Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is my graphic performance so bad?

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

I see 4 ports there on the 690

nvm just checked post history

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by elitero

I see 4 ports there on the 690

nvm just checked post history

You can only use three in "Maximize 3D performance" mode.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Yea you use 3 on max performance and you set one for just a side monitor 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_690_review,7.html

Yea you use 3 on max performance and you set one for just a side monitor 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_690_review,7.html

You must look more closely my young padawan learner. That's the surround setting, not maxmium 3D performance.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't much follow the game anymore but lastr i remember they had a problem with their coding that helps optimize graphics.

I am tired right now ,so i forget terms but basically grahpics need to draw ONLY what you see,trying to draw everything in a map is just real bad.

Also different areas would matter,example how many opbjects are been drawn.One of hte main things to turn down in games is Shadows [off] and Shaders.

However as i have played EQ2 many times,they optiomized the settings poorly,where as changes seem to be more off or on  with very little variance in settings.This could be the case in this game as well,so you might think you turn down a setting a little and it does nothing.

Turning shadows completely off finally makes the game run acceptably, but it's not really acceptable that I have to run with no shadows given my specs.

Doing shadows properly is computationally intractible on current hardware, unless it's for a scene with very simple geometry.  Yes, even on your hardware, and yes, I'm fully aware that the GeForce GTX 690 (or rather, two of them for quad SLI) was the video card of choice for maximum performance at any price gaming rigs not very long ago.

If a game is going to have shadows at all, it's basically a trade-off of how far wrong they want the shadows to be versus how big of a performance hit they want them to demand.  And if you're not good at coding them, you can end up with a huge performance hit for very bad shadows.

I haven't experimented with Guild Wars 2's shadows to see how they work.  I turn shadows off because they're ugly.  Never mind the performance hit; the game looks better with shadows off.  It's not a Guild Wars 2 thing; that's true of most games.  The goal of tweaking settings is to make the game look nice, not to minimize your frame rates.

Also, if you're using SSAA, you should be aware that that brings an enormous performance hit, as well.

I don't know if it's something wrong with your system, or if ArenaNet merely philosophically feels that it's better to let players turn settings up as far as they want and live with the consequences, rather than cap settings well below what some gaming rigs could handle so that more people can be satisfied that they're running the game on maximum settings.

I also have no idea whether SLI is working properly on your rig.  SLI, like CrossFire, is rather finicky, and it's not hard to imagine that having an extra video card in the system displaying some other monitor could throw things off.

Originally posted by Kaleston

I found shadows, reflections and postprocessing are the worst.

There are also some rumors about data flow in graphics card. I'm not expert in this field, but apparently it has nothing to do with processors and how much memory you have, but with how wide buses are and how fast your graphic card can transfer data.

Reflections are another thing that is computationally intractible, at least if you really want to run wild with them.  Though even with reflections on, the only ones I've noticed are for the surface of the water, and having one reflection in the scene that doesn't need to be terribly accurate (because uneven surface of the water will break your intuition on exactly what it should look like, anyway) is more manageable.

Guild Wars 2 is very sensitive to memory bandwidth.  But a GeForce GTX 690 has 192 GB/s of memory bandwidth per GPU, which should be plenty enough for good performance.  2 GB of video memory per GPU should also be plenty unless you've found some way to enable much higher resolution textures that I'm not aware of.

Originally posted by Kaleston

Many of my guildmates complain, there was something in latest patches, which made game extremely laggy (in graphic sense, not network lag). There is definitely something in settings, that literaly kills your performance...

I found shadows, reflections and postprocessing are the worst.

There are also some rumors about data flow in graphics card. I'm not expert in this field, but apparently it has nothing to do with processors and how much memory you have, but with how wide buses are and how fast your graphic card can transfer data.

I read something about 690's having half the memory bus size because of the fact that it's two GPUs in one PCI slot, so perhaps that's part of the issue.

That's for PCI Express bandwidth, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that is.  For starters, most X79 motherboards have two PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots.  Even having the second video card in the system should still leave you with the full PCI Express 3.0 x16 bandwidth for your main video card, unless you were stupid about which slots you used.  (Consult your motherboard manual if you're not sure.)

