Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

got to admit this game is lookign pretty bad***. How many of you plan to preorder?

Comments

• Clear8888Clear8888 Member Posts: 8
    This game is going to draw alot of old daoc warhammer and GW2  players.   Cant wait to play.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Nothing against the game but I just don't believe in pre-ordering MMOs......I'll give it my usualy 6 months after launch and see where the game is at then.
  • HoverhandsHoverhands Member Posts: 2

Why would I preorder a game that I've seen fail a bunch of times in the past?

We have to be in the mmo dark ages at the moment. There has literally been nothing worthwhile to play for years.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Am I interested?  Sure.   Will I pre-order?  Nope.

I imposed a new rule for myself.  After the years of overly hyped games full of broken promises of content & features that just never work the way discriped.  I no longer pre-order anything.  I don't care if the pre-order bonus has a unicorn mount that shoots rainbows out it's ass when it runs around.  I won't pre-order.  Any MMO I'm interested in, I wait 1 month post release, when the honest reviews come out.  Once I sift through those and get the real scoop on the game I buy it or don't.  If the game is really that good, 1 month won't mean squat when compared the years I'll spend playing it.

So far this self imposed rule has saved me $685, saved me from buying games before they released that turned out to be total crap.   I dunno about you guys, but that's nothing to sniff at for me.  As a married guy, with a very controled income, $700 bucks is quite a bit of extrra cash.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

honestly, I am not a fan of Skyrim, Oblivion or those games 1 bit, the combat in them always felt so damn clunky, I never got into those games very deep, I never felt immersed (dont attack me for my opinion)

now as someone who never really liked those games, I wasnt about to judge TESO based on it not being skyrim, cause I was hoping for something more.  This being said

Everything I am reading and am absolutely excited about, the game looks great to me so far, the concepts seem compelling, crafting looks in depth, and its not a game like WOW or RIFT where I need to be able to have 18 hotbars for various situations. I was not even interested in TESO until about a week ago, and after all this weeks info that has come out, it has moved ahead of Archeage and Repop.

I wont pre-order without trying the beta, but if I enjoy the beta, I have no problem pre-ordering

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I won't preorder before I get to try the game in beta. But if I get into the beta and like it I have no problem preordering.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    There's not a big enough reward that any game could possibly offer for me to pre-order ever again.  Learned my lesson with SWTOR; won't be a victim again.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by ragz45

I imposed a new rule for myself.  After the years of overly hyped games full of broken promises of content & features that just never work the way discriped.  I no longer pre-order anything.  I don't care if the pre-order bonus has a unicorn mount that shoots rainbows out it's ass when it runs around.  I won't pre-order.  Any MMO I'm interested in, I wait 1 month post release, when the honest reviews come out.  Once I sift through those and get the real scoop on the game I buy it or don't.  If the game is really that good, 1 month won't mean squat when compared the years I'll spend playing it.

So far this self imposed rule has saved me $685, saved me from buying games before they released that turned out to be total crap.   I dunno about you guys, but that's nothing to sniff at for me.  As a married guy, with a very controled income, $700 bucks is quite a bit of extrra cash.

well said

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Preorder ESO?  No.  But in fairness I'm not a pre-order type of person.

I see ESO as a TES MMO for MMORPG fans, not for TES fans of which I count myself as one.  For _me_ it's too much of a GW2 / DAOC hybrid for me to get excited over it.  I'm not a fan of GW2 or DAOC, although I respect both for being what they are.  As such, I don't think it likely that I will ever be an ESO fan, even if it turns out to be a great game for those who like the design.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

To be honest, it looks very linear and typical.

"We have a compass that will show you the points of interest etc." It will most likely be your typical quest hub to quest hub game.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Negative.

They destroyed my interest in the game when they released information on cross realm grouping after level cap.  I'm supposed to be friends with the people I'm killing now?  Yeah, makes sense to me.

pretty much the same for me, bad choices in design is a no for me as well.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    I just want to play some MMORPG that has first person combat... So i'm giving them a chance.

• BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by ragz45

well said

I feel pretty much the same way. I hope TESO is great, but I've been disappointed too many times. I'll see how it turns out and decide whether to buy.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I may end up preordering (in spite of all claims to the contrary I may make) simply because I'll be ready for a new game then (having worn out GW2) and there really isn't anything else on my scope set to release in the same time period.  This is particularly true if it's buy to play.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I doubt it.  I'll wait for reviews on this one.  The good thing for people buying on day 1 (or earlier) is that the game is heavily instanced (or whatever they call the thing where you enter another "stage" of the world, can't remember right now), so there shouldn't be too many problems with everyone trying to do everything at once and getting in your way.
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Yes, I will be preordering 2 CE's.  One for myself and the other for my wife.  This game is shaping up to be the game I have always wanted.  The game cannot get into my hands fast enough.  
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by pacov
    I just want to play some MMORPG that has first person combat... So i'm giving them a chance.

