Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Any decent quest-less MMOs around?

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

I am so tired of seeing a ! over a NPC's head, that I want to go the other way completely. Are there any decent fantasy MMOs still around that requires you to grind mobs as the sole means to progress? 

PS: Is this what you people so fondly call an "Asian grinder"?

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,257Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

I am so tired of seeing a ! over a NPC's head, that I want to go the other way completely. Are there any decent fantasy MMOs still around that requires you to grind mobs as the sole means to progress? 

you can grind mobs in any mmo. do you need developers to hold your hand for not doing quest but grinding the mobs instead?

come on. just grind the mobs if thats what you like. Do what you enjoy.

• svandysvandy mount holly, NJPosts: 227Member Uncommon
    Is FFXI still running? Thats literally all the game was from what I remember.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox NottinghamPosts: 676Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by svandy
    Is FFXI still running? Thats literally all the game was from what I remember.

Unfortunately not after they implimented Field Books.  Now days you can kill 5-10 mobs and get a huge ass EXP rewarrd and possibly gil for your troubles which you can repeat to a certain cap then move on to the next area which of course has more of these books.  99% of the community now days actually zerg rush these missions by teaming up against monsters you'd consider easy for even a 6 man team to kill just for the sake of easy field book exp, its rediculous.  To be honest, I think this really killed FFXI, or at least it did for me and some veterans who preferred it when people actually needed to team up before even level 20 and learn how to play as a group rather than zerg rushing to max level.  Oh and personally I wouldn't recommend solo grinding this, though again Square Enix has made that easier too with exp increases and the oh so wonderful exp boost bracelets and rerez earrings to keep you going.  Yep, FFXI isn't what it used to be, they catered to all he cry baby carebears who wanted their hands held all the way to the end.

imageimage

• SagasaintSagasaint Miami, FLPosts: 460Member

quests are just a clever(?) way to desguise a mob grind.

in most MMOs the quest reward is an useless item and a minimal fraction of the exp you already gained when killing the required mobs to complete your goal.

in all of them you may aswell skip the "get quest" and "turn in quest" steps and use that time to kill a few more mobs for similar if not higher profit

so to answer your question: yes, lots of decent quest-less MMOs around. all of the ones in the game's list, actually, if you just play them like that

• tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

Hmm, no, I think a game needs to be designed for grinding only.  In a game like WoW, you can grind the mobs, yes, but the reward for doing that is way too low compared to quest rewards, etc.

So, when I do go out grinding mobs, I want to be rewarded accordingly by means of decent world drops.

• SagasaintSagasaint Miami, FLPosts: 460Member

you asked for progression, and I gave you that, you can go from 1 to max level by grinding mobs in all games

maybe you should have asked specifically for gear progression.  in that case the answer is, once again, simple

none. 

all games out there are mostly based around a raid-or-die mentallity where the best gear is handed out by doing instanced raid content, never by simply grinding mobs.

the few that dare breaking from that formula are sandbox games where you can craft your own endgame equipment, and crafting is not grinding mobs either.

• tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

you asked for progression, and I gave you that, you can go from 1 to max level by grinding mobs in all games

maybe you should have asked specifically for gear progression.  in that case the answer is, once again, simple

none. 

all games out there are mostly based around a raid-or-die mentallity where the best gear is handed out by doing instanced raid content, never by simply grinding mobs.

the few that dare breaking from that formula are sandbox games where you can craft your own endgame equipment, and crafting is not grinding mobs either.

I am happy with crafting the gear if some or most of the ingredients and materials are dropped from mobs. But, yeah, I suspected that there was none. I will wait and see what EQ next bring then.

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    You may try Ryzom. It has a very open ended crafting system and I don't remember that many quests, if any. I do agree with you that a game is designed around either quest or mob grinding. I'm honestly not sure why they don't offer good xp for both mob kills and quest kills but they don't.

This sounds a bit involved but you may try a few titles and track the xp gain from mobs and quest turn in. You may find your game.
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets London, LAPosts: 212Member Uncommon

I suppose GW2 would classify as a questless MMO.

Unfortunately its lack of questy grindiness also means that its charm wears off somewhere around the time that you realise they've failed to replace this base motivation with anything else worth doing..which was about a week or two for me.

P.S. no MMO strictly has anything 'worth doing' in real terms other than as a distraction from the RL grind but you know what I mean.

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,057Member Uncommon
    Parallel Kingdom , no quests what so ever

• PhantasmagoriaPhantasmagoria Chicago, ILPosts: 63Member
    Well if you're familiar with Metin (sorta feels like Diablo 2), there are no quests and all you do is grind and grind and grind until you reach cap level 600 ^^ pretty boring actually and the graphics are so... uhg.
  • RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by tuppe99

you can grind mobs in any mmo. do you need developers to hold your hand for not doing quest but grinding the mobs instead?

come on. just grind the mobs if thats what you like. Do what you enjoy.

Sad thing is that, as you forget, is most of the rewards in coin and equipment upgrades are from quest rewards..  That is the almost necessary carrot that everyone needs to chase..  Remove the quest rewards and how many people do you honestly feel will go completing them?  I know I wouldn't..