Furthermore, while I'm not sure how SLI works internally, the only way that I could imagine that it could work without being specifically, intentionally implemented in each game (which doesn't happen) is if video drivers interpret all rendering commands as being sent to one particular GPU until a frame ends, then all rendering commands go to the other GPU until the next frame ends, and so forth.  (Commands to buffer data and some other such things, on the other hand, would have to be sent to both GPUs.)  If that's the case, then even if the PCI Express bandwidth is shared between both GPUs, you'll effectively only have one GPU using it at a time.  I doubt that's a bottleneck on your system unless you find a creative way to sabotage it.

-----

Your card is effectively two GeForce GTX 680s on a single card, and then clocked lower.  While that does mean that each GPU only gets half of the card's memory bandwidth, that "half" is as much as a full normal GeForce GTX 680 gets.  And that's a lot.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Just curious... what's the point of having so many monitors then if not for surround gaming?

I read something about 690's having half the memory bus size because of the fact that it's two GPUs in one PCI slot, so perhaps that's part of the issue.

Personaly, if I wanted a "many monitors" system, I'd rather go for 2x680 than 1x690... or even better, if I really want to get mad, 2x AMD 7970, which support 6 displays each.

AMD does do multi-monitors better than Nvidia.  With appropriate AMD cards, you can have six completely separate surfaces each doing their own thing.  With Nvidia, you can plug four monitors into a single card, but they can't be doing four completely independent things.

Nvidia will likely catch up in multi-monitor support with their Maxwell cards around the end of this year.  AMD started on this years ago and kept it secret, so Nvidia didn't find out about it until shortly before the first AMD cards that already supported it launched.  If something needs to be implemented in silicon to work properly, it takes years from the time you decide to do it to the time that it's available for consumers to buy.

Just curious... what's the point of having so many monitors then if not for surround gaming?

Personaly, if I wanted a "many monitors" system, I'd rather go for 2x680 than 1x690... or even better, if I really want to get mad, 2x AMD 7970, which support 6 displays each.

Well yeah, that'd be ideal, but I blew all my budget on the main system, so now I'm chilling with my old 7800 until I can get a better card (Not so much in terms of power, but in ports, as the 7800 only has two). I hope there's a way I can run an AMD card with an Nvidia card in one system that isn't half broken, because 6 ports is bawse. I've heard windows can run 2 drivers at the same time, but it's buggy. Should look into that for even my current set up.

If you're going to run games off of the GTX 690 and only stuff that isn't demanding on the other card, then you don't need a top end card to display several monitors.  Any old card with a bunch of monitor ports will do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125435

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

I apologize if this has been addressed already, I was excited to add because I had this problem with my 480 sli setup but found a solution that worked for me...so I am posting after only reading the first post.

Sorry!

I had ambient occlusion turned on.  GW2 does not have very optimized AO.  When I used nvidia inspector to switch to MW2's AO, my framerate went way up, to the point where I get 60 fps in PvE and 30 fps in huge wvw battles.  To keep using AO you do have to keep reflections off, however, and that may have something else that fixed things for me.

If you have AO turned off, definitely fiddle with the settings to see which one makes your framerate tank.  The shadows engine in the game has always been very poorly optimized, I believe it draws shadows immediately when objects appear on screen, and forgets them as soon as they are off-screen again.

Last bit of helpful advice I have:  I was using the beta drivers and they for some reason absolutely destroy performance in GW2.  I was getting the same old massive fps drops when turning.  Reverting to WHQL drivers solved this.

I hope this helps.

EDIT:  I saw you shortly after posted what drivers you have, and that turning shadows off is in fact what fixes your performance.  I think it would be worthwhile to remove your old card and just leave the 690 in so you can try out the latest whql drivers and see how that addresses your performance.  I definitely did get poor performance with shadows on ultra until a few drivers ago, but on the other hand I was always able to run the game well at medium shadows.

EDIT2:  Also, overclock your CPU if you have not already.  The i7s can oc like champs, and the performance boost is worth it.  GW2 can definitely be a CPU bound game.

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    The game probably is not optimized properly for higher end cards.

Well it's not the same card, but it is in the same series and mine runs great! GTX 670

Like I asked the OP before, is your card overheating? You have two cards in your box, is it ventilated enough?

Don't have anything installed that can tell me, but I doubt it. I've played Crysis 2 for like 12 hours straight with it and it runs like butter. Everything else I play runs like butter too. It's only Guild Wars that plays bad. And my case in an Alienware Aurora R4, so it has whatever ventilation that has.

Portable version if you just feel like checking. Portable GPU-Z.

