a deal as switching servers is in other MMOs.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Comcast8888Comcast8888 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    wont make any diff, there is no faction pride no server pride anymore.  ppl play mmo for fun not for pride.
  • Tarkus-BlackTarkus-Black Member Posts: 7
    When you go to enemy faction area's you cant interact with enemy faction players or even see them. So I dont see how just exploring the land ruins faction pride.
    Originally posted by Tarkus-Black
    When you go to enemy faction area's you cant interact with enemy faction players or even see them. So I dont see how just exploring the land ruins faction pride.

The OP. didn't know that when he posted, thanks to some misinformation from Massively where they said 50s could group cross-faction...not so. So the poll is a moot point now.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tarkus-BlackTarkus-Black Member Posts: 7
    ah i see thanks.