Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People say they find the old school "Grind" yet if given the option to skip it, would they take it?

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Yes, I will "sort" my thoughts to myself.

I've stated this position many times.  There is no way to eliminate grind, because it is all perception.  The developers need to add many many activites, to prevent the players from becoming bored with the repeition, which they are doing.

The players need to recognize that it is their perception which makes a grind, which for the most part they don't.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've stated this position many times.  There is no way to eliminate grind, because it is all perception.  The developers need to add many many activites, to prevent the players from becoming bored with the repeition, which they are doing.

The players need to recognize that it is their perception which makes a grind, which for the most part they don't.

Actually, there is a way to eliminate grind, the issue your stuck on is the total elimination of grind. Certainly there is no way to make every single person happy, but many people share appreciation for the same things, by observing the variety of preferances, and coming up with methods that satisfy the most preferances as well as inventive ways to satisfy even opposing preferances, you eliminate a lot of grind, ergo, you satisfy a lot of customers, which equals a lot of money. Just because there are small portions of very unique people who will be disatisfied no matter which avenue is taken doesn't mean you don't eliminate the most grind possible.

This nonsensical side track is akin to you being assigned to make people happy and being distracted because you can not make everyone happy... that does not mean you stop making most ppl happy by using the most effective and approved techniques, you can still make many ppl happy, and if talented, a vast majority of them, being preoccupied with the impossibility to make everyone happy is just a distraction and a waste of thought.

And just for the record, I covered this subject thoroughly in the original response, we are just satisfying your need to disagree.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

Originally posted by BahamutKaiser

Actually, there is a way to eliminate grind, the issue your stuck on is the total elimination of grind. Certainly there is no way to make every single person happy, but many people share appreciation for the same things, by observing the variety of preferances, and coming up with methods that satisfy the most preferances as well as inventive ways to satisfy even opposing preferances, you eliminate a lot of grind, ergo, you satisfy a lot of customers, which equals a lot of money. Just because there are small portions of very unique people who will be disatisfied no matter which avenue is taken doesn't mean you don't eliminate the most grind possible.

This nonsensical side track is akin to you being assigned to make people happy and being distracted because you can not make everyone happy... that does not mean you stop making most ppl happy by using the most effective and approved techniques, you can still make many ppl happy, and if talented, a vast majority of them, being preoccupied with the impossibility to make everyone happy is just a distraction and a waste of thought.

And just for the record, I covered this subject thoroughly in the original response, we are just satisfying your need to disagree.

I'm glad your pointing out things that I am stuck on although I completely disagree that I am stuck on anything.  I have not ever nor implied that there is a way or I am trying to make everyone happy. I have not ever stated nor implied that anyone should ever even pay attention to the small percentage or outliers of any group.

Yes many people appreciate similiar things.  However once again it is still perception, if someone does something long enough, for most people it will start to become monotonous and unpleasant, ergo a grind.  This is where the developer comes in with a variety of tasks.  The player still needs to take responsibility for their actions and there thoughts, and recognize that the grind is largely because of the way they are choosing to play.

Intersting side tangents you have going on there with things I have never stated or implied though.

edit - anyway I'm off to bed.  I'll be glad to continue this conversation on how I'm tyring to please everyone, how you mangle definitions and your metaphysical manifestations of thoughts tomorrow.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I'm glad your pointing out things that I am stuck on although I completely disagree that I am stuck on anything.  I have not ever nor implied that there is a way or I am trying to make everyone happy. I have not ever stated nor implied that anyone should ever even pay attention to the small percentage or outliers of any group.

Yes many people appreciate similiar things.  However once again it is still perception, if someone does something long enough, for most people it will start to become monotonous and unpleasant, ergo a grind.  This is where the developer comes in with a variety of tasks.  The player still needs to take responsibility for their actions and there thoughts, and recognize that the grind is largely because of the way they are choosing to play.

Intersting side tangents you have going on there with things I have never stated or implied though.

LOL, OK guy who has his opinion of what grind is in his quote, think whatever you will, I don't need you to understand what is widely held and understood in marketing, psychology and philosophy, believe what you want, based on your opinion of thought, you can't be right or wrong anyway.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

LOL, OK guy who has his opinion of what grind is in his quote, think whatever you will, I don't need you to understand what is widely held and understood in marketing, psychology and philosophy, believe what you want, based on your opinion of thought, you can't be right or wrong anyway.

