Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Shroud of the Avatar: Renowned Author Tracy Hickman Joins Up

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Renowned fantasy author Tracy Hickman has joined forces with Richard Garriott and the team behind Shroud of the Avatar. Hickman will take the Lead Story Designer title for the Kickstarter project which today surpassed the $900k mark.

Tracy is known world-wide for creating the incredible worlds and stories of Dragonlance, the Deathgate Cycle, the Annals of Drakis and ‘Wayne of Gotham’. He, with his wife Laura, pioneered the use and integration of story into role playing games. He currently has over fifty books in print and is also a pioneer in the New Media publishing world of e-books and online serial publishing.

Read more on the Shroud of the Avatar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    This is like a 70's super group!
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I absolutely loved the Dragonlance books.

Getting genuinely excited about this now.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Loved her Dragonlance series when I was a kid.

Joined - July 2004

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Is this an mmo? From reading the kickstarter, it seems as though it has online capabilities and persistent online housing, but isnt an mmo.

I still supported it anyway.

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I LOVED Deathgate Cycle. It brings so many warm memories of old times, it kicks me into a nostalgia overdrive :/
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Personally not a fan at all. however that is really pretty meaningless. Look at how well Greenwood turned out for Kingdoms of Amular.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Loved her Dragonlance series when I was a kid.

his

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• BruwinBruwin Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Personally not a fan at all. however that is really pretty meaningless. Look at how well Greenwood turned out for Kingdoms of Amular.

What did Ed Greenwood have to do with Amalur? I know that RA Salvatore was attached to the project, and perhaps that's who you're thinking of.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Bruwin

Originally posted by jimdandy26

What did Ed Greenwood have to do with Amalur? I know that RA Salvatore was attached to the project, and perhaps that's who you're thinking of.

Derp, sorry, Even I make mistakes on occasion.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It has online capabilities and will be released around October 2014

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by shalhassan
    Is this an mmo? From reading the kickstarter, it seems as though it has online capabilities and persistent online housing, but isnt an mmo.

I still supported it anyway.

No.

"...Here are the ways we anticipate the game can be played:

Single player offline:
    This is the DRM free, completely off-line version of the game.  Your character is stored on your computer and can not be used in any of the online modes.  

Single Player Online (SPO)
    In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world.  However, you are not visible on anyone else’s screen, nor for grouping, and you don’t see anyone else in the world.  You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map.  Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.

Friends Play Online (FPO)
    In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you.  Like single player, this is just a server side filter.  For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.

Open Play Online (OPO)
    In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see.  This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you.

..."

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez