Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Are you a DAOCer or NonDAOCer?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I see a trend on this forum of DAOCers and NonDAOCers heading down a path to conflict. So out of curiosity I decided to ask. To help I consider a DAOCer someone that loved DAOC and is now extremely interested in CU because they want it to be the spiritual successor to DAOC. I consider a Non DAOCer someone that either didn't play, or played DAOC a bit, but does not care if CU is anything like DAOC as long as it's a fun game.

Comments

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

FYI I did not play DAOC, but I have many friends that did so I'm aware that it was a really fun hight quality game ;) I did play WAR...yeah...I still miss my Orcs. Man I love Orcs. Loved all the aesthetics in WAR actually, sigh.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member

I played DAoC from release and loved it. Just recently wnet back and started playing again and still love it. But I don't expect CU to be the spiritual successor to DAoC. I just expect it to be fun.

Also played WAR from early Beta and loved that to.

• EllyaEllya leylandPosts: 99Member

I also played DaoC from release (closed beta , in fact) and I loved it (until ToA).  Although I'm excited that CU will draw on some of the ideals and principles, and also the lore of DAoC, I'm not necessarily wanting it to be DAoC2. 

I just believe that mmo games have lost something over the years, and that CU might be able to bring it back :)

• KuroiKuroi santa cruz, CAPosts: 23Member Uncommon
    DAoCer here, but I have been away for many years. I would go back if it wasn't $15 a month. I may try the trial to see how the population is.
  • SpeelySpeely Seattle, WAPosts: 861Member
    DAoC is my favorite game ever. No hyperbole at all.

I don't want CU to be DAoC2. I want it to be better, and surprise us all again like DAoC did when it released.
  • MortifyMortify None of your BusinessPosts: 95Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see a trend on this forum of DAOCers and NonDAOCers heading down a path to conflict. 

I think that that conflict won't be of any relevance to the final game.

What MJ has stated on several occasions is that he's quite interested what the backers have to say on the backers forum that will be created.

The interesting question (for me) will be what % of the  backers of CU are DAOCers.

There will ofcourse always be conflicts, no matter what, butIf the backers are 80% (ex)daoc players it'll look different from what it would be if 50% are (ex) daoc players.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• KuroiKuroi santa cruz, CAPosts: 23Member Uncommon

Same here. Been playing MMos since EQ in '99. They used to seem like fine dining at that time with great dev/client interactions, but now they seem like McDonald's. Or the taco truck. 

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I was a hard core DAOCer for the first 6 years after release. I did every play style possible. I played more casually for another year or two after coming back to it after quitting WAR.

I'm actually thinking of re-activating when they get around to launching the new re-enlistment campaign in a few months especially if I can play for free for a week or two first.

I am hoping and expecting CU to have many of the best features of DAOC while also doing many things in its own unique way.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon

I enjoyed DAOC (preferred the FFA PVP servers however) and I don't see this being a spiritual successor to DAOC, but rather an fun new title that will either stand or fall on its own merits.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JasonJJasonJ New Port Richey, FLPosts: 395Member

Played it for a while, tried the RvR and walked away. I cant stand having my hand held when it comes to PvP. If a developer feels the need to force it, its because it isnt good. Sure dont want it from someone that even states he doesnt feel the player is smart enough to know who the enemy is, so they MUST make it clear for them.

Its actually sad when you think about it just how little respect they have for their own consumers. And dont get me started on the entire "realm pride" fiasco lol, as if its not possible to be proud of your side unless the game has invisible walls and racial barriers.

• GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuroi
    DAoCer here, but I have been away for many years. I would go back if it wasn't $15 a month. I may try the trial to see how the population is.

If they reduced the subscription to like $7.99 or something, I'd have 3 subscription games I'd be subscribed to lol

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 158Member
    SWG & DAOC are the #1 games of all time.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • cynistrecynistre sarasota, FLPosts: 6Member
    played over 5+ years on DAoC and there hasn't been a game since that has yet given me the most fun and fondest memories as the community on DAoC/Kay.  Damn, i miss those guys/gals, even the smelly Midgards and those stinky Albions.  CU may not live up to the old standard i have for OLD DAoC, but i'm gonna sure give it a hell of a try.
  • WolvanWolvan New Lenox, ILPosts: 49Member

DAOC from day 1 release till a while after New Frontiers and its killing of the game.