OK one last quote.  That isn't my definition, look up the word.  Words have meaning, grind is to wear down, a monotonous task.  We didn't invent a completely new word, we took a word that was allready there, that has meaning, and used it for gaming.

I have taken many philosophy and psychology classes.  I also work very closely with many psychologists and psychiatrist.  Every single one of them will tell you that you are responsible for your own thoughts and that you can change your thoughts, if you do not like something it is up to you to either change it, or change how you perceive it, or you accept it.  That is the basis behind most psychotherapeutic techniques such as CBT, DBT, narrative, expressive and positive pscyotherapy - that you can change your thoughts, and you can change your actions.

I am wrong many times, and yes our thoughts can and often are wrong, but so far the clinical and empirical reserach available sides with me.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Lot of people in the community say they enjoy the old school grinding that progression required in older MMOs.

But what if the same game offered options to players to choose to skip that grind?

would most of these people that enjoy the grind, use this option to skip the grind? I believe most people would.

but if that were the case, than that would mean "the grind" really wasn't enjoyable to begin with.

example:

if a MMO had 100 levels and each level took a really long time time to level, and could be set back by death Penality.

Most effective way to level is by mob grinding.

this fits old school grind model.

but add the option for players to skip all the leveling "if they choose"

how many fans of this old school mob level grinding, would use this option?

Doesn't seem fun, if willing to skip it.

playing Tetris,if I am having fun, why would I want to skip the fun? No point of that unless I wasn't having fun doing whatever that is.

but in MMO the grinding has been held up as being the greatest thing ever, but if most people would skip it at a heart beat if given the choice, that obviously its not as enjoyable as people believe.

This almost had me speechless, almost.  The "game" is playing something and completing it.  If you had a button to complete it, it would make the playing pointless.  Sure, many people might press the button but what type of real satisfaction did they get other than saying they beat something that took no effort.  I see what you were peicing together but it's a circular argument.

I would fall into the catagory of wanting something a little more "old school" but not because I enjoyed something that wasn't fun.  I liked that progressing was slower so it felt worth more.  What's the point of even having levels if it can be donw within a week? I think the trick is to find fun gameplay, or combinations of gameplay, and then stretch it out.  Yes, have the best of both worlds image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    in a FPS you are born into the world with all your abilities, in a RPG you evolve. To evolve you have to play or "grind" live with it or go play an FPS

That isnt exactly true...

Grind is when you repeat the same thing over and over, may that be mobgrinding, repetetive quests, dailies, dungeons or whatever.

You can have a RPG with rather varied content, but the problem is of course that many people will complain that there is nothing to do after a while in such game. It would still be a RPG though.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

OK one last quote.  That isn't my definition, look up the word.  Words have meaning, grind is to wear down, a monotonous task.  We didn't invent a completely new word, we took a word that was allready there, that has meaning, and used it for gaming.

I have taken many philosophy and psychology classes.  I also work very closely with many psychologists and psychiatrist.  Every single one of them will tell you that you are responsible for your own thoughts and that you can change your thoughts, if you do not like something it is up to you to either change it, or change how you perceive it, or you accept it.  That is the basis behind most psychotherapeutic techniques such as CBT, DBT, narrative, expressive and positive pscyotherapy - that you can change your thoughts, and you can change your actions.

The mind is a funny thing.  I can *theoretically* change my thoughts.  But I won't do so on my own, because the thoughts I have take me away from doing so. 

So... can I really change my thoughts?  Or: can I simply open myself up to allowing other perspectives and experiences the room to change them for me?

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by xeniar

il keep it in WoW terms. All the expansions (vanila asswel ofc) i activly took part in. the best in slot gear thing is irrelevent because of RNG.

