Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: Rising Momentum

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Since going free to play a short time ago, TERA: Rising has experienced some explosive and impressive growth. We sat down for a chat with Associate Producer Patrick Sun to find out more and to see what the future holds for En Masse Entertainment's TERA: Rising. Check it out and then head to the comments.

MMORPG:  Let's first start by talking about how things have been going since the transition to completely free?

Patrick Sun: The transition has brought a lot of positive changes, and we’ve seen a large influx of players coming in just to see what TERA’s about.  It’s great to see the community growing, and we are very happy with how players are adjusting to the new options provided through the in-game shop. It was a ton of work, but with the support of a team, who’s committed to delivering the best experience for our users, we are very happy with the results of the transition. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's TERA: Rising Momentum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its funny, I don't think anyone questioned Tera would excell greatly as F2P, specially when it has a great F2P model unlike other games from the west.  It did suffer greatly from the quests being a bit dule and the end not being fully refined, but the combat itself often was enough to pull interest into the game.

Hopefully this F2P spark can ignite improvements to the game. Right now in a traditional MMo sense (ignore 'lobby' based games like vindictus) Tera has hands down the best combat system in an MMO for those craving the action variety. It actually pulls off the trinity quite well as well considering its a shift in the MMo department that you might think it might have issues with it. 

Either way, I do wish them luck and I'll continue to poke around on there just to enjoy amazing combat in an MMo that its biggest competitor in attempting that failed quite badly on.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

"I think there’s a common misconception that free games should force players to spend money, which usually means gating content in such a way that prohibits enjoying the game. However, we’ve found that if players are truly enjoying the game, they’re just as happy to spend money on things they actually want to pay for."

Other game Devs could learn a lesson from Tera (oh hi Tor).

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Patrick Sun: Our next BAM invasion event, Dracoloths Rising, is actually happening right now.  Players can jump in and battle one of TERAs coolest Big Ass Monsters appearing around the world. All players participating (read: fighting) in the event will get a special parcel in the mail with some goodies in addition to the loot.

only for us servers...

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Ryowulf

Depends who the publisher is... Bioware has little our no say when it comes to sub or microtransaction.. Its sad when manage screw over a good dev..
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    @Purutzil
    It does the Trinity (almost) so well that there are more healers than you can shake a stick at. Why? Healing is finally fun!
    Now...the tanks need more love. The devs can't rest on their laurels.
    They're trying, and you can tell by the changes made to lancer and warrior.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Tera's F2P system is arguably one of the best F2P systems available. The only problem is that the new F2P system has basically ruined the games economy. I've played Tera since Closed Beta 1, up to a month after F2P. I recall buying a regent weapon (one of the best in game atm) for 27k gold 2 months prior to F2P. That was a shit ton of gold too. Now you're lucky to find one under 100k lol. Only way to be able to afford those things is if farm 24/7 or buy and sell things from the cash shop. This is the main reason I stopped playing it.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    @Manolios

Um ya, of course its only the US. Enmasse is the NA publisher, why would they care about Europe or any where else?

• HunterrorHunterror Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I just started Tera a little over a week ago. I'm 39 and having a blast, I even subbed.  The quests are the same old thing, but the combat really keeps me engaged, and pk'ing is always fun.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Its funny, I don't think anyone questioned Tera would excell greatly as F2P, 

Its not "excelling greatly" just yet, its still new to f2p and the newness hasnt worn off.  Wait and see how things play out.

Although since TERA appeals greatest to the 25ish and under crowd, which also happens to be segment that plays f2p games the most, it does make sense that it might do better than games that dont appeal as well to that age range.

Im not saying people over 25 dont enjoy TERA and dont F2P, but both crowds are significantly younger on average than the standard MMO crowd.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Either way, I do wish them luck and I'll continue to poke around on there just to enjoy amazing combat in an MMo that its biggest competitor in attempting that failed quite badly on.

What game are you talking about?  If I'm even reading that sentence right..

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Its funny, I don't think anyone questioned Tera would excell greatly as F2P, 

Its not "excelling greatly" just yet, its still new to f2p and the newness hasnt worn off.  Wait and see how things play out.

Although since TERA appeals greatest to the 25ish and under crowd, which also happens to be segment that plays f2p games the most, it does make sense that it might do better than games that dont appeal as well to that age range.

Im not saying people over 25 dont enjoy TERA and dont F2P, but both crowds are significantly younger on average than the standard MMO crowd.

Your just making this up. The guild I'm in has only 2 people under 25 with the average age around 30. Many people above 25 actually have very busy lives so a F2P game allows them to tackle content at their own leasure. The revolutionary combat system is something that attracts people of all ages.

In my personal experience I found a certain subcription game  to have many, many more younger people, but these are all personal experiences and until you have actual evidence in the form of research you cannot make such  claims as if they are fact. 

Originally posted by Shana77
    The revolutionary combat system is something that attracts people of all ages.

Even though I've come to enjoy the combat system, it's not revolutionary.  Dragon Nest is very similar and it was released first.  Dragon Nest also attracts people of all ages, so that's something they have in common.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I can't actually think of a game that I'd consider it's direct competitor when only looking at it's combat system. gw2 would be the obvious choice but I'd say that was more a competitor to tab targeting and the games are so not alike it's only real competition is in them both going after mmo gamers like every other mmo does. Dragon nest is pretty .....yeah those games don't compete for the same type of person :P

Vindictus maybe ? I've never played it but I know it's action based and did ok for a while here but everyone I know who has played it doesn't anymore.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I can't actually think of a game that I'd consider it's direct competitor when only looking at it's combat system. gw2 would be the obvious choice but I'd say that was more a competitor to tab targeting and the games are so not alike it's only real competition is in them both going after mmo gamers like every other mmo does. Dragon nest is pretty .....yeah those games don't compete for the same type of person :P

Vindictus maybe ? I've never played it but I know it's action based and did ok for a while here but everyone I know who has played it doesn't anymore.

Yeah I'm not sure either, and though DN has a similar combat system, I'd agree it's not really a competitor to Tera.  I was just confused by the wording of his statement, but I think I know what he was saying.  Vindictus was alright for an instanced group-based "MMO" but it was far more mindless than DN or Tera.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

People using Dragon Nest, Vindictus etc using them as counter arguments need not forget that they are basically lobby games. Don't compare apples to oranges when you want to talk about if it's (r)evolutionary or not.

TERA also has collision but not like x title.

The TERA devs were calling it active collision detection. I think that's what they meant with: you could move out of the way at the last minute and it wouldn't register as a hit. No magical invulnerability, no magical "wtf how did that hit me even after I moved" or something like that.

Active collision detection making the combat feel meaty (BAMs push you around like a ragdoll). Remember how many said this wouldn't work in a persistent MMORPG with seamless zones?

Collisions between characters, and collisions with projectiles and hazards, are treated separately.

Even certain recently released titles backed down from this saying it was too much of a headache.

TERA is to me truly a technical marvel. Too bad the rest of the game falls short. An effort is being made to liven up the world.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59
    This game simply owns and is pretty fun combat system i bought the game to get founder status and im enyoying every single penny :)

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

Originally posted by NBlitz

People using Dragon Nest, Vindictus etc using them as counter arguments need not forget that they are basically lobby games. Don't compare apples to oranges when you want to talk about if it's (r)evolutionary or not.

Well they did mention the combat system, not the zone setup, neither of which are revolutionary.  As for livening the world up, I wish them luck.