The first GPU in the 690 is at 82C at 60% utilization on average, and the second one is at 72C at 50% utlilzation on average. And the 7800 is at 65C at 4% utlization. Don't know if those are good temperatures or not.

That doesn't sound like overheating, though it could be a case of something else besides the GPUs overheating.  The GeForce GTX 590 had a severe case of this, though Nvidia seems to have tried to make the GTX 690 into a real card that people might actually want as opposed to the stupid marketing stunt that was the GTX 590.

Regardless, overheating usually makes performance throttle way back, not just give you 30 frames per second or some such.  If you were seeing 5 frames per second, I'd suspect overheating.  I suppose it could theoretically be the CPU overheating, but that would take quite a bit of doing when you're not actually pushing it very hard.

Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by saurus123

just unpark cores in your CPU

strange that no one told you that

all these experts in this topic :)

What does unparking mean?

it means you dont use full potential of your cpu

sometimes win7 just park your CPU mostly the new i7

just google to find more info or

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

It's very, very unlikely that that is the problem.  Basically, if CPU cores aren't being used, the processor will turn them off to save power.  It will only do this if they're not in use.  It is extremely unlikely that a game could trigger problems with this, at least if you're running Windows 7 or later.

Vista botched its handling of multi-core processors badly enough that it could be a problem there.  Vista would intentionally move threads to cores that weren't in use, so that the thread would have to stop for a few milliseconds until the core could be turned back on.  Or rather, in Vista's day, underclocking the cores as being idle was the more common problem; power gating to turn off a core entirely didn't come until later.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Let it go, people.  The guy is not willing to drop his second, older card.  He isn't going to do that type of problem solving to see if the 690 plays nice by itself as opposed to playing mean with others.

Move along now.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

me it uses 3 core effectivly (a la ff14)but one core it use massivly (7/8 of 100% proccssing power)also it is never the same core,i play this session it might be core 1 ,in haf an hour i go play another new session it will be core 2 then afterward core 3 etc!

A program normally doesn't tell the OS which CPU core to use.  Rather, the program breaks work into a bunch of threads and lets the OS decide where to put them.  While you can set affinity of a program to a particular core, it's usually a bad idea to do that.

I have a six core i7-3930k, a GTX 690, 16 GB of RAM, and an SSD, and for some reason the game is just choppy and slow, most noticeably if I spin around really fast, causing everything to lock up for like half a second.

I turned off dual GPU mode for the 690, turned off windowed mode for the game, and tried messing with the graphics settings but nothing really helped.

Maybe it's my Nvidia drivers, as I'm stuck on 307.74 because I use a second 7800 GTX card for extra monitors, and that's the last driver to support that card, but these drivers came out well after Guild Wars 2 was released.

With all graphics settings maxed (No vertical sync), running in a straight line in the Azura starting area I get like 45-60 FPS depending on the area, and as soon as I start even slightly turning, it drops to 25-45 FPS.

I feel like I should be getting better results with my specs.

Its like this, if you do not take out the 7800 you will get slow performance, you are using something VERY old vs somethign VERY new and not only that you are using drivers that only support the 7800 not the 690, as soon as you take that 7800 and install the new drivers then you should be running above 100 fps.

Here is another thing, when you have 2 things lets say you have 2 harddrive and you raid them if one is slower than the other it will only use the speeds of the old one, even with SLI even though you do not have the two cards SLI, but your over all performance is going to be according to the 7800 not the 690. Also you have 2 cards plugged in this means that you are running 8x PCI not 16 for the  690 . In anycase you are not using the 690 currently your PC is using the 7800 speeds to proccess everything. 

The drivers I'm using support both cards, and the 690 is the one rendering stuff, as evidenced in my high framerates in every other game, and by GPU-Z showing the load to be on the 690.

If you read the last line you wouldn't have posted and just did what I said, I will repeat, your 690 is performing at the rate of your 7800, just take out the 7800 install the new 314 drivers and see the performance.

Nonsense.  Nvidia only allows SLI to work with two identical cards.  At worst, if you have two of the same card with different clock speeds, it might clock one down to match the other.  But they don't allow you to try SLI with two cards of different generations.  The system in question is either using the two GPUs on the GTX 690 in SLI or only using one GPU to render games.  The 7800 only handles other monitors.

AMD allows CrossFire to be a little more versatile, but generally requires both cards to be based on the same GPU chip, unless it's the goofy asynchronous CrossFire that is so unreliable as to be stupid and pointless.