Played other games before DAOC (AC, EQ, NWN on AOL!) and many many games since.

Hope CU gives me the same feeling I got from DAOC, the shaky hands while sneaking around, taking keeps and running with relics. (don't have to be those exact things, but the same feelings)

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    My name is Plastic-Metal and I'm a DAoCer.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• OdamanOdaman Satesboro, GAPosts: 194Member
    DAoCer.... but unlike many I played for 10+yrs straight and didn't quit because of toa/nf. Toa was bad for pvp (masterful pve expansion), but NF with all its flaws was far better than OF ever was. I don't expect daoc2, I just expect MJ to remember what worked in that game and not shun it like they did with war.
  • wormedwormed Calgary, ABPosts: 374Member Uncommon

I obviously consider myself a non-DAoCer since I think my highest level character was something like 30. All I want is skill-based combat. Does it have to be 'action' combat a la Tera... not necessarily. I considered Aion to have some pretty skillful combat. 

All I hope for is that I can solo PvP, help the realm and if I'm better than a group of bad players, I should be able to take them on with good skills, tactics and know how. I'll be a happy player with that.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Played it for a while, tried the RvR and walked away. I cant stand having my hand held when it comes to PvP. If a developer feels the need to force it, its because it isnt good. Sure dont want it from someone that even states he doesnt feel the player is smart enough to know who the enemy is, so they MUST make it clear for them.

Its actually sad when you think about it just how little respect they have for their own consumers. And dont get me started on the entire "realm pride" fiasco lol, as if its not possible to be proud of your side unless the game has invisible walls and racial barriers.

I'm curious what game you actually played because DAoC is still to this day, one of the least 'hand holding' MMOs on the market.  I understand someone not feeling the 'realm pride' but it still brings me back to..  what game are you confusing with DAoC?

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• shawn01shawn01 nashua, NHPosts: 153Member Common

I played daoc for 10 years, quit in 2011 for the last time. I love Daoc, i still think about things i did there 10 years ago, the people i met and killed. Loved the pve and loved the pvp even more. Perfect game. Now if we could only get them to make daoc clones instead of WoW clones.

Lately i'm playing planetside2, and although its a fps it gives me the same thrill of large scale pvp combat. Awesome and i love it. If you miss Daoc and want a game that offers a similar pvp experience, with three factions, play planetside2 its free to play. I used to be against fps, but now that im used to the first person prospective i love it.

• QallidexzQallidexz Austin, TXPosts: 253Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see a trend on this forum of DAOCers and NonDAOCers heading down a path to conflict. So out of curiosity I decided to ask. To help I consider a DAOCer someone that loved DAOC and is now extremely interested in CU because they want it to be the spiritual successor to DAOC. I consider a Non DAOCer someone that either didn't play, or played DAOC a bit, but does not care if CU is anything like DAOC as long as it's a fun game.

WIAIT. There are NON-DAoC'ers here? WTF are they doing here? Who was in charge of invitations?  

• WazlukWazluk Killeen, TXPosts: 159Member
    DAOCer(Hib - Iseult) played from about 3 years pretty "hardcore" and than a year off and on.  I'd probably go back and play if they still didn't want $15 a month for it...

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb New York, NYPosts: 167Member

Tested during DAoC Phase 2 closed beta and played into release.

MIdgard realm on Merlin and when Mordred released as well. Stopped playing  around when ToA went live.

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• beibhinnbeibhinn EnnisPosts: 26Member Uncommon
    DAoC since 2 months after release, still loving it today!

Dark Age of Camelot Community Lead

Postcount.net Admin

Ex IGN.com Board Moderator
    Ex VN Board Senior Manager, Camelot Vault SM, Warhammer Vault SM, IGNVault Editorial Coordinator.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Washington, DCPosts: 196Member

I am both.  I loved DAOC, but I also loved games like EQ and SWG.  Can't stand ez-mode follow-the-path theme park games like WoW, SWTOR, LOTRO, etc.

Give me community.  Give me challenge.  Give me RvR (or really any sort of empire PvP).  Give me an in-depth crafting and economic system.  That's enough for me.

• gylnnegylnne South Hutchinson, KSPosts: 320Member
    Originally posted by Kuroi

They used to seem like fine dining at that time with great dev/client interactions, but now they seem like McDonald's. Or the taco truck. 

lol and totally agree.