Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next on Playstation 4

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    This would make it EQ Nil for me.

^ console games rarely if ever have translated well to PC. This doesn't necessarily mean with the new gen consoles, it won't. Just the probablity it won't, is still high, unless proven otherwise.

its uncommon but it has happened

FFXI Online was on the PS2 before it came to PC

DCUO in 2011 released for both the PC and PS3 simultaneously

Free Realms released to the PS3 - two years after the PC version

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    The PS4 box is going to be made of pretty standard PC parts, making it that much easier to move between it and the PC for games.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Putting MMO's on consoles is the dumbest idea any publisher/dev could ever do. 

Look at FFXI for example.  So many limitations on that game just because they were anchored to the console tech.  . .Forever without upgrades. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    MMOs need to come out of the ivory tower and take advantage of the massive installed base of console players. They may have to make the gameplay more interesting and less of a boring grindfest to do so.
  • voigtvoigt Member Posts: 23
    I have a feeling the comment was not meant for EQN but rather Planetside 2 on console.  
    Originally posted by voigt
    I have a feeling the comment was not meant for EQN but rather Planetside 2 on console.  

Could be - but I'm hoping for as many MMOs as possible on consoles. =)

Another good reason to put this game on PS4 would be if they decide to take "sandbox" to the extent that there's open-world PVP. A lot of PC gamers are stuck in the mainstream MMO paradigm that open-world PVP = griefing because they have had negative experiences in the past with poorly implemented systems.

With console gamers there is a massive market of people who don't have much MMO experience and may not even think twice about the PVP. If SOE is able to implement open-world PVP as part of an excellent, innovative and fun system, they would get enough console customers to keep the game going. (The hero-villain conflict in DC Universe Online is a ton of fun.) And the rave reviews/FP2 model would attract skeptical PC gamers to give it a try.

Of course, this all depends on how successful they are at achieving those holy grail pillars they talked about at PAX East 2013. And if one of the pillars is an excellent, innovative and fun open-world PVP system. I believe it has to be if they're aiming to create the biggest sandbox MMO ever. And if they put the game on PS4, I believe they can afford to take the risk.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    yes EQnext and PS4 are not connected.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• Darkarai79Darkarai79 Member Posts: 39
    Smed's Twiitter feed : " were excited about real life" oh shit!......hmmmmmmmmm
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    MMOs need to come out of the ivory tower and take advantage of the massive installed base of console players. ......

That's fine, make more MMOs for the consoles...just NOT EQN.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    And when they want to patch the game beyond the capabilities of PS4? Yeah, bad idea.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

My personal hype meter always takes a hit when I find out an MMO is also going console..

theyre nothing more than a ball and chain to the MMO.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I hate to say it but the Wii U & its tablet style controller lend itself to MMO's better than the Xbox or PS4.
    Originally posted by tank017

My personal hype meter always takes a hit when I find out an MMO is also going console.. theyre nothing more than a ball and chain to the MMO.

I agree. The community will bitch about interface hardware differences, and the game will be static. I know that friends of mine who played FF on the console thought it was great, but coming from the PC side, I don't like it. Only positive is the big cash flow for the game.

Originally posted by crysent

This would make it EQ Nil for me. I was excited about Dust until I found out it was a console game.

I bet you still end up playing it..

heh you may be right, but only because I want to spend time with friends :) I have pretty much stopped playing MMOs, but I do play Planetside 2. I just don't think MMORPGs are a complex enough toy for me anymore. If I don't have action, then the game has to be really enterprising to keep my attention these days.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    This would make it EQ Nil for me. I was excited about Dust until I found out it was a console game.

There is no way in hell it would be PS4 exclusive even if it does come out for that system.  Only would be in addition to the PC version.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

MMOs on the consoles are the future. For the mainstream market at least. 

PC gaming lost the podium years ago, we only need 1 successful  console's MMO,  then every other big budget mmo will be released as such. Look at FPS games, they were  meant to be played with a mouse, thats where you have precision, where you can aim properly with accuracy and speed, but hey,  where CoD makes the big bucks ? In a genre so dull and unispiring, i bet every mmo publisher's dream is to make a big hit over consoles. Be the CoD of MMOs, it would be the new WoW.

Maybe with this new generation where social and online features are being vastly explored and the hardware is very similar to a standard PC this new MMO is not that far from happening.

Originally posted by H.Coelho

MMOs on the consoles are the future. For the mainstream market at least.  PC gaming lost the podium years ago, we only need 1 successful  console's MMO,  then every other big budget mmo will be released as such. Look at FPS games, they were  meant to be played with a mouse, thats where you have precision, where you can aim properly with accuracy and speed, but hey,  where CoD makes the big bucks ? In a genre so dull and unispiring, i bet every mmo publisher's dream is to make a big hit over consoles. Be the CoD of MMOs, it would be the new WoW.Maybe with this new generation where social and online features are being vastly explored and the hardware is very similar to a standard PC this new MMO is not that far from happening.

Bring on Gaming Communism! WOOO!

Originally posted by H.Coelho

MMOs on the consoles are the future. For the mainstream market at least. 

PC gaming lost the podium years ago, we only need 1 successful  console's MMO,  then every other big budget mmo will be released as such. Look at FPS games, they were  meant to be played with a mouse, thats where you have precision, where you can aim properly with accuracy and speed, but hey,  where CoD makes the big bucks ? In a genre so dull and unispiring, i bet every mmo publisher's dream is to make a big hit over consoles. Be the CoD of MMOs, it would be the new WoW.

Maybe with this new generation where social and online features are being vastly explored and the hardware is very similar to a standard PC this new MMO is not that far from happening.

This.

I think DCUO was pretty successful and most of their players are on PS3. The game's executive producer thinks PS4 will be a great platform from MMOs..  (of course, he would say that...)

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/02/ps4-to-be-a-great-platform-for-mmos-says-dcuo-producer/

Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn also has a shot at proving console MMOs are viable.

Planetside 2 was confirmed for PS4!!!!! EQ Next is being built on the same engine!!! This is almost a done deal!!!!!! =D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

And Smedley on twitter:

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 3h

also the work that we are doing for Planetside 2 on PS4 is going to yield a faster PC version.. much better at multicore support.

Jarod Wikert ‏@Vykenos 2h

@j_smedley Any possiblity at mentioning if the same plan for EQN? Would help in planning my console/PC purchasing.

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 2h

@Vykenos :) there is always that possibility. Coincidentally Forgelight is used on EQN too

• DraedzDraedz Member Posts: 47
    Look at the specs on the consoles that have been announced... they are computers with controllers.  Its funny that this would make or break a gaming experience to you.  Take 5 minutes and look at the specs before you start getting outraged that it might be anything different than a modern PC game.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This stuff is good news for me since mmos havent really evolved on PC at all especially in gameplay cuz im really sick and tires of the same ol tab targetting and staring at a hotbar repeating 1-5 keys while stading still in front of the mob majority of my time in combat.
  • ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39

Enjoy having your EQN accounts hacked Ps4 players. Remember this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13260041

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by ninjapy

Enjoy having your EQN accounts hacked Ps4 players. Remember this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13260041

Ya cuz PC players dont get hacked at all in their mmo accounts right? I got hacked in WoW a couple of times. 

• TheRealFantomexTheRealFantomex Member Posts: 36

First the PS4 will have better specs than the majority of most pcs.

Second Smedley tweeted that they will not combine PS2 server populations between PS4 and pcs so you can bet they wouldnt combine them in Next.

EverQuest Nexus - http://www.eqnexus.com
    Head of Social Media and part time writer/interviewer.