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Doesn't the 690 have multiple video outputs? I don't think you need a second card for a second monitor.

It has 4 outputs, but with dual GPU enabled, you can only use 3, and I have 4 monitors. And I want to get even more monitors, too.

This game was CPU heavy not GPU heavy at first they told us it was due to testing but they never fixed it. Add it to the long list of things they told us would happen but never did.

They probably genuinely did take out CPU-side testing code that was slowing the game down.  And it might have made a performance difference of something like 1%.  Don't expect miracle performance increases between beta testing and a game going live, as all that they can do is low-hanging fruit that should have been plucked years ago.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    So have you tried to remove the 7800GTX yet?

I have, and it's been a catastrophe. I took it out and put my 8800 GTX in its place, as that's still supported by the latest drivers.

It took like an hour to even get the card in the slot, and then Windows wouldn't boot, so I spent another hour trial and erroring to no avail, and ended up having to go to Best Buy to buy another copy of Windows 8 because I have no CD since I got it as a digital download. Except now it says that my new copy of Windows won't activate because the CD was for upgrades only and I had to do a clean install. Oh and then I accidentally converted my 4TB drive to a dynamic drive and lost everything on it, and now it's stuck at half capacity for some reason even though I converted it back to a basic drive.

But hey at least I'm on the latest drivers. I'll test GW2 when I reinstall it after I spend 5 hours trying to get the other half of my hard drive capacity back and recovering anything from it I can.

why did you put a 8800 in there? why not just leave in the 690 alone and try it like that? dual GPU cards have always been more hassle than they are worth imho then you add a third gpu you are just asking for issues..... for comparison i have a similar setup to you but use a 670 card and hit 100 fps+ in most areas with only a couple things turned down

I put it in because I want my fourth monitor. I don't want to play an MMO if I can't play it in my ideal set up. It's not like a single player game that I'll beat in 12 hours; MMOs are indefinate.

id sell the 690 and get a single gpu card then or two single gpu cards in sli/crossfire.. you are asking for to much trouble with a dual gpu card plus another card as well... are you dead set on nvidia? I'm a nvidia fan personally but AMD generally has better multiple display support

The 690 is still superior or negligible for every other game, so I don't want to sell it. And I can't have 2 cards in SLI because my motherboard only has 2 PCI-E slots, so I'd still be stuck with 3 monitors.

I really don't think the additional card is causing any issues. It's just the one I was using was old, so I was stuck on old drivers.

I didn't know they even made LGA 2011 motherboards that only had two PCI Express x16 slots.  I checked New Egg, and there is such an motherboard made by Intel.  But Intel motherboards are junk, and prone to have really weird problems caused by a flaky BIOS or some such.  Intel motherboards also sometimes come with really goofy configurations, like an X79 chipset with only two PCI Express x16 slots.

Originally posted by Baitness

I had ambient occlusion turned on.  GW2 does not have very optimized AO.  When I used nvidia inspector to switch to MW2's AO, my framerate went way up, to the point where I get 60 fps in PvE and 30 fps in huge wvw battles.  To keep using AO you do have to keep reflections off, however, and that may have something else that fixed things for me.

If you have AO turned off, definitely fiddle with the settings to see which one makes your framerate tank.  The shadows engine in the game has always been very poorly optimized, I believe it draws shadows immediately when objects appear on screen, and forgets them as soon as they are off-screen again.

Ambient occlusion is just a particular type of shadows.  There are a ton of different ways to implement it, some of which are a lot more fake than others--and some of which bring a much bigger performance hit than others.

Your last sentence that I quoted is complete nonsense.  If a 3D game is going to draw something at all, then it probably has to redraw it every single frame.  There are some things that you can do by rendering to a texture, but if you're going to reuse the same texture created this way across multiple frames, then it can't change at all.  For anything with 3D geometry in a 3D perspective viewpoint (as opposed to isometric) if the camera moves at all, then you have to redraw it from scratch every single frame.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Baitness

Ambient occlusion is just a particular type of shadows.  There are a ton of different ways to implement it, some of which are a lot more fake than others--and some of which bring a much bigger performance hit than others.

Your last sentence that I quoted is complete nonsense.  If a 3D game is going to draw something at all, then it probably has to redraw it every single frame.  There are some things that you can do by rendering to a texture, but if you're going to reuse the same texture created this way across multiple frames, then it can't change at all.  For anything with 3D geometry in a 3D perspective viewpoint (as opposed to isometric) if the camera moves at all, then you have to redraw it from scratch every single frame.