You don't get the point he is trying to tell. We Rush to the endgame now making the game very shallow. and that endgame is dumbed down making it shallow asswel. All those games have the exact same concept and feeling towards them so after you have done most. and i say most because people indeed don't fully clear the game before quiting or beated all raids at that time. they don't have to to feel bored.

right now im playing WoW again and im in LFR doing the new raid throne of the thunder king or ToT for short. i have to say im abit exited. want to know why? we wiped. we went in there with no clue and he beat us down. it made me think again what is happening what can we do (without reading the now oh so handy ability guide) i (im a tank) came up with a strategy and we beat his ass to the ground right after it. i loved that again. i felt a tiny bit of an acomplishment. the next 2 bosses went about the same way. and i cannot wait to see the rest.

But when im done with the entire LFR in i think 4 weeks when they have released evrything im pretty much done with WoW again. oh you might say go do normal or heroic. Yeah i could but that issnt a comlishment. it then turns into dare i say it a grind. i will never get that feel of acomplishment again even if i strugle for weeks on killing a boss. because i already killed him. yes on a lower difficulty but that doesnt matter. that doesnt keep people playing.

to make it not shallow that boss needs to beat me down hard and i have to overcome him by hard work. then i can feel accomplished it would actually mean something for me to kill it.

What are you talking about?  RNG is not a substantial factor in a 3-15 minute boss fight, and every single upgrade increases your character's capabilities.  

Nothing about the rush to endgame makes the game shallow.  From my personal experience, the endless XP grind is actually shallower on account of never being put to different tests (fight the same mobs for 24 hours straight and you're going to level up, but to earn that next upgrade you need to learn Boss Mechanic #72.)

Honestly if you're concerned about game depth, I have no clue why you're giving up at LFR versions of bosses.  WOW is grindiest when you consider all the prerequisites to reaching its hardest content.  WOW is deepest at the points where tactical thinking is most required.  So you're giving up right at the point where things have started to get hard.

you said completely beat the game right and getting best in slot gear. getting BiS gear requires you to be lucky because of RNG. You cannot do anythign about RNG a person might do content 99 times and have not yet getten a certain item. while i get it in 1 go. Also i don t need BiS gear to do the content. look at the progress we have now with the new raid they took a day to kill all the bosses on normal. and now the new reset they are on 11-13 last time i checked. so within a week all those heroic bosses are going down. and they do it in gear from before the new patch. they might replace a thing or 2 but far away from BiS.  im currently not raiding so the LFR version are enough for me. i dont give up after the LFR versions. there jsut is no point in doing the other version i have seen the content been there done that. im currently not intrested with it.

you might ay the endles XP is more shallow u are probaply right but you are also wrong. People within your party (yeah you tought i was gonna solo?) make that grind so much more enjoyable but that is if the combat has a certain amount of downtime so you can talk with them have fun with them. and please. questing not shalow? kill 7 trolls. collect 15 seaweed kill one big guy and after that kill 10 deer collect 20 drake bones and kill another big guy.  OMG man it has so much depth.

Let me give you an example about people's diffrent thinking about beating a game. Im currently playing Tomb Raider on ps3, my goal for that game is beat the endboss and collect evrything inside that game. then i am done with it i "completed" the game.  A friend of mine played for 10 hours rushed trough it did not collect or search for anything beat the endboss and tought the game wasnt any fun. So here we are both beating the game but not having done the same thing because our goals are diffrent. another friend of mine would say that we Both did not beat the game because having it on platinum is the ultimate end of the game wich is true. but that requires multiplayer and i will not touch it because it does not intrest me.

And in WoW your not required to have all achievments and mounts etc to beat the game people have diffrent goals. When i reach mine i am done with it. despite their being more content. This is how content locust also think. actually i quited alot of the new MMO's without completing them because its the same old shit we get spoonfed.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

O.P. you need some perspective. Permit me to offer a similar situiation. If a hypothetical game let players create whatever characters they wanted to, which route would players take?

1. create a level 1 character with no gear and very weak stats
    2. create a level 1000 character with the best gear in the game and max stats.

Obviously everyone would pick (2) and your logic would conclude players don't like RPGs.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

People tend to seek the path of least resistance in MMO, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting an easier game, but with the ability to follow the community.

If you're walking around with a group of friends, you won't linger around in a shop if everyone is moving ahead, no matter how much you would prefer lingering in the shop, you tend to move in group. People don't like falling behind in MMO.

I actually tend to play alts if I'm ahead of friends I like playing with, just so I don't skip ahead of them.