This isn't first person combat right?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I havent preordered a game since Diablo 2, and will continue with that trend.

Have we all missed this article?  http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7219/An-Episode-of-Frustration.html

If your into it, just buy it at release.  Do not preorder anything ever basically regardless.  Who cares if they offer you some stupid cat mount or whatever if you just quite the game in a month.

As far as the cost as some people mentioned.  People should be wise with their money at all times regardless of the amount, not only do those frivolous mistakes add up to a lot of money over your life (just add up how many bad game purchases you have made over your lifetime), but it also leads to supporting bad practices and habits of business.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by pacov

This isn't first person combat right?

First person combat will be supported along with 3rd person.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Eurogamer review sounded like more of the same. Going to sit back and watch what happens. No real reason to pre-order right now. 
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Eurogamer review sounded like more of the same. Going to sit back and watch what happens. No real reason to pre-order right now. 

How many MMORPG's do you start out and say "THIS IS EFFING AWESOMEEEE" within the first few hours?

WoW is nothing special, Tera isnt that tolerable at the start, SWTOR wasnt tolerable at the start, Dragon Nest was eh at the start

(On a non-MMO level) If I stopped playing Tales of the Abyss after a few hours, I would have missed out on an awesome game. Most games take a few hours to pick up. Heck, Tales of the Abyss takes like 12 hours to pick up because thats when the main character stops acting like a D bag, and that game is praised. Kingdom Hearts, Tales of.., and many more.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by hMJem

How many MMORPG's do you start out and say "THIS IS EFFING AWESOMEEEE" within the first few hours?

WoW is nothing special, Tera isnt that tolerable at the start, SWTOR wasnt tolerable at the start, Dragon Nest was eh at the start

(On a non-MMO level) If I stopped playing Tales of the Abyss after a few hours, I would have missed out on an awesome game. Most games take a few hours to pick up. Heck, Tales of the Abyss takes like 12 hours to pick up because thats when the main character stops acting like a D bag, and that game is praised. Kingdom Hearts, Tales of.., and many more.

Years ago, when they all didn't follow the same tired formulas I said that about most of them in the first few hours. The reviewer said it like it will be. This is not Elder Scrolls made into an MMO it is an MMO with an Elder Scrolls theme. Every thing that has been said about this game in previews and dev videos so far, screams... more of the same.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by hMJem

Years ago, when they all didn't follow the same tired formulas I said that about most of them in the first few hours. The reviewer said it like it will be. This is not Elder Scrolls made into an MMO it is an MMO with an Elder Scrolls theme. Every thing that has been said about this game in previews and dev videos so far, screams... more of the same.

See, I think this is the problem though. I've only played Skyrim (Which I enjoyed) but I've played Everquest, WoW, Tera, Dragon Nest, SWTOR, and dabbled in a couple others. People who are expecting "I just want a fully open world that me and my friends can adventure in" that is NOT what an MMORPG is, and I doubt you and your friend would subscribe to a $60 retail game at $15 a month (I am guessing it will be sub to play) for a year to do that. Would you? When I see and hear about this game, as an MMORPG player of a long time, it DOES have a distinct feel/look to it. The more I hear/read/see, I think "This is definitely in an Elder Scrolls setting and makes it feel like Elder Scrolls"

You cant make Skyrim into an MMO because it isnt designed to be an MMO. Get your unrealistic expectations out the door.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

After Diablo 3 debackle and TOR debacle, I think people need to let a game launch and watch how it goes. You can throw your money away if you choose to, it's a free country. But if you do please don't complain when your preconceived expectations of the game being something it's NOT finally hits you while playing, and you seek a forum like this to vent how you wasted money on another WOW clone.

People that pre-order (me included) sometimes claim they do it for the swag, but in truth you know you wanted to get early access and grab your character names before other people do, so you could boast you were a founder. I don't know many people who like the swag but I guess a good cover story after the game tanks is good to save face LOL.

Of course this is my own opinion, i could be a 100% wrong and would love to have a different viewpoint, but thats what I think.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well the combat i read it sounds meh, only the finess point system sounds good

the world divided and locked also the pvp focused on RvR and not between guilds, it sounds themepark like GW2 which is not bad, but there is not any competitve ...  but the locked regions its not acceptable ...

the lack of holy trinity sounds good and i love more and more deisgners go this way

i am not gonna preorder something it smells with subscription ...