Negative many games store shadow maps for as many things as possible, eating up GPU memory.  I dont thing GW2 does this as it's gpu memory usage is really really really low.  Had this issue with another game before, would help if I could remember which one but I can't atm.  AO is not "just a particular type of shadows," if it is enabled at the driver level, it is essentially a hack forcing itself in.  I always have fun finding the best type of AO to use in games, and GW2 works with the AO from all the infinity ward 3 and up engines if I remember correctly.

Also the more times I read what he wrote, I have to ask:  Is he playing the game across 3 monitors?  Judging from the performance hit from supersampling I would imagine that running it at high resolutions causes a disproportionate fps drop.

EDIT:  Boy I like editing today.  Quick google search provides link to explain what I was saying much better than I did: http://diaryofagraphicsprogrammer.blogspot.com/2008/12/cached-shadow-maps.html

Finally got GW2 reinstalled, and the conclusion is: the updated drivers did nothing. And to those who still want to blame the old card, I've already stated earlier in the thread that I played GW2 before I even put the older card in a few months ago, so it's not the card, as it had the issue before I put it in.
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

As people keep asking you to do for a test remove the second card then do a clean install of newest drivers then try guildwars2 again, we are not forcing you to loose some of your precious monitors this is basic testing to lock down what is causing it.

Actually if you want to lock this down completely try this

unplug all monitors except primary

Unplug 7800 

Install latest drivers

Reboot

Boot up GW2

Then you know for 100% it is not your multi monitor setup or extra card, it doesn't help to say XXX title works every game uses different software.

Originally posted by calranthe

As people keep asking you to do for a test remove the second card then do a clean install of newest drivers then try guildwars2 again, we are not forcing you to loose some of your precious monitors this is basic testing to lock down what is causing it.

Actually if you want to lock this down completely try this

unplug all monitors except primary

Unplug 7800 

Install latest drivers

Reboot

Boot up GW2

Then you know for 100% it is not your multi monitor setup or extra card, it doesn't help to say XXX title works every game uses different software.

I refer to my above post. No point doing extra work and risk having to reinstall windows a second time for something I already know.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I have a six core i7-3930k, a GTX 690, 16 GB of RAM, and an SSD, and for some reason the game is just choppy and slow, most noticeably if I spin around really fast, causing everything to lock up for like half a second.

I turned off dual GPU mode for the 690, turned off windowed mode for the game, and tried messing with the graphics settings but nothing really helped.

Maybe it's my Nvidia drivers, as I'm stuck on 307.74 because I use a second 7800 GTX card for extra monitors, and that's the last driver to support that card, but these drivers came out well after Guild Wars 2 was released.

With all graphics settings maxed (No vertical sync), running in a straight line in the Azura starting area I get like 45-60 FPS depending on the area, and as soon as I start even slightly turning, it drops to 25-45 FPS.

I feel like I should be getting better results with my specs.

Hmm... completely smooth here. Probably some driver problem. But truth is while I can play completely fluid all maxed out wow, swtor, gw2, rift, .... have very bad perfonance lag with aoc, lotro, war, ... So I guess is also up to engine.

Try to run in windowed mode. Or full screen if you run in windowed. Not sure it will help but had this strange experience mainly with CO and partially with few others. I could barely move yet play in CO, no suggestion from support helped .... when I have discovered game runs completely fluid just switching from full screen to windowed (but zoomed to full screen of course). Guess again graphics card problem.

And again when we are with strange problems. Check for programs running in background you not really need at all times on. Check if i.e. you have Teamviewer running in background. I had this problem with CO where client would just not run at all. After month and hard work from support they sent me right suggestion.

About TSW game was crashing on freshly installed windows 7 every 10 to 30 minutes, performance bad .... helped like a hell switching to 64-bit version. No crashes at all. And now I'm enjoying smoother gameplay with all other games I play.

Or try old one - reinstall computer. :-)

I refer to my above post. No point doing extra work and risk having to reinstall windows a second time for something I already know.

No point in asking for advice if you don't intend to follow it and think you already know everything better...

Advice should only be followed when it meets rational standards. It's like not believing everything you hear. If we believed everything we heard the world would be chaos in form, and similarly so with following advice so blindly.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Once someone has to reinstall windows and lose their hard drive information because they removed a graphic card and replaced it with another you know something is wrong.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

This discussion has been closed.