Originally posted by CalmOceans

People tend to seek the path of least resistance in MMO, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting an easier game, but with the ability to follow the community.

If you're walking around with a group of friends, you won't linger around in a shop if everyone is moving ahead, no matter how much you would prefer lingering in the shop, you tend to move in group.

I've actually done it a few times.  If they're really my friends, they'll either wait up for me or at least let me know where to meet up later; and they know I'd do the same for them.

If they're not, I'm probably lingering for the sake of *losing* them and the shop is just an excuse.

But I'm also a bit of a contrarian; I tend to seek the road less travelled, which frequently coincides with the path of most resistance.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

If you're walking around with a group of friends, you won't linger around in a shop if everyone is moving ahead, no matter how much you would prefer lingering in the shop, you tend to move in group.

I've actually done it a few times.  If they're really my friends, they'll either wait up for me or at least let me know where to meet up later; and they know I'd do the same for them.

If they're not, I'm probably lingering for the sake of *losing* them and the shop is just an excuse.

But I'm also a bit of a contrarian; I tend to seek the road less travelled, which frequently coincides with the path of most resistance.

That is why he said "people TENDS to" .. not "All people will".

Plus, you really want to slow everyone down just because you like to linger?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If you're walking around with a group of friends, you won't linger around in a shop if everyone is moving ahead, no matter how much you would prefer lingering in the shop, you tend to move in group. People don't like falling behind in MMO.

It just seems like really weak design for a persistent world that such a thing is even possible. It's a problem that seems to exist primarily in themepark-focused MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It just seems like really weak design for a persistent world that such a thing is even possible. It's a problem that seems to exist primarily in themepark-focused MMOs.

It is. back when i played EQ i had a number of alts capped. i geus 5 chars total. now in all these them park MMO's i cant bear to even levelcap a second character it just gets boring seeing the same quests again being alone again.

in MMO's of old evryone leveled in there own pace. so there would always be people to level it wheter it would be there mains or an alt.

Why do you think blizzard has entire zones being xrealm now? to fill it up with people because there leveling trough quests is a bad design.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

*snip*

*snip*

So now it is not oke for him to make the group wait but it is oke for YOU to leave that group in the middle of a zone where they would most likeley die because it is in your convience.

I love it how you just change your toughts evrytime in every post you make.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Well, I still need to play the first game that doesn't  have progression of some kind. Street Gears is the only MMO I played that wasn't really progression based, but it's a a very different type of MMO.

EQ, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, Vindictus, EVE, FFXIV, RIft, etc. All of those games are progression based games.

Well, I still need to play the first game that doesn't  have progression of some kind. Street Gears is the only MMO I played that wasn't really progression based, but it's a a very different type of MMO.

EQ, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, Vindictus, EVE, FFXIV, RIft, etc. All of those games are progression based games.

Eve hits a point where progression (mostly) starts going horizontal instead of vertical.  Not completely, but enough where latecomers or those who 'fell behind' can reasonably 'catch up' on relevant points and still contribute.  It also took most of the 'grind' out of skill progression by... well, progressing skills entirely seperate from the grind. 

Or at least,, this was the case when I was still playing it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You're looking at it in an unnecessarily binary fashion.

In games like UO, EVE, ATITD, and Puzzle Pirates it is rare, if ever, that someone 'falls behind' because those games aren't linear in design or progression. There's more to do than just murder progressively higher level creatures, there's definitely far less level disparity, and there is much more accommodation of having mixed groups of players engaging in activities.

You can still have progression and not have a game where people are playing catch up or getting left behind because they missed a day of playing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I actually tend to play alts if I'm ahead of friends I like playing with, just so I don't skip ahead of them.

That's very much why I don't like to play in groups.  I am the guy who wants to linger.  I'm the one who wants to take it slow and be methodical and kill every enemy and loot every chest in every single dungeon I play through.  Virtually everyone else wants to rush to the end, kill the boss, then do it again in their mad dash to endgame.  I have no interest in endgame, I have no interest in being left behind the screaming idiots, therefore I don't want to play with them in the first place.  I spend most of my time "behind" everyone else, but since I'm not competitive, since I couldn't care less where I rank in comparison to anyone else, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

That's very much why I don't like to play in groups.  I am the guy who wants to linger.  I'm the one who wants to take it slow and be methodical and kill every enemy and loot every chest in every single dungeon I play through.  Virtually everyone else wants to rush to the end, kill the boss, then do it again in their mad dash to endgame.  I have no interest in endgame, I have no interest in being left behind the screaming idiots, therefore I don't want to play with them in the first place.  I spend most of my time "behind" everyone else, but since I'm not competitive, since I couldn't care less where I rank in comparison to anyone else, it doesn't bother me a bit.

so old school games would actually suit your playstyle. because evrything takes alot longer there u wont get behind because people will always be at your level. there arnt alot of screaming idiots there because it takes too long for them.

or have we not been able to make u see these points?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

you might ay the endles XP is more shallow u are probaply right but you are also wrong. People within your party (yeah you tought i was gonna solo?) make that grind so much more enjoyable but that is if the combat has a certain amount of downtime so you can talk with them have fun with them. and please. questing not shalow? kill 7 trolls. collect 15 seaweed kill one big guy and after that kill 10 deer collect 20 drake bones and kill another big guy.  OMG man it has so much depth.

Let me give you an example about people's diffrent thinking about beating a game. Im currently playing Tomb Raider on ps3, my goal for that game is beat the endboss and collect evrything inside that game. then i am done with it i "completed" the game.  A friend of mine played for 10 hours rushed trough it did not collect or search for anything beat the endboss and tought the game wasnt any fun. So here we are both beating the game but not having done the same thing because our goals are diffrent. another friend of mine would say that we Both did not beat the game because having it on platinum is the ultimate end of the game wich is true. but that requires multiplayer and i will not touch it because it does not intrest me.

And in WoW your not required to have all achievments and mounts etc to beat the game people have diffrent goals. When i reach mine i am done with it. despite their being more content. This is how content locust also think. actually i quited alot of the new MMO's without completing them because its the same old shit we get spoonfed.

Socialization exists in both systems, so it's a non-factor to the argument.  In fact just over the weekend I played a ton of heroics with an RL friend who started playing again.  (And relevant to this thread it should be noted that WOW's fast max level is precisely why he was able to play with me.)

Questing is certainly less shallow than endlessly grinding the same mob for hours, yes.  The number of varying factors tossed at you while questing (different tasks; different mob abilities; optimizing travel time) is considerably higher than sitting in the same area grinding the same mob types for extended periods of time.

It's fine not to fixate on the "100% completion" end type I mentioned.  I don't focus on that either: I don't care at all about collectibles or achievements in games.  The problem is you have a professed desire for depth, then choose to only play a game at its shallowest by not tackling harder difficulties.  That's just silly.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Cephus404

so old school games would actually suit your playstyle. because evrything takes alot longer there u wont get behind because people will always be at your level.

Only if you get in on or close to the ground floor.  Otherwise, the fact that everything takes longer works against you instead.  Everyone's ahead of you already, and the common 'oldschool experience' (EQ) tends to make you *need* them to get anywhere yourself.  So you actually fall further behind.

The only thing in what he said that might make 'old-school' suitable for him, is that he doesn't care if he gets left behind.

there arnt alot of screaming idiots there because it takes too long for them.

Disagree there.  The screaming idiots were still around, they just had a different flavor.

"I'm hardcore cuz i wait half an hour for a boat.  man up or gtfo noob."

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

People.. the word "grind" has different meaning to each of you. But let me remind all of you what the actual definition of "grind" is

Grind = Experience points.

those who do want to earn, are those who want arcade action.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So now it is not oke for him to make the group wait but it is oke for YOU to leave that group in the middle of a zone where they would most likeley die because it is in your convience.

Because I *can* quit whenever i want .. and i won't put up with waiting.

What thought is changed? In fact, quitting is much better than waiting ... if someone quit, i don't have to wait for him, do i?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because I *can* quit whenever i want .. and i won't put up with waiting.

What thought is changed? In fact, quitting is much better than waiting ... if someone quit, i don't have to wait for him, do i?

You can quite whenever you wants and you don't want to wait but you wont hesisitate to make other people wait on you.

its al you you you you you you. go play your SP games man begone.